Author Topic: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread  (Read 767272 times)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Re: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2018, 12:08:35 am »
Almost all users do not have the ability to calibrate the meter themselves, and you would be effectively forcing those users to do that if they wanted to upgrade their firmware in the future. That would be very poor form.

I'm apparently communicating poorly, no worries.

Offline benst

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2018, 12:12:59 am »
I see an app in the iOS App store called "EEVBlog 121GW" by Cheon Myoung-kun. That doesn't sound legit, does it?
And it looks bloody awfull.  :wtf:

It is bloody awful which is why we wrote our own. But yes it is "legit". UEi got that person to write it.

Ok, good to know, thanks! Any idea when your app will be ready for iOS?

Thanks,
Ben
I hack for work and pleasure.

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2018, 12:18:11 am »
Any news on the US meters?

Yes, sorry but the US meters will be delayed, they want to make some small tolerance changes to the range switch. We'd rather have them delayed a bit than to have any more potential range switch issues.

Just to verify the Great Scott meters for the USA are getting the updated switch. Were they already manufactured (I thought they were sitting in a dock somewhere)?

(I am not rushing this, I am just curious)
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2018, 12:21:30 am »
Any news on the US meters?

Yes, sorry but the US meters will be delayed, they want to make some small tolerance changes to the range switch. We'd rather have them delayed a bit than to have any more potential range switch issues.

Ok, so your saying the meters are now in the US, and UEI is taking them to fix the range switches. Will UEI be shipping them, or will they get shipped again to the reshipper in the US and then make it to the customers. Or did you can the reshipper and UEI will be shipping the US meter now?

I have an idea, it’s not uncommon to have 2 different firmwares for different hardware releases.
As a “Thank you for being patient” can the US customers request maybe UEI can update the auto range speed on the US meters and mark them hardware version 1.1. Since it will be at the manufacturer I’m sure they can calibrate for the faster update ranging. Going forward for new batches can also all be marked as HW1.1 with the faster range update.
It will only make it a better product with future sales of the meters. And I’m sure someone will review it with the faster update range showing the meter with all the bugs fixed as well. And this way you get some of the faster update meters in people’s hands to work out any bug that might inadvertently happen from the faster update range improvements for hands on testing.

And for those that have the ability to calibrate the meter they can also load hardware version 1.1 firmware and do the calibration themselves.

If an open source firmware does happen, then who ever is working on the firmware will need to be aware of the different hardware versions.  This is a common thing when hardware changes happen anyway.

Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2018, 12:47:03 am »
Presumably the cal issue is that they need to do measurement differently, so different cal data is needed.

This could be handled by the firmware looking to see if the new format data is present, and only using the newer ranging method if so. A user could choose to recal to enable this if they have the facility.

Another approach for a user to recal would be simply to use old FW to set a multiturn trimmer to the required cal value, update the FW, then use the trimmer to recal.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2018, 12:47:20 am »
How is the range switch modification going to be implemented? Who is doing the replacement for the US meters, and will you send replacement parts to customers who've already received theirs?

Dave has answered this in the "Issues" thread, see below...

The switch on my meter (#000499) is also wobbly and has the problem described here.
I took it apart, and contacts and pcb looked ok. After I put it back together it worked allright for a while, but now it's back and I have to fiddle with the switch again to get it to display correct readings. :-BROKE
Dave, once UEi figures out a fix, will you send out a replacement part?

Yes we'll have to do that for those existing shipments who have problems.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2018, 01:22:01 am »
Presumably the cal issue is that they need to do measurement differently, so different cal data is needed.

This could be handled by the firmware looking to see if the new format data is present, and only using the newer ranging method if so. A user could choose to recal to enable this if they have the facility.

Another approach for a user to recal would be simply to use old FW to set a multiturn trimmer to the required cal value, update the FW, then use the trimmer to recal.

True, but just because a meter is calibrated again doesn’t mean the format of the cal data stored in the eeprom is going to be in a different format. Assuming it will be the same formate, just different numbers to the firmware to read I not sure the firmware could determine what is an old cal data vs re-cal for the faster  update rate. And then theirs the issue of space, adding extra code if timcoild determine the difference between new and old cal data woild take up more space. And we don’t know how much is available as it currently is.
Besides, my thought behind it was technical the updated switch is a hardware change also. They would need someway to mark what meters have the updated switch bs the older one. This way if the issue comes up again they will know if it was an older meter first batch, or a fixed one that the problem re-surfaced on.
I guess when others get the parts to fix it themselves thenpart bag might want to include a self repair sticker unless UEI plans to stamp the under side of the switch with s different code or add a code to the mold?
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2018, 01:24:28 am »
Ok, so your saying the meters are now in the US, and UEI is taking them to fix the range switches. Will UEI be shipping them, or will they get shipped again to the reshipper in the US and then make it to the customers. Or did you can the reshipper and UEI will be shipping the US meter now?

They will now ship direct from Kane Test (UEi) in the US.

I have an idea, it’s not uncommon to have 2 different firmwares for different hardware releases.
As a “Thank you for being patient” can the US customers request maybe UEI can update the auto range speed on the US meters and mark them hardware version 1.1. Since it will be at the manufacturer I’m sure they can calibrate for the faster update ranging. Going forward for new batches can also all be marked as HW1.1 with the faster range update.

There is no change in actual PCB hardware, it's a small mod to the tolerance range switch parts.

And for those that have the ability to calibrate the meter they can also load hardware version 1.1 firmware and do the calibration themselves.

I've said this before, we will not release firmware that requires a recal. Most people are NOT  in a position to calibrate their own meters.
To do so would require screwing existing customers, or maintaining two version of the firmware. Either solution is not acceptable.

Offline dcac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2018, 01:44:28 am »

That would also make a great video for Dave to show this procedure.

But I can see Dave’s problem - from the manual: “Factory calibration will be VOID if this function is used”

So that warranty will be lost on the already delivered units. So I guess then the only way is to issue a recall and who's going to cover that cost? If spread out over all backers (who bought a 121GW) what money are we talking about?

Offline hwti

• Contributor
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2018, 01:49:57 am »
Dave posted the schematic in the firmware thread, but I reply here since my questions would be off-topic there :
Here is the schematic which may help
David2 is working on seeing what we can provide in terms of documentation to help people who want to write their own firmware.
http://www.eevblog.com/files/121GW%20EEVBlog%20Circuit%20diagram.pdf
Why are Q13/Q16 (and Q14/Q15 if they were populated) used ?
To set the power-on (floating GPIO ?) state, a pull-up resistor would be enough.
The invert could have been done in software.

What would the B/Y channel of U14 would do if it was connected ?
It would connect TP11 to TP13 if DCmV_CTL (not used elsewhere) is high :-//

Is it safe to let 4053 logic input pins floating (C pin of U11, A pin of U14 if it was populated) ?
Usually it's not recommended, so unless the 4053 is special it's strange.

Offline logictom

• Supporter
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2018, 02:21:24 am »
Regarding the specs of the meter, in the manual it lists the ranges:

So what is the resolution and accuracy for 501uA to 4999uA?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2018, 02:40:00 am »

They use the 5mA range.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2018, 03:06:13 am »
In other words, the table is like this: (?)

Range    Resolution, Accuracy  Burden Voltage
50 µA    1 nA, ±1.5%+15  100 µV/µA
500 µA    10 nA, ±1.5%+15  100 µV/µA
5 mA    0.1 µA, ±0.25%+5  2 mV/mA
50 mA    1 µA, ±0.25%+5  2 mV/mA
0.5 A    10 µA, ±0.75%+15  0.03 V/A
10 A    1 mA, ±0.75%+15  0.03 V/A
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 03:12:54 am by IanB »

Offline hwti

• Contributor
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2018, 03:36:49 am »
Dave, http://www.eevblog.com/files/121GW%20EEVBlog%20Circuit%20diagram.pdf is rev 1752, and my actual meter is rev 1745 on the PCB.
Are there any différences ?

The rev 1705 and 1720 from your "121GW Final Test Unit Inspection" video had U14 for example.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2018, 05:10:54 am »
The rev 1705 and 1720 from your "121GW Final Test Unit Inspection" video had U14 for example.
Are you referring to the video with them all on the table, and the close up shots? I saw that one as 1745 with u14 missing also. Or are you referring to another video?

Offline logictom

• Supporter
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2018, 05:45:00 am »

They use the 5mA range.

If that is the case, why is it listed as 5 to 50 mA instead of that actual range of 0.5 to 50mA? Am I missing something simple here? ???

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2018, 05:55:01 am »

They use the 5mA range.

If that is the case, why is it listed as 5 to 50 mA instead of that actual range of 0.5 to 50mA? Am I missing something simple here? ???
You are missing something. Multimeter specifications always refer to the ranges - not to currents or voltages you are measuring. So this table is talking about the 50uA to 10A ranges.

If you want to measure 500uA, you can use the 500uA range, the 5mA range, the 50mA range, the 0.5A range, or the 5A range. The 10A is just a bit too far to see the 500uA. Each of these ranges will have its own accuracy that you can read from the table.

Why would you want to measure 500uA on the 0.5A range? The reason would be the burden voltage. For that range, the voltage drop across the multimeter (ignoring the 10A fuse) is 0.03V/A or at 500uA, that is only 15uV! The accuracy of the 500uV measurement would only be about 30%, but that can often be good enough.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 06:08:23 am by amspire »

The following users thanked this post: logictom

Offline hwti

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2018, 06:28:42 am »
Are you referring to the video with them all on the table, and the close up shots? I saw that one as 1745 with u14 missing also. Or are you referring to another video?
The video I'm referring to is unlisted, but easy to find by its title.
But those older revision don't really matter, it's just to show there are differences, and not limited to the changes needed to pass certification.

What matters is we have rev 1745 meters, so perhaps we need rev 1745 schematic, and not rev 1752 which might be different.

The following users thanked this post: Scottjd

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2018, 06:34:22 am »
The video I'm referring to is unlisted, but easy to find by its title.
But those older revision don't really matter, it's just to show there are differences, and not limited to the changes needed to pass certification.

What matters is we have rev 1745 meters, so perhaps we need rev 1745 schematic, and not rev 1752 which might be different.
Dave did say that they had to tidy up the schematic before they could release it. When you tidy up a document, that is a change and so the revision must increase. We do not know why the tidy up was needed - it might be just removing confidential information like employees names.

The circuit will be either accurate, or pretty close to accurate.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2018, 06:36:04 am »
The circuit will be either accurate, or pretty close to accurate.

I am told that schematic is accurate to the shipped hardware.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2018, 07:06:49 am »
The meters of "Johnie be good" for Europe via the Germany company, will include the switch tweak?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2018, 07:09:12 am »
How does the 121GW meter compare to the micro current ?

Is the micro current still useful for those who have the meter ?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:56:10 pm by JacquesBBB »

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2018, 07:12:34 am »
Thank you for the diagram! Some of the parts are not specified or listed in a separate table. Is this on purpose?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2018, 07:15:34 am »
The meters of "Johnie be good" for Europe via the Germany company, will include the switch tweak?

Yes, all future meters shipped will have the revised switch

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2018, 07:15:57 am »

Right, no need to maintain two different firmware versions, just a small portion of the firmware has to handle the old and new format. I hope they are experienced firmware developers who versioned the calibration data, because such things always change. But even if they didn't, it shouldn't be a problem: just use something impossible for the old format as the first byte for the new calibration data, to mark it as the new format. Fortunately it doesn't have to be compatible in the other direction, like there is nobody who would use a new set of calibration data with the old firmware. Could be programmed in like an hour.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf