Author Topic: Timeout Error when Reading Measurements from Impedance Analyzer 1260 via NIMax  (Read 228 times)

Offline Abdul.mTopic starter

Hi,

I'm working with a Solartron A1260 Impedance/Gain-Phase Analyzer and attempting to read measurements on the NI MAX interface connected through a PCI bus. The analyzer itself is functioning correctly and can receive "Write" commands, as you can see the measurements on blue screen, but when I try to "Read" these measurements using NI MAX, I encounter a timeout error, as illustrated in the attached screenshot. Thee only command I can read is `*IDN? `. but my goal is to "Read" that simple measurement data of impedance analyzer on NI MAX interface.

I have tried adjusting the timeout/Bytes settings and reviewing the connection, but the issue persists. It seems like the main challenge is that I'm not sure about the correct commands to read the measurement data.

Here are the details of my setup:
- Device Model: Solartron 1260 Impedance/Gain-Phase Analyzer
- Connection: Interface through PCIB
- Software: NI MAX
- Issue: Timeout error EABO during GPIB read operation
- Troubleshooting Steps: Adjusted timeout settings, adjusted bytes, changed addresses, checked GPIB command syntax, changed GPIB.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on the proper GPIB commands for reading measurements from a Solartron 1260 or any troubleshooting steps that might resolve this timeout error.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
I have not used the GPIB interface, however, if I remember correctly (and it was 20+ years ago) using the RS232 inteface requires a significant time-delay before the answers are returned from the 1260, i.e. the time-out value must allow sufficient time for the 1260 to start making the requested measurement and time to complete the measurement - which can be seconds, even at the higher frequencies.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Have you tried different termination characters on both the controller and device side? Some instruments have commmands to enable for example EOT/EOI.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, i have tried with termination characters \n and \r too but same error response. EOI and EOS are enabled too (screenshot attached)

Thanks for your prompt response. I've tried increasing the timeout value to account for response delays, but even with ample time, the read operation still ends with the same timeout error.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf