Author Topic: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator  (Read 549242 times)

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator
« Reply #650 on: February 02, 2018, 08:39:34 am »
How long were you staring at that logo feeling increasingly :scared: before you opened the device?

Offline DerKammi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #651 on: February 02, 2018, 08:45:33 am »
How about 1.5s.... saying "sukkels" and grabbed the cordless screwdriver :D

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #653 on: February 02, 2018, 03:10:42 pm »
Once your effort to write your own firmware works, I am pretty sure yes, it can.
Equally sure that at soon after that moment the 15MHz model will no longer be sold though.

Sorry for not being active myself. Still have the intent to work on the frauenhofer hack, even though it is for the wrong chip.
But a bit busy with my dayjob at the moment. I admire your (plural) progress though.

Offline Diabolo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #654 on: February 02, 2018, 04:42:48 pm »
Hello,

With GPSDO 10 Mhz the accuracy of the counter measurement FY2300H is + 95hz, displayed 10.000.095 Mhz

Diabolo
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:42:47 pm by Diabolo »

Offline odo

« Reply #655 on: February 02, 2018, 11:57:47 pm »
I am thinking about buying this generator. I like the number of features of this generator for such low price, but I see one disadvantage, maybe you could help me.
I initially decided to buy JSD6600 from FeelTech competitors, they have nice looking rubber buttons on the front panel like typical bench equipment. I expect that using "foil" buttons like on FY6600 it is not so convenient as using real rubber buttons. Could you say something about this? Are they hard to use on the table? Do generator moves when you try to press buttons?

One more questions to FeelTech representative who was on the forum, I hope is still there. Do you plan to upgrade FY6600 to rubber buttons?

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #656 on: February 03, 2018, 12:18:03 am »
Hi odo,

The buttons are not as bad to use as you'd think - you just need to put your fingers on top of the case and use your thumb to press them.  Yes, the case moves around, but that's because it's so light - it would still move around if it had any other type of buttons.  Either put something behind it, or put some sticky, non-slip rubber feet on the bottom of the case to hold it a little better (or add some weight inside, like a big power transformer).

Offline DerKammi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #657 on: February 03, 2018, 01:32:12 pm »
Any body in Europe or otherwise (shipping :() who is willing to send their bricked unit or front panel to me for software testing?

I like to keep my unit working for comparison of features while testing out all functions. Will send it back when wanted or needed or when the software is up to par.
Paying €70 for a 15Mhz unit is a bit of waste in my opinion.

I finished the the reverse engineering of the front panel of my unit, just need to draw the schematics in some tool. Eagle is what I use normally for these tiny schematics.

Offline CharlieEcho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #658 on: February 03, 2018, 01:47:07 pm »
Either put something behind it, or put some sticky, non-slip rubber feet on the bottom of the case to hold it a little better (or add some weight inside, like a big power transformer).

Some kind of little chock secured to the shelf or desktop behind it's front feet (underneath the unit) works too.

The membrane buttons are fine in terms of feel (although they're less durable). The encoder wheel is clicky.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #659 on: February 04, 2018, 02:08:11 am »
I am thinking about buying this generator. I like the number of features of this generator for such low price, but I see one disadvantage, maybe you could help me.
I initially decided to buy JSD6600 from FeelTech competitors, they have nice looking rubber buttons on the front panel like typical bench equipment. I expect that using "foil" buttons like on FY6600 it is not so convenient as using real rubber buttons. Could you say something about this? Are they hard to use on the table? Do generator moves when you try to press buttons?

Hi odo. Welcome to the forum.

There is another disadvantage — one that could totally outweigh your button concern. If you read back some pages from here, you'll see that this generator could lose its mind unexpectedly, rendering the device inoperative. That's what all the reverse engineering discussion is about.

So, you may want to wait and see how the brave adventurers here tackle that challenge before spending your money.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline plb

• Contributor
« Reply #660 on: February 04, 2018, 02:47:18 am »
There is another disadvantage — one that could totally outweigh your button concern. If you read back some pages from here, you'll see that this generator could lose its mind unexpectedly, rendering the device inoperative. That's what all the reverse engineering discussion is about.

...Except that V3.2, the version currently being delivered from higher turnover sources, does not seem to show this problem.
There is no technical fault too difficult to solve by sufficient application of marketing.

Online 4thDoctorWhoFan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #661 on: February 04, 2018, 02:53:54 am »
Hello,

With GPSDO 10 Mhz the accuracy of the counter measurement FY2300H is + 95hz, displayed 10.000.095 Mhz

Diabolo
Well, that's horrible.  Why even bother?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 03:07:02 am by 4thDoctorWhoFan »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #662 on: February 04, 2018, 02:58:22 am »

...Except that V3.2, the version currently being delivered from higher turnover sources, does not seem to show this problem.

Yep. Just have to ensure that you can get that specific version. I don't know how many vendors know enough to send the right one.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline CharlieEcho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #663 on: February 04, 2018, 04:27:42 am »
95hz, displayed 10.000.095 Mhz

With the FW my unit was delivered with (3.2), clicking the encoder wheel with the selector on the frequency line (F1) changes the units between HZ, KHz, MHz, and uHz. In case anyone hasn't noticed that.

Anyone know how to change the modes the channels default to at power up? I don't really want both channels on and cranking out a ton of volts.

EDIT: Well, I don't know what I did but now I have mine starting up with the channels off, so good enough.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 04:32:46 am by CharlieEcho »

Offline plb

• Contributor
« Reply #664 on: February 04, 2018, 05:02:49 am »
If you haven't already got one, you can get a user manual from
https://kenswu.zzvps.com/Function/Manual/FY6600%20Series%20Users%20Manual%20V2.2.pdf
I sometimes find that reading it beats thumping the front panel and swearing...
There is no technical fault too difficult to solve by sufficient application of marketing.

Offline g0mgx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #665 on: February 04, 2018, 07:01:59 am »
Any body in Europe or otherwise (shipping :() who is willing to send their bricked unit or front panel to me for software testing?

I like to keep my unit working for comparison of features while testing out all functions. Will send it back when wanted or needed or when the software is up to par.

I finished the the reverse engineering of the front panel of my unit, just need to draw the schematics in some tool. Eagle is what I use normally for these tiny schematics.

Mine isn't bricked but is definitely doing more weird things than others; I still think some of the relays are bad.

You are welcome to my unit - where are you?

Mark
G0MGX

Offline DerKammi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #666 on: February 04, 2018, 07:54:57 am »

Mine isn't bricked but is definitely doing more weird things than others; I still think some of the relays are bad.

You are welcome to my unit - where are you?

Mark
G0MGX

Great Mark, sounds fine to me. I'm in the Netherlands. Could you check out the shipping? I'm fine with the slowboat shipping method.
Should we take it further in PM's?

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #667 on: February 04, 2018, 12:56:52 pm »
With the FW my unit was delivered with (3.2), clicking the encoder wheel with the selector on the frequency line (F1) changes the units between HZ, KHz, MHz, and uHz. In case anyone hasn't noticed that.
I had not noticed that, thanks, I do not like that standard KHz readout, and once I was stuck on uHz readout. 10000000000000uHz :palm:
Anyone know how to change the modes the channels default to at power up? I don't really wagood enough.
In the SYS->MORE menu, there is a "boot" for CH1 and CH2.
I have mine set to not start automatically also.

The following users thanked this post: CharlieEcho

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #668 on: February 04, 2018, 01:48:13 pm »
You guys should scour the old posts here, looking for promises that I vaguely remember were made that the next version they were working on would have user upgradeable firmware.

I own the next lower version, the FY3224.

It has some issues. The very very low frequencies displayed are non-accurate. It would be nice if that could be fixed.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #669 on: February 04, 2018, 01:53:32 pm »
The vague and never followed up promises were made for the next hardware version, if will ever show up, of course that was just a marketing droid that since then never posted anything more.
The current ones will be for ever not upgradeable by the manufacturer, until a new firmware (and hope ;) ) emerge.

So start contributing for your version with stuff, schematics, connector pins mapping, even testing the existing commands.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #670 on: February 04, 2018, 02:46:42 pm »
Reply #671 gives a link to a user manual for the FY6600 but that manual is V2.2 from July, 2017 and the FeelTech home page has what appears to be the latest v2.9 from August, 2017. The date on the download link for the FY6600 English manual says 2017-10-17. 

http://en.feeltech.net/index.php?case=archive&act=list&catid=6

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #671 on: February 04, 2018, 04:05:33 pm »
Im still waiting on my unit to arrive .

For the purposes of experimentation and learning Ive also sent out for one of the DSO138's , contains a similar STM32 type controler chip to the FY .There is open source software available for the DSO which allows you to access an extra  analog input and two digital logic inputs on that board,  and also  a few mods to reduce the very noisey input stage . its also a simple matter to add a rotary  encoder

https://github.com/ardyesp/DLO-138

Seeing as its mostly audio I do , this unit will make a handy tool to have  for a mobile test up.
I bought a second spare perspex case and I intend to house a battery/chg ,proper analog +- rails ,and a discrete op amp based 2nd analog audio mic/line input.

Could  a dso130 board be used as a controller for the FY6600 main board ?
only the software and the push buttons would need to be added .
It seems from what ive read that we can control the main board of the FY6600 remotely with the correct usb interface .
Would it make sense to try and figure out a way to make a cheap new front panel  or how about replacing the controller chip on the FY front panel with whats on the DSO board ,then putting together our own software interface ,what about the JTS  front panel code it looks very similar too

Anyway there my ideas ,hopefully theres inspiration in there somewhere to get the ball rolling again .

Offline CharlieEcho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #672 on: February 04, 2018, 04:19:36 pm »
I am happy to perform whatever stepwise procedures I can on my unit, to the extent that will help out. The STM32 attack paper is interesting reading but I lack the skill to have much hope of implementing the authors' "cold boot" attack on my own.

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #673 on: February 04, 2018, 06:15:56 pm »
Hi guys , I am also waiting for my FY 6600 .
I have found this thread shortly after I was pay for this , so ...too late .

@DerKammi did you have paid custom tax for your ? I was ordered through Banggood .

For a new control board this ready made solutions can short time or at least may help :

https://www.embedded-wizard.de/high-performance-gui-hmi-for-stm32f7-discovery.html
With the demo version you can compile a working interface that can be uploaded to STM board .

They have even a demo of a signal generator interface here :
https://www.embedded-wizard.de/files/cto_layout/img/demo/webgl/WaveformGenerator/EmWiApp.html 

Or Nextion smart displays which can send commands through Serial interface
https://nextion.itead.cc/ - This has free IDE and serial communication .

Many appreciations about your great work !

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #674 on: February 04, 2018, 08:25:02 pm »
Maybe you should try to get refunds on your FY6600s.

Unless I'm getting something wrong, I'm gathering that ones that are working could self destruct at any time?

Do I have this right? Does its firmware corrupt itself?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:27:42 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf