Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1107041 times)

Mark, feds27 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kilobyte

• Regular Contributor
    • My Website
Hi Elliot,

you can use this tool here http://www.codeppc.com/telechargements/msceinf/msceinf.htm to extract the cab file

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Offline elliotb

• Contributor
Thanks kilobyte! Didn't see this so I ended up just hacking up a python script (after spending over an hour trying to get the damn cab manager installed). Inline below in case it's useful for anyone else. Just takes a single arg which is the extracted infiniiVisionSetup.cab directory. Looks like its all working now!  :-+

#!/usr/bin/python
#
# Parse xml into cab file system
#
import sys
import os
import shutil
from xml.etree import ElementTree

# Dir name
dir = None

# get root
root = sys.argv[1]

if root is None:
    os.exit ("Must specify root")

with open (root + "/_setup.xml", 'rt') as f:
    tree = ElementTree.parse (f)

for node in tree.iter():

if node.attrib.get ('type') is not None:

# Check if we should get new base dir
        if node.attrib.get ('type')[0] == '\\':
            dir = node.attrib.get ('type')
            dir = dir.replace ("\\", "/")
            dir = dir[1:]
            print "mkdir %s" % dir
            if not os.path.exists (dir):
                os.makedirs (dir)

# Check if we found a destination dir
        else:
            if node.attrib.get ('translation') == 'install':
                dest = dir + '/' + node.attrib.get ('type')
#                print "Dest: %s" % dest

# Check if we have a source
    if node.tag == 'parm' and dir is not None:
        src = root + "/" + node.attrib.get ('value')
        print "cp %s %s" % (src, dest)
        shutil.copyfile (src, dest)

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
Man its been forever since I last checked this thread! Gotta scan through it and see whats new and whats changed in the game!
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline mongo

• Contributor
As someone whom had to pay the price for the "NEW" official MSO cable for the DSOX2000, which I hope actually works (as you cannot access the digital lines from the serial key enabled)  I wanted to upload a picture of the latest shipping cable. Note it does come with a licensed entitlement that you have to register but I did not try it without the key.

Note that it is not braided cable, but I am unwilling to pull it apart until I make sure I can decode SPI/I2C while watching the digital channels for timing.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:56:19 am by mongo »

Offline mongo

• Contributor
Note that if you have a DSOX2000 series scope the $700 cable is not worth your time, even if the cost isn't an issue and you need a MSO for slow speed serial will be better off writing a sketch on an Arduino Uno.  The MSO functionality on this series is less capable than anything else that dares to claim to be an MSO.  Despite all of the marketing fluff you can't even have the digital channels on while decoding serial and you cannot decode serial on the digital lines. 

This means that if you wanted to check your chip select timing on a SPI bus you are SOL.  Apparently the "hardware serial decoding" is done by something with less horsepower than an AVR.  As I do lots of slow speed serial work I will be putting the cable in a box next to my bus pirate as a reminder to remind myself the the glory days of HP/Agilent are gone.  :--

And yes it is my fault I thought it was a good thing they quit reselling Rigol at this price point, and was willing to wait 45 days for them to ship me a breakout cable and a sheet of paper.  But that delay removes any ability to return the main unit to a retailer.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:13:40 pm by mongo »

Offline elliotb

• Contributor
Thank you for sharing that mongo. Good to know... I've been looking for a used one online but based on your review I will abandon all hope for the digital lines.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
Hi mongo,

I'll follow up with you on the message you sent us, I'm sorry that the MSO isn't living up to what you need.

Some history on this, when we started shipping the 2000 X-Series scopes there was no decoding at all. After a lot of customer feedback, we enabled serial decoding with the 2.30 firmware release, but the caveat was that the 2000 X-Series only have one of the MegaZoom ASICs. The digital lines and serial decoding use the same block in the ASIC, so it's a physical impossibility to enable the decoding and the digital channels simultaneously.  The 3000T and up have two ASICs, which is why we support that in those scopes. It makes us sad, too.

The following users thanked this post: KE5FX, Andrew, mongo

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
For the avoidance of doubt, the older 3000A also supports full decode on analogue and digital channels.  :-+

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
For the avoidance of doubt, the older 3000A also supports full decode on analogue and digital channels.  :-+

Yes, correct.

It's also worth noting that if you are looking at a new scope, the MSO is free until September.

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
LOL anyone else find it odd that a Keysight/Agilent rep comments in a thread about hacking their device to get upgrades for free? Ha ha

The following users thanked this post: tonykara, Andrew

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
I appreciate Daniel's presence and his valuable input. Hope he does not take your comment seriously.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
I appreciate Daniel's presence and his valuable input. Hope he does not take your comment seriously.
What?! Take what seriously exactly?

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Daniel's presence here and on the forum as a whole is indeed appreciated: he has a thicker skin than me that's for sure. Sometimes, things are just better left unsaid though if you know what I mean  :-+

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
LOL anyone else find it odd that a Keysight/Agilent rep comments in a thread about hacking their device to get upgrades for free? Ha ha

It is only odd if he was to encourage or help with a hack. In this case it is simply a refreshing change from the stance companies often take.
VE7FM

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man

It is only odd if he was to encourage or help with a hack. In this case it is simply a refreshing change from the stance companies often take.
Okay. But there was nothing offensive or "warding off" in the statement, so there was nothing "to be taken seriously". It was merely a humorous observation. I too enjoy the different stance they are taking on the matter. But dont forget, as MANY companies in MANY different industries are learning, be electronics, woodworking, guns, photography, crafts, you name it, it is done because it helps sell products. My guess is none of them are going anywhere despite any statements a random person on the internet might make. They are here because their company wants the representation here. Unless that changes, they arent going anywhere.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
We're good, Ben. I also think it's ironic that I'm present on this thread (and yes, I think I'm using "ironic" correctly  :-//)

Honestly, I'm here with a Keysight username because I want to be here in a professional capacity and I'm in a place here that will make it sustainable. I've lurked for a long time on this blog and other social media sites, but decided to finally take the plunge and create an "official" account.

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
We're good, Ben. I also think it's ironic that I'm present on this thread (and yes, I think I'm using "ironic" correctly  :-//)

Honestly, I'm here with a Keysight username because I want to be here in a professional capacity and I'm in a place here that will make it sustainable. I've lurked for a long time on this blog and other social media sites, but decided to finally take the plunge and create an "official" account.
Ironic! Yes thats the term I was looking for, not odd. And glad I didnt offend you, I certainly didnt mean any offense with my post. I think it's kinda cool and forward thinking of a company to remember what it is like on the other side (the consumer/hobbyist side). These days the big selling idea fueled buy what is now coined "The Maker Movement" everyone expected things to be fully open source and its making a lot of startups lots of money doing so when they release new products. Its only a matter of time before all the big dogs join in. Having online representation is IMO a step in that direction. It can only help us all. :)

Offline mongo

• Contributor
To be fair, I only responded to this thread because people were wondering what the cable looked like and I had found the thread while researching the current MSOs after my trusty old TEK died, sorry if it derailed the thread but I will give Keysight credit for being willing to respond to a thread of this nature.

sorry if I caused any derailment here.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
To be fair, I only responded to this thread because people were wondering what the cable looked like and I had found the thread while researching the current MSOs after my trusty old TEK died, sorry if it derailed the thread but I will give Keysight credit for being willing to respond to a thread of this nature.

sorry if I caused any derailment here.

I've both seen and perpetrated far worse transgressions of off topicary on this forum!

The following users thanked this post: Andrew, mongo

Offline mongo

• Contributor
Hi mongo,

I'll follow up with you on the message you sent us, I'm sorry that the MSO isn't living up to what you need.

Some history on this, when we started shipping the 2000 X-Series scopes there was no decoding at all. After a lot of customer feedback, we enabled serial decoding with the 2.30 firmware release, but the caveat was that the 2000 X-Series only have one of the MegaZoom ASICs. The digital lines and serial decoding use the same block in the ASIC, so it's a physical impossibility to enable the decoding and the digital channels simultaneously.  The 3000T and up have two ASICs, which is why we support that in those scopes. It makes us sad, too.

To avoid any confusion by other readers and googlers, this is not a bad scope and everyone would expect some limitations at this price point.  The problem I had could be fixed with just some edits to the webpage.   here is a screenshot from the click through from the DSOX2012A product page to the DSOX2EMBD option.  With the highlighted text I don't think it is unreasonable for a customer to expect the product to support at least decoding the MISO MOSI and CLK lines on an SPI bus with the MSO upgrade.

Hopefully you can get a (*) put on that page fairly quickly and we will chat outside of this thread.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
Yes, I'm working with the team here to make sure we are more clear on the web page.

Offline ECEdesign

• Regular Contributor
So it seems like this is not a very hard task but I'm having trouble with this.  I have read most of this thread the instructions from Kilobite, plesa, and cassiopeia.  I have not found the files that are talked about or any of this HEX addressing. My scope is running 2.35 and I am using a Mac to try and get a USB drive ready.  I have formatted the USB as exFAT (FAT 16 I believe) and downloaded the 2.35 and 2.39 firmware.  I unpacked the InfiniiVisionSetup using the unarchiver but then I just get a bunch of random files.

\Secure\infiniiVision\infiniiVisionCore.dll  does not exist from what I can see. I tried to use my windows partition but Win CAB manager isn't around anymore apparently and I don't have very much experience with Windows.  I am much more familiar with mac/linux and can work in the terminal environment pretty well.
Any help would be appreciated I'm pretty lost!

Never mind I figured it out with a little more careful reading and I found a zipfile with the file names.  For any Mac users trying to do this hack, I found an app called Hex Fiend that you can use to edit the .dll files and it worked a treat!  Thanks everyone!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:47:03 pm by ECEdesign »

Offline giasis

I recently scored a cheap dsox2004a in ebay and upgraded the software to 2.35. I've read through the thread (a few times) but I'm stuck unpacking the cab file... I can extract it fine but I don't have a way to do the numerous copies necessary to create the /Secure file structure. I tried installing cab manager 3.0 but the website it gone and all the installers I can find are just bloatware... I work in linux mostly but can run Windows 8.1 in a vm. Does anyone have a python script to unpack the files using _setup.xml?

Thanks,
Elliot

Elliot. Where did you download old 2.35 firmware? It seems that keysight website doesn't provide old version firmware, but the latest one (2.41)?
http://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?cc=CA&lc=eng&nid=-32976.973676&id=2014479&pageMode=PV

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
There are various links to older firmware in this thread - just tour through it. It makes for good reading too.
VE7FM

Offline giasis

It turns out the link for the old firmware was in the later part of the threads, while I was searching for it in the beginning part. :)
I finally found it! And thanks for all good info Guys. I am super excited.

giasis
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:26:16 am by giasis »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf