Author Topic: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread  (Read 779735 times)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread
« Reply #2025 on: January 30, 2024, 06:36:30 am »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline PhilipG

« Reply #2026 on: February 02, 2024, 09:16:13 am »
I'm new here, but I have a 121GW with firmware 2.05.  Can anyone tell me how to turn the beeper off when making low resistance measurements?

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2027 on: February 02, 2024, 02:22:39 pm »
Page 61 of the manual:
Last Revised: 1 March 2020 121GW User Manual

BUZZER ON/OFF
If you wish to disable/enable the buzzer to perform the following steps:
1. Navigate to the b-OFF or b-ON menu item using the SETUP button.
2. Press and hold SETUP, until display flashes.
3. Press UP/DOWN to toggle between “b-OFF” and “b-ON”.
4. To save the setting press and hold SETUP, until display no longer
flashes. :popcorn:

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2028 on: February 03, 2024, 02:52:12 am »
I'm new here, but I have a 121GW with firmware 2.05.  Can anyone tell me how to turn the beeper off when making low resistance measurements?
The 121GW doesn't beep during low resistance measurements unless you have the continuity mode selected.  "b-OFF" and "b-ON" do not apply to continuity mode.

So it sounds like you need to switch from continuity mode to resistance mode.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2029 on: March 22, 2024, 05:47:22 pm »
i tried putting it in cart but it says it does not ship to my address, my address is Jordan - Irbid - ZIP code 21110.

also, when bought does it come in a bag or what?

Offline Wrenches of Death

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2030 on: March 22, 2024, 06:31:46 pm »
I picked up a new 121GW a while back. It's a recent one, built in 2024. So far, so good. It's an interesting meter.

I backed up the calibration to SD card, copied it to one of my Linux computers and attempted to view it without success.

The meter is running under 2.05. I downloaded the "cal_decode.py" script and executed it under Python version 3.10.12 and the process failed. The result was unformatted garbage.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
WoD

FOUND IT!

It works fine when saving the data to a different SD card. I did a full format of the original card and tried it again with the same results. What ever the problem is, it isn't showing up during format on a Win7 or on a Linux box. The 32G SD card that came with the meter has a problem.

Hopefully it isn't a write issue with the meter itself.

WoD

BAD SD card!

The meter saves the cal data just fine with three other cards and the python script decodes them all properly.

If this was a computer, I'd throw it off of the roof into the parking lot. :-)

WoD

« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 03:28:27 pm by Wrenches of Death »

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2031 on: March 26, 2024, 09:34:03 pm »
i tried putting it in cart but it says it does not ship to my address, my address is Jordan - Irbid - ZIP code 21110.

anyone can help? the site rejects my address.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2032 on: March 27, 2024, 02:06:32 am »

Jordan is a Zone 7 country, shipping costs almost as much as the meter does. I don't ship beyond Zone 5.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2033 on: March 27, 2024, 02:39:57 am »

You could look at a Drop Shipper and order ex USA. A very quick check of https://www.stackry.com/en who I have used a bit into Australia (so far a good service for smaller high value items sellers won't ship direct) showed Jordan at least twice the cost of a meter sized parcel into Australia.

Not a solution but it is an option but beware some drop shippers are sharks and reports of holding parcels hostage for 'extra fees' are common.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2034 on: March 27, 2024, 06:16:24 am »

Jordan is a Zone 7 country, shipping costs almost as much as the meter does. I don't ship beyond Zone 5.

well, i wonder why is it that expensive. can't you use regular mail?

yesterday i saw one quantity available in amazon which does ship to jordan with reasonable rate.

if this is the case, do you have any other resellers or retailers whom I can try?

also does it come with a pouch\case or i must buy one separately?

Offline bte

« Reply #2035 on: March 27, 2024, 11:19:52 am »
Quote from: VEGETA
if this is the case, do you have any other resellers or retailers whom I can try?

You can buy it from here; he sends via post office:

https://simonselectronics.co.uk/product/121gw-multimeter-eevblog-with-probes/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 11:22:09 am by bte »

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2036 on: March 27, 2024, 09:07:21 pm »

You can buy it from here; he sends via post office:

https://simonselectronics.co.uk/product/121gw-multimeter-eevblog-with-probes/

good to know, will check it out.

however, i don't see the bag included nor available at that site.

Offline bte

« Reply #2037 on: March 28, 2024, 12:05:41 am »

good to know, will check it out.

however, i don't see the bag included nor available at that site.

I don't have the 121GW so I can't answer that part of the question. I purchased a BM235 from Simon for a similar reason: I wanted the package to be sent via regular mail, not DHL/Fedex etc because here they are a pain to deal with (a lot of bureaucracy that includes giving their employees power of attorney and they add a lot of fees --- with post office, no power of attorney is needed and only the customs tax need to be paid, which happens at the time of delivery).

Offline ToThePub

• Contributor
« Reply #2038 on: March 28, 2024, 12:46:00 am »
The bag for the 121GW is separate. If you want the bag you have to order it separately.
https://eevblog.store/products/bm235-121gw-case

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2039 on: March 28, 2024, 01:35:08 am »
The bag for the 121GW is separate. If you want the bag you have to order it separately.

i got that but i was asking about Simon's website. it does not list the bag.

Offline ToThePub

• Contributor
« Reply #2040 on: March 28, 2024, 01:40:50 am »
It doesn't list the bag, it's a separate item, I don't see why they would add it in for free.
Maybe email them directly to get an answer: sales@simonselectronics.co.uk

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2041 on: March 28, 2024, 05:28:32 am »
i got that but i was asking about Simon's website. it does not list the bag.

That's because he doesn't stock it amd has hasn't requested any from me.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2042 on: March 28, 2024, 05:30:11 am »
I don't have the 121GW so I can't answer that part of the question. I purchased a BM235 from Simon for a similar reason: I wanted the package to be sent via regular mail, not DHL/Fedex etc because here they are a pain to deal with (a lot of bureaucracy that includes giving their employees power of attorney and they add a lot of fees --- with post office, no power of attorney is needed and only the customs tax need to be paid, which happens at the time of delivery).

I also have a local postage shipping option. Goes via Sendle in Australia, but then I believe is handed to your local postage service.

Offline bte

« Reply #2043 on: March 28, 2024, 02:28:26 pm »

I also have a local postage shipping option. Goes via Sendle in Australia, but then I believe is handed to your local postage service.

Well, this was my experience from three years ago. To check what is available now, I tried to order BM235 from eevblog.store site. It looks like Turkey is not available as a destination anymore (see attached picture --- I also tried with my actual information but it did not make a difference). Maybe Turkey is beyond Zone 5. It would help to know on the checkout page if this was the case.

PS: I know that a lot of retailers no longer ship to Turkey if the item value is over 150 Euros (two years ago, the law was changed and personal import allowance was reduced from 1500 EUR to 150 EUR), but it should not be the case here since BM235 shows up as $113 in the cart.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2044 on: March 28, 2024, 10:52:06 pm »
It would be nice if Shopify could just remove the country from the list to make it obvious that they won't accept shipments there.

If you want to be a dick you can order via Ebay, where Dave has not restricted it yet. But I would not do that lol
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223244201244
"Excludes:
Afghanistan, Anguilla, Belarus, Bolivia, Botswana, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Libya, Madagascar, Moldova, Mongolia, North Korea, Reunion, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Suriname, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Syria, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Venezuela, Yemen"

Cost for me is about $37 to ship to Jordan via UPS. DHL is $68. But customs can be hell even if shipping cost is reasonable.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf