Author Topic: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator  (Read 549286 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
I was wondering if you traded resolution for frequency or some other function. I did look at some of the used name brand and did notice how quick it gets expensive.
To some extent this might be true, I have the MHS 5200A version which is 25Mhz and if you look on here and you tube there are plenty of reports and reviews basically slagging it off as it having poor square waves at 25Mhz they say it looked more like sine waves, also stating that it claimed to be capable of 20Vpp but couldn't deliver etc. But in reality, checking the manual reveals the following:-
Sine wave is the only one to go the 25Mhz, all others, Sq, Saw Tooth and Arbitrary waves are up to 6Mhz. output is indeed 20Vpp on all waves up to 12Mhz and after it drops down to 15Vpp.

This I suspect is really a function of the limited supply coming from the built in SMPS, maybe replacing this with a linear power supply may lift this.

Is it really worth paying out for the second hand more well known and very expensive branded lab type of equipment for the average user? I would say, only if you really must have / require the extra functions / accuracy etc that these will provide, maybe if your using them in a business yes but if you're like me, just dabbling at home for the fun of it, then no.

You pay your money and takes your choice, at the end of the day, thats a decision only you can make, but personally, I'd check the manual and see if it can do what you need it to do and take it from there.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I was wondering if you traded resolution for frequency or some other function. I did look at some of the used name brand and did notice how quick it gets expensive.
To some extent this might be true, I have the MHS 5200A version which is 25Mhz and if you look on here and you tube there are plenty of reports and reviews basically slagging it off as it having poor square waves at 25Mhz they say it looked more like sine waves, also stating that it claimed to be capable of 20Vpp but couldn't deliver etc. But in reality, checking the manual reveals the following:-
Sine wave is the only one to go the 25Mhz, all others, Sq, Saw Tooth and Arbitrary waves are up to 6Mhz. output is indeed 20Vpp on all waves up to 12Mhz and after it drops down to 15Vpp.

This I suspect is really a function of the limited supply coming from the built in SMPS, maybe replacing this with a linear power supply may lift this.
No, what is limiting the the maximum output voltage is the slew rate of the amplifier stage driving the output. 20Vpp @12MHz is quite a lot already.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
I suppose if you occasionally needed a well-formed square wave, you could have the AWG drive an external Schmidt trigger.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
One of the limitations to this unit, suffered by many others I am sure, is that it supports a 20Vpp output only to 10MHz, then 10Vpp to 20MHz and then 5Vpp thereafter. As noted before, this is likely a limitation of the output amplifier. I would suggest buyers RTFM before purchase to know exactly the limitations here.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
One of the limitations to this unit, suffered by many others I am sure, is that it supports a 20Vpp output only to 10MHz, then 10Vpp to 20MHz and then 5Vpp thereafter. As noted before, this is likely a limitation of the output amplifier. I would suggest buyers RTFM before purchase to know exactly the limitations here.
That's common amongst these cheap units, but if it is properly and accurately specified, there is no problem.

Offline pi^2

My FY6600 BNC-ground to Earth-ground Voltage is 94 Volt.
Zing zing zing, not happy about it.
Will have a look for a cheap 30VA isolation transformer.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
That's what I was afraid of. I'm kind of glad I didn't pull the trigger on this one. With all the extra fiddling and hours measuring and fixing things involved, buying a 'real' unit isn't that much more expensive.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
Wouldn't have cost them more than a few cents to provide a PE supply.  |O

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
That's what I was afraid of. I'm kind of glad I didn't pull the trigger on this one. With all the extra fiddling and hours measuring and fixing things involved, buying a 'real' unit isn't that much more expensive.
I don't know what your hourly rate is but putting a IEC socket with earth in and connecting the earth to the 0V of the power supply takes about half an hour. I know many people like to turn this into a big project but that is not necessary at all.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:22:15 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
I don't know what your hourly rate is but putting a IEC socket with earth in and connecting the earth to the 0V of the power supply takes about half an hour. I know many people like to turn this into a big project but that is not necessary at all.
Just talking about it here has cost me more than half an hour, so that ship has sailed :D Doing research on the construction and parts that have to be ordered, the costs of the parts, putting the parts in and testing whether the problem has been adequately solved all add up. That's probably more than an evening of work. I tend to share your optimistic judgement of project times, and it somehow never seems to pan out.

Of course, it could be a nice project, but I have reached the point where I want to focus more on my actual projects, rather than every tool added becoming a project on its own just to save a few bucks.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
That's probably more than an evening of work. I tend to share your optimistic judgement of project times, and it somehow never seems to pan out.
Well I already upgraded a FY3000S series so I know it is half an hour of work. And what is difficult about ordering an IEC inlet and a piece of wire (if you don't have these already)?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:02:05 pm by nctnico »

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
That's probably more than an evening of work. I tend to share your optimistic judgement of project times, and it somehow never seems to pan out.
Well I already upgraded a FY3000S series so I know it is half an hour of work. And what is difficult about ordering an IEC inlet and a piece of wire (if you don't have these already)?

Did you use a Y cap or just a direct connection?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Did you use a Y cap or just a direct connection?
Direct connection. The Y cap is already in the power supply. The problem is the leakage current caused by the mains filter.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2017, 04:01:38 am »
English review up on youtube now. Highlights a few hidden bugs.

A little disappointed  that he doesn't give any overview of the VCO functions.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 04:04:39 am by don.r »

Offline sp2iqw

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2017, 10:37:51 am »
Few days I have ordered 30MHz version so now I'm waiting  :)

This genarator has very good price/performance ratio so it is hard to expect more in this price range.

Anyone know what is a freqency of an oscillator clocking the Cyclone IV FPGA ? No way to read it on a "a teardown" film available on Youtube (https://youtu.be/LNBX3yrp5ps?t=1m43s)
20ppm specification is rather low comparing to sub-1ppm TCXOs available on the market under 1$.  Of course in majority of apllications that's more than enough.

Michal

Offline feeltech

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2017, 12:52:11 am »
First of all, in the absence of the introduction of the ground wire of the two-wire plug of the switching power supply system will have such a situation.
In order to suppress common mode interference, the switching power supply in the design, the "safety capacitor" will be between the "LG / NG" (safety capacitor is used for such occasions, even if the capacitor fails, will not lead to electric shock,  so the secondary side of the switching power supply "ground" is equivalent to the midpoint of the AC voltage, so you measured 110V voltage. But this does not mean there will be security risks, after all, the capacitance capacity of only 1000pf.
If you are still worried about its leakage, then the correct way is to measure its DC leakage resistance, the use of insulation tester is the most effective way
FeelTech-Professional signal generator and liquid crystal solution
Provide custom development services!
Invites all agents to join us.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 12:56:02 am »
First of all...

Is this the "real" FeelTech?

Offline feeltech

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 01:07:09 am »
First of all...

Is this the "real" FeelTech?

Yes, we need to listen to all kinds of opinions or suggestions in order to make the product better.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2017, 03:33:49 am »
That's great! Welcome to the forum. :-+

Since you're here, if there is a way to update the firmware in the FY3224S, can you post that info in the FY3224S thread? Many have asked about it. Thanks!

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2017, 08:15:35 am »
First of all, in the absence of the introduction of the ground wire of the two-wire plug of the switching power supply system will have such a situation.
In order to suppress common mode interference, the switching power supply in the design, the "safety capacitor" will be between the "LG / NG" (safety capacitor is used for such occasions, even if the capacitor fails, will not lead to electric shock,  so the secondary side of the switching power supply "ground" is equivalent to the midpoint of the AC voltage, so you measured 110V voltage. But this does not mean there will be security risks, after all, the capacitance capacity of only 1000pf.
If you are still worried about its leakage, then the correct way is to measure its DC leakage resistance, the use of insulation tester is the most effective way
Test equipment should not have this problem. The leakage current is big enoug to destroy a circuit so it is very bad!

Offline feeltech

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2017, 08:49:53 am »
That's great! Welcome to the forum. :-+

Since you're here, if there is a way to update the firmware in the FY3224S, can you post that info in the FY3224S thread? Many have asked about it. Thanks!
There is no online upgrade function, if there is an error, can only contact the dealer to replace, we repair and upgrade, but FY6600 after the product we will add online upgrade function.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2017, 09:00:19 am »
Test equipment should not have this problem. The leakage current is big enoug to destroy a circuit so it is very bad!
For me, it is the reason not to buy the unit, along with not trusting no Chinese things on mains. If I can use my own plugpack or power supply, I'm game.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:37:44 am by Mr. Scram »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2017, 09:07:52 am »
For me, it is the reason not to buy the unit, along with not trusting no-Chinese things on mains. If I can use my own plugpack or power supply, I'm game.
-sigh- Your own plugpack will have the same problem if it is a switching one.  :palm: And it is probably made in China as well.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2017, 09:47:54 am »
-sigh- Your own plugpack will have the same problem if it is a switching one.  :palm: And it is probably made in China as well.
Note it's a two part remark. One is about not blowing your DUT up. That will not be solved by a switching plugpack, though picking the right power supply might. The second part is about not burning your house down, which, if I have to choose, is my biggest priority.

Also note the difference between "Chinese" and "made in China". The first denotes something designed, sold or made by an unknown Chinese company, with no local legal entity to address in case of trouble. The second includes products designed and sold by reputable companies that have much to lose in case of neglect. Buying a decent brand microwave and finding out it's made in China? Fine. Buying an unbranded mains to DC power supply off of eBay and actually using it? No, thank you kindly.

Offline inqubi

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2017, 07:45:49 pm »
Hi

I have just discovered this forum searching the web for any Feeltech support...

Ordered on eBay, my FY6600 has been delivered today and after checking its CD proved not to be properly burned. Could somebody be so kind and upload somewhere (any cyberlocker You like:  https://mega.nz  https://mediafire.com  http://catshare.net ....) zipped all its content ??

A link to uploaded CD, posted earlier in this thread is down now.

Many Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf