Author Topic: NovaSource RF Signal Source - Help needed  (Read 2305 times)

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
NovaSource RF Signal Source - Help needed
« on: February 01, 2020, 09:25:57 pm »
I bought a couple of these RF signal sources to play with:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nova-Engineering-NovaSource-RF-Signal-Source-120-160-MHz-X-1-KHz/262691227545?hash=item3d299e0799:g:s58AAOSwXeJYD98n
They arrived today and work ok on a fixed frequency of 122.88MHz.
I've been trying to communicate via the RS232 port. There is no information on the www.nova-eng.com web page nor on L3 Nova Engineering (both taken from the label attached to the product) but I did find this site:
http://www.novatech-instr.com/
Which has very similar instruments with some manuals.
From the manuals it appears that the RS232 should be 19,200 baud 8 bit 1 stop bit and no parity or hardware flow control.

I've tried these (and a variety of other settings) with no luck (using Putty).

Does anyone have any experience with these and do they know how to talk to them? The manuals from the above site list a rather simple protocol but I get no response at all unless I turn the thing off and on and then I get a few random characters.

Any help would be great - it would be nice to be able to set other frequencies!

EDIT: I've also tried using a null modem (though the manuals state that straight through should be used) and this makes things worse (no response even when restarting).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 09:57:11 pm by jpb »

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: NovaSource RF Signal Source - Help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 10:15:35 pm »
Just in case anyone else is buying the NovaSource RF Signal Source, I'll report what progress I've made:
By sending emails I find that it is not a novatech-instr instrument.
By experimentation I find that the RS232 settings are:
38,400 8bit 1stop No parity No flow control.
With the above settings it responds:
>OK
to a <CR> and
ER 2
to anything else I've tried entering
On restart it responds
) 2002 Nova Engineering, Inc.

And that is all I've managed so far.

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 09:42:18 pm »
Can you post some teardown pics? Is there some firmware that can be easily dumped maybe?

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 10:39:02 pm »
Thanks for responding.
Tear down photos attached. (Sorry, they're not the best but I've done it in a bit of a hurry as I need to get to bed - work tomorrow.)
It contains a PIC and a Xilinx FPGA(I presume). There are some pins which I guess may be JTAG. Unfortunately I don't have a pic programmer - though I might get one if it enables me to look at the code.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 10:42:03 pm by jpb »

Offline w3ua

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 11:46:38 pm »
Hi,
Did you find the solution? I got the same unit to interface between Red Pitaya 122-16 (which requires 122.88 clock) and GPS disciplined master oscillator (10MHz). Unfortunately, my unit does not lock on 10MHz MO frequency. I suspect it was programmed differently. I can't find any reference to its RS232 command set or NSCP 2.0 software

which should control it. Any ideas where either can be found? I don't expect any cooperation from Atlantic Microwaves or L3, who OEMed this device in early 2000...

Thanks,
Gene

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 10:47:48 pm »
Sorry about being a few months late in this reply - I've only just seen it.

No, I didn't manage to get any more information.

My units were/are preprogrammed with 122.88 MHz and they locked ok but I think they are rather noisy so perhaps not ideal as clocks.

I've just been looking at the Red Pitaya with external clock though it is rather pricey.

Another unit (higher frequency came up on ebay fairly recently and I asked the seller about software and information and after an initial response saying they'd get back to me there was no further reply so I guess they too hit a dead end.

Offline roxbox

• RoxBox Karaoke
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 10:37:41 am »
just seen this, I have NovaSource G6 Control Panel that should work, If needed, I will post it if allowed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf