Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1098061 times)

Offline luchog

Re: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol
« Reply #2750 on: August 03, 2016, 04:43:10 pm »
After 3 years waitinf for a good update, i put my DS2202 in the oblivion room.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:44:49 pm by luchog »

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2751 on: August 03, 2016, 04:50:39 pm »

Huh? What the hell are you talking about? The DSO works fine. I've been using mine to do jobs for the last 4 years; I've certainly made the money back I spent on it tenfold at least.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2752 on: August 03, 2016, 05:26:14 pm »

I went back and looked at the 7 posts you made here 2 years ago complaining about shifted bus decoding. So I just ran a test using I2C (I don't use SPI, so I can't test that) and I don't get any shift. You'll notice the image shows that we're looking at a point in the I2C data that is ~4ms from the trigger point.

So I don't know what problem you're having. In any case, to put a very good DSO in the 'oblivion room' because you say it shifts the bus decoding when you're zoomed in on a portion of memory, when almost every other inexpensive Chinese DSO (Siglent, Owon, etc) doesn't even decode the entire memory - only display memory (i.e. if the trigger point isn't on the screen, they can't decode properly) - seems crazy.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:34:13 pm by marmad »

The following users thanked this post: MiataMuc

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2753 on: August 03, 2016, 05:56:10 pm »
Maybe luchog missed the latest update from 2015 but I have no idea what that update fixes. But if he really doesn't want to use the scope anymore he could axe it like that other guy did with his Owon scope and post a picture for our amusement >:D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2754 on: August 03, 2016, 06:05:09 pm »
It would be better to give the scope away to a fellow forum member from a poor country, similar like that great gentleman Dubbie did a few weeks ago with his fully spec:ed Rigol DS1104Z-S:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/free-oscilloscope/

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2755 on: August 03, 2016, 06:06:38 pm »
Maybe luchog missed the latest update from 2015 but I have no idea what that update fixes. But if he really doesn't want to use the scope anymore he could axe it like that other guy did with his Owon scope and post a picture for our amusement >:D

Unlike the Owon SDS7102, you could easily resell a DS2202 for a reasonable amount of cash. And anybody that's amused by axes through test equipment really needs to get out in the real world a bit more.

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio Communications Equipment/System Design Engr.
« Reply #2756 on: August 03, 2016, 07:45:48 pm »
There is new DS/MSO2000/A/-S Firmware available: 00.03.05.00.01 {July 25, 2016}.

Edit:  Request a download link for this from http://www.rigolna.com (Rigol U.S.A.), etc.  You will find the new Firmware for the DS2K
series O'Scope here as of today.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:13:52 am by ted572 »

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2757 on: August 03, 2016, 07:57:51 pm »
There is new DS/MSO2000/A/-S Firmware available: 00.03.05.00.01 {July 25, 2016}.

Download link?

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2758 on: August 03, 2016, 11:18:44 pm »
And anybody that's amused by axes through test equipment really needs to get out in the real world a bit more.
I feel the same way about people who smash really good name brand musical instruments on stage. 😡

Offline I4E

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2759 on: August 04, 2016, 12:33:33 am »
Just and FYI,, anyone who does do an update on the firmware of your scope.. I know it's probably common sense but don't turn the unit off  or interrupt it during the update.   Also if you put the update on a USB stick to put into the scope  and it doesn't work It might be the USB Stick. For some reason  the Rigol units can be fussy about which sticks they'll accept.

Personally I think for the price it's a good scope.  If SPI decoding was important for me.. I probably wouldn't recommend it for that.

Have a great day everyone!!

Joy Torres
Instruments 4 Engineers
www.instruments4engineers.com

Authorized UK & Ireland Rigol Distributor
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:53:46 pm by I4E »

The following users thanked this post: MiataMuc

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2760 on: August 04, 2016, 12:48:27 am »
It would be better to give the scope away to a fellow forum member from a poor country, similar like that great gentleman Dubbie did a few weeks ago with his fully spec:ed Rigol DS1104Z-S:
Great idea (NOT!):

(From http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/detox/electronics/the-e-waste-problem/where-does-e-waste-end-up/ )

It seems noble to give away the sh*t you don't want anymore and think it will be usefull for the less fortunate but in the end of the day the less fortunate also need a proper tool just as he/she needs an iPhone and a PC capable of running Windows 10. I've been down that road before when I wanted to give away an old PC. Next thing I know I was sitting in a tiny PC shop somewhere in Asia re-assembling the damn thing with a new motherboard etc wishing somebody donated a working AC to the shopping mall owner.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:50:20 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2761 on: August 04, 2016, 01:20:21 am »
It seems noble to give away the sh*t you don't want anymore and think it will be usefull for the less fortunate but in the end of the day the less fortunate also need a proper tool just as he/she needs an iPhone and a PC capable of running Windows 10.

Why are you posting such idiotic crap in a thread about a DSO you've never owned, likely never used, and have no real experience with?

The following users thanked this post: MiataMuc, nugglix, AgiRigSig

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2762 on: August 04, 2016, 12:35:49 pm »
It seems noble to give away the sh*t you don't want anymore and think it will be usefull for the less fortunate but in the end of the day the less fortunate also need a proper tool just as he/she needs an iPhone and a PC capable of running Windows 10.
Why are you posting such idiotic crap in a thread about a DSO you've never owned, likely never used, and have no real experience with?
Why? Simple: read a few posts back and you'll notice someone disagrees with your opinion about how useful this scope is. Then people start whining about giving it away instead of putting it in storage until the end of time.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2763 on: August 04, 2016, 12:50:32 pm »
Why? Simple: read a few posts back and you'll notice someone disagrees with your opinion about how useful this scope is. Then people start whining about giving it away instead of putting it in storage until the end of time.

You're still talking out of your ass (i.e. being a troll); someone else's experience is not your own. I realize you have some deep-seated need to post 6 times a day here, but that still doesn't excuse posting crap you know nothing about.

I'm sorry you got burned, but the Rigol DS2000 is not - and never was - the Siglent SDS2000. Of course, you'd know that if you had bothered to watch the full 75-minute in-depth comparison review I posted the week before you made the foolish decision to buy that firmware-deficient DSO - but of course, as you wrote yourself, you lack the attention span to do that. Instead, you bought it anyway, then proceeded to complain continually (and still do to this day) about stuff I had clearly pointed out in the review.

Virtually anyone with any electronics experience and a need for a DSO would be happy to be gifted with a Rigol DS2000.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:59:05 pm by marmad »

The following users thanked this post: Teneyes, nugglix

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2764 on: August 04, 2016, 01:42:34 pm »
Sorry but you are starting to mix things here. I ordered the Siglent SDS2000 before you posted the video but it took a while to get delivered. However my biggest mistake with the SDS2000 was not buying it but keeping it while thinking Siglent would fix the firmware issues in the near future (they still haven't after 2 years BTW). And who is going to watch a 75 minute video while the same information can be put into a short text you can read in under a minute? Text is also easier to refer to later on than a bunch of timestamps for a video. Many vloggers would really benefit from a course in making informative videos and (for starters) use a script for their videos so the end result can be edited into a fast paced short film. Look at the videos from Keysight with Daniel Bogdanoff to see how it's done or any commercial if you want to take fast paced to the extreme while making sure to get the message across.

And don't claim I know nothing about the DS2000. It doesn't take hands-on experience to form an opinion; there are enough reviews and postings about it. At the end of 2015 I looked into both the DS2000 and DS4000 very carefully when looking for an extra scope but decided not to buy either of those due to firmware bugs and price/performance. I'm actually wondering what other scopes you have hands on experience with because your DS2000 seems to be like some sort of golden standard to you. Rigol isn't a soccer club.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:46:11 pm by nctnico »

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2765 on: August 04, 2016, 04:22:28 pm »

Edit:  Request a download link for this from http://www.rigolna.com (Rigol U.S.A.), etc.  You will find the new Firmware for the DS2K
series O'Scope here as of today.

Thanks ted572!

I received the latest firmware (00.03.05.00.01) from Rigol support within a few hours of submitting the firmware request form.
Looks good so far.  The reported bugs in the last firmware version appear to be fixed (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-firmware-(00-03-04-02-01)-bug-of-rigol-ds2000a-oscilloscope/msg830091/#msg830091).
They also included a text file of release notes/change log for each firmware version to date (attached).

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2766 on: August 04, 2016, 04:25:51 pm »
In many of the EEVBlog videos Dave uses his Rigol DS2000 when he has to do measurements!

Offline DG5SAY

• Contributor
« Reply #2767 on: August 04, 2016, 05:29:08 pm »

Download link?

direct download without "request":

http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/ct/1579/p-001a/Bct/-/-/ct1_0/1?sid=TV2%3AMThO8uNxL

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2768 on: August 04, 2016, 06:44:44 pm »
Sorry but you are starting to mix things here.

I don't think I'm mixing things up. I'm hardly the first person on this forum to point out that you appear to be making random angry posts about Chinese test equipment with no apparent motivation other than a chip on your shoulder about making a 'mistake' with the Siglent SDS2000.

And who is going to watch a 75 minute video while the same information can be put into a short text you can read in under a minute?

No offense, but I don't need advice on brevity from someone writing TL;DR reviews that don't fit into a single post - nor video-creation advice from someone that has a diametrically opposed viewpoint from me on how most people prefer to get information about a product they're thinking of buying.

It doesn't take hands-on experience to form an opinion; there are enough reviews and postings about it.

Yes - that's the way opinion works; unfortunately, you sometimes mistake it for fact. And anyone that has formed an opinion about something based merely on other people's opinions - only to change it later after some real world experience - knows that it's a fool's errand to spout off based solely on that.

It leads to erroneous statements - like the one you made recently in another thread about Rigol's "inability" to decode it's entire memory.

At the end of 2015 I looked into both the DS2000 and DS4000 very carefully when looking for an extra scope but decided not to buy either of those due to firmware bugs and price/performance.

As I recall from your postings of the time, you never seriously considered the DS2000 because you absolutely insisted on a 4-channel DSO. Of course, I could be wrong.

I'm actually wondering what other scopes you have hands on experience with because your DS2000 seems to be like some sort of golden standard to you.

This is an argumentum ad hominem, since my overall hands-on experience is unrelated to your total lack of hands-on experience with the DS2000 - but I'll answer it anyway:

1) It doesn't take much research here to see that I've used a Rigol DS1052E for a month (while posting a fair bit about it), used a Rigol MSO1074Z for several weeks, and have posted video reviews of the Owon SDS7102, Hantek DSO5062B, Rigol DS2072, and Siglent SDS2304 (after using each DSO for at least a few weeks). That is the extent of my experience with DSOs. But since I'm specifically interested in the evolution of inexpensive Chinese DSOs and reviewing them, that works just fine for me.

In terms of analog oscilloscopes... well, I've been using them since 1978, so I've lost track of how many I've used or had my hands on.

2) If by "golden standard" you mean that it's the inexpensive Chinese DSO I currently own with which to compare other inexpensive Chinese DSOs - or that most of the other Chinese test equipment manufacturers have been copying Rigol's 'moves' for the last decade - sure, I guess so. But it doesn't take more than a few minutes of watching one of my videos to see me pointing out some feature implemented in a better way on the DSO I'm reviewing than on my DS2000.

Rigol isn't a soccer club.

Do you actually read posts here or just create them? I've written hundreds of posts critical of both Rigol and my DS2000 - seriously, man, you need to get that attention-span problem sorted out.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:49:12 pm by marmad »

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2769 on: August 04, 2016, 06:50:39 pm »
from the release notes:

v00.03.04.01.00  2015/10/10
     - Supporting the EDU models for education market

EDU models?

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2770 on: August 04, 2016, 10:34:59 pm »
Also from the release notes. So, is this version 00.03.05.00.01 or 00.04.04.00.05? Also shows the date as 2016/05/31, so has this release really been ready that long? I seem to remember the MSO/DSO4000 getting a firmware update a couple of months back. Maybe Rigol just grabbed the wrong text for these release notes, or maybe the same bug was present on the 4000 and got fixed in the 2000 as well?

[Updated Contents]
--------------------
v00.04.04.00.05  2016/05/31
     - Modified the naming rule for saving screen snap
     - Fixed the bug of the wave stop updating
     - Fixed the bug of Math expression

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2771 on: August 04, 2016, 10:43:55 pm »
Also from the release notes. So, is this version 00.03.05.00.01 or 00.04.04.00.05? Also shows the date as 2016/05/31, so has this release really been ready that long?

System Info reports "Software version: 00.03.05.00.01 / Date: June 20th, 2016"

I assume the v00.04.04.00.05 listed in the Release Notes is a typo.

The following users thanked this post: CustomEngineerer

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2772 on: August 04, 2016, 10:53:59 pm »
They also included a text file of release notes/change log for each firmware version to date.

FWIW, there are literally dozens of changes, extras, features, etc. that they've implemented in later firmware versions which are not documented in these release notes (just one that springs to mind: when they added EXT trigger as a source for the Pulse Trigger).

I've never understood why this is the case. Bad or lazy record-keeping? They don't want a paper-trail of when certain features are implemented? The public release notes differ from the private? Who knows?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:56:13 pm by marmad »

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2773 on: August 04, 2016, 11:16:44 pm »
They also included a text file of release notes/change log for each firmware version to date.

FWIW, there are literally dozens of changes, extras, features, etc. that they've implemented in later firmware versions which are not documented in these release notes (just one that springs to mind: when they added EXT trigger as a source for the Pulse Trigger).

I've never understood why this is the case. Bad or lazy record-keeping? They don't want a paper-trail of when certain features are implemented? The public release notes differ from the private? Who knows?

Rigol support also included a web link to another release note in the email.  I don't know if this is the public release note that you are referring to.  It lists more changes/fixes for each release but does not include an entry for this latest firmware.  It is attached below.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2774 on: August 04, 2016, 11:22:27 pm »
Rigol support also included a web link to another release note in the email.  I don't know if this is the public release note that you are referring to.  It lists more changes/fixes for each release but does not include an entry for this latest firmware.  It is attached below.

Yes, this is more detailed and closer to something that looks like real release notes (although it only goes back to v00.03.01.00.04).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf