Author Topic: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator  (Read 555264 times)

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
Re: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator
« Reply #325 on: December 19, 2017, 03:30:27 pm »
I scavenged a 3 prong from a dead PC PS which allowed me to keep the original switch.  The downside was a bunch of fiddle to fit a scrap of the PS case as reinforcement for the back panel.

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #326 on: December 19, 2017, 03:48:14 pm »
Similar. But I did at least put some insulation for anti-touch.
Because I suspect I may be busy inside the device more then outside it  :P

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #327 on: December 19, 2017, 05:02:24 pm »
Yeah.  But mine borked itself before I got the screws back in the case.  I'd run it for a few hours on the bench with a scope and counter hooked up looking at various signals., particularly the ground to ground voltage.  Turned it off and went to bed.  Next day the UI was buggered.  So not much incentive to complete the task until I get a new front panel.

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #328 on: December 19, 2017, 07:08:49 pm »
Changing the A.C. connector on the back of the FY6600 from a 2-wire to a 3-wire is a very good idea but I don’t see an advantage to getting a connecter/filter. Almost every SMPS has a built-in filter so adding another one wouldn’t hurt but I see no benefit. Even the crappy existing SMPS that came with the FY6600 has a capacitor across the input and a common mode dual inductor in series with the A.C. line and that would probably be acceptable but if you replace the crappy SMPS with a good one it will have a filter that probably would be identical to the Mouser LCR-082 that was mentioned.

Here is a schematic of a generalized SMPS showing a typical built-in line filter with the Mouser filter as an insert to show how alike they are. All the SMPSs I tried had a well-designed input filter like the ones shown as well as inductors in the output lines for additional filtering.

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #329 on: December 19, 2017, 07:20:33 pm »
Indeed, you can see that filter on the photo's above: the black/copper colored horizontal coil on the left, above the yellow capacitor, and to the right of the white connector.

I did add a ferrite beat myself, because I had them anyway, and also I was fighting noise on my scope at that time.

(Turned out to be the 1200x300 office LED panel attached to the ceiling. Weird, because that was not a china purchase but an expensive one bought from a professional office outfitter. just goes to show: if you pay a lot, you may still get the Chinese crap, just someone else has a big margin for putting on a label)

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #330 on: December 19, 2017, 08:20:21 pm »
Cybermaus, your story about the overhead LED lighting causing interference reminds me of a slightly off topic story that is somewhat the same. A guy I met while hiking the Appalachian Trail and I would see each other every few years at some of the yearly hiker gatherings. He had lost his right arm above the elbow many years before and had a hook for his right hand. He was so adept at using the hook that he could open pop-top beverage cans with ease. Once when we were at one of these events sitting around enjoying an adult beverage he told me about how he had been involved with some of the early experiments on using nerve impulses to control a more natural looking robotic arm. He told me that one of the problems the designers ran into on the early prototypes was that when he would walk under a florescent light fixture that the RFI from the light would cause the robotic arm to go crazy and lurch uncontrollably.  Some shielding of the arm electronics cured that unforeseen problem. I still smile when I visualize him walking under a light.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #331 on: December 19, 2017, 08:23:04 pm »
If everything goes OK, this guy will be able to fit in (kindly please confirm it for me, if anyone has an open case), and I trust more its medical device and test instruments rated filter and the dual pole switch, if I've seen correctly the original switch only breaks one wire, and I have a feeling that I'll be busy inside as well and it's not impossible that I'll replace the original PS:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/355/FN%209264-1036108.pdf looking at the 1A version: FN 9264-xx-1-06-y

On the other side, I think I've really scared my distributor, because I've told them that if I got one with a bad firmware they will suffer a lot, and I think they wait for a new lot with updated firmware. Or of course they are just rectums.

Finally I'm thinking of replacing the back panel with a piece of nicely anodized aluminum, do you think it's a good idea ?

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #332 on: December 20, 2017, 05:44:42 am »
Hey, look what I've found thid morning in my Inbox (chinglish spelling and grammar unaltered):

Dear customer,
Hope you rae doing fine.
Thank you for your question.
Okay. Sure. The item owns the latest 3.2 version.
Have great day
Best regards

So did anyone ever see this elusive 3.2 firmware version, should I go for it ?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #333 on: December 20, 2017, 06:12:28 am »
From the Factory on the 4th of November "The latest firmware of the instrument is version 4.2 ."

Also

"DC deviations can only be corrected by updating firmware. " which as per an earlier post of mine isn't quite correct. What I suspect they mean is we have a rough stab at the trimpots then correct it in software.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:14:18 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #334 on: December 20, 2017, 06:25:39 am »
Really, this is actually from Feeltech  :wtf: ?!?!?

Bloody hell, as Lucifer said,  time to have a serious conversation with those guys :box:, thanks for sharing.

So about the DC bias, it's actually stable but it has an offset against the programmed value that needs to be compensated in SW, or it drifts away while operating ?

Thanks,
 DC1MC

From the Factory on the 4th of November "The latest firmware of the instrument is version 4.2 ."

Also

"DC deviations can only be corrected by updating firmware. " which as per an earlier post of mine isn't quite correct. What I suspect they mean is we have a rough stab at the trimpots then correct it in software.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #335 on: December 20, 2017, 06:34:00 am »
Since I sorted the bias it has stayed close to what it was set at allowing for tempco etc.... Certainly a lot better than when I got it.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #336 on: December 20, 2017, 06:44:50 am »
Counter reply form the distributor:

"Hope you are doing fine.

Oh, sorry. The factory staff said the device embraces 3.2 firmware version, and it's the latest version at present.
Hope you could udnerstand that.

Have a great day
Best regards"

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #337 on: December 20, 2017, 07:07:19 am »
Well someone is in error then  ::)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #338 on: December 20, 2017, 07:15:30 am »
The plot thickens, I've send them the picture (and also made myself an inquiry to Feeltech), and reminding them about warranty law in Germany (they'll have to support the costs of updating), let's see what comes out of it.  Maybe dome price decrease  >:D.

Thanks a lot,
 DC1MC

Well someone is in error then  ::)

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #339 on: December 20, 2017, 08:15:55 am »
Could be a simple typo. 3 vs 4 would make them both claim 3.2. I hope you are not under the impression a lot of effort and care went into that email.
I would find 3.2 more believable then 4.2, as everyone else in seemed to have gotten 2.9; 3.0; 3.1 devices

Of course, I would not recommend buying the device anyway. Not rewarding Feeltech until they do some actual warranty repairs rather then promising them.
Mine is still working, but every time I turn it on I worry.

Offline jleg

• Contributor
« Reply #340 on: December 20, 2017, 11:55:16 am »
I'd also say this is a typo - 3.2 seems to be confirmed from various sides, and i never heard from a 4.x version...

Btw, Feeltech requested my seller's name/address, because they "will help me to handle it". What ever that means, it does not sound like "we'll send a new front panel"...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #341 on: December 20, 2017, 11:59:09 am »
The plot thickens, I've send them the picture (and also made myself an inquiry to Feeltech), and reminding them about warranty law in Germany (they'll have to support the costs of updating), let's see what comes out of it.  Maybe dome price decrease  >:D.

Thanks a lot,
 DC1MC
Why would Feeltech be bound to German warranty laws?

Offline Diabolo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #342 on: December 20, 2017, 12:20:04 pm »
Hello,

Have customs taxes been paid ?

Diabolo

Offline khach

• Contributor
« Reply #343 on: December 20, 2017, 12:55:48 pm »
I that any hardware difference between 60MHz,50 MHz, 30 MHz and 15 MHz version of  FY6600? Is low frequency version upgradable by hack  to  high frequency version?

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #344 on: December 20, 2017, 08:08:52 pm »

Why would Feeltech be bound to German warranty laws?
[/quote]

Feeltech couldn't give a rat behind about German warranty laws, the seller of the device on the other side does, because it sells this stuff form inside Germany, with VAT and invoice.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #345 on: December 20, 2017, 08:10:40 pm »
Most certain is a typo, but I wanted to have them admit that they will support the upgrade expenses if it's not the right version (I have doubts that is even 3.2), we'll see.

Could be a simple typo. 3 vs 4 would make them both claim 3.2. I hope you are not under the impression a lot of effort and care went into that email.
I would find 3.2 more believable then 4.2, as everyone else in seemed to have gotten 2.9; 3.0; 3.1 devices

Of course, I would not recommend buying the device anyway. Not rewarding Feeltech until they do some actual warranty repairs rather then promising them.
Mine is still working, but every time I turn it on I worry.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #346 on: December 20, 2017, 08:13:04 pm »
I that any hardware difference between 60MHz,50 MHz, 30 MHz and 15 MHz version of  FY6600? Is low frequency version upgradable by hack  to  high frequency version?

Could be, but now the price difference is that small that it's not worth the effort to lose the warranty (the firmware isn't fully stable yet) and hack it for ca. 18-20EUR gain.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #347 on: December 20, 2017, 08:14:12 pm »
Huh ?!?! What are trying to say here ?

Hello,

Have customs taxes been paid ?

Diabolo

Offline Chris56000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #348 on: December 26, 2017, 05:46:48 pm »
Hi!

Has anybody tried modernising their FY6600 with one of these:–

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Multi-channel-Linear-DC-Power-Supply-Module-3-3V-5V-12V-Adjustable-Output/262612931341?hash=item3d24f3530d:g:ZgYAAOSw8oFXz3Vu

Are they capable of supplying the necessary power requirements of the unit? I'm thinking of replacing the cheap and horrible SMPSU with one of these linear modules with the advantage of transformer isolation!

Chris Williams
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #349 on: December 26, 2017, 05:50:06 pm »
Hi!

Has anybody tried modernising their FY6600 with one of these:–

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Multi-channel-Linear-DC-Power-Supply-Module-3-3V-5V-12V-Adjustable-Output/262612931341?hash=item3d24f3530d:g:ZgYAAOSw8oFXz3Vu

Are they capable of supplying the necessary power requirements of the unit? I'm thinking of replacing the cheap and horrible SMPSU with one of these linear modules with the advantage of transformer isolation!

Chris Williams
I think you'd have to ask yourself whether you really want to hook up an unmarked and unknown Chinese power supply to mains.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf