Author Topic: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread  (Read 776300 times)

Offline 2bob

Re: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread
« Reply #975 on: July 26, 2018, 05:29:19 pm »
One thing I don;t like is that it doesn't default to the main function of the knob position. It remember the last mode it was.
That is a very nice feature.

I agree, but suggest that making the secondary functions on the dial white instead of red would make more sense - and also easier to see  :D

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #976 on: July 26, 2018, 05:59:01 pm »
As the primary and secondary functions are equal they don't need different colours. Furthermore, the red is difficult to read.

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #977 on: July 26, 2018, 06:42:07 pm »
Different colors are ok in order to recognize that not both are active at one time. White should be for standard after reset. The dark red is bad, could be yellow or light orange like on Fluke e.g. Needs to have a good contrast to the housing color.

Offline darrellg

• Supporter
« Reply #978 on: July 26, 2018, 06:42:55 pm »
It's red to match the color of the button used to activate it.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #979 on: July 26, 2018, 06:52:44 pm »
Then the color of the button is wrong.

The following users thanked this post: Candid

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #980 on: July 26, 2018, 06:55:56 pm »
Color button for Mode and Setup could be changed against each other.

Offline Welectron

• Supporter
    • Welectron Online Shop
« Reply #981 on: July 26, 2018, 08:59:21 pm »
Happy to read your feedback here. :-+

As the official EEVBlog distributor, we now also have the 121GW available for purchase in Europe:
https://www.welectron.com/EEVBlog-121GW-Data-Logging-Multimeter-with-Bluetooth
www.welectron.com - Test Equipment, Lab Supply and Embedded Systems
  • EEVBlog Distributor for Europe
  • Official Distributor for Brymen, Siglent and Maynuo: Free shipping within the EU and 5% discount for EEVBlog members with code eevblog2017

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #982 on: July 26, 2018, 09:07:26 pm »
Great, but check your description.. Copy & Paste error, obviously

Offline ornea

• Supporter
« Reply #983 on: July 27, 2018, 12:07:08 am »
Can I download the Windows software for the 121GW without having to jump thru the microsoft hoops.  After logging in with my Microsoft account it now wants me to Add a Device, and seems only Windows 10 is supported.  This seems out of character for EEVBLOG.  Dave himself hates having to create accounts just to try some software to get a widget to work.

I am planning to use it to include as a screen capture along with screen captures from the DS1054Z  while testing various cheap ebay buck converters which I will then upload to youtube.

I have the android app which works ok.

Any direct links or suggestions on how to get the Windows software without the hoop jumping would be very much appreciated.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #984 on: July 27, 2018, 03:39:45 am »
I am planning to use it to include as a screen capture along with screen captures from the DS1054Z  while testing various cheap ebay buck converters which I will then upload to youtube.

What is your YT channel?

thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Seppy

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #985 on: July 27, 2018, 04:27:35 am »
Can I download the Windows software for the 121GW without having to jump thru the microsoft hoops.  After logging in with my Microsoft account it now wants me to Add a Device, and seems only Windows 10 is supported.  This seems out of character for EEVBLOG.  Dave himself hates having to create accounts just to try some software to get a widget to work.

I have the android app which works ok.

Any direct links or suggestions on how to get the Windows software without the hoop jumping would be very much appreciated.

It is only available through the Windows Store as that was a convent avenue for distribution and automatic updates
(I'm not a fan at all of every other App installing its own updater application that runs on boot, slowing down the computer).

I might be able to release an AdHoc installer. At the moment the Windows App is awaiting a major update, but I cannot release it until the a library glitch is fixed. Its on my todo but message me again if I forget because an AdHoc installer would be good, it would still only run on Windows 10 though...

Offline npelov

• Frequent Contributor
    • Microlab.info
« Reply #986 on: July 27, 2018, 12:44:54 pm »
It seams that different people have. Different opinion how the UI and everything should work. When it comes to firmware that's not too hard problem to solve. It could be an option. It could be set in setup menu. For exmple 1 = remember last mode, 0 - aleays enter default  mode (marked with white).
But there is another thong that would be nice to remember - range. When you measure resistance 500k is usually enough for everything. I'd stay in that range all times and not wait the slow auto-ranging. Just now and then you need the 50 ohms range. When I go to diode and get back to resistance I want the last rane I used. Unfortunately it's not that simple. 15V dionde range will beep on a normal diode, so I don't want to remember that.  You can't be fully happy. Even if you could set mode memory for each mode individually it will still annoy you if you enter flip the switch and it's not the mode you need right now.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #987 on: July 27, 2018, 02:17:05 pm »
Does anyone know what this segments are for?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Zkronk

« Reply #988 on: July 27, 2018, 08:31:51 pm »
I find it really annoying that the meter remember which secondary mode I've used last time, even if I turn it off!
It would be very easy for doing mistakes if one would be sharing the same meter with other people, constantly need to double check that the meter is in the correct secondary mode :(

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #989 on: July 28, 2018, 06:56:55 am »
Some 45 years back, the physics lab manager asked us to set all
multimeters after use to a 220 V AC compatible range setting.  :-+
Something I still do today automatically after using any DMM anywhere,
if possible.
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline Woodsy

« Reply #990 on: July 28, 2018, 08:55:49 am »
Hey all.

I ordered one of the 60-ish 121's a few days ago after seeing the in-stock newsletter.
Just wondering what the average wait time is until i should see it being posted?

Cheers.
Woodsy

Offline ornea

• Supporter
« Reply #991 on: July 28, 2018, 09:56:52 am »

What is your YT channel?

thanks

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr5_D-9_ZZEQQ8rVGuDbbkg It is embarrassingly amateurish with just one upload.  I have been making Escape Room tech and want to make it a repository for related info.  I have just had some boards made that are based on the Wemos and wanted to demonstrate its use with a more polished upload.   

Offline GermanMarkus

• Contributor
« Reply #992 on: July 28, 2018, 09:10:31 pm »
How to measure "burden voltage"?
On page 40 of the GW121 manual is decribed that you could measure the burden voltage in mA current mode.
I was able to set the "bd.off" to "bd.on", but how will I get the burden voltage to be shown in the secondary display?
I´m using the latest FW 1.22 and the only thing is that I can roll through all the setup parameters with the "setup" button, but I´m not able to show the burden voltage on the display...
For sure I was connecting the additional cable like shown to measure current and (burden) voltage simultaneously.
What´s my problem? PEBCAC?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #993 on: July 28, 2018, 10:15:13 pm »

To make the burden voltage appear you have to do two things. Firstly after setting "bd.on" you need to press the Setup button again so that "bd.on" is replaced with the voltage measurement. Secondly you need to connect a jumper from the A or mA terminal of the meter to the VΩ terminal so the meter can actually measure the voltage.

The following users thanked this post: 1anX

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #994 on: July 29, 2018, 08:56:56 am »
On page 40 of the GW121 manual is decribed that you could measure the burden voltage in mA current mode.
I was able to set the "bd.off" to "bd.on", but how will I get the burden voltage to be shown in the secondary display?
I´m using the latest FW 1.22 and the only thing is that I can roll through all the setup parameters with the "setup" button, but I´m not able to show the burden voltage on the display...
For sure I was connecting the additional cable like shown to measure current and (burden) voltage simultaneously.
What´s my problem? PEBCAC?

That's an initialization bug in the latest firmware, or production run.
See here how to overcome that, also have a look inside my errata, where I describe the SETUP in more detail:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-121gw-multimeter-issues/msg1696409/#msg1696409

Frank

Offline GermanMarkus

• Contributor
« Reply #995 on: July 29, 2018, 11:27:36 am »
Thank you very much Dr. Frank!
Great you did that perfect job and the thorough investigation and I also hope that this bug will get corrected fast in the next firmware so that no more customers will get caught in that bug-trap.
Due to your description I´m able to do the workaround for displaying the burden voltage in the secondary display now.
But I have to do this workaroud again every time I want to use the burden voltage as secondary display, so the setting is not permanent in my 1.22 unit after the first correct initialization.
So it´s a bit frustration fiddeling back and forth all the time I need this secondary burden voltage measurement (this is a great feature and I really already like it a lot).

Also I hope that the manual will be a bit more comprehensive soon.
The GW121 unit is great, but there are a lot of misunderstandings due to lacking information. I was searching a lot for understanding the use of "LowZ". It would be nice if such issues will be described a bit in depth in the manual, so that other users do not have to dig in forums and webpages for hours.

Also there should be a release date mentioned in the documented firmware version table, this makes things much easier and is a defacto standard for documentation.

I´m one of the guys who do not like the automatic saving of the modes when powering off and on the unit. I like to power on the unit always in default configuration. But for sure I accept that there are people who like this "feature" of saving the last operating mode. So, take best of both worlds and make this "auto - last used mode saving" as an option which is configurable in the setup menu. That should be quite easy...

Anyway, in general I´m quite happy with the GW121 - it´s a "big bang for the bucks" and I know that it was (and still is) a lot of work to get it fully running. So huge thumbs up for Dave and the team behind GW121.
But this work could be rewarded for the developers and contributors much more if all the small bugs and issues will be solved quite quick.
 ^-^
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:56:07 pm by GermanMarkus »

Offline firstcolle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #996 on: July 30, 2018, 05:55:48 pm »
I'm doing some tests and i have some trouble with the uA range.

I set up a basic led circuit and measured the current on the mA range and the probe inserted into the A/500mA socket, the led is powered on and i measured 9mA.
I switched the range into the uA range and the probe into the mA/uA socket but the led does not power on and nothing is measured on the meter. I checked the 400mA fuse and there is no continuity... fuse blown?? I think that this range should measure 9mA..
The maximum allowed in the uA position is 500uA so should indicate OFL.  It takes a second to show.  Fuse should have continuity.  Does probe in mA/uA socket, switch in ma work?

Finding the maximum range for each position is a little problematic.  The chart on page 16 of manual is useful if available.  The auto range position doesn't indicate the max just the current auto range.
So you have to:
1. With probes not hooked up but inserted into desired sockets (required for current)
2. Rotate switch as desired.
3. Select mode.
4. Press range and note the max range value in the lower right corner of display.  Continue pressing range until you find the max.

I don't think this is much different than other meters but the text for the value is so miniature I can't even see it without my glasses.  On other meters it is much more prominent.

Thanks for your help.
no, with the probe in mA/uA socket and the switch in mA range is not working. for sure the fuse is blown. i'm looking for a replacement.

thanks for all the tips!

fuse changed and all works fine now.
by mistake, I plug the probes one into the mA range and the other into the uA range and tried to measure current. could I have damaged something? all seems to work fine with the probes in the correct plugs..

Online Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #997 on: July 31, 2018, 08:04:31 pm »
Just a small head-up for the europeans:
Welectron has the GW121 in stock: https://www.welectron.com/EEVBlog-121GW-Data-Logging-Multimeter-mit-Bluetooth

I wanted to stop buying stuff, but i just cannot resist...

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, ov_darkness

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #998 on: August 01, 2018, 02:09:23 am »
Some 45 years back, the physics lab manager asked us to set all
multimeters after use to a 220 V AC compatible range setting.  :-+
Something I still do today automatically after using any DMM anywhere,
if possible.

I also do that, but that's more because for a long time I had shitty meter and no money so I was afraid that if I break it I just won't be able to replace it for long time.

That's my minor gripe with Low Z range, first range from off position puts 3k to the load while I'd prefer to have normal volts go first so it goes off ->3k->10M which can disturb the circuit if probes are already connected when I turn on the meter.

The other, bigger one, is ignoring voltages <12V, I'd love low-z mode that worked with low voltages for stuff like checking power on sensors with long wires. I feel like it should be at least switchable option somewhere in settings

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #999 on: August 01, 2018, 03:45:14 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf