Author Topic: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread  (Read 770542 times)

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread
« Reply #1100 on: September 24, 2018, 01:58:57 am »
FYI, Installed, no problems. 

Offline Jon.C

• Supporter
« Reply #1101 on: September 24, 2018, 05:21:19 am »

The following users thanked this post: hammy, 1anX

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1102 on: September 24, 2018, 09:21:18 pm »
I couldn't take it any longer :-/O

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:47:06 pm by bicycleguy »

The following users thanked this post: 1anX, Andrew McNamara

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1103 on: September 24, 2018, 10:19:21 pm »

Great idea!
The meter could be made with a small removable cover for this very purpose and retain rating?

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1104 on: September 24, 2018, 10:24:42 pm »
Great idea!
The meter could be made with a small removable cover for this very purpose and retain rating?

Don't know about whatever governments rules and regs but a piece of electrical tape seems to seal it pretty good. ^-^

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1105 on: September 24, 2018, 11:29:52 pm »
Ok, I have to ask.  Did you make this modification because you log a lot to the SC card or was it because of the number of firmware updates you have done?

Yes >:D

Offline Bratster

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1106 on: September 25, 2018, 05:18:00 am »
Brilliant!
Edit: but keep in mind that this does either partially or completely negate the CAT safety rating of the meter.

Sent from my Fi Moto x4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:40:05 pm by Bratster »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1107 on: September 25, 2018, 07:31:17 am »
Has anyone stopped for a second and asked why such a cutout might NOT be a good move?

The issue isn't new.  It has been discussed during earlier development.

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1108 on: September 25, 2018, 09:32:44 am »
Has anyone stopped for a second and asked why such a cutout might NOT be a good move?

Its his meter and he can hack it to how it works best for him!

Just as you can do whatever you want to your meter, hack away or not, its your choice!

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1109 on: September 25, 2018, 09:49:42 am »
I would prefer a more rectangular hole for a rubber cap. To stop moisture and dust. I believe moisture could effect the current amplifier fronted.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1110 on: September 25, 2018, 12:07:16 pm »

Its his meter and he can hack it to how it works best for him!

Just as you can do whatever you want to your meter, hack away or not, its your choice!

I never said he couldn't do whatever he wanted to do to his own meter.  I just raised the point as to why it might not be a good move.

If someone KNOWS what the implications are and chooses to make such a modification, then fine.  But DON'T start espousing this as a GREAT IDEA - whether or not you appreciate the risk.

SO if you want to blindly advocate such a modification - then you need to pull your head in.   IMHO.

Offline dcac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1111 on: September 25, 2018, 01:55:17 pm »
The backcover om my 121gw is a very tight fit and would never fall off by it self - so I just don’t tighten the two screws at all if I’m doing any logging.

Offline Bratster

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1112 on: September 25, 2018, 08:36:08 pm »

Correct,
NOT a good move if you want to keep the full CAT safety rating intact.

I added that note to my prior post just in case any newbies come across it.

But personally I would never use this meter on anything more powerful than a 120v  wall outlet. Nor would I trust it.

That's what the Fluke meters are for.

I did a similar modification to my mooshimeter to allow access to the SD card and button. And while that one may get connected to something powerful, it's Bluetooth with no display so it wouldn't be handheld.

Sent from my Fi Moto x4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:40:49 pm by Bratster »

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1113 on: September 25, 2018, 10:07:39 pm »

I never said he couldn't do whatever he wanted to do to his own meter.  I just raised the point as to why it might not be a good move.

If someone KNOWS what the implications are and chooses to make such a modification, then fine.  But DON'T start espousing this as a GREAT IDEA - whether or not you appreciate the risk.

SO if you want to blindly advocate such a modification - then you need to pull your head in.   IMHO.

Brumby, Brumby, Brumby, what are we going to do about your lack of reading comprehension and BS statement?

Ok, firstly I didn't advocate for everyone to make the modification, thats your BS spin on it. I liked the idea of having the SD card accessible and even asked the question, if it might have a cover provided to keep the rating!

Have you actually purchased this meter yet Brumby?

Your entitled to your opinion, but I would expect you to keep touch with reality and actually read what I have posted before making such misleading and mischievous comments!

If you struggle to comprehend the english language then maybe you should take a refresher course or you may have just had a bad day and needed to blow of some steam?

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1114 on: September 25, 2018, 10:41:40 pm »
Your   "You're"  entitled to your opinion, but I would expect you to keep touch with reality and actually read what I have posted before making such misleading and mischievous comments!

If you struggle to comprehend the english language then maybe you should take a refresher course or you may have just had a bad day and needed to blow of some steam?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.   :-DD :-DD  Believe me, this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Joe, grammar and comprehension are two different things!
In any case, thanks for picking up on the grammatical error and I stand corrected and can indeed see the humour in it   :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:45:31 pm by 1anX »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1115 on: September 26, 2018, 03:25:09 am »

Brumby, Brumby, Brumby, what are we going to do about your lack of reading comprehension and BS statement?

Ok, firstly I didn't advocate for everyone to make the modification, thats your BS spin on it.
Great idea!
This sounded like encouragement to me.  It certainly was an endorsement.

I liked the idea of having the SD card accessible and even asked the question, if it might have a cover provided to keep the rating!
A subtle difference from your original statement.  It still didn't acknowledge the potential issues of trying to do that.

I knew you would throw this up.  You might be surprised to learn that I don't need to have the meter in my possession to be able to make valid comment about some aspects of it - especially when the subject had already been discussed some time ago.  You might also note that, at no time, have I entered into any discussion on the 121GW where I have offered comment or information that was based on possession.

Your entitled to your opinion, but I would expect you to keep touch with reality and actually read what I have posted before making such misleading and mischievous comments!

Here's a pot and kettle moment if there ever was one.  :palm:

IF you had comprehended what I had written you should have noticed that AT NO TIME did I say someone shouldn't "hack" their meter as described.  I simply asked a question.  It was you who invented such a direction.

Respond if you must - but this has been enough of a tangent and I won't drag it out any more.

Finis
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:31:41 am by Brumby »

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1116 on: September 26, 2018, 03:59:28 am »

"I knew you would throw this up.  You might be surprised to learn that I don't need to have the meter in my possession to be able to make valid comment about some aspects of it - especially when the subject had already been discussed some time ago.  You might also note that, at no time, have I entered into any discussion on the 121GW where I have offered comment or information that was based on possession."

I beg to differ, if you actually owned this meter and used the SD card for data logging as well as for firmware updates you would understand that easy access to this card would be a huge benefit!

I am hoping that one day soon the BT radio function will eliminate the need for the SD card shuffle!

Wait and see how BT works out, as the potential is there.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1117 on: September 26, 2018, 04:28:45 am »
Apologies for not walking away as I promised - but this just has to be addressed...

I beg to differ, if you actually owned this meter and used the SD card for data logging as well as for firmware updates you would understand that easy access to this card would be a huge benefit!
I'm sorry for saying this - but you are an ass.  One does not have to own or use this meter to appreciate the hassle involved.  It's been mentioned many times.  To say I would not understand the benefit of the hack is dumb and just seems to be a way for you to try and justify yourself.

Please read what I wrote about the hack.  My involvement was to question the wisdom of doing so - not the benefit.

While I don't claim the high levels of comprehension skills you seem to be espousing, perhaps you should take another lesson or two.

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1118 on: September 26, 2018, 06:03:23 am »
Apologies for not walking away as I promised - but this just has to be addressed...

No apologies necessary Brumby!

The SD card is only one aspect of the meter, and that may evolve over time! The meter has many functions and still a few bugs to be ironed out. The thing is Brumby, you don't own and use the meter or have any hands on real experience with it.

I would go so far as to say your comments are simply your opinion and not based on any experience of using the 121GW meter. Your simply commenting because you like the sound of your own voice, and not offering anything of substance to this thread.

My advice would be to "pony up" and buy the meter, then add your 5 cents worth on the function of the 121GW!

Brumby = wild horse, "pony up" is an intended horse pun, just in case you don't comprehend the intention  :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:05:34 am by 1anX »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1119 on: September 26, 2018, 07:13:24 am »
Ah - the "Exclusivity" club - and I'm not a member.

You've made that very clear from months ago.

Offline Fryguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1120 on: September 28, 2018, 09:46:49 am »
Did anyone notice this . . . . ?   :-/O

Yes i know it is not important at all . Just found it doing a little RTFM .

Is it possible to get the android app .apk file for offline installation ?  I hate the google spy play store !  >:D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:05:42 pm by Fryguy »
Born error amplifier  >.<

Offline TikhonovC

« Reply #1121 on: October 01, 2018, 04:39:41 pm »
Page №15 of the manual (Manual-24-September-2018), DC V accuracy:
Range: 5 V
Resolution: 0.1 ?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:42:15 pm by TikhonovC »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1122 on: October 01, 2018, 05:13:16 pm »
Obviously missing the "mV" - but it is a typo nonetheless.

Offline skyjumper

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1123 on: October 02, 2018, 05:51:54 am »
Is there an estimate when these will be available to those of us who didn't see the Kickstarter? Dave's product page lists it as out of stock. If it matters I'm in the US.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 06:01:50 am by skyjumper »

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1124 on: October 02, 2018, 06:14:50 am »
Is there an estimate when these will be available to those of us who didn't see the Kickstarter? Dave's product page lists it as out of stock. If it matters I'm in the US.

They are available:
https://www.welectron.com/Handheld-Multimeters_s2

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf