Author Topic: EEVBlog 121GW Multimeter Firmware Details  (Read 341324 times)

Offline darik

• Regular Contributor
Re: EEVBlog 121GW Multimeter Firmware Details
« Reply #250 on: March 16, 2019, 12:43:04 am »
What I'm looking to do is actually to be able to automate measurements.
I e be able to read data from the unit and possibly "press some buttons" from say a python program.
Maybe something like this can be done via bluetooth?

Depending on the precision you are looking for, you may be able to accomplish what you want with one of these hooked up to an Arduino with an SD card.

I've used the INA219 to log voltage, current, and burden voltage, worked great. Very easy to set up if you've done Arduino stuff before.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1164
https://www.adafruit.com/product/904

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline n3mmr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2019, 09:57:20 am »
Hacking (or modifying) the software can interfere with reliability as well.  I think the real point here is that you need to acquire something other than a hand held DVM.

Or:

Since there is a way to transfer data over bluetooth, maybe  I have no real.need for hacking either sw or hw...

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #252 on: April 25, 2019, 03:26:04 pm »
The current FW is still 1.58 beta, and has been for a long time.

To this moment, it seems to be stable and probably the best one delivered.
It does indeed look less beta than other versions.

Is there any plan to make it "gold"?
Is a new FW in the working?
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

The following users thanked this post: ELzekio

Offline btspce

• Contributor
« Reply #253 on: April 30, 2019, 06:34:24 pm »
I just bought the 121GW from Welectron here in Europe and it came with firmware 1.61 so the 1.58 is already "old"

Offline Roelof

« Reply #254 on: April 30, 2019, 06:42:02 pm »
Also, as has been mentioned before, the manual only has changelog information up to 1.51. Would it perhaps be possible to give us an update on the firmware status?

I do like my meter, but I'm very much looking forward to stable firmware with changelog information.

Offline Roelof

« Reply #255 on: April 30, 2019, 06:43:38 pm »
I just bought the 121GW from Welectron here in Europe and it came with firmware 1.61 so the 1.58 is already "old"

Oh, nice, let's hope the firmware shows up on the EEVblog site soon.

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #256 on: April 30, 2019, 09:15:11 pm »
On the SD card you should finde a file called EEVBlog.bin that you may upload here for us. This is the firmware file.

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #257 on: May 01, 2019, 12:01:55 am »
Interesting!
This firmware revision 1.61 is not available on Dave's website with the other firmware versions, latest on his site being 1.58.
I cannot find anything on the Github under EEVBlog.
Please attach a copy of firmware V1.61 if possible for the rest of us to try out.
Whats happened to the firmware list on EEVBlog website for the 121GW being updated as new revisions become available ?

Offline btspce

• Contributor
« Reply #258 on: May 01, 2019, 07:37:56 am »
Just checked the sd card and it is empty. Did they leave a copy of the firmware on the sd card earlier ?

@Dave what is the status on new firmwares? Why aren't the latest posted on the website (and the changelogs)?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:47:22 am by btspce »

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #259 on: May 03, 2019, 02:35:46 pm »
Still no response here and no update on the official firmware support page. Hope that product support is not already suspended  :--

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #260 on: May 03, 2019, 03:35:13 pm »
Guys, this thread is not about stock firmware, nor about support. This thread is about developing a new firmware. So, Dave is not supposed to answer. Sorry for misleading title (it started as reverse-engineering of stock firmware). Please ask in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-121gw-discussion-thread/ or https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-121gw-multimeter-issues/

Offline Alex Rodriguez

« Reply #261 on: June 04, 2019, 02:48:07 am »
Just download firmware 2.0, unzip it, move it to the microSD card,  but the meter keeps showing U-157,  I was expecting to see U-2.0
Never mind, I got it!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 02:52:57 am by Alex Rodriguez »

Offline ddrulez

« Reply #262 on: June 12, 2019, 02:23:40 pm »
I bought a new 121GW today and I have Firmware u-2.01 installed.
Just wanted to mention it.

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #263 on: June 12, 2019, 05:20:33 pm »
Is there a bin file called EEVBlog.bin on the internal microSD-Card?

Offline ddrulez

« Reply #264 on: June 12, 2019, 07:27:03 pm »
Sorry card is empty  :-\

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #265 on: June 24, 2019, 11:19:00 am »
I bought a new 121GW today and I have Firmware u-2.01 installed.

Any news about the new 2.01 firmware? Changelog?

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:26:08 pm by hammy »

Offline Perrin21

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #266 on: June 26, 2019, 05:13:05 pm »
who is writing the firmware for this device? is it Dave or the manufacturer? has anyone created a hacked FW?

Offline ggchab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #267 on: June 26, 2019, 06:45:45 pm »
The manufacturer. Dave has a copy of the source files but I don't think he will ever something with the code. I guess this is probably far too much work.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #268 on: June 27, 2019, 12:58:07 am »
The manufacturer.
Correct.

Dave has a copy of the source files
Does he?  I may have missed something, but I didn't think he did.  As I understand it, the manufacturer has some "secret sauce" code that they are not willing to share (which, even if frustrating, is completely understandable).

but I don't think he will ever something with the code. I guess this is probably far too much work.
Having the source code is only one part of the puzzle.  You need to have a compatible development environment that has been configured appropriately before you start.  Then you would need full details of every element of the hardware being controlled before even being able to code anything.  Add to that the experience required to write effective and efficient code for this type of environment as well as dealing with idiosyncrasies of the component parts and you have quite the challenge.

.... has anyone created a hacked FW?
We have had some enterprising souls hack the binary from earlier versions - but I think the latest official manufacturer version makes them obsolete.

Offline ggchab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #269 on: June 27, 2019, 07:14:24 am »
I don't remember if this was in a video or in the forum, but I am 95 percent sure Dave said he received a copy of the source files (with a non-disclosure agreement). Not that long ago. A few months, maybe.
Because of the work involved, I knew we would not see anything. Just fully understanding the existing code would probably already be a nightmare. So, UEI is not taking a big risk  ;)

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #270 on: June 27, 2019, 08:26:45 am »
I think too he mentioned he has sources.

I tried to write my own firmware, but failed due to underestimation of effort and lack of knowledge of stm32. I thought I'd write a basic firmware in a few evenings, but failed even to get LCD working :/. Then I realized that I don't know how to control the main IC, and its datasheet was uncomfortably big.... So, many things it seems need to be implemented from scratch, it's not like an arduino-style development when all it takes is just install libraries and bind them all together in main().

Offline e0ne199

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #271 on: July 11, 2019, 12:58:26 pm »
any info for new firmware?? 2.00 really is full of bugs anyway

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #272 on: July 11, 2019, 01:27:52 pm »
I think too he mentioned he has sources.

I tried to write my own firmware, but failed due to underestimation of effort and lack of knowledge of stm32. I thought I'd write a basic firmware in a few evenings, but failed even to get LCD working :/. Then I realized that I don't know how to control the main IC, and its datasheet was uncomfortably big.... So, many things it seems need to be implemented from scratch, it's not like an arduino-style development when all it takes is just install libraries and bind them all together in main().

There is a basic open firmware with "Hello World" example.

https://github.com/tpwrules/121gw-template

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline daveyk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #273 on: July 11, 2019, 04:37:50 pm »
"I just bought the 121GW from Welectron here in Europe and it came with firmware 1.61 so the 1.58 is already "old""

I just bought mine (June 2019) directly from Dave, and it is running 1.57 Firmware.  I find the resistance mode very sluggish.  Maybe new firmwar would fix that?  I need to locate firmware and then I guess go buy a micro-sd card.

Offline darik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #274 on: July 11, 2019, 07:31:55 pm »
"I just bought the 121GW from Welectron here in Europe and it came with firmware 1.61 so the 1.58 is already "old""

I just bought mine (June 2019) directly from Dave, and it is running 1.57 Firmware.  I find the resistance mode very sluggish.  Maybe new firmwar would fix that?  I need to locate firmware and then I guess go buy a micro-sd card.

2.0 is definitely faster autoranging in resistance mode. To get it, go here and click on "firmware": https://www.eevblog.com/product/121gw/.

I thought all the meters came with a micro-SD card. Or was that just the kickstarter? Anyhow, you should probably check and make sure there isn't already one in there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf