Author Topic: Good mid-range DC Load  (Read 5023 times)

Offline znrootTopic starter

• Contributor
  • EE
Good mid-range DC Load
« on: March 08, 2017, 04:53:55 pm »
Hi, I am looking after a good DC Load to buy... any advice? :)
I am looking at something under 500W (price between 300USD and 600USD, if there is something in this price range) just to make some test on my power supply projects  :popcorn:

I love negative feedback

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Good mid-range DC Load
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 05:10:33 pm »
It depends what you mean by small supply project, we needs amps and voltages.
I'm using Agilent N3300A for high power application and for smaller SMU.
Smaller DC loads are also Agilent 66319D or similar from family. You can find them pretty cheap (in your price range) on eBay.

Or consider buying something like
https://www.tindie.com/products/Kaktus/mightywatt-kit-70w-electronic-load-for-arduino/

Or building this:
http://gpete.blogs.keysight.com/2012/03/building-electronic-load-with-general.html

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 05:55:17 pm »
I bought an ITECH IT8211 recently (on ebay) for $256 (free shipping) and am quite pleased with it.  It's identical to the much more expensive BK Precision 8540.  While not remote controllable you can program it from the front panel to a limited extent.  It also lacks a constant power mode that higher-end models have, only offering constant current, voltage and resistance.  Accuracy is excellent and the fan noise isn't too bad either.  I also like the large, super easy to read display, but it can only show two parameters at a time, not a big deal to me.
-katie

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 06:07:56 pm »
If you have the time and inclination...you can build a pretty hefty one from this PCB: https://www.tindie.com/products/fivefishaudio/180w-240watt-electronic-load-pcb/?pt=full_prod_search

The Digikey BOM is available from them for convenience.  It handles up to 120V @ 2A.  You will need to find two specific Intel CPU cooling assemblies on Ebay which is no big deal.  I built it and it's impressive.
Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 06:33:41 pm »
The Agilent N3300A is nice but rare to find for a decent price. I have one and after a couple of years of waiting I finally managed to score a 120V/60A/500W module. If you need a load now then the ones from Maynuo, Array, etc are a good and economic choice.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:49:33 pm »
If you have the time and inclination...you can build a pretty hefty one from this PCB: https://www.tindie.com/products/fivefishaudio/180w-240watt-electronic-load-pcb/?pt=full_prod_search

The Digikey BOM is available from them for convenience.  It handles up to 120V @ 2A.  You will need to find two specific Intel CPU cooling assemblies on Ebay which is no big deal.  I built it and it's impressive.

They want 30usd for just the circuit board, not including shipping.  WTF?

• Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 07:01:03 pm »
It depends what you mean by small supply project, we needs amps and voltages.
I'm using Agilent N3300A for high power application and for smaller SMU.
Smaller DC loads are also Agilent 66319D or similar from family. You can find them pretty cheap (in your price range) on eBay.

Or consider buying something like
https://www.tindie.com/products/Kaktus/mightywatt-kit-70w-electronic-load-for-arduino/

Or building this:
http://gpete.blogs.keysight.com/2012/03/building-electronic-load-with-general.html

Yes, I like the arduino one but I think it hasn't good performance. Agilent/Keysight would be my first choice but It's not cheap (I need to put some money apart  :-DD )

I bought an ITECH IT8211 recently (on ebay) for $256 (free shipping) and am quite pleased with it.  It's identical to the much more expensive BK Precision 8540.  While not remote controllable you can program it from the front panel to a limited extent.  It also lacks a constant power mode that higher-end models have, only offering constant current, voltage and resistance.  Accuracy is excellent and the fan noise isn't too bad either.  I also like the large, super easy to read display, but it can only show two parameters at a time, not a big deal to me.

That's seem to be good enough... Also Maynuo 9710  is very good!

I am not considering building one myself because I need something a bit "professional", I already have a 50W DIY DC Load so I need something better.
I love negative feedback

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 07:02:52 pm »

I'd take the 120V @ 2A spec with a large grain for salt. The IRFP250 MOSFET is designed for switching and such MOSFETs are not suitable to use in a linear application like a DC load. The person who tested 120V has been extremely lucky if you look at the SOA graph.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 07:07:39 pm »
The Agilent N3300A is nice but rare to find for a decent price. I have one and after a couple of years of waiting I finally managed to score a 120V/60A/500W module. If you need a load now then the ones from Maynuo, Array, etc are a good and economic choice.

Yep, the modules are not cheap and rare on eBay. I was thinking about modification of Agilent HP 60507B module,they are cheaper that 33xx series modules.

• Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 07:10:33 pm »

I'd take the 120V @ 2A spec with a large grain for salt. The IRFP250 MOSFET is designed for switching and such MOSFETs are not suitable to use in a linear application like a DC load. The person who tested 120V has been extremely lucky if you look at the SOA graph.

I was looking the MOS's datasheet and thinking the same thing  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:14:51 pm by nicolozilio »
I love negative feedback

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 10:20:09 pm »
Search on amazon for KL283. I'm pretty happy with mine.

https://smile.amazon.com/T-king-KL283-Channel-Adjustable-Electronic/dp/B015HM17MU/

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 02:30:24 am »
@usagi: I often see these on eBay, but it seems no one has posted more about them here. Good to hear that it's been working well for you. Some photos of the insides would be great if you're so inclined.

@nicolozilio: I've been using an older GW Instek PEL-300 (3-60V, 6mA-60A, 300W max). It's not compact like the KL283, but has CC, CV and CR modes, programmable playback, and GPIB interface (although I haven't yet found the command set for it, just the newer PEL-3000). One mod I'd like to do at some point is to install banana jacks for external sense.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 04:38:26 pm »

• Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 05:31:15 pm »
I've used few times the PEL-3000 and it's very good. But a bit expensive for my wallet (at the moment)
I love negative feedback

Offline Jester

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 01:05:35 pm »

Have you ever run this for an extended period with a fairly high voltage?, say 75V

Neither FET shows a DC curve on the SOW plot. How do you know this will survive without a DC SOW specification?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:10:57 pm by Jester »

Offline dorkshoei

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 07:06:00 pm »

I just picked up one for $205 (after AliExpress $10 coupon) shipped.   

The ITECH manual is visually the same layout as the BK manual but (I'm not sure why) it's a poor English translation.  Best to download the BK manual. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf