Author Topic: E36300 Series Programmable DC Power Supplies (E36311A, E36312A, E36313A)  (Read 70583 times)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: E36300 Series Programmable DC Power Supplies (E36311A, E36312A, E36313A)
« Reply #250 on: March 28, 2020, 09:00:36 pm »
How is the web based control on the keysight?

Also did you find  the logging feature any useful ? Does it do any sort of averaging or is it instantaneous? Also what is the min time step/offset?
I used Keysight's software only briefly, but it worked very well.

To me the interface of the power supply itself is quite good, so I didn't see the need to invest in the software.

The logging is very useful to me and I used to capture battery charge curves. I don't recall averaging being implemented in the supply. It can save all data in .csv format to a pendrive, so Excel or other spreadsheet software can manipulate data quite nicely.

The sample interval goes from 200ms to 60s and the supply nicely calculates the time duration depending on the sample interval, the different collection of logged information per channel (P, V, A) and the memory available.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2020, 04:09:44 pm »
Also did you find  the logging feature any useful ?

I did some "tricks" using the advanced features:
http://wunderkis.de/E36312A/index.html

Anyway, for regular use these features are too cumbersome (at least to me).

Does it do any sort of averaging or is it instantaneous? Also what is the min time step/offset?
Can't tell anymore, guess you'll have to read the manual ;)

Nice tricks on emulating a load, but it indeed take too much work

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2020, 04:14:05 pm »
How is the web based control on the keysight?

Also did you find  the logging feature any useful ? Does it do any sort of averaging or is it instantaneous? Also what is the min time step/offset?
I used Keysight's software only briefly, but it worked very well.

To me the interface of the power supply itself is quite good, so I didn't see the need to invest in the software.

The logging is very useful to me and I used to capture battery charge curves. I don't recall averaging being implemented in the supply. It can save all data in .csv format to a pendrive, so Excel or other spreadsheet software can manipulate data quite nicely.

The sample interval goes from 200ms to 60s and the supply nicely calculates the time duration depending on the sample interval, the different collection of logged information per channel (P, V, A) and the memory available.

Thanks for the info . I guess measurements/log performed right on the instrument are more accurate (in time/timestamps) than reading back through lan/pyvisa etc. since they avoid the command overhead and jitter. Although 200ms is not too fast. Have you found this restrictive?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2020, 10:35:21 pm »
It is restrictive if I want to log fast current transients, but for that I have an oscilloscope.

I simply live with the fact this is a pretty good power supply with a built-in 5Hz DSO - plenty for what I use.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: thanasisk

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
Hi, is the (transformer?) hum normal? It appears as soon as the device gets plugged in.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Hi, is the (transformer?) hum normal? It appears as soon as the device gets plugged in.
My unit also likes to hum.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
It is certainly part of the advanced pre-heating circuit that keeps the backlight always on |O

(My only real pet peeve with this otherwise marvelous bit of kit)

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Mine is always silent except if I run a heat gun on the same circuit. I get the same buzz/hum on some other HPAK supplies as well with the heat gun.
VE7FM

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
It doesn't just hum when plugged in, it draws about 10W on standby. It really does need a proper physical power switch.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 06:47:54 pm by Fred27 »

Offline dl1640

• Regular Contributor
Have 12A, ch2 and ch3 can track with each other, but can't figure out how to configure dual channel with +/- output.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Have 12A, ch2 and ch3 can track with each other, but can't figure out how to configure dual channel with +/- output.
Connect - and + from ch2 and ch3 and use that as the 0V point.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 12:29:44 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
Also, did you set the output mode to "Series"?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Also, did you set the output mode to "Series"?
You best use tracking mode for +/- voltage out so you can see the exact voltage. Series mode is likely the same but you'd have to divide the reading by two mentally.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline dl1640

• Regular Contributor
Thanks for the input!
The "tracking" tracks voltage but not for current |O
So I put a shorting bar between ch2- and ch3+ and program the 2 chs with keypad under independent mode, now it serves as a +/- supply for some sensor :-+

Mod.:
It would be possible to turn on ch2 and ch3 simultaneously with remote command "OUTP ON,(@2,3)" per user's manual.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 02:53:16 pm by dl1640 »

Offline eblake

« Reply #264 on: December 06, 2021, 03:31:58 am »
This thread mentions several service bulletins (e.g. http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/E36313A-01.pdf and http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/E36313A-02.pdf

These links are now dead, and I cannot seem to find the documents, even using archive.org. Would anyone care to post the originals?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 03:33:55 am by eblake »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #265 on: December 06, 2021, 04:16:21 am »
I don't have them and they don't apply to my E36313A, but you can try your serial number:

https://support.keysight.com/KeysightdCX/s/product-lifecycle?language=en_US&c__prodno=E36313A

Enter your serial number, if there are notes related to it they will be displayed.
VE7FM

Offline DarkLight

• Contributor
Can you point me to some reference for [lab] power supplies without output capacitors?

Offline gslickTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
This thread mentions several service bulletins (e.g. http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/E36313A-01.pdf and http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/E36313A-02.pdf

These links are now dead, and I cannot seem to find the documents, even using archive.org. Would anyone care to post the originals?

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Can you point me to some reference for [lab] power supplies without output capacitors?
I'd look at high-speed power supplies (e.g. Kepco BOP) or for low current, a source measure unit. I can't find any hard data, but I'd think battery simulators (like Keithley 2300 series or Keithley 2281S, or the various Keysight offerings) would also have a pretty low output capacitance due to their sensitive current measurement and high current measurement bandwidth. R&S also has some models that can do this, but I don't know the models from the top of my head.

Designing a power supply without capacitance to be stable across reactive loads is tricky. That's why you'll see guidance about connecting inductive loads in most of their manuals. For example Kepco has models specifically compensated for capacitive or inductive load because the standard model doesn't do so well. The battery simulators will tell you to minimize lead inductance between power supply and DUT. That's why most general-purpose power supplies will have some amount of output capacitance.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
For what purpose? If you are afraid about damaging a load when you connect it: you are using a PSU wrong. Disable the output and then connect the load. For most purposes, a capacitor-less PSU will bring more problems that it solves.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf