Author Topic: EEVblog BM786 Multimeter - no resistance reading above ~1k?  (Read 616 times)

Offline gnasiratorTopic starter

• Contributor
EEVblog BM786 Multimeter - no resistance reading above ~1k?
« on: December 28, 2022, 12:23:37 pm »
Hi all,

I just recently got me the otherwise great EEVblog meter but now while I was tinkering away I noticed something really odd:
The meter always shows 'OL' when I try to measure resistors > ~1k. I've managed to correctly measure up to 600 Ohms so far but all greater values don't show a value. Has anyone else experienced this?
My firmware version is 78607 and if I set the meter to diode mode and measure the resistors, I do in fact get a voltage reading that somewhat scales with the resistance.

So what could it be? Has anyone experienced a similar thing? What can I do to resolve this issue?
Dave, do you support these meters in any way? I'm happy to set an alarm to midnight and demonstrate via Zoom/Skype to you (living in Germany) ;)
Kiwi by heart. But never liked Vegemite.

Offline nomead

• Contributor
Re: EEVblog BM786 Multimeter - no resistance reading above ~1k?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 02:08:22 pm »
Sounds like your meter is stuck on 600 ohm range.
Do you have autoranging enabled i.e "AUTO" indicator on display?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 03:01:59 pm »
I've managed to correctly measure up to 600 Ohms so far but all greater values don't show a value

600 Ohms max on a 60000 count meter? Sounds like somebody disabled auto-ranging...  :popcorn:

(try turning it off and on again)

Offline gnasiratorTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 10:09:53 am »
Thanks. Issue solved! Auto was indeed off. I shouldve maybe read the manual instead of randomly pressing buttons after unboxing it…
Kiwi by heart. But never liked Vegemite.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf