Author Topic: Elpan EG-20 linear sweep generator confusion  (Read 313 times)

Offline bborisov567Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Elpan EG-20 linear sweep generator confusion
« on: March 26, 2024, 10:33:28 am »
Hello, i have some questions about a generator. I have this Elpan EG-20 linear sweep generator. My goal is to use it to generate a frequency sweep (chirp). Unfortunately i can't find any information, manual or schematic about it on the internet. So far i was able to generate only a sawtooth waveform with a low frequency. I am not sure why there is a separate BNC connector for amplitude. The second connector seems to be the output - the sawtooth waveform is present there. And the third one looks to be an external trigger input?
Also what is the purpose of the two potetiometers on the far right labeled "Wrong adjust"? Could somebody shed some light about this generator?

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: Elpan EG-20 linear sweep generator confusion
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 11:57:35 am »
As the name of the instrument suggests, it can generate sweeps -- i.e. the sawtooth (ramp) function you see. It cannot (on its own) frequency-modulate a higher frequency carrier wave with that ramp signal. If you have a separate signal generator with an external modulation input, you could modulate that device with the output from your sweep generator.

I don't know what the two potentiometers on the right control. But the label "Wrong Adjust" does not seem to refer to the potentiometers directly, but to an indicator LED next to the label?

Offline bborisov567Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 01:29:06 pm »
Also what is the difference between the "triangular waveform" and the "rising edge" mode. On the second there is nothing on the output.
"Wrong adjust" seems to be for the LED indeed. The "Uh -5" labels have to for the potentiometers. I guess they adjust some voltage?

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 01:47:58 pm »
Also what is the difference between the "triangular waveform" and the "rising edge" mode. On the second there is nothing on the output.

I don't have or know that specific generator, so I can just offer educated guesses:

The triangular waveform must select regular ramp mode, with the slew rate adjusted by the potentiometer, in a range selected by the set of V/s range buttons. I would expect that there is also a way to change between sawtooth signals, with either rising or falling slope, or symmetrical triangular signals. Maybe the two pots on the far right can adjust the rising vs. falling slope?

The step function is less clear to me. A pure square wave output does not seem to make much sense in a "sweep generator". Seeing that the front panel also talks about "staircase trigger", maybe there is a mode where the ramp is not smmooth but increases in discrete steps, and you adjust the step height instead of the slew rate? [Edit: This mode may need the "staircase trigger" to do anything? Have you tried feeding a signal to that BNC, or pushing the "manual" button there?]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 01:57:04 pm by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: bborisov567

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf