Author Topic: EEVblog 121GW Multimeter Issues  (Read 673623 times)

Offline Stonewatch

Re: EEVblog 121GW Multimeter Issues
« Reply #1100 on: December 15, 2019, 10:20:25 am »
With 400VAC 50Hz mains voltage, the output of the VFD can not be significantly above 400VAC. With the corner frequency of the VFD set to 50Hz at this frequency the output voltage should be close to the input.
The VFD option is lacking on the 121GW and the 1kHz lowpass filter is valueless for these kinds of signals. Both meters in the pictures attached, are 1 meter away from the VFD and connected in parallel.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 06:56:52 pm by Stonewatch »

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1101 on: December 15, 2019, 11:00:28 am »
You should look at that waveform with a scope , to see what "ugliness" is present there  ;D
121GW is good for measuring AC true-rms up to 100KHz and beyond , no doubts about that .

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1102 on: December 15, 2019, 02:05:09 pm »
The VFD output is very likely a mixture of different frequencies: the 50 Hz part and as it looks like some 4 KHz contribution. So the frequency readings can be both right (the frequency is present) and wrong (it is not a simple repetitive signal). For the RMS part one has to interpret it together with the bandwidth.  Different BW settings / meters can thus give different results as they measure different frequency bands.

Besides the signal, there can also be EMI issues near an VFD.

Offline Stonewatch

« Reply #1103 on: December 15, 2019, 07:08:29 pm »
IMO the 121GW provides a unique combination of features at a moderate price point, but after having seen Joe Smiths videos, and my personal experience (VFD), it is not designed to be used in a workshop or an industrial environment.

The following users thanked this post: ChrisG

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1104 on: December 15, 2019, 07:35:02 pm »
VFD measurements are dangerous and never connect a scope to one's output without a proper rated HV probe. It won't tell much anyhow.
400VAC gives about 700VDC bus voltage, which is modulated by the IGBT's for a 700Vpp square-wave phase-voltage. It's very hard for any test equipment to behave with that much AC.

To see if it's an interference problem, put the DMM on ACV manual range say 1000V, short the two input leads together and it should read around 0V. With the drive running, place both probes on ONE motor terminal (DMM should still read 0V). I have seen DMM's freak out, reboot or crash, or give silly readings during this test.

The DMM frequency reading is likely correct - the drive's PWM carrier frequency is programmable in F159 from 800-10,000Hz, it's the squeal you hear. This is not the motor speed or PWM fundamental i.e. giving 0.5-590Hz

Otherwise, maybe the 1kHz filter has some issues?

Offline Stonewatch

« Reply #1105 on: December 15, 2019, 08:00:02 pm »

To see if it's an interference problem, put the DMM on ACV manual range say 1000V, short the two input leads together and it should read around 0V. With the drive running, place both probes on ONE motor terminal (DMM should still read 0V). I have seen DMM's freak out, reboot or crash, or give silly readings during this test.

Thanks for the tip floobydust. I have just performed this test...121GW reads 0 even holding the instrument next to the VFD.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1106 on: December 15, 2019, 08:43:08 pm »
But with both DMM test probes touching one motor terminal when the drive is running?

Offline Stonewatch

« Reply #1107 on: December 15, 2019, 09:04:12 pm »
Yes Floobydust:  both tips on one terminal with the motor running, no EMI issue.

Maybe some future SW revision could add a function to facilitate correct VFD measuring as BM869 , BM235 and Fluke 28II can do it. The Fluke 175 however, dislays nearly the same incorrect values (10% too high) as the 121 does.

Offline e0ne199

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1108 on: December 24, 2019, 10:05:43 am »
any news about firmware update?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1109 on: December 26, 2019, 12:45:29 am »

I have a new version but I haven't tried it yet due to the holidays.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1110 on: December 26, 2019, 06:37:30 pm »

Release it as stable and tested!  :P :P :P

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1111 on: December 26, 2019, 08:15:04 pm »

Dave, does this mean you dont take your 121GW meter away with you on holidays ?
Shame on you  :-DMM :-DMM :-DMM
Enjoy the holiday break  :-+
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 08:17:33 pm by 1anX »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline npelov

• Frequent Contributor
    • Microlab.info
« Reply #1112 on: December 28, 2019, 05:58:33 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm back from the surgery - alive and kicking. I can see you've repeated the strange SD card logging problem - thanks joeqsmith. I noticed that the sample repeat frequency is about 60 samples. I would have guessed 64, but looking at this image it's more like exactly 60 (I didn't look at the csv data - just eyeballing it in two screnshots). So that's nice round number - maybe the developers can relate this number to the code.

Happy holidays!

The following users thanked this post: AlanS

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1113 on: December 28, 2019, 07:32:16 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm back from the surgery - alive and kicking. I can see you've repeated the strange SD card logging problem - thanks joeqsmith. I noticed that the sample repeat frequency is about 60 samples. I would have guessed 64, but looking at this image it's more like exactly 60 (I didn't look at the csv data - just eyeballing it in two screnshots). So that's nice round number - maybe the developers can relate this number to the code.

Happy holidays!
Good to have you back.  I did mention your findings in my last video.  If you need to get some sleep to help with your recovery, I suggest you watch it.   

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1114 on: December 29, 2019, 09:30:24 am »

Dave, does this mean you dont take your 121GW meter away with you on holidays ?
Shame on you  :-DMM :-DMM :-DMM
Enjoy the holiday break  :-+

I'm going away in a few days, so not sure when I'm going to have time to test this myself.
So might be best if I just attach it here and get feedback.
So consider this an internal not released try at your own risk if you dare firmware.
It fixes the resistance drift problem, i.e. 1M reading which slowly drifts down to the correct value over time, but only on the 2nd probing, it works fine after power-on and first measurement.

Also, time/date stamping has been added to the logging file.

The following users thanked this post: Dr. Frank, AlanS, 1anX, beanflying

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1115 on: December 29, 2019, 11:19:18 am »
Thank you, Dave.
The 1 MOhm range now works as intended, i.e. gives instantaneously a stable display on 2nd measurement.

The 600Vdc range, down ranging problem is not yet solved, i.e. it still down ranges at <= 49.9 V only.

Frank 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:23:49 am by Dr. Frank »

Offline e0ne199

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1116 on: December 30, 2019, 08:05:27 am »
Thank you, Dave.
The 1 MOhm range now works as intended, i.e. gives instantaneously a stable display on 2nd measurement.

The 600Vdc range, down ranging problem is not yet solved, i.e. it still down ranges at <= 49.9 V only.

Frank

how about logging? did you test that too?

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #1117 on: December 30, 2019, 08:59:52 am »
If your referring to the offing loop error in this thread, he didn’t mention that this firmware fixes it. This version just adds date and time stamp to the logs.
Joe, npelov, Dave and I spent a lot of time replicating this log error. I know I had a few days running logs for it.
As for me, I’m not looking to run that test again until Dave specifically states that issue was addressed in the firmware.
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1118 on: December 30, 2019, 03:27:37 pm »
If your referring to the offing loop error in this thread, he didn’t mention that this firmware fixes it. This version just adds date and time stamp to the logs.
Joe, npelov, Dave and I spent a lot of time replicating this log error. I know I had a few days running logs for it.
As for me, I’m not looking to run that test again until Dave specifically states that issue was addressed in the firmware.
I'm in the same boat.  There's also no mention of them correcting the auto range problems that prevent the meter from indicating a presence of high voltages.   I can't see spending any time retesting it and plan to pull the Duracells and box them up.   Maybe in another couple of years we can revisit what ever hardware they come up with.  I doubt we have seen the last of changes to the front end or that switch design.   Maybe they will get some proper lettering on the meter by then as well.   ANENG could help them out with that one. 

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1119 on: December 30, 2019, 06:32:20 pm »
So far I see no difference , probably they resolved just that weird issue with Mohm range ...
For resistance is just as slow and showing that first bad value in 50Mohm range ...

Offline LiftedTrace

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1120 on: January 02, 2020, 05:14:40 pm »
Edit: After browsing the other stickies, I see I may have posted this in the wrong section as this is not a meter issue that I know of. Probably should have been posted in the discussion section. Sorry about that.

Hi all, I just got this meter, not really needing it, but wanting to support eevblog and the fact its hack-able and encouraged.I havent used many settings on it yet, but I was trying to get the temperature of my hot end on my 3d printer. Seeing a large discrepancy, I wanted to find a way to see if the meter was off. I am almost positive the majority of the error is due to not a good thermal couple. Either way, I dont know how to really calibrate these and the only thing I could think of was boiling water.
I noticed it said my boiling point was exactly 97C. Im not up in the mountains, so shouldn't this be closer to 100C. Is there a way to offset it? Is boiling water not a true way to check an accurate temp?

Also when looking at a K type theralcouple chart, my ambient temp is 19C, shouldn't I be measuring .758mV? I measure -.085mV when trying to check what the thermalcoupler is outputting.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 06:07:06 pm by LiftedTrace »

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #1121 on: January 02, 2020, 06:06:38 pm »
Check polarity of the plug.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline LiftedTrace

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1122 on: January 02, 2020, 06:19:23 pm »
I tried the polarity. It only flips the sign, buts still a far cry away from.758mV.

Offline qft1967

• Contributor
« Reply #1123 on: January 04, 2020, 11:59:01 am »
A thermocouple doesn't measure the absolute temperature, but only the temperature difference. (Keyword: Cold junction compensation) So in your case you would measure the temperature difference to its internal temperature of 19°C. If everything is in equilibrium then you should see 0mV!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 07:27:04 pm by qft1967 »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #1124 on: January 04, 2020, 02:20:19 pm »
A thermocouple doesn't measure the absolute temperature, but only the temperature difference. (Keyword: Cold junction compensation) So in your case you would measure the temperature difference to its internal temperature of 19°C. If everything is in equilibrium that you should see 0mV!

This is not how thermocouples, or cold junction compensation works.

I suggest you read this as a primer.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf