Author Topic: Feel bad about my Siglent purchase  (Read 7966 times)

Offline LootMasterTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Feel bad about my Siglent purchase
« on: October 18, 2020, 05:50:23 am »
So I bought myself an SDS2352X-E + the MSO option. Its super frikkin late by 2 weeks.

Now I see that some of you A-holes are hacking your SDS2354X from a cheap ass SDS2104X.

I feel offended honestly, that there was not a SDS2354X-E. Cheap economical version.

Why don't you guys just come out and say, heres guaranteed hack for 350 MHz unlocking SDS2104X. Sorry for being sneaky.

I feel bad that my money did not go as high as it could have gotten, seeing that some of you hack without remorse for law as if it did not matter.

Is Siglent gonna give me something free? :rant:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:59:02 am by LootMaster »

• Regular Contributor
Re: Feel bad about my Siglent purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 06:18:21 am »
Tautech?

I'm angry...

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 06:34:24 am »
So you bought something without doing prior research?

Possibility of hacks is one of the first thing I lookup when evaluating my options.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: uski, Jacon

Offline VooDust

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 06:47:58 am »
It is hard for beginners. E.g. the used market is flooded with gear at atrocious prices. Only later you realize there's the Rigol DS1054Z, hacked to 350MHz, at a laughable price. Why isn't this higher up there?

Don't be too hard on you.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 07:26:18 am »
thats why google first before buy, today is online shopping with ratings and reviews... pride will lead to regret, regret will lead to suffering, suffering will lead to hate, hate will lead to anger :P
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 07:36:35 am »
Can somebody please delete this topic, title and troll....

The following users thanked this post: uski, MadTux, blueskull, Qw3rtzuiop, newbrain, Jacon, Simon_RL

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 07:42:54 am »

Uh, let me think about it.

Well the whole hacking thing depends. It's up to you to do your research. I bought a rigol scope for myself and hacked it. I rarely use it so it's not like I was going to spend more money for functionality I may not use when I do use my scope. On the other hand I made my employer buy the same model but I did not hack it, they can bloody well pay the right price as a business that makes money out of the work and it would void warranty.

No one will come knocking on your door forewarning you about something you are going to buy without even knowing your are going to buy it.

Basically Grow up!

Can't you return it?

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Jacon

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 07:49:23 am »
Well deserved ...  :clap:  :-DD

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 08:02:23 am »

Uh, let me think about it.

Well the whole hacking thing depends. It's up to you to do your research. I bought a rigol scope for myself and hacked it. I rarely use it so it's not like I was going to spend more money for functionality I may not use when I do use my scope. On the other hand I made my employer buy the same model but I did not hack it, they can bloody well pay the right price as a business that makes money out of the work and it would void warranty.

No one will come knocking on your door forewarning you about something you are going to buy without even knowing your are going to buy it.

Basically Grow up!

Can't you return it?

Pretty much exactly the same here, practically all of my kit i've hacked weather it be keycodes just to unlock whatever for the hell of it or customized firmware.  Now that said, do i expect a warrantee after i modded them? Hell no.. you hack gear, your warrantee is rightfully void (technically some do get away with this if they completely blow up their unit(s) but if the oem finds out.. well forget it)

Now for Simon's second point, I do have a fortune level employer.. they have spent easily 100x the amount I have for my own gear based on my own recommendations.  This is a key reason siglent, rigol, and others ignore hobbyists screwing around with their own kit.  They know full well it will net them more money in the long run.  No business in its right mind, especially ones that are ISO or government inspected, will be using hacked gear.  Main reason?  Valid calibration procedures are required that can be chained back to the NIST, a fair bit of the time that means you are sending a unit back to the mfg.  This is also another good money making opportunity selling after sale services.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 08:08:16 am »
We don't calibrate ours, they bought it because I wrote a blunt email explaining that I was not willing to bring my new scope in having just had the last one that cost me even more fail on me and it spent more time at work than with me. I won't give them anything for free in terms of screwing a supplier, they want the kit, they can pay for it. Plus I don't want to be blamed if there are issues as then it would be "well if you had told us for the sum of £100 we would have got the better model with warranty" when I know they would not have when confronted with two prices. 50MHz is fine when all you are doing is looking at a few kHz of PWM.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 08:15:37 am »
So I bought myself an SDS2352X-E + the MSO option. Its super frikkin late by 2 weeks.

Now I see that some of you A-holes are hacking your SDS2354X from a cheap ass SDS2104X.

I feel offended honestly, that there was not a SDS2354X-E. Cheap economical version.

Why don't you guys just come out and say, heres guaranteed hack for 350 MHz unlocking SDS2104X. Sorry for being sneaky.

I feel bad that my money did not go as high as it could have gotten, seeing that some of you hack without remorse for law as if it did not matter.

Is Siglent gonna give me something free? :rant:
:wtf:
Tautech?
Ya wat ?
I'm angry...
:-//
No PM in my inbox asking for advice......hello, am I a mind reader, really ?

SDS2352X-E is a nice little scope, it really is and its little bro the SDS2202X-E can be convinced to think it is one too.  ;)

IMO they were never to release a SDS2354X-E as the cooling challenges for 2x 2GSa/s ADC's and another 28 Mpts memory was to be too much of a challenge in this small form factor whereas not so much for the SDS1104/1204X-E.
Really when you get up there to 300+ MHz you're heading above entry level DSO's to where the SDS2000X Plus range is targeted and they're instrument in an entirely different class with analog capability not just to 350 MHz but 500 MHz !

Don't feel bad about a SDS2352X-E if it meets your needs and BTW it comes with quite nice 350 MHz rated probes.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 09:00:23 am »
Tautech?
Ya wat ?
I'm angry...
:-//
No PM in my inbox asking for advice......hello, am I a mind reader, really ?

Tautech is known to be friendly when someone queries on Siglent, pretty sure he will entertain wholeheartedly, even thru PM.  :-+

In this case, its laziness, even just asking in forum or thru PM, and also itchy finger on clicking the buy button.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: iXod

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 09:10:14 am »
Only later you realize there's the Rigol DS1054Z, hacked to 350MHz, at a laughable price. Why isn't this higher up there?

Please, not this BS once again!

Tautech is known to be friendly when someone queries on Siglent

And friendlier when someone queries on other brands.    ;)  :-DD
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:14:42 am by tv84 »

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, maginnovision

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 11:46:21 am »
We don't calibrate ours, they bought it because I wrote a blunt email explaining that I was not willing to bring my new scope in having just had the last one that cost me even more fail on me and it spent more time at work than with me. I won't give them anything for free in terms of screwing a supplier, they want the kit, they can pay for it. Plus I don't want to be blamed if there are issues as then it would be "well if you had told us for the sum of £100 we would have got the better model with warranty" when I know they would not have when confronted with two prices. 50MHz is fine when all you are doing is looking at a few kHz of PWM.

Yeah, 98% of the time im in the same boat..  hard to justify a lot of bandwidth less you are actually using it.  We got kit in our production line that does automated testing, its prod so it gets calibrated.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 11:49:48 am »
Only later you realize there's the Rigol DS1054Z, hacked to 350MHz, at a laughable price. Why isn't this higher up there?

Tautech is known to be friendly when someone queries on Siglent

And friendlier when someone queries on other brands.    ;)  :-DD

Tautech in action..   :P

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, tautech, uski, Fungus, RoGeorge, Jacon, bicycleguy, jlo

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 12:59:18 pm »

Yeah, 98% of the time im in the same boat..  hard to justify a lot of bandwidth less you are actually using it.  We got kit in our production line that does automated testing, its prod so it gets calibrated.

For end of line testing I got them to buy a USB picoscope because I can save the setup and tell them to just launch that and they can look at the test procedure and compare the picture to what they are getting as it's the same V/div, s/div and the same measurements come up on the screen.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 01:11:50 pm »
Well, some people spend lots of money a few years ago for computers you can find in the trash nowadays.
Why couldn't these evil people trash their 'puters any sooner, would have saved me lots of money ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The following users thanked this post: tv84, Jacon, VooDust

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 01:05:14 am »
Hey...

Heres the big ???

SDS2104X Plus with a little side job. 1399$ USD

or

SDS2352X-E + MSO options and no little side job. 1277$ USD

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2020, 01:24:09 am »
Only later you realize there's the Rigol DS1054Z, hacked to 350MHz, at a laughable price.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2020, 04:10:53 am »

When you buying cheap version to hack it. There is a big chance, that you will get worse result than original unhacked version.

Just because any factory has quality control check. And when some device doesn't pass quality check due to a slightly out of spec parameters they can sell it as lower grade version.

So, hacked SDS2104X is not equals to original SDS2354X from a factory. The difference is hidden in hardware frontend (ADC, amplifiers, etc). At a glance it looks exactly the same, because it running the same software. But they are not. Because low grade model may use worse components quality (factory rejected)

It may use exactly the same chip as a top-level device model, but it was rejected on the factory due to a little worse parameters. Both chips may be from the same package, with the same part number. Both can meet chip specification. But cheap model will have a little worse parameters.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:16:34 am by radiolistener »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2020, 04:15:12 am »
So, hacked SDS2104X is not equals to original SDS2354X from a factory. The difference is hidden in hardware frontend (ADC, amplifiers, etc). At a glance it looks exactly the same, because it running the same software. But they are not. Because low grade model may use worse components quality (factory rejected)
This would be true if they did not sell you unlock key to later unlock the higher end features.
Alex

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2020, 04:17:15 am »
I was about to tell you what Alex just said above...

Isnt it obvious? That its not the case?

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2020, 04:22:41 am »

When you buying cheap version to hack it. There is a big chance, that you will get worse result than original unhacked version.

Just because any factory has quality control check. And when some device doesn't pass quality check due to a slightly out of spec parameters they can sell it as lower grade version.

It may use exactly the same chip as a top-level device model, but it was rejected on the factory due to a little worse parameters. Both chips may be from the same package, with the same part number. Both can meet chip specification. But cheap model will have a little worse parameters.

This is not true when the manufacturer offers the bandwidth upgrade option themselves for all the scopes of a given series, including upgrading the lowest tier model to the highest bandwidth version.
I don't know about Siglent but Rigol definitely offers this capability.

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2020, 04:27:05 am »
This is not true when the manufacturer offers the bandwidth upgrade option themselves for all the scopes of a given series, including upgrading the lowest tier model to the highest bandwidth version.

I don't know about Siglent X-E models. But for Siglent X models they installed hardware capacitor to limit bandwidth. So there is no way to unlock higher bandwidth with no desoldering capacitor in the RF frontend. You can unlock it in software with unofficial patch, but anyway it will be limited by hardware frontend and you will need hardware mod to unlock it completely.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:30:59 am by radiolistener »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2020, 04:29:40 am »

I don't know about Siglent X-E models. But for Siglent X models they installed hardware capacitor to limit bandwidth. So there is no way to unlock higher bandwidth with no desoldering capacitor in the RF frontend.

WTF??

I thought I understood otherwise, WTF?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf