Author Topic: Finally! Hantek HDM3065 6.5 Digit DMM  (Read 22119 times)

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Finally! Hantek HDM3065 6.5 Digit DMM
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2021, 06:00:54 am »
While I am happy to use B-brand oscilloscopes, generators and power supplies, I honestly can't understand the appeal of questionable-quality precision DMMs. Unlike other equipment, a DMM is supposed to be a black box that magically gives the right answer no matter what input you throw at it and it is often difficult to verify its operation.  Even A brands often have subtle problems. There is a robust supply of used 5-6-7 digit DMMs that cost a fraction of even the cheapest new ones. And they are already well-aged, as opposed to fast-aged.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, TopQuark, CDN_Torsten

Offline Marco Camara

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2021, 11:37:07 am »
Unfortunately, I could not find even ONE example of these "used 5-6-7 digit DMMs that costs a fraction of even the cheapest new ones" here in Brazil. Yes, I have found some examples of good, but VERY old equipments (HP 34401A, Keithley 2000 etc), but none of them was cheap (they cost even more than what I have paid for my equipment). Besides that, I will have no warranty and they don't offer new features like Trend chart, Histogram etc.

I have just received my equipment - it arrived yesterday. Well, I have made some tests, and as I can see by now, it's working very well, with precise and accuracy measures (I have compared them with a Agilent 3458A - 8 1/2 digits measures). All of that with a new and beautiful interface, and 3 years of warranty.

I understand and respect your opinion, but I don't think I have made a bad acquisition. A think one of these "peaces of crap" would be a good option if you don't have enough money to buy a Keysight, or Keithley fantastic new equipments.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2021, 12:23:48 pm »
Indeed. Many countries around the world, including Brasil, have a very limited and overpriced used market - customs does not help with that, raising a "cheap" foreign import to a level that dillutes its advantages. People tend to forget that US is a planet on its own with regards to test gear.

I am glad you are verifying it against a 3458 powerhouse - who knows? Depending on how the meter goes, you might be their best advertising.  :-+
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Marco Camara

Offline Marco Camara

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2021, 01:01:28 pm »
I have made many tests, and the hardware seems to be good. I'm testing resistors e voltage references which were measured with 3458, and the results are similar. I would must be very satisfied, but ... I'm having problems in my tests with software to connect HDM3065 to my computer/network.

Ok, when I have decided to buy the HDM3065, I was expecting this kind of problems. Chineses companies aren't typically good with software, I know.

Well, I'm still trying to use their software, and I have asked for help from Hantek. I will continue trying a few days more. In parallel, I'm looking for open software solutions, like this one: (which I have found here in this forum, and looks very nice)

https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerIntro%20UK.html

I'll let you know of my progress ... or deception  ;)

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline toli

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2021, 09:37:38 pm »
The nice GUI on newer units is appealing, the histogram and plots too. But this is something that can mostly be taken out of the equation. There are free sw available for working with all these older A-brand DMM's, including some excellent sw shared by members of this forum to communicate with lots of older instruments. I use these with my meters and this gives all the "advanced functionality" I need. A DMM is supposed to be a tool you can trust, not only when its new, but many years forward. Even cheap Aneng meters are spot on for a fraction of the price when new, but I wouldn't trust them for anything to do with accuracy. Same with my Uni-T units.
I've purchased older 34401A and K2000, both are many years old (the 34401A is an HP branded unit, that's how old it is). Both are still showing results in good agreement with each other as well as newer meters (34461A) I've compared against when I've had access to them.  For what its worth, I've payed ~300$ for each for these locally (not in the US). The original owner of the HP was a big company that kept all tools calibrated, which increased my level of trust in its readings.

I wouldn't say getting a Hantek unit is a bad decision, especially if there are no options for a trusted brand with many years of proven record. However, I would be much more suspicious of it than I would of a new meter from a trusted brand, and more suspicious than I would with an older well aged trusted meter that was calibrated for the first few years of operation at least. If you have the occasional access to other meters you trust for a direct comparison this can help build the trust over time, which is very useful. If you (Marco) will have the ability to compare it as time goes by, I think this can be of significant value to other forum members who are considering this meter.

I actually do a "sanity check" for my meters from time to time (maybe once a year or so). Have a look at the attached picture below as an example. This was a measurement I took of a few weeks ago during my ~yearly "sanity check" of comparing most of my DMM's (and in this case the electronic load too), just to see if anything is out of expected bounds, or drifted significantly compared to the other meters.
They are all in good agreement, despite non of them being new. Actually the one farthest out from the mean of the batch is also the newest meter here, the UT61E. Its 9 years old IIRC, and it was spot on when it was new. Now, it has drifted somewhat (actually it drifted mostly in the first 1-2 years and then more or less settled).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 07:05:25 am by toli »
My DIY blog (mostly electronics/stereo related):
http://tolisdiy.com/

The following users thanked this post: CDN_Torsten, Marco Camara

Offline Marco Camara

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2021, 07:35:38 pm »
Guys, I finally finished preparing my video about the HDM3065. It's spoken in Brazilian Portuguese, but I've created English subtitles for you to watch (no, it's not that automatic YouTube translation). It was a lot of work, I hope you like it. Here is the link:

Offline diodak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2021, 08:05:27 pm »
We are waiting for the opening of the device and showing the inside of this multimeter  :-+

The following users thanked this post: MegaVolt, Marco Camara

Offline PeterKlop

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2021, 10:00:11 pm »
Great review!  :-+ :-+

Offline Marco Camara

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2021, 01:29:52 pm »
Diodak, unfortunately I'm not planning to open the multimeter. It is working well, and I have 3 years of warranty. I'm afraid to loose the warranty if I do that... Sorry.

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline Marco Camara

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2021, 01:35:02 pm »
Toli, I will do what you said. As I made on my review, I will repeat the accuracy tests when the multimeter reach 1 year, 2 year, and so. I hope I get good results at these "sanity checks", and I will let you know. Thanks for the suggestion.

The following users thanked this post: toli

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2021, 02:16:16 pm »
I'm not planning to open the multimeter.

How will you replace the 10A fuse?

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2021, 02:19:44 pm »
Writing a comprehensive and accurate design specification for this unit must have been easy - here, copy this!

Offline Marco Camara

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2021, 02:21:43 pm »
It's a good question! I didn't blow it yet, but you're right - if I need to open the equipment to change the fuse, than there's no problem if I open it.

Offline knudch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2021, 02:44:47 pm »
Have you read this section in the manual ?

Page 18 of the manual

"Note: the large current input fuse is located inside the instrument and is not allowed to
be replaced by the user. If needing replacement, please contact Qingdao Hantek
Electronic Co., Ltd."

Offline Marco Camara

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2021, 02:49:46 pm »
Thanks for alerting me! I hadn't seen this detail... So, the equipment will remain closed, at least until the end of the warranty... I'm sorry, folks, I won't open it.

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2021, 02:52:46 pm »
Have you read this section in the manual ?

Page 18 of the manual

"Note: the large current input fuse is located inside the instrument and is not allowed to
be replaced by the user. If needing replacement, please contact Qingdao Hantek
Electronic Co., Ltd."

Wow, what BS is this.  |O :--
Please pretend you have blown fuse in your unit in Brazil and ask them - do they expect you to pay for shipping to and service in China?

Offline knudch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2021, 02:54:23 pm »
I must admit that such requirement would be a absolute negative feature in my perspective

What was the price compared to Siglent SDM 3065X ?

Just got that meter

Offline Marco Camara

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2021, 03:13:41 pm »
They have authorized service here in Brazil, but even so, if I blow the fuse, I think I WILL OPEN IT ;)

What I don't want to do is open it just to take photos. Yes, I'm curious too, but if I have any problem in theses 3 first years, I'm afraid to loose the warranty.

Knudch, I evaluated Siglent, even because I already have one of their Function Generator, but the SDM3065 would cost about 50% more than Hantek option here in Brazil. As I also have a Hantek oscilloscope, and the product price was better, I chose to bet on Hantek.

Offline knudch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2021, 03:16:42 pm »
50% compared to SDM3065X is a sum of money :)

Offline Marco Camara

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2021, 07:21:39 pm »
Hi, I have some new information about the HDM3065. I have finally tested USB and ethernet connections. The HDM3065 (model B) can communicate using any of the two ports with no problems. It wasn't easy to configure, as there are no information at manual. The Hantek support team helped, but I had to discover some information by myself.

I have installed the Hantek software. It's a type of "remote control" of the equipment. It shows a copy of the front panel, and you can access most of the function buttons, but not all of them.

I have also tested SCPI commands. That's the feature I wanted to use with the ethernet connection. It works fine, even using just a telnet connection with the equipment.

The following users thanked this post: CDN_Torsten, Markus2801A

Offline montecri

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2021, 03:38:07 pm »
Hi Marco,

Brazilian fellow here.

Where can I find it in Brazil?

Thanks,

- Cristiano

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2021, 03:47:03 pm »
The HDM3065 (model B) can communicate using any of the two ports with no problems. It wasn't easy to configure, as there are no information at manual. The Hantek support team helped, but I had to discover some information by myself.

Perhaps give a HOW-TO summary here to help others?

Offline Marco Camara

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2021, 06:46:58 pm »
My first problem is that I have a Mac. So, I needed to install a Windows 10 Virtual Machine, and installed the software which I have downloaded from Hantek web page.

The first software you have to install and configure is "Keysight Connection Expert". It's included on the software pack from Hantek. Using the USB connection, it is easy to use. You can see the instrument immediately after running the software. After that, you can send commands SCPI commands, start IO monitor and, after that, you can run Hantek HDM3000 app, which is a "remote control" of the instrument, where you can press virtual buttons, and see the readings at your computer.

For LAN connection, first you have to connect your multimeter at the same network where is your computer, and configure Network Options at Utility / IO Menu. Insert a compatible static IP address, or use DHCP. Then, after you get the IP Address at instrument, you go to Keysight Connection Expert at your computer, then "Manual Configuration", and set the same IP Address. At "Set Protocol" section, select "Socket". You must use the default port 5025, and press "Accept". After some seconds, you should see the Instrument as you have connected using USB cable.

I look forward you get it running, but if you need, just call me here, and I can try to help more.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 07:01:10 pm by Marco Camara »

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2021, 07:33:24 pm »
I had to use a Windows VM for Keysight Connection Expert even though I was already on Windows: they had some kind of shell extension or kernel extension or something that scanned for license files every 10 seconds and would stall the computer for about half a second every time it did this. By "stall" I don't mean "a background process took up a bit more CPU" or "ongoing I/O hiccuped," I mean the cursor actually froze like we were back in the bad old days of cooperative multitasking where lag in a single process would stall out the entire OS and everything. It was bad. It wasn't just my computer either -- it happened on lab computers at work, too, but people just tolerated the hiccups. This lasted for over a year, IIRC.

Since then I have switched from USB to Ethernet for all my instruments (Ethernet->GPIB when necessary). I don't need to use *any* proprietary drivers -- I can install everything I need from pip in python. No OS-level hiccups, No GB-size downloads, no proprietary blobs, no dragging around a VM. It's great!

The following users thanked this post: Svgeesus, Marco Camara

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2021, 07:57:52 pm »
50% compared to SDM3065X is a sum of money :)

where you can buy that Hantek for that price ? that Siglent 3065X goes for approx 850euro including VAT over here (roughly the same price as RIGOL DM 3068).

i would happily buy the Hantek for 450 euros even if i need to open it to replace the fuse ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf