Author Topic: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread  (Read 770518 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread
« Reply #1775 on: April 28, 2020, 03:32:04 am »
I've tried searching but does the 121GW no longer come with a case?  Just bought a new one from the official distributer over here and there wasn't one in the box, the meter was just wrapped in bubble wrap.......

The meter has never come standard with a case.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1776 on: April 28, 2020, 03:33:54 am »
Regarding getting logged data off the internal MicroSD card... why not make it possible to do a File Transfer over BT? This should address users physical accessibility issues. Tried a BT file transfer from Windows 10 PC but the 121GW ignores the "Receive a File" request. Is it an issue the software stack to implement this feature is beyond the hardware's capability?

It was considered very early on back in the development but it was deemed to be too hard. IIRC it needed added support in the bootloader code, so I don't think it's even possible with just a firmware update.

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1777 on: April 28, 2020, 07:05:55 am »
I've tried searching but does the 121GW no longer come with a case?  Just bought a new one from the official distributer over here and there wasn't one in the box, the meter was just wrapped in bubble wrap.......

The meter has never come standard with a case.

No worries.  I'm so far impressed

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1778 on: April 28, 2020, 07:49:15 pm »
Regarding getting logged data off the internal MicroSD card... why not make it possible to do a File Transfer over BT? This should address users physical accessibility issues. Tried a BT file transfer from Windows 10 PC but the 121GW ignores the "Receive a File" request. Is it an issue the software stack to implement this feature is beyond the hardware's capability?

It was considered very early on back in the development but it was deemed to be too hard. IIRC it needed added support in the bootloader code, so I don't think it's even possible with just a firmware update.

What if you could "play back" the logged data on the display so the app could read it?

Offline moore

• Contributor
« Reply #1779 on: May 02, 2020, 05:33:21 pm »

Is this meter still available for sale in the US?  I only found a couple of used ebay listings.  Amazon says no stock. 

Is there any issue with ordering directly from the site - customs holds etc.?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1780 on: May 03, 2020, 08:38:53 am »
Is this meter still available for sale in the US?  I only found a couple of used ebay listings.  Amazon says no stock. 
Is there any issue with ordering directly from the site - customs holds etc.?

No customs issues for the US. It ships via DHL express courier from my site.
I do not have enough stock at present to restock Amazon.

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1781 on: May 30, 2020, 08:55:48 am »
About a month ago I bought three more multimeters, two £40  ones with bluetooth so I can monitor two voltages and display the values on the iPad and a 121GW as an accurate decent quality one on the bench.  I have a Keithley 2100 and two Philips bench meters but sometimes it's easier just use a hand held meter.  My first impressions are good and I like the probes.  The possible issue I have with the 121GW is reading small values of resistance.  I have built a bench adjustable load 2/4/8/16 ohms and the new meters and bench meters all work with it but the 121GW just reads that there is no connection.  I can read larger values and the accuracy matches up very well with the keighley but small values are not working.  I have ended up switching leads and using the cheap ones which seems silly

Any ideas? 

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1782 on: May 30, 2020, 08:58:49 am »
But what is showing when shorting leads ?

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1783 on: May 30, 2020, 12:09:26 pm »
But what is showing when shorting leads ?

0.046 ohms

I've just checked it now and it read the resistance of a transformer correctly.

I'm going to have to work out the context of it doing this and repost

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1784 on: June 04, 2020, 06:57:29 pm »
Ok it's not working again....

Unless I'm missing something obvious.

I have a 56K resistor with probes attached either side.  First I'm measuring with a brilliant cheap multimeter the Owen B35T+. It measures the resistor at 56K5 which is confirmed using using Keithley 2100.  Then I haven't changed anything at all but simply moved the probes from the Owen to the 121GW.  The 121GW measures the value as...... well it doesn't even recognise there is a value.  I then put the probes back into the Owen and it is measuring the same.  All I get out of the 121GW is OF.L. Not good for a meter costing 10-15 times the amount. 

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1785 on: June 04, 2020, 07:02:03 pm »
And I've just plugged it in again and it seems to be working.  I'm been having these issues from day 1 but as I have over ten meters I've not got round to doing anything with it.......

Offline dcac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1786 on: June 04, 2020, 08:35:48 pm »
You seem to have the 121gw in Continuity mode and not in Ohms mode - Continuity can only measure up to 500.00 ohms.

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1787 on: June 04, 2020, 09:23:05 pm »
You seem to have the 121gw in Continuity mode and not in Ohms mode - Continuity can only measure up to 500.00 ohms.

? I switch to ohms and it was the only resistance mode that came up.  Do I have to change something else?  That doesn't seem very intuitive.  What tells you it's in continuity mode?

Offline darrellg

• Supporter
« Reply #1788 on: June 04, 2020, 09:40:00 pm »

? I switch to ohms and it was the only resistance mode that came up.  Do I have to change something else?  That doesn't seem very intuitive.  What tells you it's in continuity mode?

Press the Mode button until is says AUTO in the top left and the Ohms symbol appears on the right.

The following users thanked this post: cowasaki

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1789 on: June 04, 2020, 09:41:37 pm »

Press the Mode button until is says AUTO in the top left and the Ohms symbol appears on the right.

Does it remember it next time?

Offline dcac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1790 on: June 04, 2020, 09:46:35 pm »
Yes last mode selected with red button is remembered - even after power of I think.

Continuity mode is shown by symbol in red circle.

The following users thanked this post: cowasaki

Offline ve2mrx

• Contributor
« Reply #1791 on: June 23, 2020, 09:24:19 pm »
Hi everyone,

I got a 121GW last month from the EEVblog website, and I have one question:
What is the difference between the currently-sold 121GW "pre-Kickstarter" model sold by EEVblog's website and the "normal" production one?
My PCB looks like it's 2019-09 dated...

NOTE: The current stock meter from this website is the latest pre-Kickstarter build that has the new PCB (doesn’t require the shim) and larger protection transistors fitted. It also comes with the UEi test leads instead of the Brymen test leads. These leads do not have banana tip adapters like the Brymen leads

I'm OK with the different leads or cosmetics. I'm really wondering about performance/quality differences.

Hi Dave,
Thanks everyone!

73's de Martin VE2MRX

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1792 on: June 23, 2020, 11:14:43 pm »
Hi everyone,

I got a 121GW last month from the EEVblog website, and I have one question:
What is the difference between the currently-sold 121GW "pre-Kickstarter" model sold by EEVblog's website and the "normal" production one?
My PCB looks like it's 2019-09 dated...

NOTE: The current stock meter from this website is the latest pre-Kickstarter build that has the new PCB (doesn’t require the shim) and larger protection transistors fitted. It also comes with the UEi test leads instead of the Brymen test leads. These leads do not have banana tip adapters like the Brymen leads

Oops, that should read "post-Kickstarter"!
My store has had the latest hardware build for many months now.

Offline ve2mrx

• Contributor
« Reply #1793 on: June 24, 2020, 02:07:32 am »
Hi Dave!

Thanks for the explanation!

Indeed, I found it odd that the PCB was 2019-09 and it was supposed to be "pre-Kickstarter"... I figured all that was "Pre-Kickstarter" was the meter's shell and boot, meticulously upgraded with the new guts :P

Well, your comment explains everything!

Thanks!
Martin
near Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1794 on: June 25, 2020, 12:01:47 pm »
To be honest I am less than impressed with the 121gw. An experienced engineer should not not to resort to the manual every time he wants to do something that is basically simple. I’m just trying to work out the wiring in a speaker cab. The difference between the resistances is small but the leads I’m using are showing as 1.5 ohms. Now that probably because I’m going through several adapters but I don’t have five arms so it’s the only way I can manage with what I have with me. Simple just zero the probes and it’s not a problem!!!!

Err no. How do I zero the probes? On my Keighley there is a nice zero button. On the 121gw? No I can’t work it out. This is the second time I’ve had issues with this DMM and it’s the second time I’ve used it. The first first it wouldn’t read certain resistances at all because it was in some mode.

Any clues?  If it had been a £10 DDM I would have chucked it out of the window by now

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1795 on: June 25, 2020, 12:15:13 pm »
Err no. How do I zero the probes? On my Keighley there is a nice zero button. On the 121gw?
The's a nice REL-Δ button.

Exactly the same as on my Fluke 87V, and FWIW, the UNI-T 61-D I previously had...
Or did I misunderstand something? :-//
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #1796 on: June 25, 2020, 12:20:10 pm »
To be honest I am less than impressed with the 121gw. An experienced engineer should not not to resort to the manual every time he wants to do something that is basically simple. I .... Snip

:o Rel, Zero, Null ........ all in common use so  :-//
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1797 on: June 25, 2020, 12:26:12 pm »
That was the first thing I tried REL doesn’t do anything at all.

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1798 on: June 25, 2020, 12:29:10 pm »
Ok I’ve pressed it and wobbled it and pressed it harder then suddenly it zeros. I think I might have a slightly dodgy button. That would explain things....  will have a proper mess later I need to get this cab back together.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1799 on: June 25, 2020, 12:44:15 pm »
Ok it's not working again....

Unless I'm missing something obvious.

I have a 56K resistor with probes attached either side.  First I'm measuring with a brilliant cheap multimeter the Owen B35T+. It measures the resistor at 56K5 which is confirmed using using Keithley 2100.  Then I haven't changed anything at all but simply moved the probes from the Owen to the 121GW.  The 121GW measures the value as...... well it doesn't even recognise there is a value.  I then put the probes back into the Owen and it is measuring the same.  All I get out of the 121GW is OF.L. Not good for a meter costing 10-15 times the amount. 

I have a similar issue on Ohms range. In my case is the rotary switch. If it is not centered exactly, it doesn't behave correctly.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf