Author Topic: EEVblog 121GW Multimeter Issues  (Read 669990 times)

Offline vk3zgw

• Contributor
Re: EEVblog 121GW Multimeter Issues
« Reply #650 on: September 02, 2018, 07:38:17 am »
Lost my posting for some reason, site bombed me out!

Just picked up my meter. v1.17

Tried to update to 1.26 and nothing happened. Followed the instructions as per page 70 of the latest manual. The meter just sat there showing 'down'. File on SD card is there and changed to EEVBlog.bin.

Tried to download 1.17, same result.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Geoff

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #651 on: September 02, 2018, 09:16:29 am »
Tried to update to 1.26 and nothing happened. Followed the instructions as per page 70 of the latest manual. The meter just sat there showing 'down'. File on SD card is there and changed to EEVBlog.bin.
Any suggestions?

Strange, first report of someone having issue with this.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #652 on: September 02, 2018, 10:45:38 am »

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Geoff

Does the meter write to the card if you start logging?

Alexander.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 03:28:59 pm by firewalker »
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline vk3zgw

• Contributor
« Reply #653 on: September 02, 2018, 12:21:18 pm »
Haven't tried to write from the meter. I'll give it a go in the morning.

Offline tpw_rules

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #654 on: September 02, 2018, 02:38:23 pm »
The 50 Mohm range uses 20nA reference current by its internal R9 = 10MOhm reference resistor, which causes a susceptibility to leakage currents (I will demonstrate that later). Maybe it's possible to increase the Vref (by firmware) from about 0.2V to 2V, to get 200nA test current, but probably that's not possible due to supply/reference voltage  limitation, as in total >4V would be required. See HY3131 Configuration document, page 31.

The 50 Ohm configuration also follows  the HY3131 document, see page 33, so R26 = 1k is used also for 50 Ohm, giving 470µA test current only, and a sensitivity of 470nV on the last digit, causing the noise trouble. The analog multiplex bus of the HY3131 is completely occupied, so it's not possible to add another 100 Ohm reference resistor for 5mA test current.

Frank

Can you remind me which Configuration Document you're referring to?

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #655 on: September 02, 2018, 03:08:01 pm »

Somebody recently posted the HY3131 configuration document, you have to look for it.

Frank

Offline dcac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #656 on: September 02, 2018, 03:40:05 pm »

Somebody recently posted the HY3131 configuration document, you have to look for it.

Frank

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-121gw-multimeter-issues/msg1733579/#msg1733579

Offline vk3zgw

• Contributor
« Reply #657 on: September 02, 2018, 11:24:39 pm »

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Geoff

Does the meter write to the card if you start logging?

Alexander.

Hi Alexander,

Data logged this morning ok. Viewed Excel file and all the data was there. Tried again to update with 1.26 and same result as meter stays showing "douun", bar graph remains at zero. Waited 10 mins, no change.

Geoff.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #658 on: September 02, 2018, 11:32:07 pm »
Tried again to update with 1.26 and same result as meter stays showing "douun", bar graph remains at zero. Waited 10 mins, no change.

And if you press the "SETUP" button while the meter is showing "douun", still nothing happens?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #659 on: September 03, 2018, 12:09:54 am »
What is the actual filename of the firmware file you put on the microSD card?

It is supposed to be EEVblog.bin as per the note on https://www.eevblog.com/product/121gw/  (click on the firmware link)

FIRMWARE

Note: When upgrading a multimeter the “.bin” file must be renamed “EEVBlog.bin”:

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline vk3zgw

• Contributor
« Reply #660 on: September 03, 2018, 05:39:06 am »
Brumby, you will see from my first post that I have changed the file name as required.

IanB, yep, just sits there.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:42:42 am by vk3zgw »

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #661 on: September 03, 2018, 05:43:23 am »
Brumby, you will see from my first post that I have changed the file name as required.
Have you tried with other versions other than 1.26?

Check upper/lower cases in the bin file, I think they need to match. Also BIN or bin? My meter takes the .CSV on upper cases which is a pain!

JS

If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Offline vk3zgw

• Contributor
« Reply #662 on: September 03, 2018, 06:54:55 am »
This is how the file change instruction in the manual has it. I think we might have heard by now if others were having this trouble. Appears its just me :-\

“EEVBlog.bin”

Tried another version, same thing. I can read/write to the SD card from the PC, and read from the meter but can't write to the meter.

Geoff

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #663 on: September 03, 2018, 07:08:29 am »
This is how the file change instruction in the manual has it. I think we might have heard by now if others were having this trouble. Appears its just me :-\

“EEVBlog.bin”

Tried another version, same thing. I can read/write to the SD card from the PC, and read from the meter but can't write to the meter.

Geoff
Yes, appears it's just you. If you want to fix it yourself the bootloader is in the reverse engineering docs so you can write it with a st-link. Before doing so try writing your cal data to the sd file and decode it with the phyton routing that's there as well, to checl it makes sense. Then take what's in the stm with the st-link, save it and then write the new bootloader to it, then try installing the new firmware with the SD again. Looks like it's that or shipping it back for a fix at Dave's HQ.

JS

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #664 on: September 03, 2018, 07:36:55 am »

Oooof.  Sorry.   :palm:

Offline vk3zgw

• Contributor
« Reply #665 on: September 03, 2018, 07:45:08 am »
Thanks JS but I'll wait and see what Dave comes back with as I registered the issue on the web site's "Report an Issue".

Geoff

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #666 on: September 03, 2018, 08:00:08 am »
Thanks JS but I'll wait and see what Dave comes back with as I registered the issue on the web site's "Report an Issue".

Geoff
That's fine, I think he's aware of your case, he answered your first post on this IIRC... I'm just saying something that might solve your issue, and what reaources there are to do so, in case he gives you green light to poke with it.

JS

Offline vk3zgw

• Contributor
« Reply #667 on: September 04, 2018, 10:13:09 am »

Geoff

OK...so my bad!! This is the text from the web site;

Note: When upgrading a multimeter the “.bin” file must be renamed “EEVBlog.bin”:

So being a literal being, that's exactly what I did already knowing it was a bin file, I assumed the program looked at the "name" wanting to see a .bin. So I had in effect EEVBlog.bin.bin. The penny dropped when I saw Dave's email from EEVBlog with a included file to try. Now I have v1.26.

Sorry all for the distraction. I'll now email Dave and apologies  :palm:

Geoff

The following users thanked this post: Kean, 1anX

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #668 on: September 04, 2018, 01:16:23 pm »
I think I can withdraw my apology..........

Oooof.  Sorry.   :palm:

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #669 on: September 04, 2018, 09:11:10 pm »
So being a literal being, that's exactly what I did already knowing it was a bin file, I assumed the program looked at the "name" wanting to see a .bin. So I had in effect EEVBlog.bin.bin. The penny dropped when I saw Dave's email from EEVBlog with a included file to try. Now I have v1.26.

Geoff

Dont worry be happy! I did something similar but got pointed in the right direction by all the good people who read the 121GW threads.
Guaranty we wont make that mistake ever again  :)

Offline Seppy

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #670 on: September 05, 2018, 01:38:26 am »

Geoff

OK...so my bad!! This is the text from the web site;

Geoff

*David's email (me)

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #671 on: September 08, 2018, 09:07:56 pm »
Hi, new one, I've seen some comments on this but now I'm aeeing it on my meter. On the low ohms range sometimes it just measures zero when you short the leads, or a low resistance path, sometimes as expected I need to zero out the leads and it's left with a few counts and sometimes it is left with a few tens of counts left.

Turning it off and on again changes this, in which of the states it is at.

Have you seen this? Do you know something about that?

JS

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #672 on: September 09, 2018, 09:14:57 pm »
On this 600V meter, the latest version of the manual August 30, 2018, still confusingly specifies AC and DC VA as 500VA without mentioning its limited to 50V for whatever reason :(

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #673 on: September 10, 2018, 08:42:25 am »
On this 600V meter, the latest version of the manual August 30, 2018, still confusingly specifies AC and DC VA as 500VA without mentioning its limited to 50V for whatever reason :(
I don't understand that limitation, everything is in the meter to measure higher voltages and that's all that should be required. I guess I'm missing something but measuring VA directly on mains would be nice.

JS

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #674 on: September 10, 2018, 09:41:11 pm »
Agree with that , this could be usefull sometime for DC ( ex. power supply ) and AC ( mains , power amplifiers ) . 10A x 500V .  For minuscule VA ranges i can't think of any practical usage ... I remember reading somewhere that David said that is not enough "room " in the micro for all ranges and in this case some lower ranges must disappear .
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:43:35 pm by CDaniel »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf