Author Topic: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator  (Read 557469 times)

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator
« Reply #2025 on: September 02, 2019, 03:59:40 pm »
Good question, I probably should have elaborated on that.

I used the two seperate windings of the transformer to my advantage and make it easier to create a single “star” groundpoint by creating two separate supplies. With center-tapped transformers it’s easier to create grounding issues when using perf or protoboard and not a real pcb. Another reason was that I could use full bridges and therefor smaller buffer electrolytes. Diodes are cheaper than good buffer caps.

The only connection of the two supplies is at the connector to the main board.

Thirdly, I wanted to isolate the high frequency noise that inevitabilly comes from the 5V DC-DC convertor away from at least the negative supply as much as possible.

Thanks for that enlightenment (and for your critique of my writing style). I must admit that whenever I dare to review my own scribblings, some of the more effusive of my postings do make me cringe a little - I think you may have a point. :-[

Anyway, aside from the fact that a centre tapped bridge rectified transformer winding is effectively a full wave bi-phase supply to each of the positive and negative supply smoothing capacitors. you make a valid point in regard of minimising noise injection into the common ground reference point.

It was just that, on the face of it, the use of separate windings and bridge rectifiers seemed a little unnecessary for a bi-polar dc supply. Obviously, there can be good reasons for such duplication. In your case, the issue of noise injection through a common grounding link between the ground point of a centre tapped transformer to a relatively remote grounding point on the regulator board, and in my case, contemplating a means to float a positive dc-dc converter regulator so as to connect it in reverse to the common ground point on the PCB carrying the other two conventionally wired +5 and +12 dc-dc converters.

I guess when we're dealing with eliminating noise from a nice and quiet replacement PSU, your reason for the separate secondaries and rectifiers trumps 'convention' every time.  :)

JBG
John

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2026 on: September 02, 2019, 08:18:55 pm »
If you are very worried about the 5V converter noise than you would choose a transformer with a separate winding for that ...

But , I use a linear regulator for the 5V rail + a dropping resistor and the power dissipation is not that big , it is doable . So , you are not bound to use a switching regulator .

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2027 on: September 03, 2019, 10:47:06 pm »
If you are very worried about the 5V converter noise than you would choose a transformer with a separate winding for that ...

But , I use a linear regulator for the 5V rail + a dropping resistor and the power dissipation is not that big , it is doable . So , you are not bound to use a switching regulator .

That's a neat way to shed some of the heat dissipation burden off the regulator. Ideally you need to determine the maximum, worst case current loading on the regulator so you calculate the exact resistance value required to still leave a safety margin over and above the regulator's dropout voltage.

Unless you're trying to design for a "Universal Mains voltage PSU" with a 240v 50Hz stepdown transformer that will still provide sufficient secondary voltage(s) at 110 volt input without manually switching a split primary between series and parallel, you might want to test at the lower mains voltage limit (216vac) and check the 100Hz ripple to ensure you still have a small (half volt or so) margin over and above the regulator drop out voltage. You can then calculate the resistance required, picking the nearest preferred value that's just less than this and select a resistor with a wattage rating to suit.

Obviously, you can just make an educated guess, erring on the low side to be safe or, alternatively, just use a dc-dc switching converter to provide a fixed voltage to the regulator some 2.5 to 3 volts higher than its output voltage. If this trick is good enough for high grade commercial test gear, it should be good enough for these cheap signal generators. :)

Having said all that, I don't think there's really any need to eschew the use of a switching regulator on the 5v supply since the only components which make direct use of this PSU voltage are the relays. From what I can see in the reverse engineered circuit diagram for the main board, the rest of the digital supply voltages all come from the three LDO regulators supplying 3.3, 2.5 and 1.2 volts. All the critical analogue supply voltages come from the +/-12v rails which only directly drive the high level THS 3xxx opamps, another 3.3v LDO regulator feeding the analogue Vdd pins of the DACs and the +/-5v LDO regulators feeding the OPA686Ns.

If you're going to use a dc-dc converter for the 5v supply and ground return noise is a concern, you might want to rejig that 6 pin ribbon cable connector to route the 12v analogue supply grounds to the main board end of the connector independently of the 5v ground return (put the join as close to the main board connector as practicable).

This ideal can only be fully realised when all three rails are fed from three separate transformer secondaries, each with their own independent bridge rectifiers and smoothing caps. If the +12v and +5v regulators are fed from a common rectified and smoothed supply, the best you can do here to is keep the common ground wire as short and as heavy gauge as possible.

There was very good reason for doubling up on those ground wires in that overly long ribbon cable which Feeltech undid when they swiped one as a convenient way to provide a hard earthing connection to the C14's PE tag in the 6800 and 6900 models.  :rant:  >:D

If you're going to go to as much trouble as building an analogue PSU to replace the smpsu board used in these signal generators, then you might as well do the best job possible or not at all imo. This means specifiying a high quality mains transformer with a 16VA minimum rating with a couple of 18v ac 300mA minimum rated secondaries and a single 8v 500mA secondary.

If you're contemplating an OCXO upgrade you'll also need to make allowance for the additional 100 to 300mA at 12v loading typical of a warmed up OXCO which might best be served by a separate analogue PSU which will allow you switch the generator off completely but allow the directly connected OCXO supply to carry on drawing power whilst it remains plugged into a wall outlet.

It will be difficult enough to find a mains transformer with all the required secondary windings let alone one with two 18v secondaries and a centre tapped 16v secondary that can be used to power 5 and 12 volt analogue regulators. Alternatively, you could choose a higher VA rated transformer with 500 or 600mA rated 18v windings and just hang another 12v regulator off the rectified and smoothed +20v output to power the OCXO[1]

Using the front panel on/off button to put these generators into standby only saves a couple of watts at most, leaving it to consume some 5 to 6 watts in this state so there's good reason to keep that OCXO module powered up independently of the signal generator if possible since it's not only the matter of the three minutes or so warm up delay but also that of "retrace" that's at issue here. Of course, if you're going to add a socket for an external 10MHz reference, the issues of warm up and retrace pretty much go away.

[1] If, when you've managed to succeed in finding a suitable transformer from which to power everything, the thought of having an additional 5 or 6 watts going to waste in Feeltech's version of 'Standby' when the OCXO can keep itself nicely warmed up and on frequency without this 'help' is any cause for concern, you can always fit powerFET switches into the DC rails feeding the regulators and either repurpose the mains switch to control them or add another separate 'standby' switch to turn everything except the OCXO off (assuming the several hours long 60ppt 'warm up drift' after an overnight shutdown escapes your OCD attention - if it doesn't, I suspect you might prefer to forego such standby economy in your quest to achieve the best possible frequency stability out your OCXO investment  ;) ).

TBH, the only reason I have such a facility at all is simply because I hadn't upgraded the psu to one capable of handling the extra load from my OXCO modification so had no choice but to add a small half amp rated 12v smpsu board which gave me the opportunity to wire it directly to the mains connections on the C6 mains socket, bypassing the on/off switch.

JBG
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:35:34 am by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline Dbldutch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2028 on: September 06, 2019, 11:30:06 am »
While playing with the Lars DIY GPSDO, I came across a funny problem that I have not found reported about the FY6600 yet.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/lars-diy-gpsdo-with-arduino-and-1ns-resolution-tic/

I wanted to use the FY6600 to mimic the signals for the gps 1pps clock and the 10Mhz oscillator. I used ch1 set at 1 second pulses, and ch2 for 10Mhz pulses. The Lars circuit uses a HC390 counter to create 5 and 1MHz pulses. The 1Mhz pulse and the 1 pulse per second go the the inputs of a HC4046. the 4046 resolves the phase difference and shows that as a pulse relative the the phase difference on the output. I'm elaborating here, because I initially though that I could use the phase setting of the FY6600 to create a difference in the edges and observe the working of the circuit.

What I found was a continuous stepped phase shift between the channels.

After some diggin' around, I attached the FY6600 outputs directly to my scope and observed the same thing. This phase shift is a function of the FY6600.
My version is pretty old, V2.9 software and V1.41 for the main circuit board. I did modify the power supply, see an above post, and I upgraded the main clock to a D75J-050.0 part, which is a 1ppm precision part. However, both mods are unrelated to the problem I see.

Anyway, as long as both channels are within one decade of each other, the edges are aligned. However, when one channel is more than one decade apart from the other, there is a continues and stepped phase difference.

This can be easily reproduced on my unit:
Set ch1 to a 1 Mhz pulse, and set ch2 to a 10KHz pulse. Connect both channels to a scope with the same length BNC cables and trigger on ch2.

Set the scope timebase to 10ns and closely examine the phase of the two signals, they are perfectly aligned (if you used the same length cables  ::)).
As a test, use the phase adjustment (but also notice the funny behavior on 4, 7, 10 degrees, etc - also a bug?) Apart from the jumps, all is in order it seems. Set the phase back to 0.

Now set ch2 to 1KHz (or lower). Note the stepped drift of about 2 ns between the channels about every 5 seconds.
Set the scope timebase to 200ns and observe that the trace of ch1 seems to "walk" to the left of the screen continuously.
Next, set ch2 to 100Hz. Note the much faster stepping with larger jumps and at a rate of 1 second.

This effect is probably due to the way the FPGA is programmed.
Needles to say, this makes the FY6600 pretty much useless for these kind of measurements.

Can somebody with newer hardware and/or software confirm this behavior or point me to a post that already described/reported this?

Tks!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 07:21:46 pm by Dbldutch »

Offline pantelei4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2029 on: September 06, 2019, 01:56:59 pm »
Can somebody with newer hardware and/or software confirm this behavior or point me to a post that already described/reported this?
FY6800
Yes, the generator cannot synchronize for multiple frequencies. Phase steps 4ns.
It cannot synthesize the frequency exactly, the jitter is also 4ns. He cannot divide the frequency by an integer and maintain synchronization. :horse:

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2030 on: September 06, 2019, 02:28:08 pm »
I see 4nS jitter for pulse wave at 2-3 sec . That's the code inside the FPGA , like the square wave jitter .
This "details" need a lot of coding work , that a small chinese company is unwilling/unable to do ...

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2031 on: September 07, 2019, 12:31:21 am »
I see 4nS jitter for pulse wave at 2-3 sec . That's the code inside the FPGA , like the square wave jitter .
This "details" need a lot of coding work , that a small chinese company is unwilling/unable to do ...

This does raise the question as to whether investing in a more "Up Market" DDS based arbitrary wave generator would resolve this issue. Perhaps someone following this thread who happens to own such a more up market generator could oblige by repeating this test and report their results?

JBG
John

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2032 on: September 07, 2019, 01:00:56 am »
Is a Keysight 33622A "up market" enough?

Give me the settings and I'll put the 33622A outputs and a GPSDO output on a 4 channel scope.  I know I can trigger my 200 MHz Instek and 1.5 GHz LeCroy, but I'm not sure about the Tek 11801 w/ a 20 GHz SD-26 sampling head.  It's a bit exotic and I'm still earning how to operate it.  Keysight claims less than 1 ps jitter for the 33622A  And I actually believe that claim.  Though the 11801 has too much jitter (4 ps) to actually test it.

I should note that if the clock chip in the F***Tech is not a fractional N device, it will have settings with much more jitter than others.  And even with fractional N devices there are still issues at certain settings. TANSTAFL.

Have Fun!
Reg

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2033 on: September 07, 2019, 04:24:04 am »
"Up Market" for me  would be Siglent , Rigol ...  an expensive Keysight I'm sure doesn't have this issues .

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2034 on: September 07, 2019, 10:31:38 am »
...did some testing with the AWGs that I've got access to.
Settings:

Ch1 10MHz Square
Ch2 1Hz Square
"Phase Mode Coupled" if applicable

If the phase wasn't stable, I increased the frequency of Ch2 in decimal logarithmic steps until no phase walk-through was observable anymore.

Siglent SDG6000: Phase stable at initial settings
Rigol DG800/900: Phase stable at frequency ratios <= 1000:1 (i.e. Ch2 10kHz)
Rigol DG4000: Phase stable at frequency ratios <= 10e6:1 (i.e. Ch2 10Hz)
Hantek HDG2000B (crappiest thing I've got...): Phase stable at frequency ratios <= 10e4:1 (i.e. Ch2 1kHz)
Rigol MSO2000A-S, internal generator (surprise, surprise...): Phase stable at initial settings

Hope this information might help to enlighten the situation.

Cheers,
Thomas

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:54:59 am by TurboTom »

The following users thanked this post: maxwell3e10, Jacon, Johnny B Good

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2035 on: September 21, 2019, 10:31:41 pm »
Here is revision 0.7 of the bluepill software with the corresponding modified PC Software.
- The Modulation functions are now working
- The SPI write times are improved (bypassing the STM libraries and new specific 32bit write)
- The FPGA write protocol has been improved (The FPGA protocol allows not to resend the Control Register number when the last used was the same)
- The sweep functions are faster, because of the 2 previous points (now 6µs potential update time instead of 10µs)
- The calibration bug found by DaveR has been fixed

Enjoy and thank you for your feedback!

Edit: Should it be usefull, Modulation functions and Sweep functions can work together ...

Hi there!
Sorry for the long break but the last year has been quite hard … That's just life…

Here is revision 0.8 of the bluepill software with the corresponding modified PC Software.
This works with a FY6600 with  version 3.2 but this should also work with version <3.2, not with v3.3

All the existing functions of a FY6600 v3.2 are now integrated in this revision plus:
- Sweep on CH2
- Over voltage protection
- Variable load adjustment
- Manual output range selection
- Last config on startup available
- Factory reset function
- Amplitude, Offset + VCO-IN Calibration
- CH1 modulation, CH1 & CH2 sweep and measure are independant functions and can be activated simultaneously.
Thank you for your feedback!

If someone is also interrested in testing , the same version is also available for the front panel with keyboard and lcd function but all the views are not finished (Channels,  sweep, modulation and measure views are finished, system and configuration are still to be done).
All the functions are anyway available through the PC Software.

Although you don't need it, the bluepill version also works with a LCD, a keypad and an encoder but it is not 100% wired like the FY6600 so the binaries are not the same. If you have the hardware, you could also try the Bluepill with it (I would have to give you the modified wiring).

I have a FY6800 and a FY6900 waiting to be connected to the logic analyzer ;-)
The idea is to have at the end the front panel  software working with the FY6600, FY6800 and FY6900, idealy with the same FPGA version if possible...
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Dbldutch, Jacon, beanflying, DC1MC, radiolistener

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2036 on: September 22, 2019, 07:50:56 am »
This looks very impresive , you changed that shitty screen layout with many leading zeroes , better fonts  and so on .
 I have v3.1 , the firmware will work ?

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2037 on: September 22, 2019, 12:13:40 pm »
I have v3.1 , the firmware will work ?
Yes it will. I tested it with flash eeproms v3.1 and V3.2.
It doesn't work with a V3.3 eeprom but as I don't have a V3.3 front panel, I can't see what changed in the FP-FPGA protocol for v3.3.
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2038 on: September 22, 2019, 05:04:09 pm »
Is this a cure for corrupted V 3.0 front panels?  It looks *very* nice. 

F***Tech sent me a V 3.1 front panel.  They are *supposedly* sending replacement '103 chips to other forum members  with corrupted units though I've not gotten confirmation yet they have arrived.. 

I've got an ST-Link V 2.0 and am about to jump into working on the nanoVNA FW.  If it is possible to load your front panel FW into a V 3.0 panel, I'll install jumper pins and try it out.  Adding the SWD pins would be much less work than swapping out the chip.

It would be really nice to see FOSS code that would allow other Chinese OEMs to clone the F***Techs and improve them.  It could not happen to a more deserving company.

Have Fun!
Reg

BTW if you use one of these as an RF source, checkout the nanoVNA.  But be warned, the groups.io list is like trying to drink from a firehose.

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2039 on: September 22, 2019, 07:48:17 pm »

Hi there!
Sorry for the long break but the last year has been quite hard … That's just life…

A big welcome back, fremen67 - it's been a long time since we last heard from you, and we've certainly missed your input!!

I'll need to get my brain into FY6600 mode again and dig out the STM programmer, but I'll certainly do what I can to help with the testing.  The new FP display looks to be a massive improvement in legibility!

Regards,
Dave

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2040 on: September 22, 2019, 07:56:24 pm »
Is this a cure for corrupted V 3.0 front panels?  It looks *very* nice. 

Yes it is but not only. The new firmware has been design to be fast from the beginning and all the functions handled by the front panel are supposed to work ...

If it is possible to load your front panel FW into a V 3.0 panel, I'll install jumper pins and try it out.  Adding the SWD pins would be much less work than swapping out the chip.

The version I posted is for the Bluepill board (connected in place of the front panel). The Bluepill version is interesting as it allows testing without flashing the front panel, plus it's easy to plug back the front panel to compare official/new firmware behaviour.
The version for the frontpanel is different as the wiring for the bluepill is not exactly the same (the bluepill has an onboard led for example). If you are interrested in testing the front panel version, I can post it. In the current version there is no buzzer, no soft power off and some views are still to be finished (configuration and system). Except from the GUI, the behaviour is the same as the bluepill version.

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2041 on: September 22, 2019, 08:26:04 pm »
A big welcome back, fremen67 - it's been a long time since we last heard from you, and we've certainly missed your input!!
Thank you for the kind words, that encouraging!

I'll need to get my brain into FY6600 mode again and dig out the STM programmer, but I'll certainly do what I can to help with the testing.
You are more than welcome. The first step would be to test the bluepill version to track bugs and compare behaviour with the stock firmware but if you want to go directly for the front end test, that's even better for me. I would be very interrested in having feedback on the GUI but I won't force you to reflash your front panel. Unless you swap the chips before, it's a one way trip.

The new FP display looks to be a massive improvement in legibility!
Thank you but that's only the visible part of the iceberg. I hope you will also like what is under the water  :)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2042 on: September 22, 2019, 08:55:02 pm »
Holly rotating potentiometers ;), @femen67 is back  :clap:, welcome back, I was really worried about you, some other forum members as well, is'g good that you're back and hopefully the hard times will stay away from you !!!

Also the new software looks really awesome, thanks for your hard work and sharing with the community    ^-^ !!!

Cheers,
 DC1MC

The following users thanked this post: Dbldutch

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2043 on: September 22, 2019, 09:35:29 pm »

The version for the frontpanel is different as the wiring for the bluepill is not exactly the same (the bluepill has an onboard led for example). If you are interested in testing the front panel version, I can post it. In the current version there is no buzzer, no soft power off and some views are still to be finished (configuration and system). Except from the GUI, the behavior is the same as the bluepill version.

I've got a V 3.0 front panel just sitting in a box and an ST-Link V 2.0 SWD programmer which I need to learn how to use.   So I'd be very happy to test your FW  on the old front panel.  I've also got a bluepill or two on hand.

My primary interest is in trying to improve low cost T&M gear so people don't have to wait until they are old to design and build radios as  hobby.  I'm not an EE so I never had access to T&M gear at work.  All I could ever do was *very* limited.  And mostly failed for lack of the needed gear.

If the F***Tech will sweep the HF ham bands and trigger a scope, then that, a $20 LCR-transistor tester, $10 DMM and a scope makes lots of QRP projects possible.  Throw in an RTL-SDR and a nanoVNA and it is radio geek heaven.

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2044 on: September 22, 2019, 10:25:38 pm »
I've got a V 3.0 front panel just sitting in a box and an ST-Link V 2.0 SWD programmer which I need to learn how to use.   So I'd be very happy to test your FW  on the old front panel.  I've also got a bluepill or two on hand.
Perfect! Here is the front panel firmware, also working with PC Software V0.8.
Have fun!

The following users thanked this post: pizzigri, Dbldutch

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2045 on: September 22, 2019, 11:09:00 pm »
fremen67,

Thanks, downloaded.  I'll try to test tomorrow if I find the panel without too long a game of hunt the wumpus.  And I figure out how to do it ;-)

I just installed the Atollic 9.3.0 dev suite on Debian 9.3.  I'm also going to install the Gnu tool chain and STM32Cube (or whatever it is called now).

I have been unwilling to post my comparisons of the FY6600 to the 33622A because F***Tech were such jerks.  I did not want to do anything to help their sales.  But the fact is, for many the FY6x00 is the best  option.  Now that we have alternative FW for the front panel, I'm not as reluctant.   The superb engineering work in this thread has made it an attractive target for cloning.  It's unlikely that the price can be lowered, but the quality and customer service can be improved.

At low signal levels such as what you have before the PA in a transceiver, my FY6600 and 33622A spectra are almost impossible to distinguish on an HP 8560A, a 50 Hz to 2.9 GHz spectrum analyzer.  And for the sake of being *really* rude, I have an 8566B which goes to 22 GHz,  high enough to challenge the 33622A ;-)

Welcome back from your travails.  May they never return.

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2046 on: September 23, 2019, 01:37:54 am »
It took me a while to track down my blue pill to FY6600 wiring loom, but now I've got everything together and v0.8 loaded, so I'll start testing the software tomorrow.  I don't really fancy swapping the STM32 chip on the FP for fun, so I'll leave the flashing of that until it absolutely needs to be done  ^-^.

Regards,
Dave

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2047 on: September 23, 2019, 02:24:54 am »
Why does the chip on the front panel need to be swapped to flash it?  My understanding is that all that's needed is to connect to the SWD interface with an ST-Link programmer.

IIRC It's configured so that attempts to read it via the SWD interface will wipe the flash, but my understanding has always been that you could *load* new FW.  You just couldn't read what was there.  But unless you set that restriction when you loaded new FW, the new FW could be read back.

The major obstacle has been the lack of new FW to install.  And trashing a good front panel to test new FW made no sense.  At this stage I certainly would not reflash anything newer than V 3.0.  No sense breaking something that works until you know the replacement works.

If I've got this wrong, please point me in the right direction.  At this point I've read so much documentation for so many MCUs that I don't believe *anything* I *think* I *might* know.

Logically, I can't imagine that setting the STM read protection would make reprogramming impossible.  That would impose much too large a financial risk to an OEM for them to be able to use the feature.  If a bug were discovered midway through a production run, there would be no way to salvage the HW if it could not be reprogrammed via the SDW interface.

Reg

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2048 on: September 23, 2019, 05:37:11 am »
I think the code is protected , can't be copied , so if you have a working unit you would want to use another microcontroller to play with ... just in case you need to revert to the "original" firmware . Otherwise it would have been easy for people with bricked units to repair their firmware .
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 05:45:55 am by CDaniel »

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2049 on: September 23, 2019, 11:08:06 am »
I think the code is protected , can't be copied , so if you have a working unit you would want to use another microcontroller to play with ... just in case you need to revert to the "original" firmware . Otherwise it would have been easy for people with bricked units to repair their firmware .
Exactly. If you flash the original front panel microcontroller, you can't go back.

Why does the chip on the front panel need to be swapped to flash it?  My understanding is that all that's needed is to connect to the SWD interface with an ST-Link programmer.

IIRC It's configured so that attempts to read it via the SWD interface will wipe the flash, but my understanding has always been that you could *load* new FW.  You just couldn't read what was there.  But unless you set that restriction when you loaded new FW, the new FW could be read back.
You are right, you are not obliged to swap the chip before flashing the front panel but we do not have the binary file from feeltech to flash back the front panel to the original firmware... if ever needed ;-)

And trashing a good front panel to test new FW made no sense.
When you have a complete spare front panel then this should not be a problem to test with the bricked one.

And trashing a good front panel to test new FW made no sense.  At this stage I certainly would not reflash anything newer than V 3.0.  No sense breaking something that works until you know the replacement works.
There is not possibility to upgrade a FY6600 stock firmware <= 3.2 with a newer one from Feeltech. These units are not upgradable unless you have the binary file from Feeltech and use an external programmer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf