Author Topic: Extech MM570A video review and teardown photo's  (Read 28715 times)

Offline SpawnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
Extech MM570A video review and teardown photo's
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:48:26 am »
Extech send me a MM570A as replacement for EX570 , but is it better?

It certainly is! What a huge difference, the overall quality and workmanship on the PCB is a lot better.

My video review here:

Meter itself is a lot faster than EX570, continuity test is Fluke like. Update speed is good, protection is well taught and the fuses are a lot better.

You think I am Extech fan now? Well you got it wrong here comes the downside, backlight has 4 LED’s behind the LCD instead of like on any given multimeter in the corners, so you see 4 LED's in your screen and it is butt uggly. The backlight has auto power off after 30 seconds, and you can’t change that, so every time you turn on the light it goes off after 30 seconds, they say it is for better battery life, who cares about the battery when I turn on my backlight, I just want my backlight lit and nothing else and I will be the judge of when I want to turn it off. These two things are not that huge problems, so not end of the world but slightly annoying.

The other thing which made me worry was, even when I told them that I will take photos and test than put it on the forum, the LCD screen was full finger prints not outside, no on the second screen in the meter, here comes the grand final… the 440mA fuse was blown out of the box! I mean, come on Extech, we are talking about quality control last couple days on EX570 these two things are not even that big problems to locate.

At the end, do I like the meter? Yes despite the problems this meter is just other league than EX570, is it equal to Fluke? Nope but close to it, and it should be because a US Fluke 85-V cost almost same as this one in US, not here in Europe because we pay for 85-V twice more than in US and the extech is slightly more expensive than US. But Fluke won’t send you a meter with full finger prints and blown fuse… so if you like finger prints and blown 10 dollar fuse in your meter, by all means go get Extech.

So should you buy one? I would say, if you live in US get the Fluke and if you are in Europe and don’t have the money for Fluke go for Extech. Even better, go for Brymen because it is a lot cheaper…

So if someone from Extech is reading this, don’t bother to mail me because I won’t bother to mail you either.  You got me little disappointed with the finger prints and got me really pissed with blown fuse. I am sending back EX570 this week, have fun with it…

As for the photos, here they are, judge yourself guys :)

Size difference:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:05:44 am by Spawn »

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Extech MM570A arrived as replacement for EX570 but is it better?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 07:59:19 am »
It is a rebadged Brymen, albeit an older design (their new ones all have the curvy BM-867/869 shape). The "BTC" on the main chip is a dead giveaway, it stands for Brymen Technology Corporation, all the Brymen leads are branded BTC too.
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:06:24 am »
Yeap I know  :)

That's why I said:
Even better, go for Brymen because it is a lot cheaper…

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 08:53:14 am »
The other thing which made me worry was, even when I told them that I will take photos and test than put it on the forum, the LCD screen was full finger prints not outside, no on the second screen in the meter, here comes the grand final… the 440mA fuse was blown out of the box! I mean, come on Extech, we are talking about quality control last couple days on EX570 these two things are not even that big problems to locate.
Hear that?

Someone at Extech is probably  |O and/or  :palm:.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:25:44 am »
Not only does this reflect on Extech, but also on Brymen as the OEM.

I have no complaints on the construction and cleanliness of my BM869, but I a a little peeved on the included leads. At leat they are not bad leads, just what I did not expect.

So I wonder what will Extech do now?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:01:27 am »
It seems to be the Brymen MB859CFa in disguise:
http://www.brymen.com/product-html/cata850a/BM850a_Catalog.pdf

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:20:58 am »
I have a strong feeling that you received refurbished/repaired/ex-demo unit from Extech... I don't know a lot about Brymen QC, but I don't think that Bussmann or Siba let bad fuses go out from the factory?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:39:26 am by Nermash »

Offline jnd

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 12:20:52 pm »
What is the AD chip on right in the 9th photo? I can't read it but it looks like some reference.
Wannabe volt-nut, slowly hunting solid meters with low budget.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 01:38:02 pm »
What is the AD chip on right in the 9th photo? I can't read it but it looks like some reference.

AD636, RMS to DC converter.
(Why can't you read it, reading on your phone?)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline jnd

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal stuff
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 02:09:00 pm »

AD636, RMS to DC converter.
(Why can't you read it, reading on your phone?)

Nope, the SO-8 under it, I should specified that earlier.
Wannabe volt-nut, slowly hunting solid meters with low budget.

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 03:04:40 pm »
Not only does this reflect on Extech, but also on Brymen as the OEM.

Lightages, I don’t think this was Brymen but someone who tested the unit before shipping out or like Nermash said it is a refurbished item.

So I wonder what will Extech do now?

I don’t   ^-^ I mean after that many QC issues lately they get a chance to cover that little bit maybe only for me, but I was ready to brag about their customer services and how good they are with aftermarket issues, everything went perfect and fast, till I saw those finger prints and the blown fuse.

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 03:13:08 pm »
I have a strong feeling that you received refurbished/repaired/ex-demo unit from Extech... I don't know a lot about Brymen QC, but I don't think that Bussmann or Siba let bad fuses go out from the factory?

I don’t think it is Brymen’s fault nor the fuse manufacturer, nothing is impossible but I think it went wrong when they wanted to test before shipping out and they didn’t notice, this is only me assuming things I could be wrong of course

@Whtnucls, yeap it is, I didn’t mention in my first post because it is widely known on the forum.

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
Re: Extech MM570A video review and teardown photo's
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 08:07:44 am »
Video review added to start post, it is HD but youtube is still bussy, give it a hour for HD version.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 08:21:00 am »
I don’t   ^-^ I mean after that many QC issues lately they get a chance to cover that little bit maybe only for me, but I was ready to brag about their customer services and how good they are with aftermarket issues, everything went perfect and fast, till I saw those finger prints and the blown fuse.
Personally, I think you should give them one last chance to make it right.  Perhaps you will get a "new" perfect one this time and they will let you keep this MM570A.

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 08:47:04 am »
I doubt that retiredcaps, they suggest to give me a MM560A first I didn’t accept it and ask for MM570A after that they needed two days to discuss about that I think, because mailing was suddenly stopped  ;D

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 09:48:12 am »
I doubt that retiredcaps, they suggest to give me a MM560A first I didn’t accept it and ask for MM570A after that they needed two days to discuss about that I think, because mailing was suddenly stopped  ;D
I don't work in the T&M industry, but in my previous field, I made darn sure the customer was 100% satisfied with a new purchase no matter what.  It was this attitude that helped us win the majority of the business even though our products were premium priced.

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 03:59:59 pm »
Hmm maybe you are right, the thing is I am afraid to get a multimeter even worse than this one, it’s just how I feel. The finger prints where already cleaned by me when I was taking the review video, and I already put a new fuse in there, other than that this meter is great, it has some good quality unlike EX570

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 07:17:26 pm »
Nice review!!!!  Please review MetraHit 23  if you have time :-DMM

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 08:50:07 pm »
Thanks  :) I am not sure how old my 23s is, I got it second hand while ago it is a discontinued model, you will like to see inside?

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 10:49:08 pm »
Yes, many people said thats a good model.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Brymen 857A for comparison purposes
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 01:11:30 am »
I just got a Brymen 857A from eBay, and tore it apart for comparison purposes.

Please note that there are some differences on the board vs. the model Spawn posted. But keep in mind, that based on the date codes on the unit I have, this one was made in late 2000 - early 2001, and the MM570A from 2011. Quite a few years difference.

Some of the differences:
500V fuses, and in a smaller package (5mm x 20mm), and not as much input protection.
No battery access hatch (must remove the entire rear cover).
2 different semis.
No pots; precision resistor network instead.
Gold plating on all the selector switch contact surfaces (PCB).

Unlike Spawn's MM570A however, both fuses were good.  :P Leads weren't even in a bag, and looked used. Given it's age, this may be a refurb or used in excelent condition (sold as NIB).

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 01:19:48 am »
Internal pics.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 01:22:44 am »
Last of them.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Brymen 857A for comparison purposes
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 01:44:11 am »
Please note that there are some differences on the board vs. the model Spawn posted. But keep in mind, that based on the date codes on the unit I have, this one was made in late 2000 - early 2001, and the MM570A from 2011. Quite a few years difference.
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Having just fixed a 25+ year old Fluke 8060A due to 5 out of 10 electrolytic capacitors leaking its electrolyte, I hope those two electrolytic caps don't leak on you anytime soon.  In Spawn's pictures, it looks like they have been replaced or removed.

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Brymen 857A for comparison purposes
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 01:50:59 am »
Thanks a lot for the teardown! It does indeed look quite different from the latest Brymen models. Still seems like super good value for money for the price you paid though!

I just got a Brymen 857A from eBay, and tore it apart for comparison purposes.

Some of the differences:
500V fuses, and in a smaller package (5mm x 20mm), and not as much input protection.
No battery access hatch (must remove the entire rear cover).
2 different semis.
No pots; precision resistor network instead.
Gold plating on all the selector switch contact surfaces (PCB).

Unlike Spawn's MM570A however, both fuses were good.  :P Leads weren't even in a bag, and looked used. Given it's age, this may be a refurb or used in excelent condition (sold as NIB).
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf