Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope  (Read 244549 times)

boyie, lopunia, Mihai85 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #2525 on: March 25, 2024, 05:44:50 pm »
ok I've given up for now.
Of course I had not, whom was I trying to fool?

I knew it was possible.

I managed to disable the signature verification subsystem altogether.

Now we can run anything signed with an arbitrary key with system privileges.

1. Pull /system/framework to a computer
2. Deodex the /system/framework/services.jar component (I used https://github.com/jareddantis/simple-deodexer, as it's simple indeed, and I didn't want to install any full blown IDE: it deodexed everything, but we only need services.jar)
3. Decompile the deodexed services.jar using e.g. apktool
4. Modify the methods responsible for signature verification in smali/com/android/server/pm/PackageManagerService.smali, basically we need to make the methods compareSignatures, compareSignaturesCompat, and compareSignaturesRecover unconditionally return zero, credits to https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-superusermod-disable-signature-verification-nougat-mm.3549952/, the new code to put there can be found there as well.
5. Recompile services.jar using apktool.
6. Replace the original /system/framework/services.jar with the patched version, remove /system/framework/oat/arm64/services.odex, and, just in case, remove the respective cache file in /data/dalvik-cache/arm64
7. Reboot (I actually had to power cycle the scope)
8. Ready to install and use self-signed apps. For webcontrol I had to not only pm uninstall it (with both "--user 0" and without it), but also remove it from /system/app/Webcontrol.

Needless to say, keep a backup of the sd card image handy and know how to restore (by mounting the respective fs and restoring individual files -- usually there's no need to restore the whole image) when things go wrong.

Now, my webcontrol streams a 1024x600 picture, as it should. Picture quality is better than the original 1280x800, but it's still lossy: I believe it uses jpeg/mpeg or some other lossy compression algorithm. I will try (and encourage others to try) to find where it may be configured to have a proper lossless picture. Stream rate is currently below 2 Mbit/s, so there's plenty of headroom not to require any compression at all.

Attached (as zip, to avoid the forum's image format conversion) is an example of the webcontrol stream. You can clearly see the compression artifacts.

p.s. we may not need the stock webcontrol app at all. I haven't searched yet, but there must be better android apps for screen sharing which we could potentially install.
Nice.

So with these edits, you installed a self-signed Sparrow APK with shared_user of System in the manifest (with no other edits in the APK) and it installs and runs as "system" ?
Can you share a "ps |grep scope"

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2526 on: March 25, 2024, 05:55:48 pm »
Nice.

So with these edits, you installed a self-signed Sparrow APK with shared_user of System in the manifest (with no other edits in the APK) and it installs and runs as "system" ?
Nah I didn't touch Sparrow yet. I only modified Webcontrol, but otherwise yes, everything's exactly as you wrote.

Code: [Select]
rk3399_rigol:/ # ps|grep webcontrol
system    1254  233   1626840 84304 SyS_epoll_ 7649856b84 S com.rigol.webcontrol
rk3399_rigol:/ # ps -n|grep webcontrol                                                                                                                               
1000      1254  233   1626840 84304 SyS_epoll_ 7649856b84 S com.rigol.webcontrol

There should be no difference with Sparrow or any other app.

Regarding the security implications, yes, of course, you wouldn't want to disable signature verification on an arbitrary android device. In this case, however, provided that the scope isn't reachable from public network, and the local network (as well as anyone who can have physical access to it) is trusted, it's a "who cares?" situation.

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2527 on: March 25, 2024, 07:00:13 pm »
So it seems that hitting the Default button twice reverts the scope to an 814. So basically the hack is not permanent. Anyone else found this?
No matter how much I pressed the "Default" button, my 814, converted to 914, remained 914 :)

Which permission(s) did you add to the Template?
I don’t remember exactly now. It seems that I left the same ones that were in your script, but I also duplicated them for the webcontrol application, changing the script accordingly.

Yes, that's right. After hacking using the method discovered by Shapirus, self-signed applications with shared_user of System in the manifest are normally installed and launched under UID 1000. Modified applications like Sparrow and Webcontrol work for me this way.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2528 on: March 25, 2024, 07:35:14 pm »
Adding the 924'S' version showed the function generator up, but when I went into it, there menu was there, but no waveform, so I'm going to assume the function generator is hardware based. To cut a long story short, it (temporarily) bricked my scope (no waveform, menu in the bottom left was not responding, etc.).
function generator and logic analyzer button down there are hardware based. maybe you want to read through dho800/900 teardown thread and this hack thread to get the whole idea... and maybe you also would like to follow my threads about development of the 2 "replica" hardwares... ymmv.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dho804-bode-plot
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/low-cost-compatible-rigol-pla2216-logic-probe-for-dho900-(and-hacked-dho800)

and a bit of advice. if possible dont mess with interfaces randomly, the situation will be "undefined" (i would not dare) and unlikely have anything to do with any of the dho800/900 hack discussions, it will be on your own adventure ;) cheers.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2529 on: March 25, 2024, 11:43:08 pm »
I remember someone decompiling libscope-auklet.so into what looked like C code -- any hint what was the software that could do that? I tried objump from linux binutils (binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu), but it produces raw assembler code which is on a harder side to understand, and besides it crashes halfway through. Need something else.

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2530 on: March 25, 2024, 11:43:56 pm »
I remember someone decompiling libscope-auklet.so into what looked like C code -- any hint what was the software that could do that? I tried objump from linux binutils (binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu), but it produces raw assembler code which is on a harder side to understand, and besides it crashes halfway through. Need something else.
IDA, Ghidra.

The following users thanked this post: AceyTech

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2531 on: March 26, 2024, 12:13:02 am »
IDA, Ghidra.

Both will generate what I'd call "pseudo" C code for the purposes of easier analysis than assembler. Don't expect to be able to edit and recompile the complete app from it, though.

The following users thanked this post: AndyBig, AceyTech

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2532 on: March 26, 2024, 12:20:16 am »
It's C++, not C.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2533 on: March 26, 2024, 12:32:13 am »
It's interesting. I tried to search where the preset probe ratio multipliers could be defined and couldn't find them neither in Sparrow.apk, nor in libscope-auklet.so. I thought it would have been an array of values, but no, at least, nothing matching the numbers I searched for.

Has anyone found them yet?

It's so lame that it doesn't allow to simply enter an arbitrary multiplier.

update: LOL, as usual, I found it *literally* 1 minute after I posted this. It's in sparrow.apk. Will try to add the multiplier I needed tomorrow. It appears to be in smali_classes2/com/rigol/scope/cil/ServiceEnum$ProbeX.smali, and they define floating point numbers as strings, unless it's decorative and the actual numbers are defined elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 12:38:14 am by shapirus »

Offline S2084

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2534 on: March 26, 2024, 12:39:04 am »
I decided to write here about how much money it cost me to upgrade the DHO814 model to DHO924...(full hardware compliance)... All components were purchased on aliexpress.... The amount is indicated along with the cost of delivery to the Czech Republic...The memory chips installed were all three identical K4B4G1646E

3× K4B4G1646E-BMA - 10€
2× TP1282 - 6€
1× MPM3630 - 2€
1× DC3 IDC JTAG-50Pin - 0.29€

Total Cost.          18.29€😉😉😉😉
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 01:11:55 am by S2084 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, F14V, AceyTech

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2535 on: March 26, 2024, 12:44:28 am »
The memory chips installed were all three identical K4B4G1646E
But have we ever found an answer to the question of what those extra memory chips were needed for?

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, AndyBig

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2536 on: March 26, 2024, 02:20:28 am »
and they define floating point numbers as strings, unless it's decorative and the actual numbers are defined elsewhere.
These value strings are simply strings to display in the select list. For real configuration, completely different values are passed to the libscope-auklet.so library. I can’t say for sure right now, but it seems there are something like enum values, which are passed to the library API when the divisor changes.

Offline S2084

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2537 on: March 26, 2024, 11:11:05 pm »
I must be blind. All working now, just running a calibration, but seems I now have a DHO924S masquerading as a 804.

Thank you, and a huge thanks to everyone who helped me to get this working :)

***** ADDENDUM *****

Something interesting just happened. Adding the 924'S' version showed the function generator up, but when I went into it, there menu was there, but no waveform, so I'm going to assume the function generator is hardware based. To cut a long story short, it (temporarily) bricked my scope (no waveform, menu in the bottom left was not responding, etc.). I double pressed the default button on the front of the scope and it came back to life, but my 804, that was transformed to a 924S was now masquerading as a 814. So it seems that hitting the Default button twice reverts the scope to an 814. So basically the hack is not permanent. Anyone else found this?
Thanks for sharing, this is a very interesting observation!  I can confirm the presence of freezes several months ago (I no longer remember the firmware version).  Just like you, I modified my vendor.bin to 924S.  As far as I can remember now, pressing the “defolt” button helped me get out of the “stupor”... This all happened with AWG turned on.  Unfortunately, I cannot confirm or deny the change in the model name to “814”; this was a very long time ago.... Since then, I have made many additions to my scope (see my post above), including moving the configuration resistor,  to change HW....I tried to force the hang now and it didn't work!  The question that interested me is whether this behavior is caused by the lack of missing components on the board (possibly ddr chips), or is it due to something else?..... mmmmm, this interested me extremely..... Thank you  for sharing your experience!!!

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2538 on: March 26, 2024, 11:48:25 pm »
and why i didnt hang my scope by activating, running, playing, bode plotting with AFG? (before and after resistor config hack, DDR3L always missing until today) afaik there is no feedback signal on my replica AFG board to tell the scope or FW that the board presents or not.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline AceyTech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2539 on: Yesterday at 03:36:36 am »
and why i didnt hang my scope by activating, running, playing, bode plotting with AFG? (before and after resistor config hack, DDR3L always missing until today) afaik there is no feedback signal on my replica AFG board to tell the scope or FW that the board presents or not.

The question that interested me is whether this behavior is caused by the lack of missing components on the board (possibly ddr chips), or is it due to something else?..... mmmmm, this interested me extremely..... Thank you for sharing your experience!!!

I wonder if this is where the system is looking for the hardware AFG...(From @s2084's modified HW8)

2086079-0

Does anyone have the console log output from a real 924S?

Reason I ask: 
2086157-1 HW12   2086163-2 HW8 -Mod
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:45:41 pm by AceyTech »

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2540 on: Yesterday at 10:53:43 pm »
Any idea how/where the pull-down menu (the one that's opened with win-N using a keyboard) is disabled? Is it somewhere in the system or is it in com.rigol.scope? I wonder if it's possible to reenable it.

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2541 on: Yesterday at 11:22:40 pm »
No, this is definitely not in com.rigol.scope, because even if you disable autorun of com.rigol.scope, this top curtain still does not open by swiping from the launcher.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2542 on: Yesterday at 11:56:49 pm »
No, this is definitely not in com.rigol.scope, because even if you disable autorun of com.rigol.scope, this top curtain still does not open by swiping from the launcher.
Might (or not) be in com.rigol.launcher, as it has this in its AndroidManifest.xml:

Code: [Select]
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.DISABLE_STATUS_BAR"/>

But I've not been able to find any code that uses this permission so far.

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2543 on: Today at 12:18:54 am »
Might (or not) be in com.rigol.launcher, as it has this in its AndroidManifest.xml:
And it doesn’t work with the launcher autorun disabled either :)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2544 on: Today at 01:00:26 am »
I wonder if this is where the system is looking for the hardware AFG...(From @s2084's modified HW8)

(Attachment Link)

Reason I ask: 
(Attachment Link) HW12    (Attachment Link) HW8 -Mod
i managed to get an "older" version of IDA and disassemble afg_gpio.ko... looks like another can of worm of 5 bits config resistor? but am struggling to learn ARM ASM code here... not sure whats those "0x7A" to "0x7E" representing... i need to sleep now, hopefully will continue this afternoon :palm:...

Offline souldevelop

• Regular Contributor
  • Serious and rigorous
« Reply #2545 on: Today at 04:01:08 am »

(Attachment Link)

Reason I ask: 
(Attachment Link) HW12    (Attachment Link) HW8 -Mod

i managed to get an "older" version of IDA and disassemble afg_gpio.ko... looks like another can of worm of 5 bits config resistor? but am struggling to learn ARM ASM code here... not sure whats those "0x7A" to "0x7E" representing... i need to sleep now, hopefully will continue this afternoon :palm:...

The following is the logical pseudocode for a few key functions:

int gpio_afg_init()
{
   set GPIO_122  Label  is  afg__in1
   set GPIO_122 Output Low

set GPIO_123  Label  is  afg__in2
   set GPIO_123 Output Low

set GPIO_124  Label  is  afg__in3
   set GPIO_124 Output Low

set GPIO_125  Label  is  afg__in4
   set GPIO_125 Output Low

set GPIO_126  Label  is  afg__in5
   set GPIO_126 Output Low

}

ssize_t gpio_afg_drv_write(file *file, const int8 *buf, size_t len, loff_t *f_pos)
{

1.copy user data to core.   
       _arch_copy_from_user(*DB,*buf ,len);

2.write GPIO value.
       write GPIO_122(afg__in1) is  DB[0] bit value.
       write GPIO_123(afg__in2) is  DB[1] bit value.
       write GPIO_124(afg__in3) is  DB[2] bit value.
       write GPIO_125(afg__in4) is  DB[3] bit value.
       write GPIO_126(afg__in5) is  DB[4] bit value.
}

ssize_t  gpio_afg_drv_read(file *file, int8 *buf, size_t len, loff_t *f_pos)
{
   1.read DB from GPIO value.
       read DB[0] from GPIO_122(afg__in1)  bit value.
       read DB[1] from GPIO_123(afg__in2)  bit value.
       read DB[2] from GPIO_124(afg__in3)  bit value.
       read DB[3] from GPIO_125(afg__in4)  bit value.
       read DB[4] from GPIO_126(afg__in5)  bit value.

2. copy code DB to user.
      _arch_copy_to_user(buf, DB,len); 
}

The following is the logical pseudocode for a few key functions.
It is still unclear how the RK3399 GPIO_122~GPIO_126 corresponds to the pins of the AD9744 DAC, and you need to explore. Good luck!
« Last Edit: Today at 04:06:01 am by souldevelop »
Darkness before dawn.

Offline AceyTech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2546 on: Today at 05:24:57 am »
It is still unclear how the RK3399 GPIO_122~GPIO_126 corresponds to the pins of the AD9744 DAC, and you need to explore. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure that the AFG board gets the 14 bit DAC data from the FPGA. 

My Hypothesis: The GPIO's you identified might be to/from AFG board. (to set gain, offsets, etc..?)
« Last Edit: Today at 05:38:21 am by AceyTech »

Offline souldevelop

• Regular Contributor
  • Serious and rigorous
« Reply #2547 on: Today at 05:27:37 am »

I'm pretty sure that the AFG board gets the 14 bit DAC data from the FPGA.  The GPIO's you identified might be for setting gain, offsets, etc..?

I imagine that afg_gpio.ko driver just provides module status detection, or other configurations, and the specific 14-bit data is transmitted through the FPGA, since it only has 5-bit data.
Darkness before dawn.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf