Products > Test Equipment

Elix M266 teardown

(1/1)

ResR:
This multimeter was given for work use from the employer. M266 manufactured by Elix (?) . It supposed to be in comply with IEC1010 but I seriously doubt it is. Okay the battery compartment is easy access at the back panel with only one screw with metal thread (only plus side), but first of all no fuse while being rated for 750VAC/1000VDC?  :scared: The main fuse at my work place is 1kA (1000A) on 3 phase of 230/400V 50Hz.  It evaporates my hand if it pops with those currents. Also it is bats--t slow and occasionally gets stuck without reading. I didn't get the pcb out because the split terminals (ugh) melted into plastic while it was soldered onto pcb and I didn't risk breaking it yet.

SeanB:
I have the same ( or a clone cousin) that is remarkably similar. I only use it to check current on mains, never for actual voltage measurement itself, I have meters that are not going to evaporate when doing that. As a clamp meter it is not that bad, though you only really have 1 range, 200A. Continuity is poor, voltage is basically " might be not zero", and have never seen the "external unit" for high resistance checking. Hold does work, though if you leave it in hold long it will destroy the LCD, as this implements hold by stopping the ICL7106 COB clock, driving the LCD with DC which will kill it over time. It is a better than guess meter, but not really a mains rated unit.

Drop test it off a ladder or off the side of a building onto concrete, or place on a railway line. Then say " Dunno, it just broke" ;)

I replaced it with an Iso Tech ICM-A9, a lot better, and me proof, as it only has one button, autoselecting between current, continuity and voltage.

ResR:

--- Quote from: SeanB on April 01, 2013, 06:31:04 pm ---...though if you leave it in hold long it will destroy the LCD...
Drop test it off a ladder or off the side of a building onto concrete, or place on a railway line. Then say " Dunno, it just broke" ;)

--- End quote ---
Lot's of good ideas to implement  >:D Thanks._

retiredcaps:

--- Quote from: ResR on April 01, 2013, 07:55:44 pm ---
--- Quote from: SeanB on April 01, 2013, 06:31:04 pm ---...though if you leave it in hold long it will destroy the LCD...

--- End quote ---
Lot's of good ideas to implement  >:D Thanks._

--- End quote ---
It may not matter.  With it selling for less than $20 USD + free shipping, there are literally > 10,000 unit available on ebay (from one seller) so you may get a new replacement?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350589344031

SeanB:
 Ohms range does not pass the mains test............, if you switch " accidentally" through those high resistance ranges with the probe in that otherwise unused hole it is actually connected direct to the 7106 COB input.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version