Author Topic: Feel medium about my Siglent purchase  (Read 1678 times)

Offline jjoonathanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Feel medium about my Siglent purchase
« on: October 19, 2020, 08:35:47 pm »
I bought a SDG6022X. It's pretty good. Does the job. Hackable. Runs a bit hot, though. Hopefully it doesn't bake itself in warranty + 1 year. Spurious performance is unexpectedly good. Max amplitude falls off quicker than I might have hoped, though. Decent bit of kit, I guess.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, uski, TurboTom, I wanted a rude username, jlo, LootMaster

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
Re: Feel medium about my Siglent purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 08:45:06 pm »
Yes, the hardware is quite decent and capable but the firmware leaves still a lot to be desired. The whole U/I deserves a revision with some focus on the touch screen. Basically, it's the same U/I of the smaller AWGs of the family, the SDG1000X and SDG2000X.  I think, the 2000X is the "sweet spot", considering the performance for money you get. Price- and spec-wise, the SDG6000X clearly plays in the professional field but doesn't match regarding reliability and dependability. It's a shame Siglent takes so long to fix the reported bugs...

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 09:08:35 pm »
Agreed. My previous arb was a SDG2042X, which I'd agree was the value sweet spot, but in any case when I bought the SDG6022X my expectations were well-calibrated. I needed a few extra MHz, PRBS with controllable edges, and no migration fuss. That's exactly what I got. The limited I/Q generation software, limited modulation bandwidth, and cramped GUI leave no doubt that it's an overextension of the low-end platform, but hackability makes up for that. Between the tradeoffs and long updates it clearly serves a small niche, but I'm also in that niche. I made this thread as a joke but it's also exactly how I feel. Shrug.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 09:08:40 pm »
Yes, the hardware is quite decent and capable but the firmware leaves still a lot to be desired. The whole U/I deserves a revision with some focus on the touch screen. Basically, it's the same U/I of the smaller AWGs of the family, the SDG1000X and SDG2000X.  I think, the 2000X is the "sweet spot", considering the performance for money you get. Price- and spec-wise, the SDG6000X clearly plays in the professional field but doesn't match regarding reliability and dependability. It's a shame Siglent takes so long to fix the reported bugs...

I own the 2k, can confirm.. and same reasons I dont own the 6k and is still a hole to plug

Wonder when they will refresh the line.. i might get one then

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 09:09:54 pm »
I bought a SDG6022X. It's pretty good. Does the job. Hackable. Runs a bit hot, though. Hopefully it doesn't bake itself in warranty + 1 year. Spurious performance is unexpectedly good. Max amplitude falls off quicker than I might have hoped, though. Decent bit of kit, I guess.
:-//
Didn't you read the amplitude vs frequency specs in the datasheet ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 09:16:52 pm »
I don't feel nothing. Is it because I haven't purchased a Siglent?  ::)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Gandalf_Sr, jjoonathan, 2N3055, Elasia, jlo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 09:17:05 pm »
Yeah. The specs in the datasheet fall off a bit quicker than I might have hoped, just like the actual performance. I don't actually need the amplitude, though, so it's all a big shrug. I feel pretty medium about it.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 09:26:04 pm »
Yeah. The specs in the datasheet fall off a bit quicker than I might have hoped, just like the actual performance.
So it meets spec then ?  :phew:
I don't actually need the amplitude, though, so it's all a big shrug. I feel pretty medium about it.
That's more about the physics of parts in the BOM and their capability.
IIRC there was some discussion about the reduced specs at high frequency when these came out and it was as good or better than competitors at that time.
High slew rates at high frequency is not easy to accomplish.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 10:04:26 pm »
I don't feel nothing. Is it because I haven't purchased a Siglent?  ::)
That is better than feeling bad. I bought 2 pieces of Siglent gear and felt bad about both.  Actually I'm happy I got rid of my last piece of Siglent gear a couple of days ago. Good riddance.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 10:12:32 pm »
Hey now, this is the medium thread. We can't be having any of that negativity in here. Or positivity. Only indifference.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tv84, 2N3055, wolfy007, Johnny B Good, AVGresponding, jlo, duckduck

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 12:50:17 am »
Can 87.5% join in this medium thread?

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 12:51:31 am »
Honestly though, I like my Siglent scope.  For quick check of this and that, can't beat that AUTO button that most of the times, it's spot on.  A mind reader button...

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 04:39:52 am »
People in a few years are going to see this thread and wonder WTF happened  :-DD

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 05:27:14 am »
See?  There is this thing called Covid-19.  It messed with people's MIND....   ^-^

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 06:28:10 pm »
Can 87.5% join in this medium thread?

Quite easily, if you tweak the scales on the binomial distribution curve
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf