Author Topic: E36300 Series Programmable DC Power Supplies (E36311A, E36312A, E36313A)  (Read 42113 times)

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
Re: E36300 Series Programmable DC Power Supplies (E36311A, E36312A, E36313A)
« Reply #250 on: March 27, 2020, 12:22:25 pm »
How is the web based control on the keysight?

Also did you find  the logging feature any useful ? Does it do any sort of averaging or is it instantaneous? Also what is the min time step/offset?

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2020, 03:57:22 pm »
Also did you find  the logging feature any useful ?

I did some "tricks" using the advanced features:
http://wunderkis.de/E36312A/index.html

Anyway, for regular use these features are too cumbersome (at least to me).

Does it do any sort of averaging or is it instantaneous? Also what is the min time step/offset?
Can't tell anymore, guess you'll have to read the manual ;)
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: thanasisk

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #252 on: March 28, 2020, 09:00:36 pm »

Also did you find  the logging feature any useful ? Does it do any sort of averaging or is it instantaneous? Also what is the min time step/offset?
I used Keysight's software only briefly, but it worked very well.

To me the interface of the power supply itself is quite good, so I didn't see the need to invest in the software.

The logging is very useful to me and I used to capture battery charge curves. I don't recall averaging being implemented in the supply. It can save all data in .csv format to a pendrive, so Excel or other spreadsheet software can manipulate data quite nicely.

The sample interval goes from 200ms to 60s and the supply nicely calculates the time duration depending on the sample interval, the different collection of logged information per channel (P, V, A) and the memory available.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2020, 04:09:44 pm »
Also did you find  the logging feature any useful ?

I did some "tricks" using the advanced features:
http://wunderkis.de/E36312A/index.html

Anyway, for regular use these features are too cumbersome (at least to me).

Does it do any sort of averaging or is it instantaneous? Also what is the min time step/offset?
Can't tell anymore, guess you'll have to read the manual ;)

Nice tricks on emulating a load, but it indeed take too much work

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #254 on: March 29, 2020, 04:14:05 pm »

I used Keysight's software only briefly, but it worked very well.

To me the interface of the power supply itself is quite good, so I didn't see the need to invest in the software.

The logging is very useful to me and I used to capture battery charge curves. I don't recall averaging being implemented in the supply. It can save all data in .csv format to a pendrive, so Excel or other spreadsheet software can manipulate data quite nicely.

The sample interval goes from 200ms to 60s and the supply nicely calculates the time duration depending on the sample interval, the different collection of logged information per channel (P, V, A) and the memory available.

Thanks for the info . I guess measurements/log performed right on the instrument are more accurate (in time/timestamps) than reading back through lan/pyvisa etc. since they avoid the command overhead and jitter. Although 200ms is not too fast. Have you found this restrictive?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #255 on: March 29, 2020, 10:35:21 pm »
It is restrictive if I want to log fast current transients, but for that I have an oscilloscope.

I simply live with the fact this is a pretty good power supply with a built-in 5Hz DSO - plenty for what I use.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: thanasisk

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
Hi, is the (transformer?) hum normal? It appears as soon as the device gets plugged in.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Hi, is the (transformer?) hum normal? It appears as soon as the device gets plugged in.
My unit also likes to hum.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
It is certainly part of the advanced pre-heating circuit that keeps the backlight always on |O

(My only real pet peeve with this otherwise marvelous bit of kit)

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Mine is always silent except if I run a heat gun on the same circuit. I get the same buzz/hum on some other HPAK supplies as well with the heat gun.
VE7FM

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
It doesn't just him when plugged in, it draws about 10W on standby. It really does need a proper physical power switch.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf