Author Topic: EEVblog HVP70 Differential Probe  (Read 78355 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: EEVblog HVP70 Differential Probe
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2017, 03:31:41 am »
Yeah, DHL's tracking is kind of screwy. I later found that if you click on the NZ Post tracking number, you get more detail on their tracking page.

Please be aware that this is NOT the DHL courier service with courier level tracking. It is DHL Global Mail service which hands off to various other local postal carriers.
You don't always get end-end delivery notice or precise location or status tracking.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2017, 03:04:00 pm »
Thanks, Dave. I haven't received an item via DHL Global Mail before.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2017, 10:24:16 pm »
Yeah, DHL's tracking is kind of screwy. I later found that if you click on the NZ Post tracking number, you get more detail on their tracking page.

Please be aware that this is NOT the DHL courier service with courier level tracking. It is DHL Global Mail service which hands off to various other local postal carriers.
You don't always get end-end delivery notice or precise location or status tracking.

thanks for using this service, I think this is the best way. I was a bit scared at first thinking that dhl was going to know on my door, but luckily it's the local postal service instead.
dhl, ups, fedex, etc, is just a mess when delivering to home addresses, and even worse if I get them to deliver to my company/work address, since then, my company will receive the tax bills..

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2017, 11:13:19 pm »

thanks for using this service, I think this is the best way. I was a bit scared at first thinking that dhl was going to know on my door, but luckily it's the local postal service instead.
dhl, ups, fedex, etc, is just a mess when delivering to home addresses, and even worse if I get them to deliver to my company/work address, since then, my company will receive the tax bills..
DHL and custom clearance give me the creeps.
Their local office for customs handling here is probably the last to go to if you need something off the customs. I've even heard from other people stories where they would go into the customs procedure w/o an authorization from the recipient (they need to ask you who do you want to handle the clearance) and then charge you nicely for the services (a friend recently refused to accept a package as they wanted to charge 30eur for services only, for something that was also in that price range). And they would ask you for documents no other forwarder would ask, under the justification that the Customs needs it.

Transport wise they are great, but if I have anything that might catch the customs officer's eye I don't want them.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2017, 11:31:37 pm »
Their local office for customs handling here is probably the last to go to if you need something off the customs.

Unfortunately I ship to over 150 countries, and each one has their own customs requirements.
Its is literally impossible to find a service that works well in every country.

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2017, 11:37:18 pm »
Their local office for customs handling here is probably the last to go to if you need something off the customs.

Unfortunately I ship to over 150 countries, and each one has their own customs requirements.
I know, just stating the situation here.
Many use local delivery companies as partners in many smaller markets, so there is no way of having a good choice that fits all.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2017, 06:24:59 am »

Their local office for customs handling here is probably the last to go to if you need something off the customs. I've even heard from other people stories where they would go into the customs procedure w/o an authorization from the recipient (they need to ask you who do you want to handle the clearance) and then charge you nicely for the services (a friend recently refused to accept a package as they wanted to charge 30eur for services only, for something that was also in that price range). And they would ask you for documents no other forwarder would ask, under the justification that the Customs needs it.

Transport wise they are great, but if I have anything that might catch the customs officer's eye I don't want them.

Yes, but this way, for me atleast, it's the postalsystem that handles the customs etc, not dhl, since the package is handed over to the postalsystem from Germany to Norway.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2017, 07:07:50 am »
Tension is increasing  :D ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2017, 08:56:14 am »

Standard parcel post Dave, as you used before.

DHL, UPS etc in recent times are not worth the hassle, with their extra charges, paperwork and excess taxes etc.  If the sender does not put 3 copies if a fully itemised invoice on the outside they will make up values.

Even the likes of TI cannot manage paperwork to their exacting requirements from the States, so you end up jumping through hoops to get a 30 dollar dev board delivered.  Actually in that case I just ignored them, as I was on holidays in Melbourne for a few weeks, but they were ringing the office looking for me and send me emails galore looking for our import agents details!  I think they miss read the invoice and thought it was worth 30k.

I the end I arrived back from Holidays and found the package delivered, and no charge has arrived,  yet.

BTW If it comes from China, they make up values/charges anyway.

Another of their tricks for items with free or no itemised delivery charge, is to charge tax on the cost of returning the package to the country of origin, using their express local rates.  I got caught out on that one last year on a cheap replacement PSU from China with free courier (FedEx I  think it was in this case) delivery.  The whole lot cost from memory about $45 for two of them delivered.   They valued the delivery at well over €100. They claim they have to do this by law...

But chances are an item by standard post will just sail in and be delivered FOC by the local postie. Who might on a bad day look for vat, based on the declared value.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:00:13 am by Towger »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2017, 10:37:57 am »

Standard parcel post Dave, as you used before.

Which had basically no tracking at all, cost more, was more hassle to send, and almost always got stuck in customs in a handful of countries like Germany.
At one point I had to totally stop shipping to Germany using Australia post.

DHL Global mail is much better in every respect.

DHL, UPS etc in recent times are not worth the hassle, with their extra charges, paperwork and excess taxes etc.

DHL Global Mail is NOT like regular DHL courier.
And I can assure you it is far less hassle, is lower in cost, and has less paperwork.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 10:39:37 am by EEVblog »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2017, 10:47:12 am »
DHL, UPS etc in recent times are not worth the hassle, with their extra charges, paperwork and excess taxes etc.

DHL Global Mail is NOT like regular DHL courier.
And I can assure you it is far less hassle, is lower in cost, and has less paperwork.

I really don't see the problem, the way you shipped these was the best for me atleast, I don't need to worry about DHL or other couriers, the postalservice delivered the package, so I just need to go to the postaloffice now and pay my tax and get the package.
No paperwork, no excess taxes or stupid fees.

Can't wait to get home to pick it up.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2017, 06:07:18 pm »
NZ Post's tracking stopped on April 26 when it arrived in Los Angeles. I couldn't find any reference for tracking upon handoff to USPS. So, I guess DHL doesn't update for the final leg. Hopefully, it isn't stuck in customs. I'll give it a couple more days.

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2017, 06:38:27 pm »
Got mine after only three days of tracking silence in the UK.   And they forgot to charge VAT, which saved me the UK Royal Mail handling charge too.  Can't be bad.  (This isn't unique, Royal Mail forget to do customs processing about one parcel in ten in my experience - just have to hope it's the expensive ones.)

Edit:   I just got a plumbing part from the US by the same DHL system.  With this, DHL never tracked it at all, and denied the existence of the tracking number, but I still got it in fourteen days.  So I'm relatively pleased with DHL at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:42:41 pm by rch »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2017, 07:28:15 pm »
Mine got tracking info like this:

http://webtrack.dhlglobalmail.com/?trackingnumber=AUBCN000913056

Got silent the morning 26. april, but the right hand side got updated with new trackingnumber: RX569451927DE wich is the local post, and I got update yesterday
https://sporing.posten.no/sporing.html?q=RX569451927DE&lang=en
and picked it today.
So I think the dhl global mail tracks through dhl from australia to the last sorting hub where it's handed over to the local postal service, so I would guess you would find local trackingnumber on the page like I did.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2017, 07:41:29 pm »
I was expecting the DHL tracking page to replace the NZ Post tracking number/link with one for USPS (or append it), but that hasn't happened. Since these have already been delivered to Colorado and Florida, I'm a bit worried as I'm in California, i.e., the same state it arrived in on April 26. :-// But it could just show up any day now.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2017, 08:04:56 pm »
Mine got tracking info like this:

http://webtrack.dhlglobalmail.com/?trackingnumber=AUBCN000913056

Got silent the morning 26. april, but the right hand side got updated with new trackingnumber: RX569451927DE wich is the local post, and I got update yesterday
https://sporing.posten.no/sporing.html?q=RX569451927DE&lang=en
and picked it today.
So I think the dhl global mail tracks through dhl from australia to the last sorting hub where it's handed over to the local postal service, so I would guess you would find local trackingnumber on the page like I did.

How much did they charge you in VAT and customs handling fee? (25% + 140 NOK?)

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2017, 08:13:01 pm »
yes, 160NOK in vat, and 153NOK in fee, not bad :)

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2017, 08:14:05 pm »
I was expecting the DHL tracking page to replace the NZ Post tracking number/link with one for USPS (or append it), but that hasn't happened. Since these have already been delivered to Colorado and Florida, I'm a bit worried as I'm in California, i.e., the same state it arrived in on April 26. :-// But it could just show up any day now.

I think every country's postal service is different.  Certainly the Royal Mail service in the UK that DHL hands over to is *not* a tracked service.   A tracked service would cost about half of the total money Dave charges for the DHL service so DHL are not likely to pay it.  So there was no tracking number issued for my local postal service  and DHL just tracked the parcel onto the international plane.

Offline JonM

• Supporter
« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2017, 08:53:52 pm »

My HVP-70 also passed through LA on April 26. There was no tracking handoff to USPS by either DHL or NZ Post, however I am happy to announce that it arrived today in Central Virginia.

Soon I will be looking at my mains voltage with Ethernet over powerline signals, then probing various audio amplifiers to see how the noise propagates through one with a big toroidal transformer, but not through cheaper amps... It will be nice to do this in a worry free manner(at least in terms of not blowing up the scope with a slip of a probe).

Offline kilobyte

• Regular Contributor
    • My Website
« Reply #144 on: May 03, 2017, 09:22:04 pm »
According to the Tracking Code mine has now arrived at the local customs. :)
So in a couple of days I should get a letter that says it's ready to pick it up. :D

Offline oewean

• Contributor
    • Adroit.no
« Reply #145 on: May 03, 2017, 11:43:15 pm »
Is it the Sapphire SI-9071?
Sapphire has top notch products  :-+
Norwegian distributor of test and measurement equipment....
Adroit.no

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2017, 05:26:47 pm »
Probe finally arrived. Slowly, but surely. :phew:

Thanks, Dave!

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2017, 07:10:05 pm »
Another one arrived in North Carolina today.  In case anyone has not mentioned it, the NZ Post code works in the USPS tracking system.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2017, 07:22:18 pm »
I didn't know that. Sure enough, all the tracking is in there. Thanks, ModemHead.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2017, 07:22:13 am »
Mine was transferred from DHL to NZ Post in Auckland this morning and now appears to be on some airline flight, hopefully to the US. I guess that some system determined that to be a good route rather than having DHL transport it to the US.

DHL Global Mail from Australia use Air NZ flights I believe.

Pointing out the obvious but Air NZ != NZ Post.

DHL must be routing packages out into the postal system through NZ for some reason??

Another one arrived in North Carolina today.  In case anyone has not mentioned it, the NZ Post code works in the USPS tracking system.

This is standard procedure when I import non courier packages. I go to the source country postal tracking service first to track the package within the country of origin. That will normally show when the package leaves the source country.
Then go to the nzpost tracking service and track it to delivery at my house.
In both cases I use the tracking number provided by the sender of the package.

The following users thanked this post: ruairi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf