Author Topic: features / price of HP3314A  (Read 3825 times)

Offline jberikTopic starter

features / price of HP3314A
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:05:50 pm »
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if there is anyone, who is using HP3314A function generator?  What are its pros and cons? 
What about the price of this unit? I got a chance to buy a used HP3314A for about 265 USD. Is this reasonable price?
Thank you

The following users thanked this post: xzswq21

Offline wn1fju

• Frequent Contributor
Re: features / price of HP3314A
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 02:13:01 pm »
The HP 3314A is one of my favorite function generators from the 1980s.  It does the usual sine, triangle and pulse waveforms to 20 MHz, although the triangle linearity can be a bit off at the upper frequency limit.  Has variable symmetry, DC offset, AM/FM/VCO modulation, bursts waveforms, and on and on.  What sets it apart from many others is the ability to "program" arbitrary waveforms.  The programming takes some getting used to since you basically have to enter a slope and time duration for each segment.  HP made an early version and a late version, the latter distinguished by a rocker on/off switch and the soft, "non-click" front panel buttons.  HP also made a x3 output option which is nice (Option 001).  The price you quoted is nothing special - I've seen them for much more and much less on eBay.  But, at your price, I would insist on a working unit with return policy.  I've bought a couple of broken ones over the years and fixed them.  There are a couple of unobtanium HP hybrid ICs, but the rest is fixable.  The pass transistors in the P/S can be problematic because HP used cheap-ass sockets (an easy fix).  Lots and lots of these units were produced and I'm sure you can find dozens of opinions on the web.

The following users thanked this post: xzswq21

Offline daveyk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 02:32:46 pm »
Resurrecting and old topic here. Hopefully you are still around.

I rescued an HP3314A from the junk pile.  I don't think it is repairable. 
Error codes E30 and E34. 
No output.
Q2 and Q10 were shorted on output board. 
With output board removed and in NO CAL mode, it is not generating signals on the A1 (Main Analog/RF Board).  I took the shield off and tried to follow the trouble shooting diagram.  U101 has an epoxy welt on it near pins 28/29.  I am not sure if that is just a drop of epoxy from the manufacturing process or if it formed when the part burnt.  I am guessing the latter.

That U101 is probably an unobtainium part.

You mentioned that you fixed a couple of these?

If I don't take and put this back in the hazardous waste bin at work (where I found it), than I have to figure a way to get rid of it.  It's a shame, it is from a lab environment and hardly a scratch on it and it looks brand new inside.  Is it worth keeping for parts or should I toss it back in that bin?  I would love to have t working and  fixed.

Help and thoughts appreciates.

Dave

Offline tecman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 10:20:16 pm »
You can find a better deal on ebay for a 3314.  Average is around $ 150

paul

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf