Author Topic: Fluke 1653 firmware for ERR1  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Photon45Topic starter

Fluke 1653 firmware for ERR1
« on: April 04, 2022, 10:13:48 am »
Hi Guys!

I got Fluke 1653 tester with the typical ERR1 message. After an intense check I would guess that the electronic is fine. :-\

Another user in this board wrote about the differences in communication between a working and a not working unit.  :-+
My device has exactly the same bahviour. The communication between the measurement and display controllers shows quite clearly that the problems is the microcontroller (MSP430f149) - or the software in it. To evaluate that I startet an approach to read out the firmware. It worked! The JTAG protection fuse was NOT blown!

To verify that the controller is fine and the downloaded software is working I replaced the MSP430f149 with a new one and programmed it with the old firmware. The communication output is the same.
Means - the controller is not the problem and reading out the firmware works!

The only thing is that the ribon cable to the display unit must be removed after starting the tester and before downloading to avoid that the controller has to react on the display controllers commands. No clue why but without this step I got a different read out with two programmers. I used an ASIX Presto and a TI MSP-FET.

Now my cry for help: could anybody read out the firmware of a working unit and share it with me?  My tester is a 1653 (1651 - 1653 should have the same formware).

Thank you very much for your help!

Photon

Re: Fluke 1653 firmware for ERR1
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 08:49:29 am »
I don’t want to dispose this unit. Can nobody help?

I would pay for it!

Offline Mav_2014

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 12:53:51 pm »
The firmware isn't the issue and you will get nowhere trying to plant settings from one tester into another. The tester will have lost its calibration constants and needs taking through the factory setup process to learn them, the settings are individual to each tester and are inputted by IR and not the Jtag interface, all that will do is let you see the firmware and constants that have been wiped. Trying to put constants in from another tester will only produce a severly out of spec tester at best, usually it will throw an immediate fault when shown voltage to prevent damage.

There's a reason only a few of us fixed these, you need some very precise equipment and a very expensive power supply for the loop setup with current limiting.

My advice is save yourself the heartache.

Flooked.

Offline service

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 10:01:10 am »
Hello Photon!
 Did you manage to solve the problem with firmware 1653?

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 04:08:13 pm »
Not really! I spend some additional time but stopped that project and the end!

Thanks to mav_2014 for his answer!
I was quite sure that the firmware itself was fine but - as he wrote - the eeprom content could be wrong. But if the device starts without an error I would pay for a recalibration. So copying the whole content should make the device running again.

I bought a second 1653 (with a different error with was not affected by the software). Swapping the processor board makes the device running (means the second one had an error in the measurement board). But flashing a new MSP430 and changing it seems not to work. I tried it two times (two microcontrollers) and stopped it at the end. At the end I combined the working microcontroller board with the working measurement board.

As additional information, I  had some trouble flashing the MSP430 but no clou why or what went wrong. I could not write data anymore after some trials.

Photon

Offline Enzocsw

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 11:27:27 am »
 Good morning, I also have a 1653b with corrupt firmware and error1
 If you think it is possible to read the firmware from a working unit I would be willing to purchase one to read the firmware and be able to repair the faulty units for you and me.
 Can you explain to me how you read the firmware so I can read and send you the correct content?
 Let me know thanks

Offline Matty

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 05:40:06 pm »
Hello, is anyone willing to supply there firmware for any fluke 165x (good or bad).
I've attached my 1652 f/w which maybe bad!.  The program in general appears to be correct, and the checksum is correct for the information at 0x1000.  But it does not appear to be enough data?, it may have been overwritten with default data?

I used jtag with a VM running Win XP.  I used a program called "MspFet" ver 1.6.1007.  The later version did not work for me.

EDIT: the f/w does not contain the BSL Bootloader.  But that part works because it does output some serial port error codes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 10:45:43 am by Matty »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf