Author Topic: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator  (Read 549292 times)

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
Re: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator
« Reply #750 on: February 12, 2018, 07:48:17 pm »
Sending  all parameters on any change is a good idea.  It makes the FPGA code much simpler.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #751 on: February 12, 2018, 07:49:20 pm »
Sending  all parameters on any change is a good idea.  It makes the FPGA code much simpler.

FOUR times ?!?!?

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #752 on: February 12, 2018, 09:26:45 pm »
I was looking at the front panel pic up close and personal and thinking ,damn that looks crummy ,but then I realised the outer protective plastic wasnt  peeled off yet . I'm half thinking a layer of something like 3M weatherproof clear tape over the buttons might be a good trick for longevity , Ive seen how those polycarbonate bubble switch membranes go after years and years and its not pretty. Course that could all be in vain if the thing ends up brain dead after two weeks . still no sign of my machine yet.......

Offline scott0999

« Reply #753 on: February 13, 2018, 03:10:05 pm »
I ordered one from eBay about 10 days ago and it came with 3.2.1 firmware

which seller on ebay?

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #754 on: February 14, 2018, 04:53:04 pm »
Creativeonline100

The following users thanked this post: scott0999

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #755 on: February 14, 2018, 09:08:36 pm »
Some updates on what’s going on.

1-The FPGA Module is finished for now.
2-The main Feeltech serial protocol functions are working :
- Waveform selection
- Frequence
- Amplitude
- Offset
- Phase
- Duty
- CH1/CH2 ON/OFF
- ARBs transfer
The others are foreseen but they will be added later on if/when needed.

3-I am now working on the main control module, including the Relays switching logic and output ranges limitations (Amp and Offset).
As soon as the basic functions are working (end of next week?), I will publish binaries for blue pills board. We will then be able to bypass the front panel and control the FG from the Feeltech PC Software interface. This interface would need some serious QA control but at least it already exists, every one can get it plus the source code is available).
This will allow everyone to test the new firmware without modifying the Front Panel. If it works well, I will then publish the first code source release. The cost of a blue pill board is very low, one just needs to get an ST-Link V2 to flash it (also very affordable).
I received today my second FY6600 (15MHz Model) so this will be my next dev board. Not sure for now if I will flash the FP directly or swap before the CPU with a CPU from one of my blue pills boards to have a spare…

4-Some other points in disorder :
- Reg 0x38 and 0x39 are used for rising/falling time of the square waveform (duty button)
- Need to study Square, CMOS, Adj-Pulse and DC which are handled differently than ARBs
- Sweep functions are handled partially by the FP which sends frequency setpoints in real time
- The blue pill source project should be able to compile with the free version of Keil µvision (8ko of program code/ 18ko of data now for my dev board which already includes some LCD library functions)
- Attached the software architecture I foresee for the moment
- I will open a new thread for the open source FP software as  it might polute this already long thread
- I will have one week off in 2 weeks, this might speed up things ;-)

I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

The following users thanked this post: skander36, Ebel0410, hlj.pycad

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #756 on: February 14, 2018, 09:10:08 pm »
@TopLoser: Would you be able to dump the flash memory? :)
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #757 on: February 14, 2018, 11:43:57 pm »
Tremendous work Fremen,
I think our project would have fallen on its ass without your expertise.
Maybe to get something back for your efforts you could consider offering pre programmed Stm32's .
Ill probably give the blue pill thing a go myself for the learning of it ,
Thanks again,

Offline DerKammi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #758 on: February 15, 2018, 07:00:22 am »
Fremen, what is great progress you made. Highly appreciated at the work you are doing. Thanks.

I would love to help you in the coding, but compared to you're speed and knowledge I'm not much of a help I'm afraid.

Since I also have a second unit but waiting on my ST-Link I would like to try out the code you made when possible.

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #759 on: February 15, 2018, 06:14:19 pm »
Great progress. Very promising.

While not at all urgent, please remember that one of the features of the FY6600 is the ports on the backside. So you may want to keep that in mind when designing the data-structures and things that you 'foresee' for the future.

I do not think anyone mentioned them in a while, or mapped out their SPI protocols.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #760 on: February 15, 2018, 07:48:38 pm »
The ports and the modulation stuff is interesting, starting this Sunday I can start contributing again, the Saturday is reserved for the signal generators run, but in the meantime @fremen67, if you have some capture for square wave settings or other interesting signals, please post them here, I'll love to get some eyes on them.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #761 on: February 15, 2018, 07:54:04 pm »
@TopLoser: Would you be able to dump the flash memory? :)

Sorry, I’ve already shipped it out to somebody. I just handled the buying and shipping for them, complicated story don’t ask!

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #762 on: February 16, 2018, 12:20:21 am »
Maybe to get something back for your efforts you could consider offering pre programmed Stm32's .
Thank you, that's kind of you but it has to remain free. A matter of principle  :)
Since I also have a second unit but waiting on my ST-Link I would like to try out the code you made when possible.
No problem. I will send you homework  ;)
While not at all urgent, please remember that one of the features of the FY6600 is the ports on the backside. So you may want to keep that in mind when designing the data-structures and things that you 'foresee' for the future.

I do not think anyone mentioned them in a while, or mapped out their SPI protocols.
Those functions are handeld directly by the FPGA as far as I know. I already documented all the related commands in my first pdf more than2 weeks ago  :P
@fremen67, if you have some capture for square wave settings or other interesting signals, please post them here, I'll love to get some eyes on them.
OK I will see what signal could be interresting to check.
Square / CMOS / Adj-Pulse and DC are now clear. They are defined with Reg 0x05 (see updated pdf)

@all of you: Thank you for your support and your kind words :)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #763 on: February 16, 2018, 05:37:07 am »
@fremen67: I have a small question, do we really need to change the parameters fully to change just one, or for example the frequency can be changed by just one register operation or register operation + reload registers trigger, so just 2 register write, I'm curious haw fast one can sweep the frequency/phase ?

Also, one more thanks for your excellent work  :clap:

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #764 on: February 16, 2018, 06:25:06 am »
For anyone having problems installing the FY6600 software and getting an error "Component ‘richtx32.ocx ‘ or one of its dependencies not correctly registered or a file is missing or invalid" here is the solution.
https://www.k6jm.com/hs-setupocx.htm.   
Retired Pulsed Power Engineer/Physicist...now I just dabble in electronics

Offline DerKammi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #765 on: February 16, 2018, 06:40:41 am »
ehhh, just a bit quick on the feature request possibly, but a request.

I saw in the reviews that when doing a sweep we have to use the VCO to generate a signal for having a sweep output and trigger slope. Can we make it so that we use CH2 as the trigger ramp while CH1 does the sweep. Then we don't need to have the back connections attached for a simple sweep.

No problem. I will send you homework  ;)

The better kind of homework in ages :)

Not sure how much room there is to spare on the free version of Keil, but I've been playing with my previous suggestion of Atollic TRUEstudio and this is actually a full grown tool with a huge amount of possibilities for free with no limit in code size. I'm not pushing anything what so ever but together with CubeMX you have a code wizard for the HAL which can init the DMA for the 2 SPI busses with a couple of clicks. I'm very impressed with it so far.

@all of you: Thank you for your support and your kind words :)

You're working hard enough, can't be thanked enough for in this topic.

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #766 on: February 16, 2018, 06:55:32 am »
Has anyone done a mod to improve the frequency stability?   My new unit FY6600 v3.2 has frequency jitter of about 5Hz at 10MHz.  My older JDS6600 is around 1/10 of that at 0.5Hz

Offline DerKammi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #767 on: February 16, 2018, 07:03:25 am »
Has anyone done a mod to improve the frequency stability?   My new unit FY6600 v3.2 has frequency jitter of about 5Hz at 10MHz.  My older JDS6600 is around 1/10 of that at 0.5Hz

Check these posts:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/feeltech-fy6600-60mhz-2-ch-vco-function-arbitrary-waveform-signal-generator/msg1346454/#msg1346454

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/feeltech-fy6600-60mhz-2-ch-vco-function-arbitrary-waveform-signal-generator/msg1389870/#msg1389870

I'm switching my osc for the Farnell 1611840   ASV-50.000MHZ-EJ-T -  Oscillator, 50 MHz, 20 ppm, SMD, 7mm x 5mm, 3.3 V, ASV Series. Not in need of that low jitter specs at this moment.

The following users thanked this post: Mozee, Insatman

Offline DerKammi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #768 on: February 16, 2018, 10:52:40 pm »
Slow goings on the schematics of the main PCB. Lot of parts needing drawing which takes up quite some time. But the start is there.

Got the FPGA part from Farnell, not sure about the pinning sorted by banks in the way they did. May need to rearrange that for a more clean schematic.

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #769 on: February 17, 2018, 04:14:54 am »
Slow goings on the schematics of the main PCB. Lot of parts needing drawing which takes up quite some time. But the start is there.

Got the FPGA part from Farnell, not sure about the pinning sorted by banks in the way they did. May need to rearrange that for a more clean schematic.

Nice work @Der Kammi  :clap:, my signal board has some very strange rework done with some blobs of solder in between the oscillator pins on top side  :scared:, I can't wait to see what is there actually.
In the end, the FY6600 may become the best FPGA development board for mixed signal development in its price range  >:D, so we have this for us  :-+

I'm traveling to Düsseldorf in 2h to get the Anritsu boat-anchor, but starting from next week I'll recontribute again (on Sunday I'll do the autopsy ;).

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline Ebel0410

• Contributor
« Reply #770 on: February 17, 2018, 08:59:55 am »

Nice first step on drawing down the schematic of the main board, it will be very usefull for all of us.
How can I help ?
I don't have much time to spent on that, however I think I could do something to help.
What sort of EDA are you using ? EasyEDA, Tinycad..

sheers
Eric
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 02:16:28 pm by Ebel0410 »

Offline DerKammi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #771 on: February 17, 2018, 01:19:34 pm »
@Ebel, the relais routing is a bit strange to me as the common contact looks weird up until now. If you can draw that out that would help me. A photo from a paper drawing is fine.

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #772 on: February 18, 2018, 02:28:27 am »

Has anyone drawn the power supply board schematic?

Offline Ebel0410

• Contributor
« Reply #773 on: February 18, 2018, 09:19:33 am »
Here it is.
I don't have double checked all the components values.

This schematic shows the upgraded version I made by myself (the new values are in red).
The stock values are also mentioned.

(edited)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:06:04 pm by Ebel0410 »

The following users thanked this post: Insatman, plb, DC1MC, DerKammi, Bob Sava

Offline DerKammi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #774 on: February 18, 2018, 03:57:41 pm »
Nice one Eric. No surprises in the PS division so to see. It couldn't be more skimpy on the regulation side :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf