Author Topic: Dynatek 9020a teardown  (Read 3538 times)

Offline jitterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Dynatek 9020a teardown
« on: May 21, 2016, 10:15:18 am »
Originally posted in the "Show your multimeter" thread, I decided that perhaps the teardown of my Dynatek 9020a DMM is better suited to a thread of its own, so I moved it here.

Dynatek is not a very well known brand, seems to be isolated to this part of the world, but it's still around. As it was back when I got my 9020a, they're still rebrands, so that's why the current DM3000 might look familiar.

It was my first "serious" multimeter, previously having had those cheapos we all know too well. This one was as much as I could afford at the time (June 1997), in today's money it would have cost around €150. Not too cheap, and I think the internals show good quality construction. I'll let the photos do the talking.

It's not yet CAT-rated and input protection seems minimal. There are beefy HRC fuses, though. I also quite like how they dealt with the 9 V battery, nice terminals directly on the pcb and the battery itself is placed inside a plastic sleeve that's a snug fit and then held in place by a little ridge in the back of the housing.
The whole layout clearly shows some thought went into this unit, and though it may look like those cheapo yellow meters, internally, it isn't.

It's not the stiffest meter, but it has a really nice selector switch. The feel is really positive with smooth but very clearly defined indents. Measurements are still accurate, I compared the readings last year against a calibrated HP 34401A, and they were still bang on. Screws are Fluke-style selftappers, and like with these meters the threads seem to remain intact.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:35:39 pm by jitter »

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Dynatek 9020a teardown
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 10:18:32 am »
More photos.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 10:24:15 am »
Another set.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 10:31:22 am »
Last but not least...
When taking this meter apart, I almost lost these little ball bearings that sit on tiny coil springs. That's why this selector switch feels better than a Fluke's...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:32:14 am by jitter »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf