Author Topic: First picture on EEVblog of the new R&S MXO4 series oscilloscope :)  (Read 44835 times)

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Re: First picture on EEVblog of the new R&S MXO4 series oscilloscope :)
« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2023, 07:42:33 pm »
Nice one  :-+
We use the spectrum and power options from our lecroys(WR and HDO) far too infrequently, but it's good to know we have them ;)

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2023, 06:10:12 pm »
So having been living with the MX04 for a few days now, easy size on the bench, screen works well pretty glare free, not really going to say to much at the moment other than the FFT is one of the most nicest & intutive to set up on a scope (given it's a scope not a SA!).
Been playing around with some PLL's in the last week thought it would make a good test given they are low frequency.
One really simple but nice feature, when saving to a usb stick the MX04 automatically creates a dedicated folder (labelled MX04 unsprisingly!) and files them away according, simple but a nice touch imho.
This is also one VERY quiet piece of equipment, like almost whisper quiet!

More to following in the coming weeks...

« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 06:02:07 pm by Sighound36 »
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, jjoonathan, 2N3055, jusaca, pdenisowski, Martin72

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2023, 08:58:32 pm »
Some of the MX04 comparsions being performed back to back with a Lecroy 6054HD) & Wavepro 404HD.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 04:53:12 pm by Sighound36 »
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, egonotto, jjoonathan, 2N3055, pdenisowski, Martin72

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2023, 02:16:53 am »
This is also one VERY quiet piece of equipment, like almost whisper quiet!

Underrated feature in test gear IMO.

The following users thanked this post: jusaca, pdenisowski, derree

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2023, 05:06:25 pm »
With today's lab areas being generally samller, personally I find that quietness & physical size are more important than they used to be, the MX04 is the quietest digital (Possibly of all of the) scope (s) I have every had here in the lab, no small achievement.

Today, I have charactorising some filters and taking a look in depth at some GDPSO supply rails with the MX04, possibly over the weekend some protocol analysis with I2C as well.

A couple more really neat features the FR (Bode plot) wizard is a dream to use & the quick zoom button is cool as well.

Jury is out on the functionality of the screen layout, while the drop down menu's are comprehensive they are also a little distracting for myself.

Onwards and upwards as they say.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 06:05:13 pm by Sighound36 »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, 2N3055, pdenisowski, Martin72

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #205 on: May 11, 2023, 07:16:14 pm »
I really, really like this scope.... ;) 8)

The following users thanked this post: jjoonathan, pdenisowski

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2023, 11:43:12 am »
Jury is out on the functionality of the screen layout, while the drop down menu's are comprehensive they are also a little distracting for myself.

I find the UI a bit "all over the shop" is the best description. Some thing are great, others you ask why they did that.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2023, 03:18:03 pm »
Hi Dave

I would suggest that is a fair assement of what I'm seeing here as well. It's like they have tgaken the other scope manufucturers GUI's and borrowed certain aspects and stuck it togther. Some items are great others are little more than an after thought, zoom discriptor box would be nice as well. It's not that intuitive as well as it's my 6th day with the MX04. These can be rectified in FW so its not a earth shattering issue I feel.

Some indepth look at cabling on Leo Bodnar clock (usb powered) using the 12 bit zoom on both the R&S and Lecroy same setting on both scopes and using both BNC outputs simultaneously. No HD or ERES filters applied using max bandwidth on both scopes 5GS/s SR & 2.5K samples on each scope HTB 50ns / VTA 250mV with 960mV offset

Cable A is a very well known quality T&E 50Ohm coax type BW 6GHz. Cable B is more suitable for higher daylight number upto 26Ghz both are 50Ohm impedance terminations.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, egonotto

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #208 on: May 12, 2023, 06:23:43 pm »
Some images of MX04 using the fully active ZD-10 differential probe on a low level clock signal in conjunction with the FFT both in peak table  & peak on waveform mode. I did notice that the if you either of these two options the wave form pattern plus the harmonic marker lines & FFT itself pulsate (very fast) possible in time with the spectrum sweep speed?  Its distracting in the least. The peak table so far as I can work out itsn't moveable on the screen (happy to be assisted here though!)
Probe set up and calibration simple and intutitive scope recognised all the different probes I have with the MX04 no problem as it should be.
Still amazed by how quiet this scope is, its uncanny  8) Second monitor output is spot on and a very useful, the Lecroy's have this feature in 4K, Rigol does as well though 1080P, either way its handy to have imho.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 09:20:32 am by Sighound36 »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, egonotto, trophosphere, Martin72, Detlev

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #209 on: June 07, 2023, 03:04:18 pm »
This board will not let post this review, I have tried splitting up the posts into two still comes back with this error

No profanity in there or didgy links any ideas?

"Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator."
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 03:20:48 pm by Sighound36 »

The following users thanked this post: tv84, 2N3055, Martin72

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: June 07, 2023, 06:27:01 pm »
R&S MXO4 review round up by @Sighound36:

"Rhode collected the scope at the end of last week, though Dillbert here forgot to pack the scope cover! (Insert appropriate idiot gag here lol) All rectified now.

I would like to thank the team @ R&S UK for their quality service and back throughout the process particularly Joel Jessop & project manager oscilloscopes @ R&S UK Nick Le Bas who’s technical feedback and assistance has been first class.

The MX04 had been with me for over two weeks, I made of point of using it exclusively for my day-to-day R&D, debug and audio investigations. Only used the Lecroy’s for direct comparison purposes.
Well in the previous posts you can read my thoughts on the use of the instrument.

So, to the round up:

Thoughts on the experience which the scope imparted on myself were very positive.

I would like to point out first that we have been 12-bit scope users for over four years, so we are well versed in their benefits of much lower noise & higher accuracy measurement potential. We are an SME company and have five employees and are involved with ultra-quiet power supplies/IoT development (home & wearable tech) some EV work /Green energy projects/Digital audio products. The company has 20+ scopes in various locations and eight of them are Lecroy’s so we are no strangers to 12bit accuracy.

The Rhode & Schwarz MX04 is the company’s first venture into 12-bit ADC scope production and for myself its really good first entrance into this segment of the market. Its nice constructed, great form factor sits on the bench easily and comfortably. Screen is good and I love the bezel less formfactor these days. Probes mount and dismount with a quality feel, and engage with that clunk you would expect from a name like R&S.
The scope boot up time is pretty ‘smick’ as Dave would utter, from memory its under a minute or there abouts.The one item that really strikes you, is this scope is seriously quiet, it is deathly quiet, although that’s all down to being totally embedded hardware I suspect and Nick informed that the FFT has its own processing section as well (which I suspected due to the speed of said feature!)
Stock memory is 400Meg and let’s be honest for most users this is more than they will every use, although expandable to 800Meg should you wish (cost option)
Its sample rate on two channels is the norm for this instrument sector Lecroy’s Wavesurfer 4000HD is 5GS/s on two channels, Rigol DHO4000 is 4GS/s and the Siglent SDS6000A is 5GS/s.
So, the MX04 is one really neat package that’s quiet as a whisper with lack of bench presence (space wise), great screen with nice touch gesture ability as well.

Connectivity is all there, RJ45/USB/HDMI/Ref in etc/DSO 16 channels and options twin channel generator.
4.5 million wave forms impressive, 18-bit humm only available with the 20Mhz BW restriction in place and realistically its between 14 & 16bits depending on what BW and sample rate you are using.
Loan scope I used didn’t come with the digital probe set so I can’t comment on that aspect of the scope sorry.

The MX04 fast acquisition time, images on the screen looked crisp and clean easy to identify signal fluctuations and time lapse triggering set up points when looking for those rare event captures.
The FFT is in all honest what I expect from agreeably the best RF measurement company today (maybe the Keysight UXA has some claim to that). Anyway, its fast, precise, easy to read and to SET up one area I appreciated over my Lecroy. The image presented is top draw in the FFT department.
R&S know RF like very few others, so if I was going to entice potential sales from other scope manufacturers why not play to my strengths, it will attract certain buyers no question and that is what all this is really about sales after all.

Given that R&S are relative newcomers to the scope market, they have come on a long way since they entered this market and given, they are privately owned it shows commitment to longer term projects and ranges.

Summing up, this scope warrants more detailed reply than the half baked Keysight MXR offering three years ago (nine of the circles I more in industry wise use these devices I found yet)

What I liked:
  • Compact & clean lines on the MX04
  • Its inconspicuousness on your lab or work bench due to its formfactor and quietness did I mention its very quiet!
  • Boot up time & screen clear & crisp views
  • Accuracy, repeatability & instrument confidence for myself VERY IMPORTANT
  • ****Pricing**** see below.
  • HDMI output also very good, for myself this would be a deal breaker for others no.
  • Probe quality, identification & calibration excellent.

Not so liked:

• The GUI, sorry it’s a mishmash of Keysight/Teledyne/R&S take ways, way too busy. Yes, lots of drop-down options but no flow to using the instrument.
  • Resolution enhancement HD yes all the others have a software defined type of filter, but having an HD button that lights up well ok? 18 bits @ 20Mhz or less I know it’s all number crunching but did it really give my anything that I don’t already have Er... no.
  • The lights that are around the main rotary knobs are a little bright and distracting (Personal I know).
  • When in zoom mode, no indication of that, a zoom descriptor box next to the channel being used box would also be helpful.
  • Being able to use the mouse to click and highlight the portions of the waveform of interest to appear rather that showing that four-way arrow indicator.
  • When the FFT peak table or marker functions, on a split screen both the FFT & waveform ‘pulsated’ at the same time possibly on the sweep?
  • The peak table I just couldn’t move it from the lower left-hand corner which I found strange, used both fingers and mouse. With the frequency markers on the harmonic spurs which were nice and ledge able they looked worse as the two screens pulsed.
  • The lack of decoding & serial data apps is telling at the moment, I know that a power analysis app is in the pipeline soon.

Some of them may seem small gripes which I can see and understand, however if you are going to lay out this coinage then you need to feel comfortable with all aspects of your chosen instrument and this for some maybe a sticking point, for others no issues, fully appreciate that.

If having a ‘smick’ FFT and 18 bits in a nice rounded package for you then the MX04 must be on your audition list near the top.

Costings, when this was released the top of line model was close on 30K, today 9 months later the top-of-the-line model with all options and gennys is around 19K for the 1Ghz model I was loaned (plus vat here in the UK). A 200Mhz basic model is £7460 which I would suggest is tempting for a few folks and SME’s I feel. Not sure this is a hacker special though lol

Do I feel it was the world’s most powerful scope? Some, marketing blurb yes lol, yes it more than capable in multiple areas and does that very well indeed and without fuss. However not once did I feel hey, I missing something here apart from the very slick FFT and set up menu absolutely 100% its just right no question.
The Lecroy’s are computationally more powerful (just not geared for 4M waveforms plus) with dedicated apps & the way their MAUI OS runs, but they are powerful PC’s in essence. In fairness the MX04 is ahead of the Wavesurfer 4000HD same sample rate and runs 2.5GS/s on all four channels and slightly better than the HDO4000 which has 10GS/s rate. Though these have far more apps and mature OS.

That said, firmware and features will grow with the R&S MX04 over time, it’s a new platform and with their future ranges not too far away and greater bandwidths and sample rates in the offering there is a lot of promise that will be delivered by R&S I feel.

The package has been engineered to shake up the market and they (R&S) have worked hard to achieve this level of performance. Respect is due here.
Would I change for the MX04, no we are too far down the Lecroy road and probe costs are the biggest outlay here. However as good as the MX04 and it is decent, it’s no 6000 series Lecory, but you do pay a premium for this. IMHO the GUI is far more intuitive and useable, plus the tool box apps are many and very in depth. Very mature software with regular updates. The fact there is no Jitter/power integrity /power conversion /full serial embedded debug is critical for ourselves.
For other potential purchased this may not register for you.

What I can say is this if you are in the market for a quality scope at realistic pricing and are stuck in 8 bit land then, the R&S MX04 should be on your demonstration list no question at all.

Thoroughly recommended B+/A-"

by Sighound36

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, nctnico, 2N3055, pdenisowski, Martin72, Detlev

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2023, 06:34:14 pm »
A big thanks to Sighound36 for his review (I was just the poster). I asked him to put in words his recent enjoyable sessions with the MXO4 and, this time, he wrote plenty! IMO that (subconsciously) says a lot of his experience.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, pdenisowski, Martin72

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2023, 08:02:51 pm »
Big thanks to the review!
Hopefully R&S will listen to the "not so likes"....

Offline pdenisowskiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2023, 10:12:21 pm »
Big thanks to the review!
Hopefully R&S will listen to the "not so likes"....

Yes, we're definitely listening :)

I can't publicly comment on the MXO4 roadmap, but some of the "not so likes" are already being addressed.

I'm not sure why people don't seem to appreciate HD mode: it's actually very useful in certain applications.  In fact, I made a short video explaining HD mode, how it works, and where HD mode can add value :)

Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, egonotto, Detlev

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #214 on: June 08, 2023, 09:26:28 am »
For some reason the forum just would not let me post it  :-//

Hello Paul

The HD button is the same as ERS on the Lercoy though upto 15 bits (which is located in the main individual channel set up section, you can select the amount of bits in 0.5 bit steps) I have owned the previous RTO2000 scope which gave you '16 bits' 8 of them in software. and was used the HD thunderbird two luanch sequence   :-DD.

Comparing the two it did not offer anything I don't have already, However if you are not used to this level of refinement and the ability to 'hone in' on signals buried within the noise, then yes I can see this being quite a revaltion for the user  8)

Not taking away the fact is a great scope  :-+

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #215 on: June 09, 2023, 09:38:54 am »
Apologies in the main review I forgot to mention two other quality points I missed off the list.

MX04 'extra likes'

Bode plot ability and set up wizard can't fault it spot on, simple intutive and for oursleves with filter characterisation almost essential (Lecroy take note!)

A very small but neat feature of when saving any screen information to usb drive, the MX04 automatically sets up and labels a file named MX04, may not seem a great deal but if in the heat of battle and you need a quick one-shot screen grab of an important event, you will not miss it by having to set up and label a file. Rather than going back a trawling through many files to find it.

Like I mentions simple, but very useful  8)

Offline luudee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2023, 08:29:49 am »

Just got my MXO4 eval unit !

This thing is huge!!! It makes my Siglent 5104X look like a toy !  The screen is gigantic.

More later !

luudee

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Martin72

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #217 on: June 27, 2023, 08:39:23 am »
I actually found it about average size wise, although that depends on the size of your bench in fairness, it's very close to the HDO6000A size. Let us know how you get on with this quality scope  8)

Shortly I will have another review of some great Rohde & Schwarz equipment the FPL spectrum analyser.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 05:25:54 pm by Sighound36 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055, pdenisowski, Martin72

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2023, 06:41:03 am »
The screen is gigantic.

No one has ever asked us to make the screen smaller :)

And there's also an HDMI output, so you can go even bigger ....
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline luudee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2023, 10:38:10 am »

My MXO4 Review
------------------------

Disclaimer: I am not a professional reviewer, these are just some
observation from using the MXO4 for 7 days.

Looking through the forum, I feel like Sighound36 did a great job
reviewing the MXO4. I only have had mine for 7 days to play with,
and focused mostly on the usability aspects and user interface.

To learn how to use the MXO4 I pulled out one of my customers
projects, where we had some issues with SPI interface. I wanted
to see if the MXO4 would be better or worse than my SDS5K.

Previously, I had many issues with the SDS5K when I tried to do
large captures. Unfortunately, the MXO4 exhibits very similar issues.
It cannot decode a simple SPI interface. It also has issues
triggering properly. Yes, I had the voltage levels/threshold set
correctly. I can see transitions and manually decode the correct
values, but I was expecting the MXO to do that. I observed the same
failures in both Logic Analyzer mode and analog scope mode.

The zoom feature of the MXO4 is great if you want to examine a part
of signal wave form. Something like under or overshot, for example,
it is great to zoom in. However, if you are trying to zoom in on a
large capture, the zoom function of the MXO4 is horrible and I can't
see myself using that in real life debugging sessions. It is quite
common for me to capture "long" transactions. In these cases when
I want to zoom in to examine a smaller section, the MXO4 zooming
becomes useless. R&S should take a look at how Siglent implemented
zooming and expend their zooming capabilities.

Overall, the User Interface is very slow and buggy. The unit freezes
randomly, and requires a power cycle. Simple adjustments, like
horizontal zoom, can freeze the unit for up to 15 seconds, before
it updates the screen.

The UI & menus take a bit getting used to, that's not necessarily
bad, but I did feel that the menus were confusing at times (specially
trying to set up a trigger for SPI decoding, for example). Compared
to Siglent, I found they grouped the functions and menus more logically.

For me, the MXO4 is just not worth it. My SDS5K that costs 1/4 of
the MXO4, and does everything I need and in many areas much better
than the MXO4. My next scope must have a faster user interface and
excel in decoding various protocols.

luudee

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055, maxwell3e10, Martin72

Offline shabaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #220 on: July 13, 2023, 02:15:38 am »
Hello,

From my perspective, I liked that the display could be set up to pack a lot of SPI decode visually on the screen, which is useful for data transactions of many dozens of bytes. Where a data transaction is even longer, for instance, involving hundreds of bytes (perhaps during a file read or write in an SPI Flash file system) then it was able to comfortably automatically decode while zoomed out to the view of the entire transactions.
The protocol export functionality is also very impressive, in decent formats (particularly HTML and Python formats), allowing for further analysis (e.g. generation of ping-pong diagrams or for profiling).
See here for an example of SPI decode (at time 23 minutes 33 seconds, if it doesn't automatically start from that point):

The two screenshots show the scaling of the protocol decode view.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 02:26:52 am by shabaz »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #221 on: July 13, 2023, 10:43:30 am »
It cannot decode a simple SPI interface.

It also has issues triggering properly. Yes, I had the voltage levels/threshold set correctly. I can see transitions and manually decode the correct values, but I was expecting the MXO to do that. I observed the same failures in both Logic Analyzer mode and analog scope mode.

This is very surprising to me:  I've worked with the SPI decode extensively and it works very well.  In fact, here's a short video I made a few weeks ago showing the MXO4 SPI decode in order to help diagnose issues people here were having decoding the SPI output of the Batronix demo board using other (non-MXO4) oscilloscopes:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-scope-demoboard-from-batronix/msg4899155/#msg4899155

I did an entire video showing how to configure and decode SPI on the MXO4

I can post lots of other examples (screenshots, videos) showing the SPI decode on the MXO4 using a variety of SPI signal sources.  It's worked every single time I've used it.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #222 on: July 13, 2023, 10:47:09 am »
Here's a video I made back in March while I was working on the "Understanding SPI" and "Decoding SPI" videos - MXO4 correctly (and easily) decoding SPI coming from a Raspberry Pi connected to a 7 segment display

and a screenshot of the MXO4 decoding SPI traffic correctly at > 40 Mbps  (also made back in March).  The hex values are just "PAUL" in ASCII over and over :)  This one was made using the logic probes instead of analog probes.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 10:52:03 am by pdenisowski »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #223 on: July 13, 2023, 10:58:14 am »

Overall, the User Interface is very slow and buggy. The unit freezes randomly, and requires a power cycle. Simple adjustments, like horizontal zoom, can freeze the unit for up to 15 seconds, before it updates the screen.

Which FW version were you using?  This also is very surprising to me.

It sounds very much like the unit you were using was not current hardware or firmware: we have many, many MXO4 users and there are many independent reviews of the MXO4, including Dave's own review (and he is absolutely not shy about pointing out problems :)) and they are all overwhelmingly positive and without the issues you are reporting.

Offline luudee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #224 on: July 13, 2023, 11:03:23 am »

@Paul,

I don't know what firmware the unit had that I was testing.

I spent 7 days trying to make it decode a perfectly valid SPI stream (very long 256K transaction), and could not make it work.

I stand by my review.  It was not able to do any decoding, neither analog nor digital.

I am glad to see you guys are looking in to it.

luudee

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf