Author Topic: E4438C (E4428C) freq range - CAL configuration - help needed  (Read 793 times)

Offline RobHonTopic starter

• Contributor
E4438C (E4428C) freq range - CAL configuration - help needed
« on: December 08, 2022, 09:38:22 pm »
Five year ago I found an used E4438C very cheap... I bought it in a TEAqusition spasm  :-DMM
Some weeks ago, I realized that the equipment that I own has a 3GHz RF board installed (option 503 is listed, and RF board PN confirmed)

I'm doing some experiments in the 2.4GHz amateur bands using rudimentary DDS generators.  |O
Because of the low noise of the E4438C it would be a dream to extend the frequency range.
Because this equipment is old, obsolete by the manufacturer, no support anymore, I couldn’t find any information on how (if possible) to do it.

I found some information regarding program the CAL file  here in this forum, that doesn't work.
The command SERV:PRODUCTION:CAL 165,2,3000000000.000000; returns an error. (numeric data not allowed)
I realized that maybe SERV:PRODUCTION:CAL "165",2,3000000000.000000; is the right way to send the command, but it returns that the file is invalid.

After some research I found that the commands for the ESG-B (E4400B, E4432B, etc) will not work on the ESG-C (E4438C and E4428C) because of relevant differences.
The ESG-C has a LAN connection and allows to read and write files in an FTP directory.

When accessing FTP server, it is possible to move forward leaving the username and password field blank (as the manual says), and then only "USER" folders can be showed.
There are more folders than "USER"... as, maybe accidently, the print screen of page 27 of the "programing guide" shows. (CAL, SYS etc)

I suspect that with a specific username and password the CAL folder can be accessed. Maybe, then it will be possible to understand its file system.

Also, I thought about buying a CPU board from a 3GHz equipment to install its EEPROM (apparently a AT29LV010A-15JC) in my unit. But I'm not sure if this configuration info is written in the EEPROM

I appreciate any help that could help me to achieve this endeavor (here or PM).

Thank you all!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 09:04:09 pm by RobHon »

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
Re: E4438C (E4428C) freq range - CAL configuration - help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 10:45:07 pm »
I am not going to answer your question so feel free to ignore.

I have an E4433B (4GHz) but I find myself using my ADALM Pluto or HackRF far more frequently because they are such flexible tools. (Pluto has TCXO mod, HackRF has 10MHz ref in.) I mostly use the E4433B only when I need a reference instrument, or if I need an RF signal generator for something I know it can do trivially which would take time to set up in GNU Radio.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 11:08:56 pm »
Hmm, if it has the actual legit hardware option installed maybe it should be activated via license code.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/e4438c-hacked/
VE7FM

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 01:07:40 am »
I have an E4433B (4GHz) but I find myself using my ADALM Pluto or HackRF far more frequently because they are such flexible tools. (Pluto has TCXO mod, HackRF has 10MHz ref in.) I mostly use the E4433B only when I need a reference instrument, or if I need an RF signal generator for something I know it can do trivially which would take time to set up in GNU Radio.

Yes, I agree that there are good options for the experimenter.
Some months ago I had the opportunity to use a BladeRF. Worked very well for RX and TX to QO-100.
The Pluto is something that I’m considering (there’s also the Chinese Pluto+, and similars).
Of course they are not going to provide some specs of the professional equipment (like phase noise of -124dbc/hz (20khz)@2Ghz) but for sure, the best value for money.

Thanks Colorado.Rob
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 01:41:28 am by RobHon »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 01:14:10 am »
Hmm, if it has the actual legit hardware option installed maybe it should be activated via license code.

Hi Steve!

The option 503 is listed in the instrument menu that shows everything installed. See attached.
Unfortunately, it not an option in the “software options” page.
By the way, the procedure you mentioned works well for the available software options.

1658005-0
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 01:42:23 am by RobHon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf