Author Topic: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator  (Read 549688 times)

bdivi and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator
« Reply #2100 on: October 02, 2019, 12:23:33 am »
Ive been using version 5.8 of the Feeltech software , and so far find Fremens 0.8 is unusable with a 'run time error 380'
invalid property value, V 0.7 is usable but just for the basic channel functions .
That is strange, I have no problems sending waveforms to the FY6600 with the software …
The waveform file reading and editing  is a part that I did not change in the PC Software at the moment. This is still the orignal code and it might not be stable. I may have a look at it if needed.
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2101 on: October 02, 2019, 01:27:48 am »
The logic in the logic controls is an interesting question , seeing how its done in other popular equipment is definately a good way forward ,

Theres a question that came up before about the software catching up to changes via  the front panel , V0.7 had the update button , would it be possible for the FP to be programmed to send an equivalent update signal to the pc everytime  a value had been altered locally , it would  make sure two remotely located  opperators are reading the same true values from the instrument at all times .

0.8 Im not sure why its unstable . I'll look again tommorrow 

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2102 on: October 02, 2019, 09:17:03 am »
Hi fremen67 , the stand-by button is not working and the red led is allways on . I don't think I have shorts , the voltage on the microcontroller pin go to GND when the I press the button so it seems fine .

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2103 on: October 02, 2019, 11:50:23 am »
Hi fremen67 , the stand-by button is not working and the red led is allways on . I don't think I have shorts , the voltage on the microcontroller pin go to GND when the I press the button so it seems fine .

If you are interrested in testing the front panel version, I can post it. In the current version there is no buzzer, no soft power off and some views are still to be finished (configuration and system). Except from the GUI, the behaviour is the same as the bluepill version.

Correct, no buzzer neither at the moment.
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2104 on: October 02, 2019, 12:13:52 pm »
Fremen did warn us  both those functions remained missing from the firmware in an earlier post Cdaniel,

One thing Ive noticed on the unit with the flashed Fp code was what seems to be the sine displays corrupted both on the FP display and in software ,I'll have a closer look this afternoon .

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2105 on: October 02, 2019, 12:36:28 pm »
Theres a question that came up before about the software catching up to changes via  the front panel , V0.7 had the update button , would it be possible for the FP to be programmed to send an equivalent update signal to the pc everytime  a value had been altered locally , it would  make sure two remotely located  opperators are reading the same true values from the instrument at all times .
The refresh button is always there but moved to the configuration tab.
Synchronization is indeed an interresting subject.
The communication protocol is defined in a way that the FP only answers to external requests. This simplifies the protocol handling as from the PC side, your are only listening to the COM port after having sent a request. If you receive unsolicited data when waiting for a specific answer this would lead to false com errors, unless adding complexity to the protocol.

But yes the FP could have a flag available that the PC would read indicating that something that is interresting for the PC has changed.
Something that changes in the FP is not necessarily interesting for the PC (depending on the tab you are viewing, some changes may be relevant, others not), so that means extra coding in the FP. That also means extra load on the communication, extra load on the FP CPU.
The effort might not be worth the result. That is why I ended with the refresh button.
You are talkink about "two remotely located  opperators" but in the real life I guess this would be you and yourself  ;)
Before releasing the 0.8 PC software I was about to remove definitely the refresh button and replace it with a refresh on tab change. It is already the case for the calibration parameters or the configuration parameters that are read when you open the corresponding tab. If you want to force a refresh, you would change tab and come back. I think this is what I will finally do in the next release.

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2106 on: October 02, 2019, 12:46:47 pm »
One thing Ive noticed on the unit with the flashed Fp code was what seems to be the sine displays corrupted both on the FP display and in software ,I'll have a closer look this afternoon .

The corrupted sine bug is always present in the FY6600. I had it also with the new front panel so I think it might be in the FPGA code.
This is the sine wave itself in the flash eeprom that looses some points for whatever reason. It happened to me once and I just reflashed the eeprom. If your sine wave is really broken and if you don't have a way to flash the eeprom, I will add a function to the PC Software to refresh it.
The best way to know is to connect your FY6600 to a scope.

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2107 on: October 03, 2019, 01:09:23 am »
Find attached a sine wave created with the modified PC Software 0.8.
This is the original FT format.
You can download it to a standard FY6600 or a modified FY6600 with PC Software 0.8.

Thanks fremen67! So the secret was to rename it to .FY.
Just for fun, I made a DCF77 out of the FY6600. I have a radio controlled wall clock from when I was an European citizen.
Sure it doesn't sync in Canada so I wanted to play a bit.
I prepared an arbitrary waveform according to the DCF77 specs and I modulate a 77.5 carrier on CH1 with the arbitrary wave from CH2.
It works like a charm. I haven't seen that solid antenna sign in a looooong time. It tries to sync every ten minutes before the hour and then it gives up.
I'm thinking of making a transmitter that has a GPS receiver as a precision clock.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:19:06 am by Miti »
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2108 on: October 04, 2019, 07:48:44 pm »
Hi Miti - would you mind posting that Ch2 waveform you made?  I've got a weather station that hasn't been able to get a time fix from DCF77 for years, and it should help me do a quick diagnosis as to whether it's a receiver fault or just an antenna problem.  It will save me having to do a manual time correction every three months if I can fix it :).

Regards,
Dave

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2109 on: October 05, 2019, 01:24:29 am »
Hi Miti - would you mind posting that Ch2 waveform you made?  I've got a weather station that hasn't been able to get a time fix from DCF77 for years, and it should help me do a quick diagnosis as to whether it's a receiver fault or just an antenna problem.  It will save me having to do a manual time correction every three months if I can fix it :).

Regards,
Dave

I should have done it two days ago. I've attached it in the original post.
CH1 77.5KHz, 10V, CH2 3.66mHz (yes, mili Hz), 1V, MOD AM, Source CH2 with the arbitrary waveform, Mod-Rate 180%. You can try ASK as well.

Edit: ASK doesn't work, you may need different levels.
Edit1: It starts with 20:50 CEST Wed 02 Oct 2019 and it goes up to 20:53. It starts 20:54 but doesn't finish it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:42:15 am by Miti »
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2110 on: October 05, 2019, 03:16:10 am »
Well, I've given Fremen's control software a good thrashing over the last two weeks and, functionally, it has stood up very well.  Bugs were very few:

1. Run-time error 384 followed by crash if you try to minimise the window to the taskbar.

2. Run-time error 380 when trying to start software when FY6600 is already running (not every time, but persistent when it happens).  Program starts, but fails to open COM port and shows extreme values in parameter boxes.  Only cure is to close both program and FY600, then restart program followed by startup of FY6600 and manual instigation of comms.  *** SEE BELOW ***

3. Run-time error 6 in Calibration, if out of range number is entered into "Ch1 L:0.5 Min" box (eg accidentally enter a +ve number).  The value is saved, but the program shuts down when the message box is closed.

Every feature was tested for operation and works as it should (as far as I can tell, anyway);  the only shortcut I took was to only partially test Ch2 with some random settings.  Sweeps using VCO input were tested using an FY6800 feeding the VCO of the FY6600 (and kept me amused for hours watching the results on the scope).

The main improvements needed are now to the usability of the control software, some cosmetic, and some to the data entry method.

1.  After seeing that popup box appear a thousand times when entering a new parameter, I would just love to see direct entry into the value boxes enabled!  If the popup has to stay, then a bigger, bolder font is required to ease eyestrain.

2.  Can a shortcut method of number entry be implemented, eg 50m instead of 50000000, 10.7m instead of 10700000, and 455k instead of 455000?  Besides being difficult to read and decipher long strings of zeros, I think I'm getting RSI from bashing the zero key!

3.  Remove all Chinglish from labels and popups, such as "Forth&Back" in the Sweep - Direction label (which strangely changes to the more usual Back&Forth once the Source has been changed to VCO and back to Time).  As Forth, Back, and Back&Forth are not really descriptive of what happens in most of the sweep modes, "Increasing", "Decreasing" and "Alternating" may be better general terms.  (Or Rising, Falling, Alternating ?)  In the Waveform Window, the "Reset Waveform" button doesn't really describe what it does, ie "Clear Waveform" or "Erase Waveform", and the popup it opens is a good example of Chinglish gobbledegook, when it really means "Are you sure?  Unsaved data will be lost."

4.  Calibration window - it would be preferable if the first data entry popup opens as soon as the item buttons are pressed, as it's too easy to look away from the screen after clicking on a button and enter the first value from the DVM, only to then find that the popup window hasn't been open...   Again, direct entry would be preferable to the popup.

5.  Move the Waveform and Text windows to the RHS, so that the most used windows (Control and Configuration) are in their "natural" positions at the left?

6.  Provision for naming uploaded waveform slots something other than "RandomXX" would be very good to have.  How do you know what you put in Slot 51 a couple of weeks after the upload, let alone six months later?

*** This actually happened again while I was writing this tome, but this time it wasn't recoverable after an hour of trying different things.  The only way back this time was a full bluepill erase and reprogram.  The full error message showed "Invalid parameter value", and was there even after a simple reprogramming without erasure, so the problem appears to be corruption of the data storage area in the STM32 chip.  The first time it happened was after I'd closed the software and turned off the boxes, although they were still connected to the PC which was left running overnight doing other things; the problem occurred the next day, for no apparent reason, when I turned the boxes and software back on again for another session but, as stated earlier, I managed to get everything up again pretty quickly and worked for several more hours without a hitch.  This time I'd pressed "Send Data" in the Waveform Window when there was only a blank waveform on screen; wondering if I'd accidentally overwritten the factory sine wave in Slot 1, I went back to the Control Window to check, and error 380 appeared again.  (Which reminds me - that "Send Data" button needs a confirmation popup along the lines of "Ensure selected Loading Area is correct.  Send / Cancel" to stop accidental overwriting of uploaded waveforms.)

I think soundtec said he'd been struck by the same, or similar, error just a few days ago, but I don't know if he's overcome it yet.  I'll keep playing with the software to see if I can find any clues as to what might be happening.

Regards,
Dave
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 03:26:05 am by DaveR »

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2111 on: October 05, 2019, 03:23:25 am »

I should have done it two days ago. I've attached it in the original post.

Cheers, Miti!

Dave

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2112 on: October 05, 2019, 01:35:03 pm »
Thanks for that Dave ,
Yeah its very similar to the issue Ive had , like you I found it best to run up the software before the machines connected ,then manually select the com after . I did get a couple of lock ups on both software and the Generator ,but a power down and back up of FY and restart of the software cleared the problem  .
Without any software connected I find the FY to work fairly well , its putting out the waves or functions its supposed to do.

One thing I found a bit superfluous was the menu within menu , so for instance say you have a choice of two variables , Trig or counter input , instead of source button toggling trig/counter  you have to go down  another menu level to select between two variables ,
I think multiple presses to cycle through the options is better and easier than another layer of submenu  ,

I must reflash my on-board Stm32 , I'll be more carefull this time , Ive a feeling there could have been a grounding issue between the computer and the FY6600 last time ,a ground loop and hum I think could upset the flashing of memory , I'll run the laptop off batteries only this time when I run the update . 
Maybe screening both the ST link  and the FY6600 in a biscuit tin for the duration of the update might be a plan too .

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2113 on: October 05, 2019, 01:52:10 pm »
No issues flashing the microcontroller ... you should do it with the face off , so the power is only from programmer .

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2114 on: October 05, 2019, 02:35:12 pm »
Hi soundtec - it's possible that Run-time error 380 is covering two different types of problem: the minor one which we've both had and found a workaround for, and the major one I had last night.  Although recovery from that isn't that big a deal once you know what's happened, it's not something you'd want to happen regularly, as you lose all your saved setups and calibration details each time.  It would be prudent to take a screenshot of your calibration figures so that they can be quickly re-entered without needing the DVM every time.

Regards,
Dave

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2115 on: October 05, 2019, 04:33:14 pm »
Well, I've given Fremen's control software a good thrashing over the last two weeks and, functionally, it has stood up very well.  Bugs were very few:

1. Run-time error 384 followed by crash if you try to minimise the window to the taskbar.

2. Run-time error 380 when trying to start software when FY6600 is already running (not every time, but persistent when it happens).  Program starts, but fails to open COM port and shows extreme values in parameter boxes.  Only cure is to close both program and FY600, then restart program followed by startup of FY6600 and manual instigation of comms.  *** SEE BELOW ***

3. Run-time error 6 in Calibration, if out of range number is entered into "Ch1 L:0.5 Min" box (eg accidentally enter a +ve number).  The value is saved, but the program shuts down when the message box is closed.

Every feature was tested for operation and works as it should (as far as I can tell, anyway);  the only shortcut I took was to only partially test Ch2 with some random settings.  Sweeps using VCO input were tested using an FY6800 feeding the VCO of the FY6600 (and kept me amused for hours watching the results on the scope).

The main improvements needed are now to the usability of the control software, some cosmetic, and some to the data entry method.

1.  After seeing that popup box appear a thousand times when entering a new parameter, I would just love to see direct entry into the value boxes enabled!  If the popup has to stay, then a bigger, bolder font is required to ease eyestrain.

2.  Can a shortcut method of number entry be implemented, eg 50m instead of 50000000, 10.7m instead of 10700000, and 455k instead of 455000?  Besides being difficult to read and decipher long strings of zeros, I think I'm getting RSI from bashing the zero key!

3.  Remove all Chinglish from labels and popups, such as "Forth&Back" in the Sweep - Direction label (which strangely changes to the more usual Back&Forth once the Source has been changed to VCO and back to Time).  As Forth, Back, and Back&Forth are not really descriptive of what happens in most of the sweep modes, "Increasing", "Decreasing" and "Alternating" may be better general terms.  (Or Rising, Falling, Alternating ?)  In the Waveform Window, the "Reset Waveform" button doesn't really describe what it does, ie "Clear Waveform" or "Erase Waveform", and the popup it opens is a good example of Chinglish gobbledegook, when it really means "Are you sure?  Unsaved data will be lost."

4.  Calibration window - it would be preferable if the first data entry popup opens as soon as the item buttons are pressed, as it's too easy to look away from the screen after clicking on a button and enter the first value from the DVM, only to then find that the popup window hasn't been open...   Again, direct entry would be preferable to the popup.

5.  Move the Waveform and Text windows to the RHS, so that the most used windows (Control and Configuration) are in their "natural" positions at the left?

6.  Provision for naming uploaded waveform slots something other than "RandomXX" would be very good to have.  How do you know what you put in Slot 51 a couple of weeks after the upload, let alone six months later?

*** This actually happened again while I was writing this tome, but this time it wasn't recoverable after an hour of trying different things.  The only way back this time was a full bluepill erase and reprogram.  The full error message showed "Invalid parameter value", and was there even after a simple reprogramming without erasure, so the problem appears to be corruption of the data storage area in the STM32 chip.  The first time it happened was after I'd closed the software and turned off the boxes, although they were still connected to the PC which was left running overnight doing other things; the problem occurred the next day, for no apparent reason, when I turned the boxes and software back on again for another session but, as stated earlier, I managed to get everything up again pretty quickly and worked for several more hours without a hitch.  This time I'd pressed "Send Data" in the Waveform Window when there was only a blank waveform on screen; wondering if I'd accidentally overwritten the factory sine wave in Slot 1, I went back to the Control Window to check, and error 380 appeared again.  (Which reminds me - that "Send Data" button needs a confirmation popup along the lines of "Ensure selected Loading Area is correct.  Send / Cancel" to stop accidental overwriting of uploaded waveforms.)

I think soundtec said he'd been struck by the same, or similar, error just a few days ago, but I don't know if he's overcome it yet.  I'll keep playing with the software to see if I can find any clues as to what might be happening.

Regards,
Dave

Thank you Dave for the feedback.

As you may have guessed, there are 2 projects in development: the front end or  bluepill project and the PC Software modification project. The first one was the main goal, the second one was of course induced by the first one. When I started the front end project (without LCD display), I had to find a way to send commands to the MCU, hence the use of the Feeltech PC software for which they published sources and the protocol. I did not realized that this second project will consume so much time. In fact module after module, I rewrote about 80% of the original code.
The code that has yet to be improved/rewrite is the code behind the 2 left tabs (wave management, in which I just added a new protocol for wave transfer with new FP) and the code related to the COM port handling (which I started to simplify before releasing v0.8 but which is still in progress).
The main problem I see with this PC Software is that it is written in VB6, which is obsolete for years now. It won't run on linux platforms and regarding GUI possibilities, the less that can be said is that it looks quite old and limited now).
So at some point, a new PC interface will have to be written with another tool. That should not be a problem with the current project as a starting point plus the extended protocol description. So my goal with this modified PC Software is to have a tool that works with all the new FP functionalities, which won't crach, but I won't have time to improve a lot the GUI.

I will investigate the 3 crash problems you reported.
The only problem related to the bluepill firmware seems to be linked to the data storage in the STM32 MCU. In fact there are no real eeprom in the MCU and the data that needs to be stored is stored in code pages. This happens when you save a specific configuration but also in case of a power off to save the current configuration. When the voltage drops under a limit, an interrupt is triggered which calls a backup procedure.
Did you activated the last startup configuration option before it happens? Should you reproduced the problem, could you back up the whole MCU before erasing it? It should allow me to detect which parameter caused the problem. I suppose that the MCU crashed at started when loading the last configuration parameters. I will also add extra checks to detect potential problems.

All the improvements you are listing on the PC Software would be indeed worth having. I wil try to improve the GUI for the next release. It is just a matter of time ;-)

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2116 on: October 05, 2019, 04:55:44 pm »
Thanks for that Dave ,
Yeah its very similar to the issue Ive had , like you I found it best to run up the software before the machines connected ,then manually select the com after . I did get a couple of lock ups on both software and the Generator ,but a power down and back up of FY and restart of the software cleared the problem  .
Without any software connected I find the FY to work fairly well , its putting out the waves or functions its supposed to do.

Thank you Soundtec for the feedback. I will spend some time to improve the robustness of the PC Software.

One thing I found a bit superfluous was the menu within menu , so for instance say you have a choice of two variables , Trig or counter input , instead of source button toggling trig/counter  you have to go down  another menu level to select between two variables ,
I think multiple presses to cycle through the options is better and easier than another layer of submenu  ,
You don't have to go into submenus to modify the list values. It is only usefull when you have a lot of choices in the list as it allows you do directly select the one you want.
The intended way of choosing a list value when you are in edit mode is either to use Right or Left Arrow or Encoder + or -. It will show the next or previous possible choice.
With encoder you can go very fast.
Do you also don't like this way too?

I must reflash my on-board Stm32 , I'll be more carefull this time , Ive a feeling there could have been a grounding issue between the computer and the FY6600 last time ,a ground loop and hum I think could upset the flashing of memory , I'll run the laptop off batteries only this time when I run the update . 
Maybe screening both the ST link  and the FY6600 in a biscuit tin for the duration of the update might be a plan too .

Should you have the problem where the FP don't start, before re-flashing the MCU, could you make a full backup? And also tell me what is shown on the LCD?

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2117 on: October 05, 2019, 06:19:21 pm »

This should be an easy and quick modification. But what should I use?
There are 3 modes for sweeping:
Mode 1: goes from start value to end value,
Mode 2: goes from end value to start value,
Mode 3: goes from start value to end value then come back from end value to start value

If your start value is lower than your end value, than "increasing" or "Rising" might be confusing for Mode 1 as it will in fact decrease the value…
Other ideas for the 3 modes?

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2118 on: October 05, 2019, 07:16:52 pm »
Did you activated the last startup configuration option before it happens? Should you reproduced the problem, could you back up the whole MCU before erasing it? It should allow me to detect which parameter caused the problem. I suppose that the MCU crashed at started when loading the last configuration parameters. I will also add extra checks to detect potential problems.

Hi Fremen.  I'm pretty sure I was running with M1 enabled, and I certainly had another saved config in M2.  The problem when error 380 strikes is that the parameters mostly go back to their defaults (or some improbable value such as -1 sec sweep time) or are blank.  Although you can change tabs, the screens themselves are completely frozen, so any chance you might have had of correcting an obviously incorrect parameter is gone - one of my first thoughts was to load one of the saved configurations, but there was no way to do it.  The Startup configuration on the Config page had also changed back to "Default" and likewise couldn't be changed again.  I wish I'd thought to take some screenshots, as they might have been of use to you.  After deciding that the nuclear option was the only way left, I unzipped a fresh copy of the 0.8.hex file and did a memory comparison against it before I erased the MCU, and the ST-LINK Utility found no differences, so it was obvious that the program code itself hadn't been damaged.  I can't see any option to make a full chip backup, but presumably I could download the pages used for data storage if I knew their start address and size (if ST-Link will allow it)?  If you let me know where to look I'll see if I can save the contents next time it happens.  (I could have used another bluepill last night and retained all the evidence, as it happens, but it was after 3am and my brain was slowing down!)

Regards,
Dave

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2119 on: October 05, 2019, 07:30:54 pm »
This should be an easy and quick modification. But what should I use?
There are 3 modes for sweeping:
Mode 1: goes from start value to end value,
Mode 2: goes from end value to start value,
Mode 3: goes from start value to end value then come back from end value to start value

If your start value is lower than your end value, than "increasing" or "Rising" might be confusing for Mode 1 as it will in fact decrease the value…
Other ideas for the 3 modes?

Yes, that is a conundrum!  Perhaps if the Start and End value boxes were also relabelled "Start (Low) Value" and "End (High) Value", or just "Low Value" and "High Value" that would dissuade perverse-minded users from doing things in an unnatural way?  ^-^

Regards,
Dave

Edit:  How about "Low Limit" and High Limit" for the value boxes?  That should make the intent pretty well foolproof, I'd have thought.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 07:50:30 pm by DaveR »

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2120 on: October 05, 2019, 08:49:05 pm »

Hi Fremen.  I'm pretty sure I was running with M1 enabled, and I certainly had another saved config in M2.  The problem when error 380 strikes is that the parameters mostly go back to their defaults (or some improbable value such as -1 sec sweep time) or are blank.  Although you can change tabs, the screens themselves are completely frozen, so any chance you might have had of correcting an obviously incorrect parameter is gone - one of my first thoughts was to load one of the saved configurations, but there was no way to do it.  The Startup configuration on the Config page had also changed back to "Default" and likewise couldn't be changed again.  I wish I'd thought to take some screenshots, as they might have been of use to you.  After deciding that the nuclear option was the only way left, I unzipped a fresh copy of the 0.8.hex file and did a memory comparison against it before I erased the MCU, and the ST-LINK Utility found no differences, so it was obvious that the program code itself hadn't been damaged.  I can't see any option to make a full chip backup, but presumably I could download the pages used for data storage if I knew their start address and size (if ST-Link will allow it)?  If you let me know where to look I'll see if I can save the contents next time it happens.  (I could have used another bluepill last night and retained all the evidence, as it happens, but it was after 3am and my brain was slowing down!)

Regards,
Dave
The easiest is to save the full content of the MCU.
You enter a size of 0x20000, right click on Device Memory tab and "save to file" as .hex file

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2121 on: October 05, 2019, 09:10:35 pm »

I just tried to create Error 380, and managed it first time!  The procedure is as follows:

Start with working software and FY6600, change some values and save the configuration (I started with defaults and set Ch1 to 10MHz sine wave at 3.5v ampl., and Ch2 to 20MHz sine wave at 5v, then saved the config to M2).  Ensure "Last" is checked in Config window.

Go to the Waveform window and press "Reset Waveform" then "Send Data".  The program will try to send something somewhere, then put up a message saying "No answer from generator".
At this point the software will now be completely unresponsive and may have to be forcibly closed using Task Manager.

Restart the software and Error 380 will pop up.  The Control and Config windows should look something like the attached (as you can see, the Control window is nothing like it should be).  Tonight the Control window is frozen solid, but the buttons in the Config window can still be "pressed", even though they don't do anything.

I've also got a bluepill which will probably contain some corrupted data (if I can get to it), although the ST-Link utility again shows nothing wrong with the program in memory. (But you can now easily create some corruption of own.)

Regards,
Dave

** Edit:  Hex Dump added. **
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 09:17:38 pm by DaveR »

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2122 on: October 05, 2019, 09:24:19 pm »
The easiest is to save the full content of the MCU.
You enter a size of 0x20000, right click on Device Memory tab and "save to file" as .hex file

Added to attachments in previous message!

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2123 on: October 05, 2019, 11:58:05 pm »

I just tried to create Error 380, and managed it first time!  The procedure is as follows:

Start with working software and FY6600, change some values and save the configuration (I started with defaults and set Ch1 to 10MHz sine wave at 3.5v ampl., and Ch2 to 20MHz sine wave at 5v, then saved the config to M2).  Ensure "Last" is checked in Config window.

Go to the Waveform window and press "Reset Waveform" then "Send Data".  The program will try to send something somewhere, then put up a message saying "No answer from generator".
At this point the software will now be completely unresponsive and may have to be forcibly closed using Task Manager.

Restart the software and Error 380 will pop up.  The Control and Config windows should look something like the attached (as you can see, the Control window is nothing like it should be).  Tonight the Control window is frozen solid, but the buttons in the Config window can still be "pressed", even though they don't do anything.

I've also got a bluepill which will probably contain some corrupted data (if I can get to it), although the ST-Link utility again shows nothing wrong with the program in memory. (But you can now easily create some corruption of own.)

Regards,
Dave

** Edit:  Hex Dump added. **
Thank you Dave for the backup  :-+

My development machine for the PC Software is a Virtual Machine running Windows XP as I need VB6 studio which does not run under Windows 10. With this machine I can't reproduce your problem.
When I run PC Software 0.8 directly from my host machine which is Windows 10, I get the error message "No answer from generator" when downloading any waveform, then I have to kill the program with the task manager and restart the function generator but it does not corrupt the flash memory from the MCU... I will see tomorrow with my Logic Analyser what is going on with Win10.

I loaded my bluepill with your backup and also got the error 380. Some data in the flash is corrupted in M1 (sweep data on CH1 and CH2). I don't know yet if it is related to the wave transfer which failed or if it happened when you saved the config to M2. As you had to restart the bluepill after that, it loaded corrupted data from M1 to current parameters …. and PC Software obviously did not liked it. As you have no keyboard nor LCD connected to your bluepill, you can't correct the values directly in the bluepill and your only solution is to reflash the bluepill.
The good news is that I can easily modify PC Software to deal with incorrect values, I can also modify the firmware to check the values coming from the flash at startup.
The question remaining is how did the flash get corrupted ?
Could you try again the exact same procedure after having reflashed the bluepill?
Also could you check the voltage on your bluepill power supply input?

Thank you again!

Edit: In M1 I can see CH1 with 10Mhz and 3.5V, CH2 with 20Mhz but amplitude is not 5V but 2.5V … if you are sure for the 5V, that is an interesting information.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 12:03:51 am by fremen67 »

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2124 on: October 06, 2019, 01:29:21 am »
Hi Fremen - new hex dump as requested, and BP input voltage (from FY6600) is 4.945v, rock steady.  This time the software didn't freeze as it did before, and I could close it down normally, but it still gave Error 380 when it was restarted, and the Control window was corrupted.  This time, though, it allowed me to enter new values for the frequencies of the two channels - but no matter what I put in the popup, the number shown in the value boxes was always 20000000 on both channels!  Subsequent restarts of the software, however, show the attached Control window, in which drop-downs can be changed but all values are frozen.   It looks as if the effects of the corruption may vary randomly, even if the cause is the same.

The 2.5v shown for Ch2 in M1 is probably correct, thinking about it - I set it to 5v initially and saved the setup to M2, then changed it to 2.5v so that the config saved in M1 would be different.  At least, that's definitely what I did this time, and almost certainly what I did previously (so probably not as good a lead as you first thought?).

I'm running 64bit Win7, by the way, just to add another variable into the equation.

If you want any more tests doing, it won't be a problem, but they'll have to wait until tomorrow, as I'm off to try and catch up on some sleep :)

Regards,
Dave
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:29:02 am by DaveR »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf