Author Topic: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator  (Read 549213 times)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
Re: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator
« Reply #425 on: January 01, 2018, 12:17:17 pm »
Hi Mark, and thanks for chiming in, I was getting a bit lonely here  :-\. So, YOU WILL NOT RETREAT, YOU WILL NOT GIVE UP, you hear me  :scared:.

Now is the chance to put that gear to good use and learn a bit in the process.

So first things first, just ignore the any pins besides 4 to 8.

We don't have a really simple SPI interface here, there are at lest two, maybe three devices, most likely one is the Winbond flash.

You see on my top post what the signals are, put MISO as well, and set the logic analyzer to trigger on combinations of pin 4 and 5 as CS or just pin 5 as  CS that seem to be always 0 when trasnfers are made.

And now get us some nice decoded data, my better half is calling for lunch, but I'll be back.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #426 on: January 01, 2018, 12:28:27 pm »
Those scope measurements look bad. You need to use better probing technique. Use very very short ground lead or make a 50ohm cable terminated properly at both ends.  Otherwise the waveforms will be full of crud. Probing high speed digital circuits ain't no easy...

Offline Chris56000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #427 on: January 01, 2018, 12:33:37 pm »
Hi!

One of these is within my monthly pocket money allowance – would it be worthwhile trying one on the FY6600?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Logic-100MHz-16Ch-Logic-Analyzer-16-Channel-Analyzer-for-ARM-FPGA/182821963784?epid=915703876&hash=item2a9109c808:g:OdwAAOSwLiJZ3YiF

Chris Williams
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #428 on: January 01, 2018, 12:51:19 pm »
Hi!

One of these is within my monthly pocket money allowance – would it be worthwhile trying one on the FY6600?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Logic-100MHz-16Ch-Logic-Analyzer-16-Channel-Analyzer-for-ARM-FPGA/182821963784?epid=915703876&hash=item2a9109c808:g:OdwAAOSwLiJZ3YiF

Chris Williams

From the Chinglish description it sounds OK, especially if it's supporting the original software somehow.

@Yansi: I double dare you to get better waveforms with this POS TBS1104 !!!

Offline g0mgx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #429 on: January 01, 2018, 12:51:43 pm »
I'm off to do some more research into this data format.

Mark

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #430 on: January 01, 2018, 12:56:53 pm »
I'm off to do some more research into this data format.

Mark

Mark, the pin 6 clock looks a bit strange to me, there should be 16 clock cycles and they are not, at least in the picture, can you switch your LA to state mode and sampe using pin 6 as clock ?

Offline g0mgx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #431 on: January 01, 2018, 01:19:49 pm »
Interesting

I can see and count 16 clock cycles on the 'scope but not on the LA.

I've just hooked the LA directly to my sig gen and it's good up to about 3MHz and then the capture becomes inaccurate above that.

Therefore this LA of mine is a load of https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dingo%27s%20Kidneys

Mark

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #432 on: January 01, 2018, 01:22:46 pm »
Yup, dingo kidney it is, same as my 4 channel scope  :rant:, but hopefully in state mode it will be able to clock with 18MHz, if not, you can safely discard it.

Offline g0mgx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #433 on: January 01, 2018, 01:34:12 pm »
I think it is related to USB connection speed so have some things to try.

Mark

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #434 on: January 01, 2018, 01:51:53 pm »
Yup, if the LA doesn't have a lot of local buffers, the samples will be lost in unattended sampling.
Better switch it to state mode and use SPI_SCK (pin 6) as sampling clock, at least the data will be correct.

Offline Chris56000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #435 on: January 01, 2018, 03:46:19 pm »
Hi!

From the Chinglish description it sounds OK, especially if it's supporting the original software somehow.

Fair enough - I'll try one and post what I get on here using it when it arrives!

Chris Willams
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline g0mgx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #436 on: January 01, 2018, 05:03:56 pm »
Better switch it to state mode and use SPI_SCK (pin 6) as sampling clock, at least the data will be correct.

I dont see any reference to "state mode" in PulseView - might it be called something else?

Installing a USB3 PCI card has improved things, but still I am missing samples at very repeatable intervals - looks like something else is occupying the PC at those times as the pulses being dropped now are evenly spaced. It is supposed to support up to 24MHz dependent on PC hardware and data transfer rates so there are more options for me to try.

I haven't given up yet (well not quite anyhow).

Mark

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #437 on: January 01, 2018, 05:17:40 pm »
Hi!

Chris Williams

Those are blatant copies of a Saleae product which sells for a lot more and of very high quality.  I've not investigated closely, but I *think* that Saleae has the source code available online.  It appears that their attitude is we're selling quality hardware at a fair price.  You can buy cheap knockoffs and use our software if you want.  When you get tired of the problems you'll want to buy one of ours.  It also works with Sigrok.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #438 on: January 01, 2018, 06:43:13 pm »

I dont see any reference to "state mode" in PulseView - might it be called something else?

Installing a USB3 PCI card has improved things, but still I am missing samples at very repeatable intervals - looks like something else is occupying the PC at those times as the pulses being dropped now are evenly spaced. It is supposed to support up to 24MHz dependent on PC hardware and data transfer rates so there are more options for me to try.

I haven't given up yet (well not quite anyhow).

Mark

OK, I had a look on this PulseView software, same unintuitive, clumsy interface (but hey, it's scriptable) and a complete lack of documentation, so to say a typical open source project.
So to summarize, your problem is that blindly sampling at the highest speed will not give anything anything besides digital garbage, because the you can't stream fast enough over USB at this clock.
So forget about it and don't do it anymore, it's useless.

Good, now from what I've seen from the abstraction aspies that build that clumsy unintuitive junk decided that the distinction between sample and state mode is not necessary (HP, Agilent and friends must be cretins to do it  :palm:) so no mention about it, BUUUT it seems that you can assign a signal to be used as a state clock, of course I had to google this, because it's not obvious.
So assign the Pin6 as the (state) clock and you should be able to collect some meaningful data, I would sample at rising edge.
Basically this way you just record the states and bits that are necessary and don't play an oscilloscope when it's not needed, the sampling feature is cool in many situations but not in this case.
If even after assigning the external clock, the LA can't save correctly over an USB 2.0 the short and anemic bitstream, then either throw away the hw or the sw.
Good luck and bring us some data to chew on  ;D

Offline cpposteve

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #439 on: January 01, 2018, 07:03:21 pm »
Partner bought me one of these for christmas as im currently trying to self teach my self electronics (have been for the past 20+ years) and looks to be ok for the beginner, was just wondering to myself today if there is any firmware updates for this, and a few seconds on google brings me this  :'(. anyway, really interesting reading this thread and to all those that are helping to get to the bottom of this keep up the good work.

steve

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #440 on: January 01, 2018, 07:32:18 pm »
Partner bought me one of these for christmas as im currently trying to self teach my self electronics (have been for the past 20+ years) and looks to be ok for the beginner, was just wondering to myself today if there is any firmware updates for this, and a few seconds on google brings me this  :'(. anyway, really interesting reading this thread and to all those that are helping to get to the bottom of this keep up the good work.

steve

Hi Steve and welcome to our merry gang  ;D, be yourself the change in the firmware, and if you want to train yourself in electronics (the practical side) now it's an excellent change to do it, select from the plate of goodies:

- Look higher in thread, practical examples on how to make the device electrical safe for other devices, replacing the power connector with a grounded one, changing the cabling and modifying the back pannel.
Skills needed: basic craftsmanship with a Dremmel tool and a file, some basic soldering skill, ability to follow simple instructions and pictures.

- Capture the schematic of the Power Supply (low skill), Front Panel (average skill) and Signal Board (advanced skill).
Skills needed: The ability to disassemble non-destructively an equipment, recognizing components, using a multimeter with a continuity beeper, using a schematic capture CAD program ( KiCAD, Circuit MAker, pirated version of Altium).

- Replace the miserable 16V electrolytic capacitors on +/- 12V rails in preparation for changing the power supply to a better one delivering stabilized +/- 15V.
Skills needed: Basic desoldering/soldering skill, a good soldering station and eventually a desoldering tool.

- Help the effort of decoding the communication protocol between the FB and SB, to be able to control the device with another software or board, for example an RPi. Also if the FW craps out, to get your calibration constants in a safe place.
Skills needed: Ability to work with a scope and logic analyzer, connecting over the signal cable in a movie hacke way :). Tools needed: a GOOD logic analyzer and a reasonable scope (this will be needed later).

- Help build a new, improved firmware for the front panel or for other MCU with a LCD, alternatively for a tablet, Android or IPAD
Skills needed: understanding the hardware and the control protocol, advanced programming capabilities for iOS or Android.

- Improve the Signal Board and signal quality, replace the power supply with a better one with stabilized outputs, eventually a linear one instead of the switching mode one, replace the output operational amplifiers, recalibrate the whole system while system while doing many measurements for at least 1024 calibration points, enter in flame fests about the spectrum analyzer settings and rubidium controlled reference clocks.
Skills needed: master analogue and digital hacker skills. Tools needed: Highly advanced Spectrum analyzer, GPS synchronized frequency reference, complex power meters with precise probes, highly advanced scope to measure the phase shift.

- Rebuild the FPGA programming based on the above acquired knowledge, discover neat trick to move the frequency for non sinus waveforms, shame the FeelTech Chinese programmers and become a forum luminary and mentor. Avoid and be anoyed about all the recruiters begging to hire you.
Skills needed: alpha level hacker in mixed mode devices. Serious deep theoretical and practical knowledge of the whole matter. Tools needed: cheap USB Blaster-2 and Quartus software over what you've aleady collected.

So you see that starting with this humble cheap generator can improve your electronics skill and advance you professionally a lot. You just have to start  :D, so go get'em  :box:

The following users thanked this post: g0mgx

Offline Chris56000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #441 on: January 01, 2018, 08:31:12 pm »
Hi!

Hi Steve and welcome to our merry gang  ;D, be yourself the change in the firmware, and if you want to train yourself in electronics (the practical side) now it's an excellent change to do it, select from the plate of goodies:

- Look higher in thread, practical examples on how to make the device electrical safe for other devices, replacing the power connector with a grounded one, changing the cabling and modifying the back pannel.
Skills needed: basic craftsmanship with a Dremmel tool and a file, some basic soldering skill, ability to follow simple instructions and pictures.

- Capture the schematic of the Power Supply (low skill), Front Panel (average skill) and Signal Board (advanced skill).
Skills needed: The ability to disassemble non-destructively an equipment, recognizing components, using a multimeter with a continuity beeper, using a schematic capture CAD program ( KiCAD, Circuit MAker, pirated version of Altium).

- Replace the miserable 16V electrolytic capacitors on +/- 12V rails in preparation for changing the power supply to a better one delivering stabilized +/- 15V.
Skills needed: Basic desoldering/soldering skill, a good soldering station and eventually a desoldering tool.

- Help the effort of decoding the communication protocol between the FB and SB, to be able to control the device with another software or board, for example an RPi. Also if the FW craps out, to get your calibration constants in a safe place.
Skills needed: Ability to work with a scope and logic analyzer, connecting over the signal cable in a movie hacke way :). Tools needed: a GOOD logic analyzer and a reasonable scope (this will be needed later).

- Help build a new, improved firmware for the front panel or for other MCU with a LCD, alternatively for a tablet, Android or IPAD
Skills needed: understanding the hardware and the control protocol, advanced programming capabilities for iOS or Android.

- Improve the Signal Board and signal quality, replace the power supply with a better one with stabilized outputs, eventually a linear one instead of the switching mode one, replace the output operational amplifiers, recalibrate the whole system while system while doing many measurements for at least 1024 calibration points, enter in flame fests about the spectrum analyzer settings and rubidium controlled reference clocks.
Skills needed: master analogue and digital hacker skills. Tools needed: Highly advanced Spectrum analyzer, GPS synchronized frequency reference, complex power meters with precise probes, highly advanced scope to measure the phase shift.

- Rebuild the FPGA programming based on the above acquired knowledge, discover neat trick to move the frequency for non sinus waveforms, shame the FeelTech Chinese programmers and become a forum luminary and mentor. Avoid and be anoyed about all the recruiters begging to hire you.
Skills needed: alpha level hacker in mixed mode devices. Serious deep theoretical and practical knowledge of the whole matter. Tools needed: cheap USB Blaster-2 and Quartus software over what you've aleady collected.

So you see that starting with this humble cheap generator can improve your electronics skill and advance you professionally a lot. You just have to start   :D, so go get'em  :box:

Amen to that – that's basically my plan with these (at least as far as the first five paragraphs at any rate!) as well!!!!

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:39:12 pm by Chris56000 »

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #442 on: January 01, 2018, 10:56:43 pm »
If you've got some spare time after what @DC1MC has outlined you can help with this project:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/gw-instek-gds-2000e-released/msg1388999/#msg1388999

Offline Ebel0410

• Contributor
« Reply #443 on: January 02, 2018, 09:45:22 pm »
Hi

You know what ? I'am a happy man  :-+
All the modifications I intended to do since the FY6600 arrived here are now completed.

- Mains socket with earth tied to ground : done
- Internal PS upgrade with fast switching diodes, better output capacitors : done
- <1ppm clock (low cost DIY 50MHz) : done
- reflashing the flash memory where the sine waveform had been corrupted : done

Flashing : thanks to Cybermaus for his precious tips.
One more advice, don't forget to firstly erase the flash before rewriting it !
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:52:53 pm by Ebel0410 »

The following users thanked this post: Bob Sava

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #444 on: January 02, 2018, 10:11:55 pm »
Hi Ebel, nice mods, I plan to do them myself after I'm done with the "hacking", if the device survives ;).

Would you join our reversing effort for the protocol ?

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #445 on: January 02, 2018, 11:03:19 pm »

How?  Please tell us!!  I've been waiting 2 weeks for FeelTech & sportgogo to reply with anything more than empty promises.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #446 on: January 02, 2018, 11:15:03 pm »

How?  Please tell us!!  I've been waiting 2 weeks for FeelTech & sportgogo to reply with anything more than empty promises.

It's the Signal Board flash where the waveforms are stored, the Front Panel firmware still has to be "liberated" ;)

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #447 on: January 02, 2018, 11:47:29 pm »
Hi Everyone - another new member here.

I've been reading this thread for a couple of weeks, and my FY6600 just arrived today.  I've only had half an hour to play with it, and it seems to be working fine.  I've also had a look inside in preparation for doing the PS mods, and the main board is now up to v1.501.  The PS board is one made by Suoer, and looks even weedier than the Feeltech board in other members' boxes (but has the same layout).  It's giving 4.33uA @ 92.4v AC on the BNC sockets, so the earth mod is a prority.

I also thought I'd take a look at the stuff on the CD to see what version the software was up to (only 5.2), and went to check the version I downloaded and installed from the Feeltech website a few days ago, using the customary Help - About route.  However, on this version (5.3 as I found out from the original filename), there is no "About", but a single menu option under Help, labelled "Repair_Sine", which attempts to connect to the FY6600 when clicked.  As I haven't connected the unit to my PC yet (and won't be until the mods are done) I have no idea what the outcome would have been, but what's the likelihood of Feeltech having included an undocumented fix for the corrupted sine waves problem in their latest PC control software?  Just a thought ...

Regards,
Dave
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:50:42 pm by DaveR »

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline g0mgx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #448 on: January 03, 2018, 08:30:08 am »
Hi Dave

Interesting!

When you say your unit is working - are you able to reproduce any of the issues in my video?

http://g0mgx.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/feeltech-6600-issues-list.html

Assuming your version of firmware is the same as mine, if your unit doesnt exhibit the same issues as mine, then I will have to start to look at other possible hardware issues in my unit.

Grateful for your report back!

Mark

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #449 on: January 03, 2018, 11:40:52 am »
Hi Mark,

I'll see if I get time later today to do a comparison, but right now the DPD man has just been to the door and I've got a nice new Airspy HF+ in my hand which needs to be played with!

Regards,
Dave

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf