Author Topic: Ebay DSOX sellers - what's up with this?  (Read 795 times)

Offline EE-diggerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Ebay DSOX sellers - what's up with this?
« on: February 25, 2024, 04:28:41 pm »
As if good scopes are not difficult to find to begin with, a search for DSOX series scopes will return a dozen or more Chinese firms selling a 100MHz model for over $8000.  What's up with that?  Are the boxes full of "something else".

Ebay is no help as you can't globally block a seller, only by a specific search result.

added - thought I'd get smart and block by price so set it to < $5000.  No scopes found at all :)  And you can block to restrict the region which helps a lot.  The problem is that most 3000T series at a realistic price have been beamed off the planet it seems.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 04:51:41 pm by EE-digger »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: Ebay DSOX sellers - what's up with this?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 05:33:53 pm »
We have unrealistic asking prices in Germany as well for scopes.

I just saw one this morning, asking Euro 8000 for a 10 year old Agilent 350 MHz scope.  :-//
A few years ago, I had a tough time, selling a 2 year old 1 GHz  scope for Euro 5000

It seems that times are changing somehow.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: eplpwr

Offline cosmicray

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 06:09:38 pm »
Some of your search results may be filtered by eBay. Look for a click link that says something about eBay removed some results, do you want to see everything. Then click on US only. I'm seeing some more reasonable priced hits, but primarily 70 mhz and 100 mhz.
it's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious - R. Rabbit

Offline eplpwr

• Regular Contributor
  • Junior VoltNut
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 06:21:52 pm »
There must be some hidden incentives at play. The chinese sellers never get a sale, but keeps relisting for years at used prices that are 2-3x what is costs to buy new. Are there "bonuses" for having many listings? It is simply not logical to list something at twice the price to buy it new, and then - sloppily - show a generic warehouse picture with cardboard boxes.

Sadly, the listing prices affects other (nominally sane) sellers that then starts to ask for fantasy prices as well, not checking the "sold items" checkbox when getting a price indication.

eBay of today is a swamp. At a minimum, eBay should allow buyers to have permanent exclude lists.

A new "feature" is allowing sellers the option to send "offers" to those that have an item on their watchlist - many use this opportunity to offer a 3% discount, and do not allow for counteroffers. Pure harassment.

Offline EE-diggerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 06:32:28 pm »
There must be some hidden incentives at play. The chinese sellers never get a sale, but keeps relisting for years at used prices that are 2-3x what is costs to buy new. Are there "bonuses" for having many listings? It is simply not logical to list something at twice the price to buy it new, and then - sloppily - show a generic warehouse picture with cardboard boxes.

Sadly, the listing prices affects other (nominally sane) sellers that then starts to ask for fantasy prices as well, not checking the "sold items" checkbox when getting a price indication.

eBay of today is a swamp. At a minimum, eBay should allow buyers to have permanent exclude lists.

A new "feature" is allowing sellers the option to send "offers" to those that have an item on their watchlist - many use this opportunity to offer a 3% discount, and do not allow for counteroffers. Pure harassment.

I'll second a permanent exclude list.  There are some quality brokers that use the listing to show items, probably more for existing customers.  Sort of like a Harbor Freight flyer tucked into your newspaper (if you remember those).

If you lower a price, I think that watchers may be informed.  If nothing else, it's a "keep alive".

What ebay buyers want is a top notch product at give away price.  If you list a MSOX3104T for $5000, it will be gone by midnight.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 06:35:37 pm by EE-digger »

Offline Hexley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 05:53:28 am »
As if good scopes are not difficult to find to begin with, a search for DSOX series scopes will return a dozen or more Chinese firms selling a 100MHz model for over $8000...

The problem is that most 3000T series at a realistic price have been beamed off the planet it seems.
I happened to be looking for a used scope for a friend, and ran across a listing on eBay for DSO-X 3012As for $650, shipped. https://www.ebay.com/itm/305262352262
If you are open to a non-touch-screen model, that might be worth a look at that price.

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 03:55:12 am »
I happened to be looking for a used scope for a friend, and ran across a listing on eBay for DSO-X 3012As for $650, shipped. https://www.ebay.com/itm/305262352262
If you are open to a non-touch-screen model, that might be worth a look at that price.
Interesting, looks like they are claiming to have 20 of these in stock.

Once fully liberated, you'll have a great deal for the money, despite the platform being a bit old, all things considered.

You can DIY the digital connector relatively easily, or there are kits on eBay.

The 3000 series function gen adds an interesting feature where you can directly capture a waveform from the scope and play it back from the AWG.

Two channel may trigger some people, but whether this is an issue will depend on individual use.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 07:18:53 am »
I happened to be looking for a used scope for a friend, and ran across a listing on eBay for DSO-X 3012As for $650, shipped.https://www.ebay.com/itm/305262352262 If you are open to a non-touch-screen model, that might be worth a look at that price.
Interesting, looks like they are claiming to have 20 of these in stock.
Pretty believable for an education lab refurb. I laughed at the suggested items eBay showed me from that listing, a 2000 series not working $1200. ha ha ha ha

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf