Author Topic: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread  (Read 769958 times)

The Doktor and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread
« Reply #1525 on: June 02, 2019, 09:19:07 am »

This video clearly shows the "ghost" reading in resistance mode, for example at the 0:28 mark and at the 3:24 mark. If you have auto-hold turned on will it capture these ghost readings instead of the final correct reading? I would prefer that the display is suppressed until it settles on a final reading.

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1526 on: June 02, 2019, 09:47:11 am »
Some resistance ranges are still affected by noise , probably where the ADC is at the maximum sensitivity . Overall the measurement current is too small on all ranges if you compare it with a known brand multimeter and this force the ADC to be very sensitive and easily capturing any noise from the hands holding the probes . It would be fantastic if in real world we would measure resistors like in the video , without holding the probes .
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 09:57:26 am by CDaniel »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #1527 on: June 02, 2019, 10:02:36 am »
Some resistance ranges are still affected by noise , probably where the ADC is at the maximum sensitivity . Overall the measurement current is too small on all ranges if you compare it with a known brand multimeter and this force the ADC to be very sensitive and easily capturing any noise from the hands holding the probes . It would be fantastic if in real world we would measure resistors like in the video , without holding the probes .

So you are claiming the Meter is faulty because of being used with poor technique with no evidence I have seen to back it up? Seriously what a load of  :bullshit:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1528 on: June 02, 2019, 10:06:50 am »
I just say that some people would use it working on something  ;D not just for show .
Now it is much better than it was with some old firmware , but still in some ranges last 2 digits will fluctuate .
Sorry if I spoil somebody sensation that this is the perfect meter .
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:10:46 am by CDaniel »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1529 on: June 02, 2019, 04:52:21 pm »
High res video of old man hands.   :-DD :-DD

Looks much better (firmware, not your hands). 

I did pick up both programming adapters for this meter.  I reprogrammed the BLE controller on the prototype meter but have decided to hold off doing anything with the firmware.   
I was thinking they could reprogram the boot from some other means  but I agree most of the time, you would never do this on a handheld (or any product).  Normally true for the  application as well. 

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1530 on: June 02, 2019, 05:01:06 pm »
Thanks, I will have a look at that video shortly.   :)

I just found this video on Youtube where someone has created a splendid addition to the tilt stand on the 121GW meter.   :-/O     

Too bad the stand just wasn't wider at the base.  I wonder thy they didn't print a whole new stand that would step out from the boot and then lay flat across the back rather than to snap in this extension.   Seems like even adding even 5mm to to both sides would really help. 

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1531 on: June 02, 2019, 11:31:20 pm »
I was thinking they could reprogram the boot from some other means

No, and that's the whole point, so that the bootloaded is fully protected from idiot users.
In theory there should be no way you can crash the firmware upload and brick your meter, i.e. taking out the card during programming, or power interruption, or corrupted code etc.

Offline Smafe

« Reply #1532 on: June 02, 2019, 11:40:15 pm »
I think I may have bricked my meter. I downloaded the V2 firmware, extracted the file, renamed it, transferred it on to a different Micro SD card that I'd formatted in Windows 10, then put it in the meter and tried to update it. It's been sitting at IAP- douun for over half an hour now. Help!

Offline BrianG61UK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1533 on: June 02, 2019, 11:51:22 pm »
I think I may have bricked my meter. I downloaded the V2 firmware, extracted the file, renamed it, transferred it on to a different Micro SD card that I'd formatted in Windows 10, then put it in the meter and tried to update it. It's been sitting at IAP- douun for over half an hour now. Help!
It should only take about 5 seconds.
Say a prayer and switch off and on again.

Later:
I recommend this: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/ for formatting SD cards using Windows. Windows itself tends to format them in nonstandard ways that can confuse some devices.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 12:19:58 am by BrianG61UK »

Offline Smafe

« Reply #1534 on: June 03, 2019, 12:22:53 am »
Two hours after starting the upgrade it hadn't moved, so I took a deep breath turned it off and tried putting the new firmware on the original Micro SD. I put it in and tried uploading it and it worked, like you said - in less than 5 seconds. When I turn the meter on the backlight flashes briefly but it's done that since I upgraded to 1.57. I'll test the meter out later and hope like hell that I haven't shagged it. I was just trying to use a faster Micro SD. Oh well, we live and learn, and make dicks of ourselves.

Offline BrianG61UK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1535 on: June 03, 2019, 12:35:36 am »
Two hours after starting the upgrade it hadn't moved, so I took a deep breath turned it off and tried putting the new firmware on the original Micro SD. I put it in and tried uploading it and it worked, like you said - in less than 5 seconds. When I turn the meter on the backlight flashes briefly but it's done that since I upgraded to 1.57. I'll test the meter out later and hope like hell that I haven't shagged it. I was just trying to use a faster Micro SD. Oh well, we live and learn, and make dicks of ourselves.
That all sounds normal again.
That backlight flicks on for a moment on mine too.
Even when they work right firmware updates are scary, especially if you have no real idea how much thought has gone into making the process failure proof.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 12:37:46 am by BrianG61UK »

The following users thanked this post: Smafe

Offline Dino KL0S

• Contributor
« Reply #1536 on: June 03, 2019, 01:27:23 am »
I had the same problem earlier today. Turns out you need to rename the file from EEVBlog2_00.bin to EEVBlog.bin; that did the trick and it updated to V2 in only a few seconds. Had the same "oh crap" thought when the "down" display just sat there...took a chance and cycled the power and fortunately the boot loader didn't have a problem!   :phew:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1537 on: June 03, 2019, 01:46:07 am »
I had the same problem earlier today. Turns out you need to rename the file from EEVBlog2_00.bin to EEVBlog.bin

You just like it tell you to do right above the very link you download it from?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1538 on: June 03, 2019, 04:06:55 am »

No, and that's the whole point, so that the bootloaded is fully protected from idiot users.
In theory there should be no way you can crash the firmware upload and brick your meter, i.e. taking out the card during programming, or power interruption, or corrupted code etc.

Perhaps your customers are just a bit overzealous causing them to experiment more than they should.  After all, isn't that the jist of Don't Turn it on,  Take it apart.   

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1539 on: June 03, 2019, 04:12:28 am »
I just say that some people would use it working on something  ;D not just for show .
Now it is much better than it was with some old firmware , but still in some ranges last 2 digits will fluctuate .

It is my everyday driver in my toolbag and works fine. It is you who has the problem, sell your meter and stop being a sook.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1540 on: June 03, 2019, 04:18:52 am »

I just compared it to the Brymen BM869 and Keysight U1272A and they have exactly the same fluctuation when handling the leads, even worse perhaps, using the same 30M resistor with the same leads.

The following users thanked this post: 1anX

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1541 on: June 03, 2019, 04:20:23 am »

Perhaps your customers are just a bit overzealous causing them to experiment more than they should.  After all, isn't that the jist of Don't Turn it on,  Take it apart.

All the more reason for me not to encourage anyone to experiment with the bootloader, let alone provide them instructions to do so.

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1542 on: June 03, 2019, 04:21:36 am »

It is my everyday driver in my toolbag and works fine. It is you who has the problem, sell your meter and stop being a sook.

Hey BeanFlying, I believe CDaniel is entitled to share his opinion just as you and I am!
You like the meter and its in your tool bag thats cool.
CDaniel wants to criticize certain functions of the meter and how it operates thats cool too!
We even have one person in this thread who shares his opinion on this meter and he doesn't even own or have one. Thats amazingly cool as well!
No need to get your knickers in a knot over opinionated people because as we all know, everyone has one (IMO)  :-+

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1543 on: June 03, 2019, 04:24:37 am »

Hey BeanFlying, I believe CDaniel is entitled to share his opinion just as you and I am!
You like the meter and its in your tool bag thats cool.
CDaniel wants to criticize certain functions of the meter and how it operates thats cool too!
We even have one person in this thread who shares his opinion on this meter and he doesn't even own or have one. Thats amazingly cool as well!
No need to get your knickers in a knot over opinionated people because as we all know, everyone has one (IMO)  :-+

He had a first dig and as such I WILL REPLY if I think it warranted. Which I have done in this case. I will not be told by you or anyone that I shouldn't reply.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1544 on: June 03, 2019, 04:28:06 am »
I had the same problem earlier today. Turns out you need to rename the file from EEVBlog2_00.bin to EEVBlog.bin; that did the trick and it updated to V2 in only a few seconds. Had the same "oh crap" thought when the "down" display just sat there...took a chance and cycled the power and fortunately the boot loader didn't have a problem!   :phew:

For those having a whinge about, i've fixed the ZIP file.
I'll await the whinge when someone mistakes the eevblog.bin for an older eevblog.bin

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1545 on: June 03, 2019, 04:32:11 am »

I just compared it to the Brymen BM869 and Keysight U1272A and they have exactly the same fluctuation when handling the leads, even worse perhaps, using the same 30M resistor with the same leads.

Also the BM235, and the Fluke 17B have exactly the same fluctuation.
Shall I keep going  ;D

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1546 on: June 03, 2019, 04:52:06 am »
I didn't say it's the highest range ... the reading fluctuate in 5K range for example when you hold the probes .
Just don't ask for proofs , I don't make videos for something that everyone with 2 hands and willingness to use them can replicate easily  ;D...
Perhaps it is just a lack of filtration at the ADC input . Before firmware 1.57 was much worse , so something can be done .
It is at least silly to design a meter and not check if is stable when holding the probes ...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1547 on: June 03, 2019, 05:06:44 am »
I didn't say it's the highest range ... the reading fluctuate in 5K range for example when you hold the probes .

Nope, doesn't do it for me. 5k resistor only varies +/-1LSD, maybe 2LSD at a pinch with cable handing.
And that's either touching cables (i.e. capacitive coupling) or touching either probe, and even rubbing my shoes on the carpet to generate some ESD.
No worse than a Keysight U1272A.
Are you using yours in high V/m field or something?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 05:12:41 am by EEVblog »

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1548 on: June 03, 2019, 05:21:43 am »
OK , a video with a 47K , even with no touching  hands , just the bench noise . If I move the meter away from the table it is stable , but obviously something is not right

https://streamable.com/giz9s

Offline darik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1549 on: June 03, 2019, 05:26:51 am »
OK , a video with a 47K , even with no touching  hands , just the bench noise . If I move the meter away from the table it is stable , but obviously something is not right

https://streamable.com/giz9s

:-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf