Products > Test Equipment

FLUKE 175

(1/4) > >>

Syko_:
Hey guys,

My university uses mostly Fluke 175 True RMS DMM's for all of it's electronic labs, some of the research labs and whatnot.

I was curious about what you guys thought about them?

Cheers

TJCornish:
They are a high quality meter.  What specifically would you like to know?

AG6QR:
I own the 179, another meter in the same series.  They're in the same case, and look the same.  The 179 has slightly higher accuracy, and has the ability to measure temperature, but is otherwise essentially the same as the 175.

The meter does what it's supposed to do.  It is very rugged, both mechanically and electrically, and it has good, safe input protection.  It has fast autoranging, good quality latching continuity beep, and a very fast bargraph.  It has very long battery life.

As you move up the Fluke line, you can add new features like low-pass filters, microamp range, even data logging on some models.  You can also add slightly higher basic accuracy.  But, aside from the slightly different accuracy specification, the higher models don't do the basic job of measuring voltage, current, resistance and capacitance much better than the 175.

Paul Moir:
I use a 175 for a field repair meter.  For that it's very good.  I'm pretty sure that's it's intended purpose.

It is a little limited in low current measurement (0.01ma resolution) if you're into that for your electronics work.  The capacitance measurement is 1nF at the lowest so it's pretty much only for repair work.  No REL button, which I suppose keeps people out of trouble but is a bit of an annoyance for electronics.  Selectable auto-power-off which I really like because I often accidentally leave the meter on.   Fluke's autohold.

There's no backlight on the 175, but that may be fixable.  It looks like everything is there to do it, and if you hit the buried button the meter beeps.  On the other hand, since discovering this I haven't bothered to set it up and have begun to really doubt the utility of the backlight.  Are you really going to be probing in the dark?  I haven't wished for it yet.

Only real annoyance is you have to disassemble it to replace the fuses.

HeyTom:
I have a Fluke 177 and an Agilent u1241B.

The Agilent has more features and comes with a sheet that tells you how close it is to the specifications.

However, the fluke is a little easier to use because it has less features, has a great auto hold and the continuity is much quicker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version