Author Topic: Electronic Loads - B&K Precision 8500b vs. GW Instek PEL-3031E  (Read 2371 times)

Offline p4rsleyTopic starter

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to get a nice general purpose electronic load. The two I'm considering that are exactly in my power range (~300W) are:

1. B&K Precision 8500b: https://www.bkprecision.com/products/dc-electronic-loads/8500B-8500b-300-w-programmable-dc-electronic-load.html

2. GW Instek PEL-3031E: https://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/products/detail/PEL-3000

Note this above GW Instek product page doesn't actually even list the PEL-3031E, so here's a link to the product manual..
https://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/products/downloadSeriesDownNew/8781/610

Both have battery test features, and are almost identical in their power capabilities. I've used B&K e-loads, power supplies, and multimeters sooo many times in the past - so I'm leaning towards the 8500b.

I do like the nice big display of the PEL-3031E, and the fact that it has a USB interface

However, the B&K Precision also comes w a serial-to-USB dongle, and has a downloadable GUI to control many features (so you can make nice plots and access features that are otherwise annoying to navigate on their small simple display).
Actually side note.. I just downloaded their GUI and it's relatively primitive - and looks like it was transported from the 90s (so that's a bit disappointing).

What do you think? Does anyone have any recommendations or "watch out for xyz" from their experience between these e-loads, or just B&K versus GW Instek in general? Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your input and help :)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Electronic Loads - B&K Precision 8500b vs. GW Instek PEL-3031E
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 02:30:13 am »
Have a look at the $ 499 SDL1020X-E that BTW can be improved to SDL1030X and in particular its EasySDL SW utility.
I had a bash around it a few days ago and it seems very powerful and well featured. It's a ~20MB download from here:
https://siglentna.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/dc-electronic-load/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: p4rsley

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 03:47:47 am »
Thank you, tautech for the great suggestion!

The SDL1030X looks like a beast - it's like a cross between the B&K 8500B and the GW Instek PEL-3031E. But generally all 3 seem to have almost identical specs (in terms of V, I, and P ranges, resolution, etc)

What's your experience w Siglent equipment quality? I'm not too familiar w the quality of Siglent and GW Instek. I know B&K makes excellent test equipment, so I'm also curious why they're priced the same as 8500B - when both PEL-3031E and SDL1030X seem to have superb interfaces and displays (so would think they'd be more expensive.. so it feels like there's a catch).

Even their overall dimensions and weight are very similar..

B&K Precision 8500B
8.5 in x 3.5 in x 14 in // 10.3 lbs

GW Instek PEL-3031E
8.42 x 4.88 x 15.77 in // 16.5 lbs

Siglent SDL1030X
10 × 4.5 × 16.14 in // 14 lbs

Btw I just installed the SDL1030X SW utility and it looks pretty simple and easy to use. So compared to B&K Precision's SW utility (which actually required downloading LabView!!!), both Siglent and GW Instek are miles ahead.

Need to do a little more research, but the SDL1030X might be at the top of my list now :D

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 04:03:00 am »
EasySDL does also require NIVISA for the connectivity drivers and this is outlined in the install guide.
LabVIEW drivers are also available for SDL1000X models.

Explore it some as there are many non obvious features in drop down and other menus.

8 years of selling Siglent has proven their products of good quality and warranty claims are rare.
BTW, some BK Precision products and made by Siglent.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 04:04:41 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 05:24:10 am »
However, the B&K Precision also comes w a serial-to-USB dongle, and has a downloadable GUI to control many features (so you can make nice plots and access features that are otherwise annoying to navigate on their small simple display).
Actually side note.. I just downloaded their GUI and it's relatively primitive - and looks like it was transported from the 90s (so that's a bit disappointing).

For B&K you can also use software, it can control and log many devices simultaneous.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 09:06:05 am »
I know B&K makes excellent test equipment, so I'm also curious why they're priced the same as 8500B

BK Precision don't seem to make many of their own products, mostly just re-badging stuff from other suppliers like ITECH, Tonghui, Siglent, ...

In the case of the 8500 series load, the OEM is ITECH.  https://www.itech.sh/en/product/dc-electronic-load/IT8500plus.html

The BK branded devices are more readily available in the western markets, but they are available cheaper under other brands if you look around.  As this is an older design, there are also a lot of clones both good and bad.  There is also various alternative control software that can talk to an 8500 like that from EEVblog members HKJ and toli.

I don't own any Siglent gear * partly because early on it wasn't that great, and partly because I just don't like the styling.  I have a pretty good TE collection these days, but I would certainly consider Siglent if buying again as there is good community support around it now.

* Well I do have a BK 2190E, which I believe is a re-badged Siglent SDS1152CML.  I only got that because it seemed like a cheap option at the time to add a scope to a extra workbench, but it turned out not to be worth the money I paid for it.  That was my fault for not doing enough research as I was in a hurry at the time to get something.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 09:11:59 am by Kean »

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 11:16:19 am »
Hi,

I very recently bought two RND320 KEL103 for my colleague and me.
RND is Distrelec´s house brand and the RND320 KEL103 is a relabeled Korad KEL103.
Distrelec offers this 300W electronic load for a discount at the moment, 245€ (ex. VAT).
It features a battery mode also, and it works with the TestController logging software besides its own software.
Might be a less costy alternative.
I discuss it on my website.

regards
Calvin
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:27:07 am by Calvin »
..... it builds character!

Online Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 11:27:09 am »
I think Newark has it's own rebrand of the KEL103 under Multicomp (Pro) if you want something in the States.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 04:36:58 am »
Thank you everyone, for your feedback and the info in your responses. Some really great test equipment suggestions - many which I've never even heard of.

Btw, @Kean.. I had no idea the BK Precision re-badges from other suppliers. Looking at the 8500B, it looks basically the same as the ITECH IT8500+ ..that's really interesting (and slightly disappointing), but overall good to know. So thank you for the heads up :)

I was actually reading about the Rigol DL3031A: https://www.rigolna.com/products/dc-power-loads/dl3000/
(Although I'd probably order it from Test Equity: https://www.testequity.com/category/Power-Supplies/Electronic-Load/Single-Input-Electronic-Load/31566-1-DL3031A)

This seems to have the best of all worlds: great SW control interface (with USB connection), many load cycling profile options, all the classic front panel shortcuts you see on the BK Precision 8500B (including the extremely useful thumbwheel rotary selection knob!), it's even slightly higher power (350W instead of 300W), same or better voltage and current resolution as the others, and has a really nice crisp display.

Although I do really like the banana plug option on the BK Precision (and ITECH) 8500.. would be nice to get these screw knobs/plugs with banana plugs as an accessory for other similar units

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 08:47:32 am »
just a quick note:
I am using a Maynuo 9712 (150V, 30A, 300W) and I am totally satisfied (though you need to get used to the menus/settings first).
Some unproven heresay: "the Maynuo devices are developed and build by one guy which then set up the company Maynuo. Similar devices of BK, Itech etc. are all similar copies of his original development."

I do not have experience with the loads from Rigol and Siglent etc., however whenever I read some comparisons, these modern designs with color display always lost. I am sure searching here will on EEVBLOG will bring up several threads with these comparisons, it will be worth to read them. Though I do not know if the companies did polish their designs in the meantime.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf