Author Topic: Fine tip multimeter probes - are there any that don't bend or break too easily?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline SolderSuckerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I've gone through a few of the very fine multimeter probes recently, not sure if I'm getting heavy handed or if they are just cheap and nasty but the needlepoint probes bend and break far too easily.

Are there any decent quality strong ones? If so any recommendations please?

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
And sorry for my English.

The following users thanked this post: SolderSucker

Online switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
I really like Hirschmann MICRO-PRUEF probes. They are really compact and the tips are spring-loaded and that really helps with getting consistent contact (without excessive force). I haven't managed to break mine yet, but of course YMMV. If I did, I would just buy them again though because they work so well.
https://www.sks-kontakt.de/en/test-measurement/products/product?nr=9739951

The connector is compatible with the garden-variety 2.54mm ones, so you may have suitable leads already, but they also sell decent ones with 4mm banana or BNC on the other end ("0.64mm system").

If you prefer something with a (somewhat) larger grip and CAT rating, Probe Master 8152 also looks interesting. I have no personal experience with them though.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, SolderSucker

• Regular Contributor
Many thanks both of you for the helpful replies. :-)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
When you say "bend" do you mean "bend permanently out of shape" or "flex"? People's recommendations will be different depending on whether you're looking for 'tougher' probes or just stiffer ones.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

• Regular Contributor
When you say "bend" do you mean "bend permanently out of shape" or "flex"? People's recommendations will be different depending on whether you're looking for 'tougher' probes or just stiffer ones.

Bend out of shape, need to be straightened which leads to breaks.

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
I really like to work with MultiContact/Stäubli probes and Wires- personal experience down to that slim 2mm (tip size) probes with 4mm connector to my test equipment. Did not have personally worked with the slimmer ones, but could also be an educated guess- usually they deliver good quality, so definitely worth a look or two...

The following users thanked this post: SolderSucker

Offline SpecialK

• Regular Contributor
I still really like the fine tip Pomona probes that everyone seems to have issue with. 

I don't find myself needing to bear down on multimeter probes and don't really put much sideways pressure on them.  Maybe you should adjust your technique?

The following users thanked this post: tooki, SolderSucker

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
I've gone through a few of the very fine multimeter probes recently, not sure if I'm getting heavy handed or if they are just cheap and nasty but the needlepoint probes bend and break far too easily.

Are there any decent quality strong ones? If so any recommendations please?
Which are the ones you’ve used and been disappointed by?

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
I really like Hirschmann MICRO-PRUEF probes. They are really compact and the tips are spring-loaded and that really helps with getting consistent contact [...]

If you prefer something with a (somewhat) larger grip and CAT rating, Probe Master 8152 also looks interesting. I have no personal experience with them though.
Those Hirschmann look interesting, I’ll have to try them.

I have the Probe Master 8152, and they’re great. But to be clear, they will never be as rugged as regular probes. (I broke my first 8152, which they replaced under warranty. I somehow managed to loosen the pogo pin socket to the point the probes wouldn’t remain inside.)

My everyday probes are the regular Probe Master 8000 —they have rigid 2mm tips (hard stainless steel, but hard gold plated), but are insanely sharp. You can easily probe fairly small pins with them, since they just don’t slide off. Which is a good thing because they can easily draw blood if you prick yourself with them!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf