Author Topic: ET5410 or DCL6104 or a third programmable electronic DC Load in the budget cat.?  (Read 7227 times)

Online DaneLawTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Both can be had around the 170USD mark with delivery and VAT paid (more or less my budget roof)
Both are 400w/40A/150V single channels with what I reckon are banana jack valid-input sockets that can also double as screw terminals.

it's a jungle to get any insight into PC software and pro & cons about the menu interface amongst these two, as it is quite limited what user feedback or videos that exist on the DCL6104, same with the display quality.
There obviously a lot more menu & feature buttons on the DCL6104 12 vs 8 and with the incl. up/down arrows. but if that makes it easier to manage interface' is still up in the air, hence the lack of any knowledge about the DCL6104, same with the RS232 and what kind of software that works with this unit, if any.

specs. DCL6104

ET5410

Text DCL 6104

Text ET5410

back RS232 DCL6104

Back USB ET5410

The motive is an overall hobby use-case and particularly the high amp-ability that I find useful
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 04:33:22 pm by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
For PC software there is an alternative to the supplied software, at least for some loads:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/

The following users thanked this post: TheDane, DaneLaw, oftenfail

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
I'm in the middle of writing a driver for the DCL6104A (500V version) to use it with HKJ's program - hope to finish a draft over the weekend and release it (along with a HSPY power supply driver).

I am generally pretty happy with mine having picked it over the ET5411 (after a few improvements), very brief summary below:

Pros:
- Very affordable for a 500V load
- Can be controlled by SCPI over RS232 (and doesn't have a non-standard USB port like the ET5410)
- Nice form-factor for space-constrained workbenches
- Construction seems to be of decent quality - nice metalwork, Delta fan (will come to this again), no obvious knock-off parts etc. Even has labelled test-points!
- No obvious safety failures (you could put a screwdriver through the grille to the heatsink which is connected to load+, but that's about it, and it doesn't have live screws like the Kunkin etc)
- Basic functions seem to work fine
- Accuracy seems perfectly acceptable for non-critical use (at least if you're in the "low" range for low currents, voltages etc)
- Under 2 weeks from banggood to the UK, no customs charges
- Real power switch on the front, unlike Kunkin load with it on the back?!
- Remote sense possible with a mod, and with sensible behaviour when sense voltage not present (i.e. will not start the load if voltage is zero, will turn off in CV mode or maintain CC current if removed during operation).
- Battery mode (inc. CC, CR, CP) seems to work from a brief test (apparently at least some East Tester units have broken CR, maybe CP battery test modes). Seems to need a start voltage above 1V or so, but it happily discharged a NiMH to a 0.8V end voltage when I checked.
- English UI option usable, some odd translations but nothing problematic
- Seems not to blow up at 400W, 400V or 15A from my testing

Cons:
- No LAN connection
- Chinese manual, no SCPI manual (but a significant subset of the documented DCL8000 series commands work, again needing translation, I have figured out everything important other than how to set low/high range)
- No sense option by default
- ~6-7mA pk-pk ripple at mains frequency in CC mode, caused by poor layout of the PSU section
- Fan is unnecessarily loud at idle/low load (jet engine mode is unavoidable and thus forgivable at high loads - 400W is a lot in this size!). Regulates in 6 discrete steps, didn't notice it hunting between them.
- Transient test mode current rise/fall controls don't work properly - rise-time setting works over a certain range, fall doesn't seem to work at all (always seems to be a few hundred us). I believe the East Tester is worse in this regard from other's comments.
- Fewer test modes than the ET option (though the main ones are covered)
- Useless CH button on single channel model
- Could do with some quick setting options - going through the Mode menu regularly is annoying
- Trigger options pretty confusing, seem mostly useless without a hardware input (which can probably be hacked in as the sense was, albeit maybe with more detective work)
- No obvious way to make transient test continue forever (have to set a count, though it can be up to 100k cycles)
- FW readback blocked (I checked)
- Loud beeper (also on by default for any button press, though this can be changed)
- Very little info online (I'm helping with this one!)

Mods made:
- Changed the fan control curve by modifying the feedback circuit of the fan control opamp (mod reduces the minimum voltage but maintains the highest speed). Needed 3 SMD resistors.
- (mostly) fixed the current ripple by cutting 2 tracks and bridging them to a star point away from the mains frequency currents. A bit less than 1mA pk-pk left - good enough for me.
- Added remote sense by fitting a small relay in the position provided (removing 0R links) and adding the internal and external connections for a sense connection (used a blank hole in the back panel). Footprints, relay drive transistor (12V) and SCPI command for remote sense all work, the only thing lacking is a UI control.
- Reduced beeper volume with a piece of tape over the hole

Overall it seems like it will meet my needs (testing PFC and other higher voltage sources, and up to 15A for lower voltage stuff), but I haven't had a chance to use it with a source that isn't a bench supply or a battery yet.

For lower voltages I would also look at the Korad KEL103 option (rebranded as Tenma from Farnell/CPC, e.g. https://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/72-13210/dc-electronic-load-prog-30a-120v/dp/IN07979 ) - this has a few of the missing features like LAN, sense terminals, non-chinese manual, and potentially avoids some of the other cons. Form factor is a little bigger, and price is a bit higher (CPC's price is rather good though), but I personally would have gone for the Korad if I didn't want the higher voltage capability - unfortunately for 500V the only options are the cheap ET5411/DCL6104A or stuff at least 4-5x the price.

The ET54xx models seem to be a very similar design to what looks to me to be a slightly lower standard, but it may depend on exactly what features each person cares about. One good video I found on a dual channel version was here:

I'll put some pics and more description up when I get a little more time - it certainly would have helped my choice and I hope it will help others.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 03:30:46 pm by Hydron »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, DaneLaw, HerbTarlek, trp806mo

Offline oftenfail

Great stuff @Hydron! I also grabbed a DCL6204 (two channel version) and happy with it so far. I'm super interested in the mods you did, makes total sense and will help me and others a lot. Can you post some details about the mods?

Mods made:
- Changed the fan control curve by modifying the feedback circuit of the fan control opamp (mod reduces the minimum voltage but maintains the highest speed). Needed 3 SMD resistors.
- (mostly) fixed the current ripple by cutting 2 tracks and bridging them to a star point away from the mains frequency currents. A bit less than 1mA pk-pk left - good enough for me.
- Added remote sense by fitting a small relay in the position provided (removing 0R links) and adding the internal and external connections for a sense connection (used a blank hole in the back panel). Footprints, relay drive transistor (12V) and SCPI command for remote sense all work, the only thing lacking is a UI control.
- Reduced beeper volume with a piece of tape over the hole

BTW, is there a dedicated thread for the DCL series?

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
No dedicated thread that I know of. I did take some pics just haven't had time to make a proper post about it. Will try to find time, and mods are pretty simple to do (won't need much documentation).

Other notes to add to my original post, on further testing it has a few mA offset (not a biggie), and that the minimum CV mode voltage is ~1.35V (a bit more annoying - can go to lower voltage in CC mode however).

Offline oftenfail

Alright, looking forward!

The mods may be simple but since you've made them work, it'll be a great time-saver and risk-saver for us :)

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
OK so I don't see myself having time for a proper write-up, but I've made a big image dump in the following imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/IXXfqvm and described the mods briefly below:

The individual hacks are as follows:

- To reduce mains-frequency current ripple, cut two tracks (circled in red) and place 2 jumper wires.
- This stops the mains frequency currents flowing in the power supply section (on left) from shifting the current sense ground reference (on right) by providing more of a "star" ground.
- Will be familiar to anyone who has done audio design!

- Reduce the fan speed at lower temperatures by applying a bias voltage via a resistor to fan speed op-amp summing junction.
- Had a play around with different values - see attached text file. Was happy with 1.3k fed from a 1.75V bias voltage
- Voltage provided by a (fairly low resistance) voltage divider between a 3.3V test-point and a spot scratched in a ground plane. Values and point annotated in pic below.
- Still is a little nosier than ideal at idle - could be tweaked further but I think I'm done messing with it. Fan spec (a nice albeit noisy delta brand fan!) says 4V minimum to start, I've given it 4.4V here.
- Excuse the ugly (and pre-cleaning) soldering job - this was after getting the divider values around the wrong way and needing to have another go at it!

- Added sense relay (K2) after removing 0R links below it. Also added a header (JP202) - 3 pin 2.5(4?)mm pitch, outer two pins used.
- Relay is 12V coil, DPDT, non-latching, I salvaged mine from something else and didn't look up any of the specs (I don't even know the pin pitch, just matched it by eye). Ideally you want the contacts to match the 0R linked position when unpowered, but if it's the opposite then the sense/normal header connections could be swapped.
- Relay I used is unlikely to be rated for switching 500V DC, but I doubt it will cause issues in reality (especially as load sense is most useful at low voltages/high currents). Worth keeping in mind though that the sense connection could therefore be a shock hazard if the relay arcs internally.
- See imgur pics for how I fitted a sense connection. Can only be switched with the LOAD:SENS SCPI command (read with same command followed by a ?). SCPI needs CR/LF eol termination. See next post

I still haven't had time to finish a driver for the TestController software, but when I find time I'll submit it to HKJ, and it will form my documentation of the SCPI interface. If anyone needs to use SCPI in the mean-time then as I noted earlier the dingchen site has a SCPI manual (in chinese) for the DCL8000 to use as a guide.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 03:29:46 pm by Hydron »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, doktor pyta, DaneLaw, oftenfail, duckduck

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
...and a big bonus for the remote sense mod - shift+CH turns remote sense on/off, no need for SCPI  :) (CH button otherwise is useless on this model)

Offline oftenfail

Wonderful mods, great work Hydron!

Think will try the fan mod and reduce main noise mod. The remote sensing mod is really handy but also hefty to implement, not sure if I'll find matching relay and such.

Offline lvictorlucas

Does the ET5411 work with chopped AC and DC waveforms?  I just want to manually set the resistance. Thank you

Offline fonak

• Contributor
  • !
Hello,
I have software for DCL6204 but unfortunately I have a problem with the program, does anyone know how to fix such a bug ?

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
The input terminals look small for currents over 10A. Other loads have large terminals.

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,
I have software for DCL6204 but unfortunately I have a problem with the program, does anyone know how to fix such a bug ?
I have not been able to download the software - it needs a Baidu login which I can't get. If you are willing to send me the software then I'll have a look myself.

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Thanks for the link, I just tried it and got the same error. I will test on another computer (and also test the XP version) when I have time - probably not today unfortunately.

There is also a SCPI protocol available for the DCL8000 load, and most important commands are the same for the DCL6x04. I still have not had time to document what I tested as working, but I have some written notes that I will type up and share when I get some free time.

Edit: One of the reasons I would like to get this software going is to test if there are extra available commands that I do not know, for example to setup some of the items in the ParaSet menu like Vscale and Iscale.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:51:17 am by Hydron »

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Update on the software - I got it going by changing some filenames to remove chinese characters, which seemed to cause NI problems on my non-chinese-locale system. Does not appear to offer any additional settings vs SCPI control, and seems to use a completely different (probably binary) protocol from the quick go I had sniffing the comms. Mostly a waste of time unfortunately.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
Pros:
- No obvious safety failures (you could put a screwdriver through the grille to the heatsink which is connected to load+, but that's about it, and it doesn't have live screws like the Kunkin etc)
I found no references (videos/reviews/forum posts) on supposedly live screws on Kunkin (I guess KP184 model, as it is similar in specs so ET5410). Can you elaborate? Thanks

EDIT: Info on metal backplate screw connections is discussed in calibration manual and in video Kunkin KP184 Review | Voltlog #299
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 04:11:22 pm by electr_peter »

Offline matteo_galet

Did you manage to get the DCL working?
Mine wouldn't respond to basic SCPI commands, but works with its software via binary protocol.
Am I missing something?

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Yeah SCPI works on mine, though there's no documentation on it. I had to go through the DCL8000 manual here: http://www.czdingchen.com/Uploads/file/20180322/1521706734917408.pdf and figured out which commands work. I'm probably missing a few things - some stuff like current/voltage scale aren't there. Sadly the micro on the front panel is read-protected so I can't pull the binary code and look at the strings in it (maybe it's a reason to look into the state of STM32 protection bypass methods though?).

If you can't get SCPI working then it might be todo with your EOL character - it's probably gonna require CR then LF, if that's not it then try different combinations (I vaguely recall having to fiddle with this for a piece of equipment, it MIGHT have been this one).

I've still got my notes on all this somewhere, but they are on paper and I've not gotten round to writing them up or creating a driver sorry. Stuff I'm pretty sure works is:
*IDN? etc
LOAD:REM ON - remote mode on (OFF for off), probably required before anything else will work
FETC:CURR?
FETC:VOLT?
FETC:POW? - get current/voltage/power
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 02:21:56 pm by Hydron »

Offline matteo_galet

Insane!!
After spending one full day last week trying to get SCPI working, today it suddently started digesting it no problem.
Without me touching anything at all... crazy!

BTW thank you, now I only need to understand how to select channel 1 or 2, as I have the dual channel version of the instrument.
Many quite standard commands I found online do not work...

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Sorry I only have a single channel version (DCL6104A, 500V 15A version) - can't help there!

Does anyone have a firmware file for one of these units? Could help a lot with figuring out SCPI. Didn't see any downloads on their site unfortunately.

Online DaneLawTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Took the plunge on Easter Tester ET5410 as it seems to be filled with quite extensive testing features, and even some that I don't even know the use-cases for.
- plus it was stocked inside Europe (CN wholesalers /BG), so only 2 or 3 days shipping time

The SW&HW it arrived with.  v1.02.21.27.002 / v1.03.21.36.003

The screen looks clear & vibrant, but the resolution ain't bad for a 2.8" with 400x280.

At first glance, I'm quite impressed (with the price in mind) as things are weirdly expensive here in Denmark, to an extent that DK sadly top the continent by a margin, which also leaves quite a mark on the second-hand market and test-gear prices there.
A 40A / 420W programable electronic load with incl. 25% danish VAT delivered to your door for 144 USD, is miles better than what I could find regional.

The small postcard with date-of-manufacturer claims 1/2022, but these QC greeting cards usually don't carry any meaning. though will try to open it up and see if anything varies like board rev. etc., but I doubt it.. SW & FW could indicate the first half of 2021 (SW=02.21 / HW=03.21?)
Quite beefy 4mm banana jacks at 7mm wide... the knob was added.
// The production date in the start of 2022.. is likely correct as there are components inside with date codes in late 2021.

Been taking a look at Dingchen DCL6104.
as far as I can tell, these more advanced features.. are not present on the 6000 series.. and are first being explained on the 8000 and 9000 series.

DCL8000 http://www.czdingchen.com/Uploads/file/20180322/1521706906227564.pdf
DCL6000 http://www.czdingchen.com/Uploads/file/20180511/1526017647119833.pdf
Manuals, SW & SCPI etc http://www.czdingchen.com/custom/2
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 12:32:06 am by DaneLaw »

Offline burkm

• Regular Contributor
Hard to tell, because all docs and info is in Chinese...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf