Author Topic: DT71 Mini Digital Tweezers  (Read 5704 times)

Offline ricktendoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
DT71 Mini Digital Tweezers
« on: September 08, 2020, 03:05:02 pm »

This seems like an interesting product, has built in multi meter!

http://www.miniware.com.cn/product/dt71-mini-digital-tweezers/

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
Re: DT71 Mini Digital Tweezers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 04:32:53 pm »
$59 as preorder at seeedstudio.
nice tool indeed.

The following users thanked this post: bc888

Offline ricktendoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 07:22:29 pm »
Found an additional preview/hands on video

The following users thanked this post: bc888

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 12:50:15 am »
I am editing a review video now.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, knapik, CDN_Torsten, ricktendo, Edimahler

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 05:25:36 pm »

Looking forward to it Dave. Spec sheet can be downloaded as a PDF here:

http://minidso.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4244

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 11:56:21 pm »
TLDR; It's not very accurate, doesn't have much resolution, limited ranges, accuracy issues between Auto and Manual modes, can't be used while charging, lose the custom charge lead and you are screwed, tilt head detection has a bit of an alignment issue, LED testing is limited, and the secondary measurements basically don't work.
But for $70 it's very handy and nothing else can touch it, and the probe design is gorgeous.
Absolutely no match for the much more expensive SmartTweezers.
Maybe they can fix some stuff in firmware to improve it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 01:03:50 am by EEVblog »

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 10:59:41 am »
So its much more form form than function....

Offline BugKiller

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 06:37:30 pm »
Ordered one w/i a week of Dave's original post, and it finally arrived two weeks ago (here in the U.S.). [I bought Miniware's TS80P soldering iron in the same order and it arrived very quickly.]

It was worth the wait. Good value, in my opinion. My real point here is to note design consistencies across the tweeters and the soldering iron, such as the use of 3.5mm (1/8") male stereo plugs, USB-C connectivity, and simple firmware updating and configuration file storage and handling.

Are these products perfect? No (nothing is perfect ... but much is improvable). These are reasonably rugged for the cost and the inherent limitations of their sizes, the firmware is upgrade-able and appears to be hack-able, and investing in learning one is surprisingly usable on the other -- and thus hopefully on other existing and yet to be released products. [Noting how Chinese companies "copy" each other's user interfaces (Rigol and Siglent come to mind), Miniware's competitors might want to study these products as examples of how many features can be controlled with how few user-interface units -- 1 and 2 buttons respectfully here.]

Offline teus

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 01:39:33 pm »
mine is... broken?
it keeps cycling through the menu

https://youtu.be/QrlSFdO0gc4

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 08:44:46 pm »
button always pressed ?

Offline teus

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 11:31:43 am »
button always pressed ?
you mean, the button is broken?

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 01:00:39 pm »
yes seems to be... it atcs as if you always press the button (and I know it is a capacitive button no real "clic" there)

Offline teus

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 04:48:00 pm »
okay, thanks for making sure. I'll get a refund or replacement.

Offline teus

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 01:12:58 pm »
fiddling around with it again, the two parts weren't making a good connection.
it seems to work again...  you have to press them together quite hard and push the connector deep in. the tactile feedback isn't good, there's no real detent or click.

Offline Edimahler

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 09:41:48 am »
Had the same problem on mine. Most of the time it's enough to unpower / power the device again in order to make it work again. And as you've written already, it has to be pressed into the 3.5mm socket with quite some force.

Beside this I had troubles with my first battery I got with the tweezers. There are two batteries in this device, one left, one right in the test arms. One of them had an internal "semi-short" and discharged itself (and thus also the second battery) within hours. Couldn't neither charge them anymore. So I took it apart to find the failure and in the end to remove the defectuous battery. It's now running on one battery only, which is more than enough to work with (5hours instead of 10 hours battery time).

Also got a (perfectly working!) replacement from SEEED. They shipped it really fast and without big administrative tasks around it.

For the technically interested ones out there :-) : In the middle part of the test arms is the charging controller of the two batteries, which are directly connected in parallel. The charger chip seams to be MCP73831 (or MCP73832 which basically is the same but with a open drain output instead of a "tristate"). Wo this means on the 3.5mm connector one can find GND, +5V (USB), Battery voltage, Measurement signal (maybe not in this order, don't remember anymore.). The batteries themselves are 50mAh types with integrated overcurrent / undervoltage protector chips. The whole electronics, including the connectors of the batteries and the signal of the tips are connected using one single flexible PCB.

Beside all the problems described this product is really worth the price and helped me already many times in finding failures or measuring 0402 and 0201 caps, which have been messing around on the table. ;-)

BTW.: Did anyone of you already tried to download the new firmware? There's a security alert popping up, every time I want access the page, as it's possibly not a HTTPS page...

Happy measuring everyone! ;-)

Offline perdrix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 06:00:25 pm »
How do they compare to the AdaFruit LLC1359?

D.

Offline jmibk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 10:00:12 am »
I have bought these tweezers after Dave's video, because it looked very promicing.

After a month I have the problem, that charging the thing is impossible.
Connecting it with the adapter to a USB-C, it shows its firmware number on the display (DFU:V3.52 4.811V) and the red light lights up on the tweezer part.

When connecting the display with the tweezers, either pushing the tweezers together nor pressing the button brings it back to life. I don't know what happens here....

Offline old-papa

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2022, 01:13:48 pm »
Hello
I also had the problem that it wouldn't charge anymore.
I suspect that you should not leave the measuring head plugged in permanently, otherwise the battery will be discharged too deeply. Now I always take the head off when I'm not using it.

(Sorry: Google-Translator German -> English ;-))

Old-Papa

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf