Author Topic: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread  (Read 776570 times)

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread
« Reply #875 on: July 11, 2018, 06:35:54 am »
Latest Kickstarter updateQ

Quick update.

US meters have finally started shipping!

217 units shipped today and they will shoot for a minimum of another 200 tomorrow. They got up to backer 1661 in the first lot, so seems they are doing them in order. You should get a tracking number by email when it ships.

Regards

Dave.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline darrellg

• Supporter
« Reply #876 on: July 11, 2018, 03:52:18 pm »
Backer #2250. Just received a notification from FedEx that UEI has created the label for mine and I should get it next Tuesday.

Offline skogen75

« Reply #877 on: July 11, 2018, 08:32:32 pm »
Guess, I’m out of luck.  Backer #528 in the US, and no shipment notification.  Are they going in an order other than backer number?  Alphabetical perhaps?  Guess the wait continues...

Offline treesap

« Reply #878 on: July 11, 2018, 10:13:45 pm »
This is my first ever time to post a question on a forum thread without reading every single page, but there are currently 39, and after reading several, it seems most replies are questions from those who have purchased them.

Has it been announced that production and sales of these will continue once all of these initial (quite late) shipments are made? I got to the party a bit too late to participate in the Kickstarter campaign(s), and am extremely interested in purchasing one when (or if?) they are made be available for regular sale.

Thanks!

Offline qu1ck

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #879 on: July 11, 2018, 11:38:51 pm »
Backer #549 here, got not one but two tracking numbers today. Are they shipping the leads separately?

Edit: I'm in US.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Nothing is true (as far as measurements go)
and everything is permitted (as long as you are ok with magic smoke escaping)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #880 on: July 12, 2018, 01:14:48 am »
Catching up with the 121GW threads from this point is not something for the faint-hearted.  There has been a LOT of interest and discussion.

Has it been announced that production and sales of these will continue once all of these initial (quite late) shipments are made? I got to the party a bit too late to participate in the Kickstarter campaign(s), and am extremely interested in purchasing one when (or if?) they are made be available for regular sale.

Dave has made a significant investment of his resources in getting the 121GW together and is still working hard at resolving issues that have been identified.  You wouldn't do that if the Kickstarter was all you intended to fulfill.  Once the Kickstarter supporters have been sent their meters and the kinks ironed out, you can expect Dave to get the 121GW into his EEVblog shop for anyone to buy.  (I would expect he will have other sales channels available as well - such as Amazon - but that will be up to him.)

When is the question - and I'm sure Dave has been thinking about that.  I suspect he will be looking for a fairly stable product before venturing further.

Patience is key.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:17:22 am by Brumby »

Offline darik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #881 on: July 12, 2018, 01:26:27 am »
When is the question - and I'm sure Dave has been thinking about that.  I suspect he will be looking for a fairly stable product before venturing further.

Patience is key.

I'm sure once the Kickstarters are out it won't take long. It's a good meter, it would be insane not to sell them. Especially after going through all the stress of the Kickstarter.

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #882 on: July 12, 2018, 01:13:05 pm »
it arrived.
backer #935
Happy birthday to me! :-DMM
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #883 on: July 12, 2018, 02:32:00 pm »
CHECK YOUR BATTERY COMPARTMENT
also not liking the solder job I can see on the 10A jack but will need to disassemble to see more.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:39:45 pm by innkeeper »
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #884 on: July 12, 2018, 03:14:31 pm »
on the front side of the board, the jack connector solder joints are very grainy compared to the rest of the solder work, though, i suspect its due to different solder they may have used compared to the rest of the board vs them being cold joints. if it's lead-free, it is likely ok, if this is lead solder then these joints are very bad.

Id post pics, but I misplaced my usb microscope at the moment,  i was using my microscope on the bench which doesn't have a camera.
found the usb microscope.. pics posted below

They apper to be hand soldered and they didn't clean the flux off.
I want to touch up a few of the joints so they flow through to the backside (particularly the 10A jack) and clean up the flux, but i don't want to use dissimilar solder.

Does anyone know if they used lead or lead free on the jacks?

found the USB microscope .. sorry for the crappy image quality... i could not find the original software so used video capture.
sample of two jack solder joints

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 04:04:42 pm by innkeeper »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #885 on: July 12, 2018, 05:53:43 pm »
Does anyone know if they used lead or lead free on the jacks?

Nobody is able to use lead solder in industrial products any more. It has to be lead free.

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #886 on: July 12, 2018, 06:01:20 pm »

Offline darrellg

• Supporter
« Reply #887 on: July 12, 2018, 06:03:06 pm »
Has anyone tried the Energizer Ultimate Lithium cells in it yet?

Offline darik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #888 on: July 12, 2018, 06:44:02 pm »
I've noticed alkalines in general seem way more prone to leakage now than they were several years ago. They don't even have to run dry. I've had newish batteries with lots of charge leak on me. It seems like mild heat, 90 fahrenheit or so, can create enough pressure to burst the seals, especially in AA and AAA. I've gotten in the habit of checking all my batteries regularly, just last week I found a pair of < 1 year old Energizer AAAs in a laser pointer that were just starting to leak while still reading almost 1.4 volts.

I wish I could narrow it down to one brand but I've been burned by them all.

Ugh, not Duracell  :-[
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/leaking-alkaline-batteries-and-expensive-equipment-a-rogues-gallery/msg1471555/#msg1471555

Look carefully at that picture I posted and use at your own risk.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #889 on: July 12, 2018, 08:52:26 pm »
Has anyone tried the Energizer Ultimate Lithium cells in it yet?

Yes.
I immediately replaced the 'as shipped' batteries with Energizer Ultimate Lithium.
Works just fine.

Editing my original post for the benefit of new users:
Do not use Lithium batteries in your 121GW.
Confirmation post from Dave here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-121gw-multimeter-issues/msg1782236/#msg1782236
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:37:06 pm by Mr.B »
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance

Offline Octane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #890 on: July 14, 2018, 12:27:45 am »
Hi all,

I’m backer #2235 and I was surprised by the meter showing up on my doorstep today!
No shipping notification... anyways, I have firmware 1.18 installed and I like how the knob feels.
So far so good...

Michael
W4MFT

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #891 on: July 16, 2018, 12:38:43 pm »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #892 on: July 16, 2018, 12:54:56 pm »
I’m backer #2235 and I was surprised by the meter showing up on my doorstep today!
No shipping notification...

Strange how some people are reporting not getting the tracking email. Spam box?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #893 on: July 16, 2018, 12:56:08 pm »
I immediately replaced the 'as shipped' batteries with Energizer Ultimate Lithium.
Works just fine.

Don't think I ever did a full life test with those, should be substantially more than Alkaline

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #894 on: July 16, 2018, 12:59:08 pm »
If the tracking email has terms like USD money address etc, yes it could interpreted from an automated system like scam email. Special for emails with custom filters and servers (nor gmail etc).

If the emails that didn't receive isn;t free public emails (gmail, yahoo etc), it could be the case.

Alexander.

Offline Octane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #895 on: July 16, 2018, 01:38:39 pm »
I checked my spam/junk folders. It was not in there. And I usually get all the shipment notifications from UPS, Fedex, and the like... anyways, it is more important that the meter arrived.

Thanks Dave!

Michael
W4MFT

Offline darrellg

• Supporter
« Reply #896 on: July 16, 2018, 03:40:38 pm »
No shipping notification...

Strange how some people are reporting not getting the tracking email. Spam box?

The only tracking email I got was from FedEx. I have a FedEx account, so I get notified whenever a package is sent to my address. I never got tracking info from the shipper.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #897 on: July 16, 2018, 06:05:43 pm »
 Got my meter Friday, still learning my way around it. Quite impressive. Downloaded the updated firmware, but have not installed it yet.

I got a tracking notices last Monday or Tuesday, from FedEx, not from UEI. That was the only notification I got. Per the notice, expected delivery date was Friday, and indeed it was waiting for me when I got home. Complete with the EEVBlog No-BS packaging. Carry case, Bryman leads included.

Offline KV6O

« Reply #898 on: July 17, 2018, 02:55:51 am »
Backer 1788 in the US, and I received mine over the weekend - yay!  I was notified by FedEx when it shipped as well.  And I unboxed it WITHOUT making a video, just like back in the day when you got stuff you just opened it up and used it.  I know, seems strange...

Initial impressions positive, it came loaded with 1.18 firmware (which isn't even listed on the website), I upgraded it to 1.22 yesterday. 

I'll have to do some speed comparisons with my Fluke, it feels slow on resistance measurements as I believe others have reported.  The rotary switch feels solid.  I dunno which leads I got, but they feel a bit cheap. I'll used it in the field today to check on some -48VDC battery plant float voltages, and it worked just fine and was easy to use.  I also linked it to my Android tablet, but the app seems like a beta app - not much too it, and display doesn't update.  Not sure the usefulness there that I can see just yet. 

I'll have to dig further to see how it performs, just glad to have it after 7+ months!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:57:26 am by KV6O »

Online AgiRigSig

• Contributor
« Reply #899 on: July 17, 2018, 07:37:10 pm »
Backer 2269..Germany
just received a tracking number from DHL (Welectron), the multimeter will be delivered on Thursday. Super-fast processing time from Welectron, super done.. :-+ :-+ :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf