Author Topic: Detach display board ribbon cable on 34401a from the connector on main PCB?  (Read 2138 times)

Offline DefinitelyNotLarryEllisonTopic starter

• Contributor
I'm trying to detach the front panel/display board from the main PCB in my 34401a. Does anyone know the correct technique for getting that ribbon cable out of the connector/header without destroying my meter?

I've read the disassembly "instructions" in the repair manual, but they are completely unhelpful. There's even instruction on the inside of the meter that says something like "Push Down." But everything I've tried completely feels like I'm going to break something.

I've searched these forums and the internet in general, but come up empty.

BTW, I'm already quite certain it's something really stupid and totally obvious to everyone but me...

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
Try this as your lightly pulling out the cable...

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
Exactly, push down on the tab firmly (if you push too lightly, it would appear as if it is not a push tab), it will release the cable. 

Same process to reconnect, good luck.

Try this as your lightly pulling out the cable...

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
A view from the side...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline DefinitelyNotLarryEllisonTopic starter

• Contributor
Thanks to you both - I'll give it a(nother) shot!

This is exactly one of the things I had initially tried, but the PCB was flexing mightily and I started to get very nervous... Maybe I should try supporting it from the bottom as I push from the top.

Thanks again.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
DON'T PULL HARD ON THE RIBBON CABLE, press the latch release and it easily comes out.
The connectors are obsolete, if you wreck one it's a PITA to change over to another type of connector.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:55:53 pm by floobydust »

Offline Ordinaryman1971

• Frequent Contributor
I just had a meter with one of those being abused. Somebody have tried to push on the release bar with a screwdriver and it obviously slipped. Few traces got damaged and the display didn’t work anymore.
Anybody knows the good “replacement” connector with correct pitch to replace broken one with?

Offline vtp

• Regular Contributor
Anybody knows the good “replacement” connector with correct pitch to replace broken one with?

Molex 52147-1210, Mouser part no 538-52147-1210

Offline sampler1

• Regular Contributor
 well, Sorry for the delay But I have been in a far far away land for awhile.
 Turns out the conector was broken  and I did not do it.. I manually pressed each pin and  I was able to release it and the Flex cable 2mm 12 pin .Each pin has damaged ends. I am thinking of replacing it .
Would anyone know a good replacement. I ordered from Mouser the Molex and a big thanks for that.
Thanks

PS: if anyone was wondering why I wanted to remove the Flex. It is because the 2 wire and 4 wire resistance values were jumping all ove the place. Problem is The Flex cable and conector. Seems to be a common issue.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 03:03:20 am by sampler1 »
“Electronic devices are powered by white smoke. When smoke goes out, device is dead.”

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
this display flex cable "strand" is very rigid, it doesnt tolerate  flex moves for long .... 

and sometimes the strands stick inside the connector pins,  it get very difficult to move / remove the flex from the connector

even pushing very hard on it,  does not release all of them, i had to wiggle a bit ...

you have multiples voltage who goes in it for the vfd board and the mcu ...

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
well, Sorry for the delay But I have been in a far far away land for awhile.
 Turns out the conector was broken  and I did not do it.. I manually pressed each pin and  I was able to release it and the Flex cable 2mm 12 pin .Each pin has damaged ends. I am thinking of replacing it .
Would anyone know a good replacement. I ordered from Mouser the Molex and a big thanks for that.
Thanks

PS: if anyone was wondering why I wanted to remove the Flex. It is because the 2 wire and 4 wire resistance values were jumping all ove the place. Problem is The Flex cable and conector. Seems to be a common issue.

That connector has nothing to do with 2W or 4W - it's strictly for the front panel board which is display and keyboard.
I would say the relay/switch or another connection is oxidized and handling the board affects that. Don't go on a goosechase.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Detach display board ribbon cable on 34401a from the connector on main PCB?
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2024, 02:28:12 am »
front rear switch
k102 relay problems ...

Offline sampler1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2024, 01:18:30 am »
One way or another the connector needs to be replaced.After desoldering I seen in what bad condition it is in. After it is replaced Ill take a look at that relay.
The reason I looked at this is when moving the ribbon cable that 2/4 ohms would work then not work? hummmm
Conector is on order.
Ill let you all know

“Electronic devices are powered by white smoke. When smoke goes out, device is dead.”

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2024, 03:26:21 am »
for sure this flex cable will send commands from the front panel to the meter circuit, say in a master slave configuration  ...

remove the front panel, the meter will stay dumb ...

some reported in the past  some zenner failures and or capacitors failures, on the front panel pcb   ....

if you have the old unobtanium nec  vfd drivers, they may or will leak on the vfd segments over time ...  wich mean the meter can not be repaired on the front panel

if you have the latest  vfd board   you're lucky

normally you had some Hp Agilent notes about the front panel board vs the serial numbers, and FW versions
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 03:29:24 am by coromonadalix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf