Author Topic: Canadian test equipment import fees?  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Canadian test equipment import fees?
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2020, 11:55:48 am »
PS: No 8-bit oscilloscope will come anywhere close to the cheapest 16-bit PC sound card for bode plots or FFTs in the audio range.

Can a cheapie sound card reproduce sweeps and good looking waves?

Yes. (it has inputs and outputs)

Is there SW to do that?

Yes.

eg. This is free: https://www.nutsvolts.com/magazine/article/turn-your-computers-sound-card-into-a-scope

How far up in freq can it achieve?

That depends on the sound card, but "audio range".
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 12:48:06 pm by Fungus »

Offline GTATopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Canadian test equipment import fees?
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2020, 03:11:23 pm »
Apparently you've forgotten to figure the current value of the CAD at ¾ of a USD and neglecting shipping when arguing that it's super expensive here.

$490 CAD, delivered, landed, taxes paid for an entry level scope in Canada is a bargain.

Pick what model you want and just buy it instead of lamenting the fact that our dollar isn't above par right now.
Yes, it's a bargain at less than CAD$500 and I've just added it to my list. I'm currently doing some research on it as some say it is performs better that the 1054Z and it has separate chan controls, better FFT, has CAN/LIN, etc. And it's apparently hack-able to 100MHz.

Even though I'm still a little concerned about the warranty aspect of it, it's now a contender again, LOL! This may not be a concern if these are well made and has a good track record. I'll spend some time this weekend to check read this forum on the quality of the GDS1054B.

UPDATE: I've pulled the trigger on the Instek as it seems like it's capable of what I need without breaking the bank. Time will tell but many on this forum don't really fault it's performance for the price, except for it's lack of grey-scaling and segmented memory. And I got the EEVBlog discount to boot - Thanks Tequipment!

I hope the BW hack still works on this, not that I really need to do it. As long as it's an option.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 01:55:27 pm by GTA »
It's all mind over matter. But if you don't have a mind, then it really doesn't matter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf