Author Topic: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator  (Read 549221 times)

Offline AmysmithTopic starter

I looking very cheap FY6600 arbitrary waveform signal generator on ebay, the sine wave support 30Mhz, 50MHz, 60MHz on different models, and  arbitrary waveform to 10MHz.
with voltage control output function.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FeelTech-FY6600-2-CH-DDS-Function-Arbitrary-Waveform-Pulse-Signal-Generator-VCO-/263105160109?

Only 90.79 USD for 30HMz, so I'm thinking buying one.
Does anybody on this forum have experience with the FeelTech FY6600 function generator?

Who has bought this FY6600?
How accurate and reliable is it?

I will grateful for any suggestion from all. :-+ :-+ :-+

The following users thanked this post: xzswq21

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I guess this is a beefed up version of the older models. The price is pretty sweet though for a 60MHz function generator! I'm wondering what the TTL outputs can be used for. Digital pattern generation would be nice.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:39:56 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
Interesting unit. I see that, apart from the upper limit of the sine wave output, there appears to be no functional difference between the 30MHz unit and the 60MHz one (25MHz square wave and 10MHz for all others). Has AM/FM/ASK/PSK/FSK/VCO and AWG capability. Would be nice to see a comparison of this with the JDS unit.

My old analog Wavetek does AWG... you just have to hit it hard enough. Time for a new unit, I think.  ::)

PS: Here is the FY6600 Manual, in case anyone is interested: http://kenswu.zzvps.com/Function/Manual/FY6600%20Series%20Users%20Manual%20V2.2.pdf
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:58:28 am by don.r »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Has anyone checked what voltage(s) the internal power supply provides to the rest of the system? I am fairly interested in this model, but I have issues with using Chinese budget power supplies on mains. I am just not comfortable with that. Maybe that upgrading the power supply to something trustworthy could soothe my worries.

If there is no easy way to upgrade the power supply, I might order the competing JDS6600 instead. That uses a 5V plug-pack that is easily swapped for a trustworthy supply.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
There is already a teardown available on youtube:
https://youtu.be/LNBX3yrp5ps?t=1m43s
Test from the same guy:

IMO just the classic chinese plastic box with a minimal amount of electronics inside.

The following users thanked this post: Andreas, TheDane, Doofus, Marco1971

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Has anyone checked what voltage(s) the internal power supply provides to the rest of the system? I am fairly interested in this model, but I have issues with using Chinese budget power supplies on mains. I am just not comfortable with that. Maybe that upgrading the power supply to something trustworthy could soothe my worries.
I just noticed the mechanical switch on the back. The option to switch the unit off properly changes the proposition a little bit, as you can actually turn the supply completely off when you are not around. However, I would still rather see a plug-pack powered device.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor

If there is no easy way to upgrade the power supply, I might order the competing JDS6600 instead. That uses a 5V plug-pack that is easily swapped for a trustworthy supply.
Going by the teardown video, the PSU looks reasonable and fairly straightforward if you want to replace with your own. Its on its own separate board with lots of extra internal space. Looks like two, maybe three, different output voltages.

EDIT: Looking at the video its 6 lines, 2 X 5V, 2 X GND, 2 X 12V.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:17:31 am by don.r »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Good eye. I looked for markings on the main board, but missed the voltages on the power board.

Those are very convenient voltages. There are plenty of power supplies available with those, including ATX and other PC power supplies. The trick is to find one that fits neatly into that box.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
Good eye. I looked for markings on the main board, but missed the voltages on the power board.

Those are very convenient voltages. There are plenty of power supplies available with those, including ATX and other PC power supplies. The trick is to find one that fits neatly into that box.
Its only my speculation from what I could see on the video. I'll probably order one sooner rather than later and can post up a review... when it arrives.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
Is it just me that thinks  00'010.000'000'000KHz  is a horrible way to show 10kHz. Does it need to be shown to 1 millionth of a Hz ?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:47:13 am by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
If you hang a while, there will more then likely be another similar unit launched by another company in China (Minghe) that will do away the SMPS and its associated possibility of high voltages on the ground of the BNC and USB sockets by using a 5VDC wall wart to feed the unit.  Its smaller less powerful cousin 20Mhz or 25Mhz has been tested and people have noticed tingles when using them. I have a Minghe MHS-5200A that uses the 5vdc wall wart, no problems with that at all.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
If you hang a while, there will more then likely be another similar unit launched by another company in China (Minghe) that will do away the SMPS and its associated possibility of high voltages on the ground of the BNC and USB sockets by using a 5VDC wall wart to feed the unit.  Its smaller less powerful cousin 20Mhz or 25Mhz has been tested and people have noticed tingles when using them. I have a Minghe MHS-5200A that uses the 5vdc wall wart, no problems with that at all.

That's the JDS6600 which has the wall wart, already a thread or two on it in the forum. It appears to be 12 bit rather than 14 and have no modulation capabilities. The internal PSU on the FY6600 seems to have changed a little from the ones used in the FY3224S with at least the inclusion of an X-class cap. But its probably the crappy xformer leaking the AC onto the ground. I like the physical buttons on the JDS.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:47:23 pm by don.r »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Most wall-warts have capacitors connected to mains which results in half the mains voltage at the output so that isn't a solution. The best is to fit a ground outlet in the function generator.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
you also of course have the option of powering it from a battery pack if required.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Most wall-warts have capacitors connected to mains which results in half the mains voltage at the output so that isn't a solution. The best is to fit a ground outlet in the function generator.
This is where my lack of experience shows. You say a wall wart is not an adequate solution?

What would be needed to hook it up correctly and how would one go about it? Replacing the two prong socket and switch with a three prong fused socket should be doable. I know ground often is hooked up to the case or chassis of the device, but this case is plastic. How would you then hook the ground up internally? Is it as simple as connecting internal ground to the ground pin, so that the fuse box in your house can detect any difference between incoming and outgoing power?

That's the JDS6600 which has the wall wart, already a thread or two on it in the forum. It appears to be 12 bit rather than 14 and have no modulation capabilities. The internal PSU on the FY6600 seems to have changed a little from the ones used in the FY3224S with at least the inclusion of an X-class cap. But its probably the crappy xformer leaking the AC onto the ground. I like the physical buttons on the JDS.
Modulation is also what interests me about the Feeltech. I currently have no use for it, but if history is any indication, I will as soon as I purchase the device without it :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:18:50 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Like Nitco said most cheap and certainly the supplied wall wart with the unit I suspect will have the capacitor but you can get better ones that are multi-voltage out ones that normally have a linear power supply, they will be larger and heavier and considerably more expensive but should well worth it for the piece of mind alone.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Like Nitco said most cheap and certainly the supplied wall wart with the unit I suspect will have the capacitor but you can get better ones that are multi-voltage out ones that normally have a linear power supply, they will be larger and heavier and considerably more expensive but should well worth it for the piece of mind alone.
I thought he didn't consider it to be a solution because a wall wart leaves the device floating. Guess I was wrong :)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:55:13 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Although everybody is alluding to it, for the benefit of newer visitors, let me just recap why everybody is talking about the power supply. If you are just reading about them for the first time, the crucial unvarnished fact is that unmodified, the "ground" connection on the BNCs on the older FY32xx carry leakage voltages high enough not only to damage delicate components many times over, but also to present a shock hazard if somebody is sweaty or has wet hands, under some conditions.

But the big danger it presents is to chips, if its used ungrounded, which is fairly likely given its target market, electronics hobbyists.

So one has to be careful to always ground it - and perhaps even unplug it when it isn't in use.

How much more would it have cost them to do that right?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:49:28 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: PinheadBE, Housedad

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
Someone should mention that unmodified, the "ground" connection on the BNCs on he older FY32xx carry leakage voltages high enough to damage delicate components many times over, but at low current.

So one has to be careful to always ground it - by means of the shield of the BNCs on the back or similar, when its in use, and unplug it when it isn't.

How much more would it have cost them to do that right?

To be fair its a tough call. Sometimes you want a floating source. Linear supplies are more expensive and heavier (important when shipping from PRC). Something has to give at these prices.

The USB port could always be connected to a grounded source like a PC. The other thing you could do is add another Y class cap from the secondary negative to an external ground source and redirect the primary Y to this ground as well. Internal ground still floats and is isolated but AC has a path to PE.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
The leakage current problem is not so much about an internal or external (wall wart) power supply. It is more about switched mode power supply not using PE or a classical transformer. To meet EMI regulations a SMPS essentially needs the class y capacitor from the output to an RF ground. With a class II supply (using only 2 wires) there are usually 2 Y capacitors towards both sides of the supply and thus half the mains voltage when measured with a high impedance meter. This applies to the cheap internal supply and most SMPS based wall warts. Most instruments should survive the small voltage spikes of the 5 nF (or so) Y cap.

A way around this would be using a supply with a classical transformer or a SMPS with a third wire (PE). The PE connection could be used for a direct connection the GND (e.g. BNC) or just for the y capacitor. So ideally they would have 2 class Y caps from the power pin to warts a PE connection and then a 3rd y cap (and maybe a resistor in the M Ohms range) to the output.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
The leakage current problem is not so much about an internal or external (wall wart) power supply. It is more about switched mode power supply not using PE or a classical transformer. To meet EMI regulations a SMPS essentially needs the class y capacitor from the output to an RF ground. With a class II supply (using only 2 wires) there are usually 2 Y capacitors towards both sides of the supply and thus half the mains voltage when measured with a high impedance meter. This applies to the cheap internal supply and most SMPS based wall warts. Most instruments should survive the small voltage spikes of the 5 nF (or so) Y cap.

A way around this would be using a supply with a classical transformer or a SMPS with a third wire (PE). The PE connection could be used for a direct connection the GND (e.g. BNC) or just for the y capacitor. So ideally they would have 2 class Y caps from the power pin to warts a PE connection and then a 3rd y cap (and maybe a resistor in the M Ohms range) to the output.

Yes. This was my thought. A simple "fix" would be to change the power connector to an IEC and then add a Y cap (and maybe a high value resistor) from internal ground to PE. That should droip the leakage to very low levels. And if you don't need a floating output, just short the internal ground to PE.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
I found this power supply. Even though it is obviously switching and cheap, it does have a third prong and does come from a reputable source. I was suprised the shipping does not kill it either.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11296

So this is the one to get, aside from the ground concern? What is different about the 60M version?[/]

I might hack the case to install a 3-prong receptacle and set up a grounding circuit inside the unit since there is so much room.

Is there an English language review? Dave?
I am curious about the differences between the versions too and whether they are actually different, or just firmware limited.

Dave seems to be quite harsh on anything cheap and Chinese, so I do not expect a recommendation from him.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
I found this power supply. Even though it is obviously switching and cheap, it does have a third prong and does come from a reputable source. I was suprised the shipping does not kill it either.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11296

So this is the one to get, aside from the ground concern? What is different about the 60M version?[/]

I might hack the case to install a 3-prong receptacle and set up a grounding circuit inside the unit since there is so much room.

Is there an English language review? Dave?
I am curious about the differences between the versions too and whether they are actually different, or just firmware limited.

Dave seems to be quite harsh on anything cheap and Chinese, so I do not expect a recommendation from him.

One of the 12V lines might be negative like on the FY3200 series. Best get someone to confirm before ordering parts. Yeah, I don't expect any review from Dave. He concentrates on either the professional stuff or the "serious" home lab and I expect he would recommend a used unit of known quality before this one. Problem is that even the cheapest AWG's from brand names go for twice the price or more used and much more if you want more than 25MHz. I am looking to use the unit in a space limited setup as well and this is one of the smaller ones.

As for the differences, in the manual I can only see  the sine wave output as being different between the models. Everything else looks the same. Probably a firmware hack but then its only about $30 difference between the 15MHz and the 60MHz so hardly worth the time.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
I was wondering if you traded resolution for frequency or some other function. I did look at some of the used name brand and did notice how quick it gets expensive.
Same resolution of 1uHz across the board. The only other limitation is the 15MHz unit is restricted to a 15Mhz square as well as sine wave. I think the 30 or 50MHz units are the best value.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:03:13 pm by don.r »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf