Author Topic: New Lecroy Wavesurfer 4000HD - Made by Siglent ?  (Read 1945 times)

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
New Lecroy Wavesurfer 4000HD - Made by Siglent ?
« on: January 04, 2020, 09:49:41 pm »
Hi,

Lecroy´s new "cheap" 12bit scope series :

Wavesurfer 4000Hd

So far so good, looks nice, still expensive for hobbyists although it´s the cheapest way to get 12 bit from them.
What me makes curious:
We know the lecroy wavesurfer 3000 series are equal to siglent´s sds 3000....
We got a wavesurfer 3024 at work and it´s still buggy and therefore I visit the lecroy website from time to time, looking for a new firmware.
And indeed, a new FW was launched…
I´m opening the release notes - Surprise :
Following models are listed : wavesurfer 3000, wavesurfer 3000z and....4000hd !
What could this mean, does it come frome siglent ?
Then their new sds5000 would not be their biggest model since.
Or is it pure coincidence….

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: New Lecroy Wavesurfer 4000HD - Made by Siglent ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 10:45:52 pm »
Yes well this LeCroy 4000HD has the same form factor as SDS3000X, same BW but miserable mem depth vs SDS5000X.
The only differences I quickly spot over SDS3000X/3000Z is a larger 12.1" display and jump to 5 GSa/s.

Due to their long running partnership their is every likelihood this new 4000HD is made especially for LeCroy and spec'ed to meet a particular price point.

I wonder if this model has the ERES feature too ?...........
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 10:55:36 pm »
but miserable mem depth vs SDS5000X.

And it would be "much worser", it got 12bit resolution….

I wonder if this model has the ERES feature too ?

It got it like nearly every model from them until late 90s ( The WaveAce crap doesn´t, of course, but also the WaveJet series( which was build by iwatsu).

Due to their long running partnership their is every likelihood this new 4000HD is made especially for LeCroy and spec'ed to meet a particular price point.

Ah, too bad....I expected a yes, it comes from siglent from you... ;D

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 11:10:24 pm »
but miserable mem depth vs SDS5000X.

And it would be "much worser", it got 12bit resolution….

I wonder if this model has the ERES feature too ?

It got it like nearly every model from them until late 90s ( The WaveAce crap doesn´t, of course, but also the WaveJet series( which was build by iwatsu).
:)
The point I was trying to make is; is ERES permanently enabled in order to get the native 12 bit resolution ?  :-//

Ah, too bad....I expected a yes, it comes from siglent from you... ;D
It certainly looks like it is from Siglent when you study the form factor, specs and options....many of the same pt#'s  ;)
Yet it's not on the Chinese website............yet.  :-//  :-//

You may have noticed SDS3000 (not X) is no longer on the Siglent website so the LeCroy version (WS3000) will need be supported from LeCroy directly. Other early shared models of scopes and DSO's had FW versions from both Siglent and LeCroy and way back then some of the FW was better from LeCroy but today that doesn't seem to be the case.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 11:17:42 pm »
Why would this scream made by Siglent?

Siglent doesn't offer a scope with a 12 bit ADC, and the chassis looks for all the world like every other current LeCroy developed scope... the UI is somewhat similar, but I think that's more a matter of scope UIs converging somewhat and Siglent copying what works - XStream has looked like this for a decade or more.  LeCroy's had probably the longest history of any major manufacturer for offering high resolution ADCs, so this is like a 5th generation product or something, and to my knowledge all of the predecessors have been designed and made by themselves.

There's some chance that Siglent is the OEM, but if they are doing so, it's under strict conditions to not use the same ADC in their scopes methinks, because a 12 bit Siglent scope would probably be imminent if not already out if they had the parts on hand and had already done design engineering for LeCroy.

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 11:54:31 pm »
Hi,

The point I was trying to make is; is ERES permanently enabled in order to get the native 12 bit resolution ?

I don´t so think so - on their HDO4000 and 6000 series they got 12 bit PLUS 3bit eres.

( And it makes less sense...we got a 6034 and the difference between no eres and eres +3bit were not so obviously as before (older lecroy models, siglent 1000X-E models)

You may have noticed SDS3000 (not X) is no longer on the Siglent website so the LeCroy version (WS3000) will need be supported from LeCroy directly.

The waverunner 3000 (without "z") was also "vanished" from the LeCroy site….makes me nervous.
Actual they´re two "hard bugs" in the 3000 series, noticed since beginning of 2018 and still wasn´t solved.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf