Author Topic: Extech MM570A video review and teardown photo's  (Read 28720 times)

Offline SpawnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
Re: Extech MM570A video review and teardown photo's
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 01:52:22 am »
I can see what we talk about nanofrog, it is actually weird they keep same housing and try to improve over the years, mostly these kind manufacturers change the shape of the meter over the years, 10 years difference taught them something and they improved on the newer models it seems, I see some things un unpopulated on your main PCB which are filled on mine like the ones under the shield on my PCB.  It is like Fluke 80 series improving over the years but changes are not much as this one.

You got yourself hell of a meter for that price, it is just great  :-+

Offline rbola35618

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 02:04:23 am »
I have an Amp Probe AM140 and the inside looks very similar. This leads me to believe that it is also a Brymen as well.

Robert

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 02:17:57 am »
I have an Amp Probe AM140 and the inside looks very similar. This leads me to believe that it is also a Brymen as well.

Robert

Yes, It has been discussed before, the meters there are older models, like the Extech there is MM570 and mine is MM570A, I would love to see the difference in those two to be honest.
And there is also GreenLee with same guts too, so in total 4 brands are using same multimeter in their own colors.

See here
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:28:39 am by Spawn »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Brymen 857A for comparison purposes
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 02:32:34 am »
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Having just fixed a 25+ year old Fluke 8060A due to 5 out of 10 electrolytic capacitors leaking its electrolyte, I hope those two electrolytic caps don't leak on you anytime soon.  In Spawn's pictures, it looks like they have been replaced or removed.
Glad I had something worth posting for a change (not the same exact thing others have done).  ;)

Good catch on the electrolytics. No sign of leakage yet, and hopefully they won't any time soon. But I'll certainly have to keep an eye on them when I check the battery.

Thanks a lot for the teardown! It does indeed look quite different from the latest Brymen models. Still seems like super good value for money for the price you paid though!
At what I paid, definitely.  ;D

I'm not so sure at full price though, depending on location. Not so much in the US for example, as by the time better leads and a data kit are added, the price comes in around what an Agilent U1252B goes for (BM869/Greenlee DM-560A + leads + data kit vs. U1252B when it includes the BT adapter for free, which they seem to do fairly regularly it seems).

I can see what we talk about nanofrog, it is actually weird they keep same housing and try to improve over the years, mostly these kind manufacturers change the shape of the meter over the years, 10 years difference taught them something and they improved on the newer models it seems, I see some things un unpopulated on your main PCB which are filled on mine like the ones under the shield on my PCB.  It is like Fluke 80 series improving over the years but changes are not much as this one.

You got yourself hell of a meter for that price, it is just great  :-+
Likely cheaper and faster to concentrate on the PCB alone, as they don't have to create new injection molds.

As per the cost, definitely for what I paid.  :)

Can't recall the innards of the AM140, but as Brymen appears to be primarily an ODM, and how similar the features (and identical soft key layout is), it's likely IMHO.

Yes, It has been discussed before, the meters there are older models, like the Extech there is MM570 and mine is MM570A, I would love to see the difference in those two to be honest.
And there is also GreenLee with same guts too, so in total 4 brands are using same multimeter in their own colors.

See here
Which Greenlee?

The DM-560A is the newer model (same as the BM869A), not the older BM859CFa (big brother of the BM857A I have).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:34:28 am by nanofrog »

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 03:23:18 am »
This one here nanofrog, and cost a lot more than any of these I bleave:

.... Greenlee DM-860A....
If you would, please tear it down, and post pics. Would be seriously interesting to compare it to the BM857A (might give me a few ideas...  >:D).  :)

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 03:30:04 am »
I don't have one, and when I see the price I will never get one either  :-DD

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 03:34:25 am »
I don't have one, and when I see the price I will never get one either  :-DD
Ah, OK.

Thought you might have one (pic of your meters might not have been as obvious if it was "naked").  ;)

I'd love to see detailed images of the PCB's on one of those though...  >:D

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 03:38:48 am »
It is almost a sure thing that the Greenlee is exactly the same meter as the Brymen.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 03:53:58 am »
 :-*
It is almost a sure thing that the Greenlee is exactly the same meter as the Brymen.
I expect so.  :)

But I'd love to see pics of the PCB's to get a better idea of what they changed between the two models (what parts are/aren't populated besides the fuses).  ;)

Offline rbola35618

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 04:04:42 am »
Spawn,

Great review and photos were also very helpful. Job well done!!

Robert

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 08:41:12 am »
Spawn,

Great review and photos were also very helpful. Job well done!!

Robert

Thanks for the nice feedback :)

Thought you might have one (pic of your meters might not have been as obvious if it was "naked").  ;)

Yeah, I should line them up and make a new family photo, I just look at it and Fluke 87 was missing on the photo.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 11:45:20 am »
Yeah, I should line them up and make a new family photo, I just look at it and Fluke 87 was missing on the photo.
Sounds great, but please put some "clothes" on them. Might make it easier to ID.  ;)

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 06:57:59 pm »
Might make it easier to ID.  ;)

I know this is going to sound weird, but even I have couple meters from same model, I still know which one is which, no markers or what so ever.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2013, 05:57:07 am »
nanofrog, I snatched the last Brymen of that eBay seller and, although the probes were not in a bag, the DMM looked brand new (no marks or spots at all). I also see that, just like mine, yours is a BM857 and not a BM857a - Brymen's picture shows a different marking. I am not exactly sure what is the difference other than using a different data cable. From the Extech video I see that the continuity is latched (mine is not).
Despite this, this is an incredible and fully featured DMM. In my opinion the smart details are the highlights: the cable detection (I already blew two 440mA fuses of my Fluke 179), the NVRAM that stores the last option used with a power off, the manual that explains some technical terms and is actually written in good english, and a very speedy bargraph.
The lowlights are the backlight and the flimsy stand...
All in all, I am very happy with it.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2013, 03:58:40 pm »
nanofrog, I snatched the last Brymen of that eBay seller and, although the probes were not in a bag, the DMM looked brand new (no marks or spots at all). I also see that, just like mine, yours is a BM857 and not a BM857a - Brymen's picture shows a different marking. I am not exactly sure what is the difference other than using a different data cable. From the Extech video I see that the continuity is latched (mine is not).
Despite this, this is an incredible and fully featured DMM. In my opinion the smart details are the highlights: the cable detection (I already blew two 440mA fuses of my Fluke 179), the NVRAM that stores the last option used with a power off, the manual that explains some technical terms and is actually written in good english, and a very speedy bargraph.
The lowlights are the backlight and the flimsy stand...
All in all, I am very happy with it.
No "a" printed on the meter or box in the model number for my unit either, but the data sheet on their site does.  According to the seller, these came from a liquidated company, and must have sat on a shelf for a very long time, as the date codes in mine put manufacture in 2000 (perhaps these originally didn't have the battery installed and prevented corrosion on the connector terminals). Had the included manual been an issue, the one for the Extech MM560A can be substituted if it were needed (or used to look over prior to purchase).

NOS or not, no big deal IMHO overall. It does have some issues (fuses rated at 500V, continuity is scratchy with the included probes would be others), as most meters, but at $70 - 100 (depending on which seller), it's a good deal. For those outside of the US, it could be a different story, depending on what's available to them.

BTW, that seller has more from what I understand (from an email), so there will be more listings in time for those interested (keep an eye out).

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2013, 11:43:08 pm »
According to the seller, these came from a liquidated company, and must have sat on a shelf for a very long time, as the date codes in mine put manufacture in 2000
This and the 500V fuses make me believe ours may be a previous revision, especially when compared to the MM560A internals. I am so happy with the price/features ratio that I really don't mind at all. I would never pay the $428 Amazon is charging for the Greenlee.

It does have some issues (fuses rated at 500V, continuity is scratchy with the included probes would be others), as most meters, but at $70 - 100 (depending on which seller), it's a good deal.
Yes, I don't like the scratchy continuity, but at least is ridiculously responsive. Regarding the 500V fuses, I personally don't care as long as I know it beforehand - both the manual and the website make that perfectly clear, which is very nice.

One thing I couldn't find is the burden voltage. Could you find this info anywhere?

BTW, that seller has more from what I understand (from an email), so there will be more listings in time for those interested (keep an eye out).
That is very nice to know. I'll be on the lookout.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2013, 02:33:01 am »
This and the 500V fuses make me believe ours may be a previous revision, especially when compared to the MM560A internals. I am so happy with the price/features ratio that I really don't mind at all. I would never pay the $428 Amazon is charging for the Greenlee.
Nor me.

Yes, I don't like the scratchy continuity, but at least is ridiculously responsive. Regarding the 500V fuses, I personally don't care as long as I know it beforehand - both the manual and the website make that perfectly clear, which is very nice.
Completely went away for me by using better probes (horrible with the included probes, got better with the Agilent probes, and vanished with a couple of different Probemaster sets I have on hand).

BTW, if you look closely at the PCB, it's designed to accept the larger fuses and legend states the current values (both 600V). Easy upgrade for those interested.

One thing I couldn't find is the burden voltage. Could you find this info anywhere?
Page 18 in the manual that came in the box (values listed for DC Current, AC Current, AC + DC Current).

If you're missing this in your manual, let me know, and I'll post it for you.

Offline videobruce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 02:08:47 pm »
To the OP, great job on the review.  :-+

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2013, 04:12:07 pm »
Thank you  :) I am glad you like it, waiting for more equipment so I can do more reviews.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 12:58:35 pm »
Completely went away for me by using better probes (horrible with the included probes, got better with the Agilent probes, and vanished with a couple of different Probemaster sets I have on hand).
I can confirm it was almost vanished with my TL75 probes as well.

BTW, if you look closely at the PCB, it's designed to accept the larger fuses and legend states the current values (both 600V). Easy upgrade for those interested.
Yes, mine has that as well.

One interesting thing is that I did some testing on several open fuses (1AG, 3AG, 5AG) with my neon transformer and found the 3AG (glass) broke up at around 6.4kV (rms). If the glass was coated from the inside with the destruction of the element, it broke down at around 4.8kV. The 5AG only broke at around 10.8kV. Unfortunately I didn't have any 3AB (ceramic) to test. The 1AG gave up at around 2.4kV. Obviously that these don't supersede the manufacturer specifications, but it surely shows that lower rated fuses can proably still pass CAT rating tests.

Page 18 in the manual that came in the box (values listed for DC Current, AC Current, AC + DC Current).
Duh! Thank you! This is one of these things that are so obvious you don't notice.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 02:48:51 pm »
One interesting thing is that I did some testing on several open fuses (1AG, 3AG, 5AG) with my neon transformer and found the 3AG (glass) broke up at around 6.4kV (rms). If the glass was coated from the inside with the destruction of the element, it broke down at around 4.8kV. The 5AG only broke at around 10.8kV. Unfortunately I didn't have any 3AB (ceramic) to test. The 1AG gave up at around 2.4kV. Obviously that these don't supersede the manufacturer specifications, but it surely shows that lower rated fuses can proably still pass CAT rating tests.

I would not jump to that conclusion. A neon transformer is not going to be able to provide the current to start a nice plasma of any power. The test voltages and currents used in CAT rating tests are far beyond what you can hope to supply with that transformer. If you could provide pulse from a 2 ohm source at 8kV+ then you might have a real test. If you do have something to do this, I hope we hear from you again......

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 04:10:04 pm »
I have done that test and the ceramic fuses do survive, though the glass ones turn into powder and metal vapour. testing a microwave which did intermittent fuse blowing, so got a box of 10 glass fuses and sleeved them with glass sleeving to contain the blast ( a box cost the same price as the one 10A ceramic, so a box it was) somewhat so the pieces would not bew all over the inside. Found the faulty interlock bar, and adjusted it to stop blowing fuses then put the ceramic one in. Glass sleeve did need changing every 3 fuses or so as it was full of glass shards.

Funny thing is the high voltage fuses are nothing more than a 1A glass fuse inside a plastic casing with a lead on the ends. Nothing fancy, and often for testing I replace the blown fuse with a jumper wire to see what is faulty - magnetron ( not often it goes short, mostly low emission), diode ( more likely than magnetron but not common) or capacitor ( common). That is about all other than a faulty transformer on the HT side, most HT fuses blow due to dirt building up on the capacitor or diode terminals or a faulty fan. LT fuse can be anything........ Commonly switches.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 10:54:54 pm »
I would not jump to that conclusion. A neon transformer is not going to be able to provide the current to start a nice plasma of any power. The test voltages and currents used in CAT rating tests are far beyond what you can hope to supply with that transformer. If you could provide pulse from a 2 ohm source at 8kV+ then you might have a real test. If you do have something to do this, I hope we hear from you again......
I agree with you that the CAT ratings measure other aspects with fully working DMMs with good fuses (thus the need for the power supply you mentioned), and my comment was more toward a suspicion that a manufacture could have a slim chance to pass some of the tests with a 3AB/3AG fuse, given the air gap would only ionize at several kV. I should have specified better in my comment below.

All that said, my test was intended to check the maximum voltage of the gap between the fuse electrodes (as it was open) and not cause the rupture of its element (or its mechanical assembly). For that any high voltage source is enough. As SeanB mentioned below, even with that I was able to shatter glass fuses with a mere 30mA.

Anyways, I don't want to hijack the thread with my fuse experiments... Sorry.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 11:26:40 pm »
The latest IEC 61010-1 (Safety requirements for electrical equipment for measurement, control and laboratory use) require fast blow HRC fuses with a voltage rating at least equal to the CAT rating of the multimeter.
Glass fuses won't do anymore. I notice CEM in China is now installing 1000V HRC fuses in their new DMMs.
Also, the DMM testing on the amp side is done with ruptured fuses, with a constant 2000V applied to the input jacks for 2 minutes, if my memory serves me right. The purpose is to check for destructive arcing between fuse, fuse holders, jacks and PCB traces.
The other inputs are tested with higher pulsed voltages.

http://www.cem-instruments.com/en/pro/pro-466.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:43:57 pm by Wytnucls »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf