Author Topic: Finding an oscilloscope in Canada/ advice  (Read 6098 times)

Offline MarkVenoTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Finding an oscilloscope in Canada/ advice
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 05:25:25 am »

Where (exactly) are you.  There are lots of people here, people selling scopes that travel throughout western Canada.  From the numbers, I'm guessing 100mile?

I'm in Revelstoke, so a bit bigger center. Actually got a couple replies on the local classifieds, neither seem to have worked out yet though

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2018, 08:54:10 pm »
electro-meters.com / rigolcanada.com advertises the DS1054Z at $454. This is brand new with a warranty.
Highly recommend these guys - received an outstanding service from them! I wanted to buy an MSO2202A and it was temporary out of stock, so they gave me a loaner MSO4054 which I was using for almost 3 months until the scope I wanted arrived!

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 04:09:27 pm »
electro-meters.com / rigolcanada.com advertises the DS1054Z at $454. This is brand new with a warranty.
Highly recommend these guys - received an outstanding service from them! I wanted to buy an MSO2202A and it was temporary out of stock, so they gave me a loaner MSO4054 which I was using for almost 3 months until the scope I wanted arrived!

I actually went to their office and bought a Rigol DM3068 meter from them.  Gave them the cash and some kid came out with the meter.  They were nice people.   

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 05:56:02 pm »
I watched for deals on ebay and got a Tek2215 and Tek2340A for like $120 and $200

There's lots of nice scope for under $200, I didn't want to get a 20Mhz scope, there are 60MHz and 200MHz

But a 20MHz can do a lot, I have $20 DSO138 scope, 200kHz, but its battery powered or wallpack, works great for lots of low freq stuff where u don't need the accuracy of a "real" scope.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 07:48:53 pm »
Just sold 2465 300MHz 4-channel for $180 on craigslist  :-+
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline qu1j0t3

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2018, 02:37:16 am »
Interior is indeed rough. I had at one point found a ds1054z barely used, but it was in toronto for $300 cad. Pickup only though. There is also sphere but not very budget friendly for old analog scopes. http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/justscopes.html

I have to say Sphere have been great to deal with; I've bought a couple of analog scopes from them.

I'm in Ontario, and my main scope is a Tek TDS460A digital that was not expensive to buy and ship from USA. The selection of used scopes in USA ebay is large and generally inexpensive. I've recently had small instruments shipped from USA to Ontario for USD $30.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2018, 02:56:13 am »
See if there is a hamfest or radio amateur swap meet in your region.
I got one of my best bargain at one talking to the seller ... free and excellent contact and help.

As an example:
https://www.oarc.net/pages/hamfest/

Also saw great buys at antique radios meets for decent starter scopes too.

I second the recommendation of Hamfests.
That's where I got almost all of my instruments & radio gear.

If you are out in the "bush" it might be harder, but you can find hams in the most unlikely places.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2018, 03:22:48 am »
Federal and BC and Alberta provincial government Surplus rarely have scopes and other oddball test equipment.  People bid stupid high for the weirdest junk.

Kijiji can be pretty good compared to Craigslist.
You still have to meet creepy characters in dark alleys.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:51:09 pm by floobydust »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2018, 04:01:05 pm »
You don't have to meet anybody in dark alleys, on occasions where I've gone to meet people somewhere we usually choose a corner of the parking lot of a busy shopping center nearby.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2018, 02:58:01 am »
The honest sellers are fearful of meeting in dark alleys.  If someone demands you meet in dodgy locations it is more than enough reason to call off the deal, no matter how good it looks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf